Print Page | Close Window

Phil Collins 'Not Dead Yet'

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
Forum Description: Reviews of prog books, memorabilia, etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109951
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 07:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Phil Collins 'Not Dead Yet'
Posted By: Flight123
Subject: Phil Collins 'Not Dead Yet'
Date Posted: January 14 2017 at 12:06
The wife got me this for Christmas.  There is a lot of personal stuff here but of interest to PA readers will be the reminisces about Genesis.  Collins does not add much new material (read 'Chapter and Verse' for that), although there is a bit more detail, for instance, on the day he auditioned for Genesis and how chuffed he was to get the gig.  It certainly disabuses the notion that he was responsible for the band's shift to pop.  Apparently, on two occasions he proposed that they become an instrumental group after Gabriel departed.  Imagine that!  The band did meet in 2005 to discuss resurrecting the Lamb, but it came to nought.  I get the feeling that Collins has been demonised too much in the past; he set about being a professional drummer with single-minded determination and you can't knock him for that.  He also explains why he is was not responsible for the Led Zeppelin 'Live Aid' debacle.  Go on - have a read - you know you want to!

Replies:
Posted By: Darious
Date Posted: January 14 2017 at 12:45
I saw this book at Tesco's the other day, had a look through it, and I quickly realised that I need to read it in a wholly. It does look like a nice piece of work, well worth a read

-------------
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)

Posted By: BunBun
Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 09:41
Good to hear, I plan on picking it up at some point this year. Trying to get through some other books atm though.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 06:01
I've only just started Rutherford's The Living Years biography. Maybe I'll get to this one by 2021? Now we need Banks to write his memoirs.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Blinkyjoh
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 08:15
I read both. I think the Living Years spends more time talking about Genesis stuff than Phil's book. Both were good reads. I had no idea of Phil's health issues the last half dozen years.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 08:41
I do, I do! By the way, what does "chuffed" mean?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 02:53
Chuffed?  Slang - very happy, delighted - can also mean something else (consult Roger's Profanisaurus)

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 13:56
I'll always have a soft spot for Phil, but after last year, this book's title seems most inappropriate. Confused

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:29
^Oh yeah? What happened last year (I'm on freaking pins and needles)?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:58
Ah...never mind.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 07:19
Hi,

I will probably end up getting and reading these, but I doubt that I will review them or comment on them a whole lot. In some ways, I look at these as "the star speaks", and I am not sure that this helps explain the art and the work as much as something else can ... and for this reason, I stick to the books that are unusual and out of the norm.  The kinds of things that helped develop new musics and arts ... not just another pop song!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 09:20
Collins' account will probably hit the discount shelf at the local Barnes & Noble in about six months (or sooner). Will buy it only then as I can expect that a good deal of it will, naturally, coincide with his "solo career," that period wherein he achieved his greatest fame. I don't expect him to wax poetically on the recording of Genesis' 1976 landmark album A Trick of the Tail, so my desire to read the book is limited.

-------------

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 09:34
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

^Oh yeah? What happened last year (I'm on freaking pins and needles)?
Lemmy Lake Prince Emerson Bowie...

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 09:36
Ohhhhhhhh ... !

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 13:07
Who are you kidding? I can almost hear you humming Su..Su..Sussudio.

Posted By: biglevel
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 17:42
I like the story of that book so much. But reading it really takes time.

Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 12:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Who are you kidding? I can almost hear you humming Su..Su..Sussudio.
I could see myself humming it as I can't recall much else - Collins' solo output being that good.

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 13:34
I can't lie! I subconsciously turned up the volume on Sussudio once in my car! Embarrassed

Date Posted: January 26 2017 at 14:50
Lemmy Lake Prince Emerson Bowie ... you mean there was more?!

-------------

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 12:41
Interesting to read the comments by members. I'm curious to read Phil's story, despite some reservations about the man himself.

Date Posted: February 11 2017 at 04:17
It's a very honest account; Collins concedes that he became arrogant in the 80s but much of it was to do with the industry as well....

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: March 04 2017 at 15:32
Rumour has it that Phil has included instructions in his will that any posthumous editions are to be re-titled "Alright, I'm dead - happy now??".

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 07:10
I finally got around to buying this and found it to be an enjoyable read. I wish it had more detail about the Genesis years. The book seems rushed in many places and that might be because Collins was so busy in different stages of his career, that when he reflects on certain periods it comes off as a blur. One thing I have noticed about this and some of the recent baseball biographies I've read, is that some people are obsessed about one particular thing they really like. For Ted Williams it was hitting a baseball, almost non-stop throughout his childhood that turned him into one of the greatest hitters in baseball history. Collins seems to have had a similar obsession with drumming. It appears through his childhood and teenage years, he was doing it all the time. In one part of the book he describes drumming along with the music on the television, while his parents are watching it!

He appears to have liked a wide variety of music: Motown, jazz, British pop and rock of the 1960s, even mentioning Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets album. This really isn't far off from influences many other rock musicians had growing up in the 1950s and 1960s. He was influenced by several jazz drummers and was a big fan of Ringo Starr, John Bonham, and Keith Moon.

The one overarching theme seems to be that he can't seem to sit still. Even prior to his joining Genesis, he was a very active person, possibly what you might call a workaholic. He's also a "yes' personality, meaning when someone asks him about doing something, he always says yes. This would explain the flurry of activity from the 1980s. Immediately after the success of his first solo album, Phil Collins became the "in" thing for musos back in that period and it gave him the opportunity to work with some people he considered heros, like Eric Clapton. He admits he was everywhere and he now understands why people were sick of seeing or hearing him constantly on radio and television.

Another theme that is brought out is his insecurities about his own songwriting and anything he does from outside the drum kit. This includes performing as a vocalist in front of the stage during the Trick of the Tail tour to having Ahmet Ertegun convince him his first solo album was worth releasing. In fact, he was doubtful of his abilities as a composer until Disney approached him about the Tarzan animated movie.

It's a very personal autobiography, dealing with his father's death, his several divorces, an affair he had that broke up his second marriage, his guilt of not being there for several of his children while constantly touring, his medical issues, how touring became grueling in the late 1980s, his battle with alcoholism in his later life, and several attempts at retiring.

Overall the book seems rushed, yet it's personal and has a good deal of self-reflected humor in a British sort of way. The Genesis years could do with a bit more detail. He doesn't spend much time on Brand X. The 1980s period seems rushed, but there is a lot of ground to cover there. There was so much going on for him in the 1980s that he seems to focus one one aspect of it, then reverses it in the next chapter, so there is a lot of back-and-forth temporally. He spends a lot more time on his pre-Genesis years than I expected. Still, an enjoyable read, but not as much detail on Genesis as Mike Rutherford's autobiography.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk