Which Vangelis era do you prefer?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109883
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 09:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which Vangelis era do you prefer?
Posted By: jude111
Subject: Which Vangelis era do you prefer?
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 11:56
Which Vangelis era do you prefer?

1970s: Albedo 0.39, L'Apocalypse des Animaux, Beaubourg, China, Earth, La Fęte Sauvage, Heaven and Hell, Ignacio, Magic (with Demis Roussos), Odes (with Irene Papas), Opera Sauvage, Spiral, 666 (Aphrodite's Child)

1980s: Antarctica, Blade Runner [unreleased soundtrack], The Bounty [unreleased soundtrack], Chariots of Fire, Direct, Dragon, The Friends of Mr Cairo (Jon & Vangelis), Hypothesis, Invisible Connections, Mask, Missing [unreleased soundtrack], Private Collection (Jon & Vangelis)Rapsodies (with Irene Papas), See You Later, Short Stories (Jon & Vangelis), Soil Festivities

1990s: 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Bitter Moon [unreleased soundtrack], Blade Runner, The City, El GrecoOceanic, Voices

2000s: Alexander, Mythodea, Rosetta

Replies:
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 12:03
The 1970s are probably his most critically lauded (especially by prog fans); the 1980s were his most prolific and commercially successful (probably); yet, while is output in the 1990s slowed considerably, I find myself lately drawn most to the material he produced during this period.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 12:23
C'MON!!! 

Apart from that "Chariots Of Fire" song, I'm not much into his post-'70s stuff.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 12:38
70s all the way! But mostly for two releases that aren't mentioned in the OP: Dragon and Hypothesis - the former being my absolute favourite Vangelis release. Sorta like Vangelis doing mushrooms in an Indian bazar whilst theowing these fat unhinged organ riffs out in the perimetre. The Greek keyboard wizard's Krautrock album, I kid you not.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 12:59
'70's closely followed by '90's.

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 13:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

70s all the way! But mostly for two releases that aren't mentioned in the OP: Dragon and Hypothesis - the former being my absolute favourite Vangelis release. Sorta like Vangelis doing mushrooms in an Indian bazar whilst theowing these fat unhinged organ riffs out in the perimetre. The Greek keyboard wizard's Krautrock album, I kid you not.

Cool, I added those 2 to the list:)

Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 13:33
Thanks man:)
I know they weren't supposed to see the light of day - basically high quality demo tapes - but I am so thrilled some guy at the studio dug them out of obscurity...during the same decade no less. Usually takes ages before those types of deals materialise.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 13:40
90s, 70s, 80s, 00s, in that order.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:19

Indeed - not even the 'B-side' tracks being entitled Stuffed Aubergine and Stuffed Tomato can detract from its brilliance.

Hypothesis shouldn't be sneezed at either - very much the Free Jazz Odyssey of his oeuvre. Though I doubt he ever tried to play it for a festival crowd. It stands alongside the magnificent s/t album from Axis when it comes to truly far out Greek albums of the period, IMO.

Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:23
Good call! I haven't spun that Axis album since the cold war. Methinks a revisit is in order. Funny how small things like a mere post over PA sparks interest in long forgotten records.

Stuffed Aubergine is brilliant. The dish is also tops but not nearly as rhythmically enhanced.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:27
Socrates drank the Conium - Phos
and
Aphrodite's Child - 666

for me, not to wild about the others..

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:48
Close call for me between the 70s and 90s, but will go with 70s mostly for China and Heaven and Hell, plus Albedo 0.39 and Spiral were my first intro to him.  There are others that I have not heard that have peaked my interest to try from then also.

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 16:24
My fav album of his is Albedo ----but also loved Heaven and Hell and See you Later which I thought was so cool as an arty college student----and like some of his stuff with Jon (Jon really blew that friendship---they were good together) so I voted 70's.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 22:17
1970s.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 09:56
Really now...

the 70s.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 13:11
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Except that you didn't. Those are my two favorites as well. And actually Sex Power as a third fave just to be difficult

Thanks man:)
I know they weren't supposed to see the light of day - basically high quality demo tapes - but I am so thrilled some guy at the studio dug them out of obscurity...during the same decade no less. Usually takes ages before those types of deals materialise.
Really? Got both on vinyl and never really thought there was a demo-tape quality to them. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 13:20
I did word that rather poorly, but what I meant to say was that Vangelis himself never meant for any of those recordings to be released. Someone at the studio obviously thought otherwise.
High quality demo should be: delicious studio jam

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 15:31
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Except that you didn't.

Except that I did. Everything's in alphabetical order.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 15:55
70s.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 16:19
Okay, I did vote '70s, because these albums are simply amazing, and there's nothing else like them out there...

1970s: Albedo 0.39, L'Apocalypse des Animaux, Beaubourg, China, Earth, La Fęte Sauvage, Heaven and Hell, Magic (with Demis Roussos), Odes (with Irene Papas), Opera Sauvage, Spiral, 666 (Aphrodite's Child)

...but I love these albums just as much!

1980s: Antarctica, Blade Runner [unreleased soundtrack], The Bounty [unreleased soundtrack], Chariots of Fire, Direct, DragonThe Friends of Mr Cairo (Jon & Vangelis), HypothesisInvisible Connections, Mask, Missing [unreleased soundtrack], Private Collection (Jon & Vangelis)Rapsodies (with Irene Papas), See You Later, Short Stories (Jon & Vangelis), Soil Festivities

^Soil Festivities is sorely underrated!! 

Btw, Hypothesis and The Dragon were both originally released (unauthorized) in 1978 (but composed/recorded in 1970-71).

And Vangelis' new album Rosetta is OUTSTANDING! A real return to form!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 17:07

1970s: Albedo 0.39, L'Apocalypse des Animaux, Beaubourg, China, Earth, La Fęte Sauvage, Heaven and Hell, Magic (with Demis Roussos), Odes (with Irene Papas), Opera Sauvage, Spiral, 666 (Aphrodite's Child)

P.S. The list is missing Ignacio (1977).

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 18:36
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

How disappointed are you that Vangelis wasn't tapped to score the upcoming Blade Runner sequel? The minimalist Jóhann Jóhannsson seems all wrong for the project, imo. But we'll see; I hope to be proven wrong. I'd still much rather have Vangelis doing it...

Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 18:54

How disappointed are you that Vangelis wasn't tapped to score the upcoming Blade Runner sequel? The minimalist Jóhann Jóhannsson seems all wrong for the project, imo. But we'll see; I hope to be proven wrong. I'd still much rather have Vangelis doing it...

I'll give JJ the benefit of the doubt for now. It's a movie I'm not even sure should be made, but I'll definitely be at the theater. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 20:56

<span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">And Vangelis' new album </span><em style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Rosetta <span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">is OUTSTANDING! A real return to form!</span>

I'll give JJ the benefit of the doubt for now. It's a movie I'm not even sure should be made, but I'll definitely be at the theater. Wink

I have only seen Blade Runner once... I got it last year because of it's cult status. I guess I have to give it a few more watches. However, the music did add to the atmosphere and all, and I do believe they should have gotten Vangelis again, given that he is still available. The dimension of the films is very different, specially because of the amount of sequels and prequels, but it almost seems as if you would have a Star Wars film without John Williams doing the score.

Date Posted: January 10 2017 at 11:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I have only seen Blade Runner once... I got it last year because of it's cult status. I guess I have to give it a few more watches. However, the music did add to the atmosphere and all, and I do believe they should have gotten Vangelis again, given that he is still available. The dimension of the films is very different, specially because of the amount of sequels and prequels, but it almost seems as if you would have a Star Wars film without John Williams doing the score.*

I've enjoyed the film since the '80s, and I certainly can't imagine it existing without Vangelis' magnificent score.

*Rogue One ...!

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 10 2017 at 12:12

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2017 at 12:16

I have only seen Blade Runner once... I got it last year because of it's cult status. I guess I have to give it a few more watches. However, the music did add to the atmosphere and all, and I do believe they should have gotten Vangelis again, given that he is still available. The dimension of the films is very different, specially because of the amount of sequels and prequels, but it almost seems as if you would have a Star Wars film without John Williams doing the score.

When Blade Runner came out in the theater in 1982, I was 14 and pestered my parents to take my brother and I. (I should add that I was a huge Pink Floyd fan since discovering them in 1978 as a pre-teen.) When the film began and those thunderous booms and magnificent synths began, I was transfixed. I was absolutely positive as the film progressed that it was Pink Floyd who had done the music - from the bluesy, Shine On-like "Blade Runner Blues" to the eerie opening theme and creepy "Memories of Green" (that 9th note over a minor chord - how Floydian!), to the lush sax on the Love Theme. No one else but Pink Floyd was making music like this (not that I knew of), no one else combined spacey synths with bluesy soulfulness. I remember I made my parents stay to the end of the credits, waiting to see "Music by Pink Floyd," but being shocked that it was by someone I never heard of, "Vangelis." Ever since that day, I've been obsessed by Blade Runner.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 12 2017 at 01:53
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

My fav album of his is Albedo ----but also loved Heaven and Hell and See you Later which I thought was so cool as an arty college student----and like some of his stuff with Jon (Jon really blew that friendship---they were good together) so I voted 70's.

Strange...Heaven and Albedo are the two that I prefer but I absolutely hate See You Later apart for Memories of Green

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 12 2017 at 06:38
In terms of 'progressiveness' then has to be the seventies especially as it includes probably his greatest masterpiece China. That's a perfect Vangelis album! Also 666 is one of the best 70's albums imo.

However I think these are all masterpieces as well and none are 70's
El Greco
Voices
Direct
Antarctica
Soil Festivities
Mask

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 12 2017 at 06:56

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Except that you didn't.

Except that I did. Everything's in alphabetical order.
Oh - they were both recorded in 1971 and released in 1978 though. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

In terms of 'progressiveness' then has to be the seventies especially as it includes probably his greatest masterpiece China. That's a perfect Vangelis album! Also 666 is one of the best 70's albums imo.

However I think these are all masterpieces as well and none are 70's
El Greco
Voices
Direct
Antarctica
Soil Festivities
Mask

Soil Festivities in one word: sublime. I always recommend it to other people who I know who enjoy EM, but have never heard that record. "I'll get around to it." (They don't know what they're missing!)

Direct, which I bought new in '88 (whew!), is a seriously underrated album. I likened it to a return to his Spiral sound, just more modern (for the time). The CD had that great bonus track "Dial Out" (I had to upgrade, because I had first purchased it on cassette!).

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:53
1.- 666 (Aphrodite's Child)
2.- Heaven & Hell 
3.- Albedo 0.39

Can live without the rest

-------------

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: January 12 2017 at 11:29
1970's 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 12 2017 at 21:11

When Blade Runner came out in the theater in 1982, I was 14 and pestered my parents to take my brother and I. (I should add that I was a huge Pink Floyd fan since discovering them in 1978 as a pre-teen.) When the film began and those thunderous booms and magnificent synths began, I was transfixed. I was absolutely positive as the film progressed that it was Pink Floyd who had done the music - from the bluesy, Shine On-like "Blade Runner Blues" to the eerie opening theme and creepy "Memories of Green" (that 9th note over a minor chord - how Floydian!), to the lush sax on the Love Theme. No one else but Pink Floyd was making music like this (not that I knew of), no one else combined spacey synths with bluesy soulfulness. I remember I made my parents stay to the end of the credits, waiting to see "Music by Pink Floyd," but being shocked that it was by someone I never heard of, "Vangelis." Ever since that day, I've been obsessed by Blade Runner.

I guess I have to put the movie again. I don't remember finding such a connection to Pink Floyd music (which are my favourite band), but then again, I have known the band for a long time, and have known of Vangelis for a very long time too (even if I don't know his discography nearly as intimatley as the Floyd's). Tough I guess I understand what you mean... if Pink Floyd had decided to do an instrumental album giving Wright's keyboards the spotlight, it might have sounded something like that.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 13 2017 at 22:32
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Strange...Heaven and Albedo are the two that I prefer but I absolutely hate See You Later apart for Memories of Green

Understand----don't love the album but at the time thought it was cool and a departure from his other stuff---I haven't heard it recently ---hard to find the CD.

Date Posted: January 14 2017 at 07:17

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Understand----don't love the album but at the time thought it was cool and a departure from his other stuff---I haven't heard it recently ---hard to find the CD.

If you stick with it, that album can grow on you. The title track "See You Later" is especially good:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZrANBlh8k" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZrANBlh8k

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: January 25 2017 at 12:00
`70`s.................................DeadBig smile

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Ghostof82
Date Posted: February 03 2017 at 00:57
1970s. China is my fave album of his- it still sounds so fresh decades later. Hoping the remaster out today in the Delectus box set is good, and he hasn't tinkered with it too much. He was so prolific in the 1970s, some really exciting experimental stuff. You get a sense with each album he was pushing boundaries.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 05 2018 at 21:19
70's

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: May 05 2018 at 23:58
1970s

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: October 06 2023 at 08:41
1970s! I'm showing off my new brain to my sock drawer.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: October 06 2023 at 09:07
Another vote for the 1970's. Smile

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 06 2023 at 09:30
The first vote for the 2000's.

Date Posted: October 06 2023 at 22:56
There is now Juno to Jupiter to add on. A bit of a RIP thread sadly. Vangelis didn't score the Blade Runner sequel but it turned out to be a superb film nevertheless under the sure footed guidance of Denis Villeneuve

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 06 2023 at 23:32
Hi,

ALL OF IT.

(... there's no option for that one, though!)

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: October 07 2023 at 02:55

666  Big smile

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: October 07 2023 at 02:57
1970 res by miles ( Earth is my fav)

Posted By: Lumenko
Date Posted: December 31 2023 at 02:21
Every era of Vangelis was great. I voted for the 1980s due to Blade Runner's film music, which is his finest hour regarding his film music opus, and due to "See You Later," which is my personal favourite studio album by Vangelis. It's an underrated Vangelis album, maybe due to the fact that it was never released in the United States.

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: December 31 2023 at 05:46
My favourite Vangelis works are the two collaborations he did with Irene Papas - 'Odes' (1979), and 'Rapsodies' (1986). Irene's theatrical/operatic style vocals gives the stunning music of Vangelis oomph and passion like no-one else could.

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: December 31 2023 at 10:01
1970 ies Earth is my top 1
the rest is elevator stuff

Date Posted: December 31 2023 at 19:15
Originally posted by Lumenko Lumenko wrote:

Every era of Vangelis was great. I voted for the 1980s due to Blade Runner's film music, which is his finest hour regarding his film music opus, and due to "See You Later," which is my personal favourite studio album by Vangelis. It's an underrated Vangelis album, maybe due to the fact that it was never released in the United States.

I enjoy that album a lot but it maybe doesn't always go down that well with those who expect a certain style from Vangelis. This has a more modern 'post punk' approach but I love Multi Track Suggestion (with Vangelis vocals!) and the title track ft Jon Anderson. Memories Of Green made it's way onto the Blade Runner s/t. 
80's was a sold decade for Vangelis. Mask is a masterpeice as is Soil Festivities. Direct was almost an out and out prog album and also a masterpeice. Then there is the wonderful Antarctica. It's all pretty brilliant. I remember even J M Jarre commenting how much he liked Vangelis music at the time (around 1985). Praise from your peers is always a big thing.

Date Posted: December 31 2023 at 19:18
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

My favourite Vangelis works are the two collaborations he did with Irene Papas - 'Odes' (1979), and 'Rapsodies' (1986). Irene's theatrical/operatic style vocals gives the stunning music of Vangelis oomph and passion like no-one else could.

Yep both are great and sold very well in Greece drawing upon traditional Greek folk music.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk