Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109992
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 14:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Uncomfortable Concert Moments
Posted By: Rednight
Subject: Uncomfortable Concert Moments
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 14:38
Saw the thread for "Unforgettable Concert Moments" and thought of this new one. For instance, Tony Levin f'king up the bass line on Red during Crimso's '81 tour in San Diego. I winced. I'm sure this is to prove a short-lived thread, but contributions are welcome regardless.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Replies:
Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 14:58
I saw Charlie Haden's Quartet West at the DeCordova Museum's outdoor theater in Lincoln, Mass on a verrrrry hot and humid evening.  Haden's bass just wouldn't stay in tune, and he had to stop frequently in the middle of songs to tune it up.

Uncomfortable in more than one way.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 16:05
pfff....   Micky drops it to add to his PA's record for thread 'wins'

can't top this one...LOL or the story behind it....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 16:46
Gotta be the time 60+ year old David Lee Roth flashed us at Van Halen... Dead

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 16:52
As I mentioned in the other thread, when I saw Tangerine Dream for the first time in 1988 at the California Theater, in San Diego...

...the sound cut out completely during the last encore, the title track of the new album Optical Race.

Ralf Wadephul aka "the new guy" jerked his head one way and then threw his arms up and laughed. Paul Haslinger was shaking his head. Edgar Froese was concerned, but just for a moment. Then they all got up from their keyboards, and Edgar grabbed a mic and went "Sorry, folks...sometimes these things happen!"

My friend saw Rush on the Hold Your Fire tour (I didn't get to see them till they came back 'round for Presto) and he said Geddy went into the chorus of "Limelight" too soon, but Alex and Neil caught it. Whew! No such goofs when I saw them...those were flawless shows, give or take.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 17:33
Some years ago I went to see Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, as they were advertising playing the whole of Argus.

Now I'm just a casual Ash fan, but evidently there are some serious true believers out there. I discovered this when the band came out and I remarked to my companion that Martin Turner's white linen suit was a little ill-advised. I should have said it a bit more quietly, because the woman standing in front of me, who was quite small but extremely fierce, immediately turned round and bellowed "IT'S HIS TRADE MARK!!!" in my face. I spent the rest of the gig envisaging being lynched by a posse of rabid Martin Turner fans.

As to the gig, they played two sets, and of course they played Argus as the second set. The first set was devoted to new and unrecorded archival material. This choice of running order was presumably made on the assumption that if they played Argus first most people would leave as soon they finished it. Which showed a certain amount of self-knowledge, since the new and unrecorded archival material was, to put it charitably, sh*te.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 17:39
When, during the Purple Rain tour at S.F.'s Cow Palace, Paula Abdul made a surprise appearance and stunk up the place... I mean bad.

At the Ronnie Lane Appeal when Jeff Beck's amp started dying a loud and terrible death.

And in 1984 when Van Halen, ever the drunkards, allowed Roth to stop songs in the middle of them to babble on about nothing in particular (anyone ever notice it was always one of the band's birthdays?).

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 17:55
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Now I'm just a casual Ash fan, but evidently there are some serious true believers out there. I discovered this when the band came out and I remarked to my companion that Martin Turner's white linen suit was a little ill-advised. I should have said it a bit more quietly, because the woman standing in front of me, who was quite small but extremely fierce, immediately turned round and bellowed "IT'S HIS TRADE MARK!!!" in my face. I spent the rest of the gig envisaging being lynched by a posse of rabid Martin Turner fans.

LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 19:36
Quite a few but too lazy to think in english right now.

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 20:10
Witnessing "Judas Priest" on their god awful "Screaming For Vengeance" tour which was way too loud, and I was a combination of hungover and peaking on some really crappy acid; the worst night of my life.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 20:54
Transatlantic, on the Kaleidoscope tour. One of the keyboards broke and they had to get technicians to try and fix it up... which in the end they just weren't able to do. In the end they got into the Kaleidoscope song with one less keyboard player... Ted Leonard would just go and make mock air playing at some parts. However, to tell the truth, I couldn't tell the difference (though in great part that would be because I hadn't been able to get the album yet by that time, and had only heard it a few times through Youtube). While they were trying to fix the keyboard, Neal Morse came out with an acoustic guitar to play a few songs by himself, which weren't part of the show and surely weren't particularly rehearsed.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 21:57
That one time when Bruce Springsteen says "hey, baby" and pulled me out of the audience to dance with him to Dancing in the Dark.  That was so uncomfortable, especially with the cameras rolling!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 22:39
this one is a mixture of uncomfortable and great. I was at an Eric Burdon concert. Brian Auger was the keyboarder. during one song the guitar player broke a string and had to fix his guitar in the midst of the song while the band kept going. Auger saved the day though by filling in with an improvised keyboard solo until finally  the guitar player had put in a new string and rejoined the group

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 23:58
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe in Rome. Jon has a cold and is unable to sing. During Brother of Mine stops singing and Rick is very disappointed. Jon remains on the stage but the other three and Tony Levin go on instrumentally. Probably just to save the incomes. Anyway they are so good musicians that I'm not too disappointed at the end.

Ian Gillon band with Toni Iommi at guitar. During a solo Iommi climbs a pile of speakers and loses the jack of his guitar. Then he goes back, reconnects the jack and restarts the solo, but has again the idea of climbing the speakers and the jack falls down again. So he throws the guitar on the floor and the band stops playing that song. More funny than disappointing. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Replayer
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 00:20
Another technical glitch story: I was at a Joe Satriani concert and the other guitarist, who also doubled on keyboard, was supposed to strum the introductory chords to Not of This Earth as Satriani was sustaining one note, segueing from the previous song.

Well, there were a lot of guitars on stage, at least half a dozen for Satriani and a couple for the supporting guitarist, so the crew must have missed hooking this one to the amp. As Satriani was sustaining this note on one side of the stage, the other guitarist noticed no sound is being heard from his guitar. A guitar tech rushes to the stage to try to fix it. The guitarist decides the show must go on and plays the arpeggiated chords on his keyboard to buy the guitar tech time to fix the sound!

Satriani notices the sound and key is wrong so he stops playing and crosses the stage to see what's going on. While Satriani was bantering with the crowd, the guitar tech was able to fix the guitar and the band and audience gave him a round of applause.

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 06:49
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

That one time when Bruce Springsteen says "hey, baby" and pulled me out of the audience to dance with him to Dancing in the Dark.  That was so uncomfortable, especially with the cameras rolling!

thought I recognized you in the video. I was right!

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 06:56
April 4, 1976  Dallas-  I had won a pair of second row seats to a Joe Cocker/Sammy Hagar concert.   My best friend and I were looking forward to rocking out with Ex Montrose lead singer Sammy Hagar.   The Joe Cocker crowd wasn't into Sammy Hagar.  They didn't boo,  they just stared, sitting there bored.  The ever manic Sammy Hagar ran and jumped like a crazed chimpanzee while jamming his heart out.  Finally, Sammy Hagar harangued the crowd, screaming...

"What's wrong with you people?  Are you on valium?  When Montrose would come thru here,  Dallas would go crazy.  Well f**k it.  I'm going to have a good time, whether you do or not!" 

Afterwards, Joe Cocker's crew quickly prepared the stage for the main attraction.  While watching the roadies, I couldn't figure out why they put out two microphones for Joe - once a foot of the ground plus the standard microphone stand.   His band came out and jammed for a jazzy 20 minutes and then Joe hit the stage, carrying a pop corn sized container of beer.   OMG was Cocker clocked.  The foot high microphone was there for when Joe fell down drunk. 

Joe Cocker reminded me of a bored monkey as he kept picking his ass and this is happening while he was singing "Your So Beautiful"  And the Dallas crowd loved it! 

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 07:30
Halloween 1995...Allow me a King Crimson uncomfortable concert moment.  I'll let King Crimson tell the story with a direct quote from DGM  King Crimson diary...

Good Evening. Welcome to the very first show of this King Crimson here in Texas. We have some frightening stuff prepared for you, so hold onto your pumpkins” announces Belew at the start of the show. Belew had little idea just how frightening things would get on this Halloween Eve gig. Eyewitness Paul Ciminero tells the tale. “At the end of the show the entire band stands out front and bows together..some moron threw something at the stage and hit Fripp in the head...” From a slightly different vantage point, Alan Edmonds: I couldn't tell what it was; it appeared shaped like a small Frisbee but colored red and white like a Coca-Cola can. The crowd groaned in shock and mumurs of 'there goes the encore' were heard throughout. Mr. Fripp put his hand to his head and started looking around for the object. The band left the stage and the crowd started clapping and hollering again. For some reason, the band came back out and did three songs for the encore(s). One of them was the three drum percussion number with Adrian, Bill and Pat. During this number, you could see Mr. Fripp walking around in the back with his hand to his head. No word was mentioned about the incident with the thrown object.”

I sat about 20 rows back.  I thought the mystery missile to be a Budwieser bottle.   I remember being totally embarrassed for Fort Worth and concerned for Fripp because the can or bottle hit Fripp hard.  It had to hurt.  Here's another eyewitness account from the King Crimson DGM diary thanks to Steve Parker

Halloween Fun!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 08:19
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Yes it was, please take dancing lessons.......

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 08:40
-As mentioned in the other thread, seeing Steve Howe solo in a bar was a real thrill.  We stood 10 feet away smoking cigs and downing beers as the master played beautifully.  Then, to the horror of all, he stood, strapped on an electric, and started singing "Heat of the Moment."  Oh dear....

-Kim Deal of Pixies walking up to us and casually informing us she had just taken "a huge dump."  That's rock and roll. 

-At Yes in '94, the drunk guy next to me screaming at the top of his lungs during every quiet moment....."play something from the 70s!!"  He eventually got his wish and quieted down. 

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 08:53
Here is one that I did not witness personally but know from the excellent Amon Düül 2 biography "Tanz der Lemminge" by rock journalist Ingeborg Schober.

There was a festival at the Hippodrome in Paris in 1973 or 1974 (I would have to look it up in the book but I think it was 1973). Hawkwind had the gig before the Amon Düül 2 gig and needed a lot of time to get their gear off the stage. The audience grew impatient, tension was building, and someone in the audience broke a chair and threw the backrest on stage where it hit synth player Kalle Hausmann on the shoulder. Bass player Lothar Meid threw it back into the audience where it hit someone full in the face. To save the situation Meid then plugged in his bass guitar and played the Marseillaise. What followed was one of the best concerts the band ever gave, but that situation certainly was uncomfortable.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 08:58
Seeing Rush at the Sports Arena in San Diego (back in the 90s, don't remember the exact year), the sound was horrible, and my ears buzzed for a few days.
Last time I saw Ian Anderson. He could barely sing, and it was painful seeing him that way. The music was great as usual, but his voice is another story.

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 09:18
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

My friend saw Rush on the Hold Your Fire tour (I didn't get to see them till they came back 'round for Presto) and he said Geddy went into the chorus of "Limelight" too soon, but Alex and Neil caught it. Whew! No such goofs when I saw them...those were flawless shows, give or take.

One time that I saw Rush in Florida during the 80s (I don't recall what tour it was--I've seen them at least once every tour all the way back to 1974), Neil was very sick--sick enough that they probably should have cancelled the show, but he soldiered through.  Well, I don't know if it was just the illness or whatever medicine they might have given him to help him feel better and get through the show, but he was all over the place that night tempo-wise.  Songs were way faster or slower than normal, he was speeding up and slowing down tempos during the course of tunes, Geddy and Alex were looking back at him and rocking their guitar necks up and down to try to help dictate tempos, etc.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 09:46
Transatlantic show, Portnoy I don't think was in a good mood (imagine that!! LOL), but there was a guy who kept coming to the front of stage and taking pictures of Portnoy and flash was going off occasionally. 
I saw MP motion to the guy enough, after about 30 minutes and finally MP got so pissed he flung a stic at the guy, did not hit him. 
Then his drum tech came to everyone in front row and said no more pics with flash.......I get it, but it was rather funny and disturbing, put a damper on the front row.

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 09:50
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Transatlantic, on the Kaleidoscope tour. One of the keyboards broke and they had to get technicians to try and fix it up... which in the end they just weren't able to do. In the end they got into the Kaleidoscope song with one less keyboard player... Ted Leonard would just go and make mock air playing at some parts. However, to tell the truth, I couldn't tell the difference (though in great part that would be because I hadn't been able to get the album yet by that time, and had only heard it a few times through Youtube). While they were trying to fix the keyboard, Neal Morse came out with an acoustic guitar to play a few songs by himself, which weren't part of the show and surely weren't particularly rehearsed.

Your post reminds me of two things:

Spock's Beard at Prog Fest '97 — Neal stopped the set cold because, as he flat-out told us, "I have to tune my guitar."

Transatlantic at Prog Fest 2000 — Roine Stolt had a brand new guitar that buzzed whenever he played it. He played a quiet outro and smiled, with that bzzzzzt happening. They didn't seem able to do anything about it, so they stopped worrying about it. Meanwhile, Neal took a few opportunities to poke fun at Pete while he sang his verse of "Strawberry Fields Forever": he yelled, right as Pete was singing: "Clap, people! Come on! Make him feel better!" LOL 

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 10:00
1) Cluster in Montreuil (near Paris), at the venue Instants Chavirés (2012)
Not only I didn't really enjoy what they were playing this evening (some kind of dub-like music, with deep bass and steady rhythms, quite boring after 10 minutes), but I also think they ended the concert by mistake: the music stopped rather abruptly, in the middle of a measure, like one of them pushed on the "off" button by misguard... And the two of them looked at each other, in a glance full of awkwardness...
Yet, the audience happily clapped. Go figure...

2) Tuxedomoon in Paris (2016)
Here, no problem with the band, just with a drunk guy in the audience, RIGHT BEHIND ME, screaming: "The Italian album! The Italian album!" (not sure which album he was referencing) - even if the band was playing the songs of their first album (Half Mute, released 35 years ago).
Luckily, one of my brothers' friend was also here and told the guy to 'shut the fug up', so we could enjoy Tuxedo's performance in a quieter ambiance.

3) Peter Brötzmann, Ken Vandermark and Mats Gustafson in Potiers (2008)
At first, the trio seemed to play together: three angry saxophones ravaging the small venue (Carré Bleu) for 45 minutes. I was not impressed, rather bored by what sounded like a caricature of Free Jazz / free improvisation.
Yet, at some point, everyone in the audience realised that Brötzmann wasn't playing anymore: he was on a side of the stage, just standing here, not blowing his saxophone, not doing anything... There was something wrong and wicked going on, we all could feel it... Then, he walked a little to his "partners" and said them something in English that no one understood: whatever he told them, they stopped playing immediately, and Brötzmann went on a clarinet solo (still doing his "angry free jazz" stuff).
When the concert ended, we saw Vandermark and Gustafson running to the backstage, seemingly not happy and merry at all, while Brötzmann went quietly at the bar of the venue...
I went back to the Carre Bleu the following week for another concert and asked the people working here what happened last week: in fact, when listening to the tapes, they heard what Brötzmann told his musicians: "It's impossible to play with you, motherf**kers! Let me play alone five minutes, motherf**kers!"
Charming ambiance...

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 10:05
^ The stage is too small for three saxophones LOL

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 10:06
I saw Steve Hackett in Cleveland (a few times) and one show was a disaster despite Hackett's best efforts. Constant sound problems and other technical difficulties, culminating in a mic stand falling over, with a live mic attached. Hackett, at that one moment, looked ready to spit venom.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 11:20
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe in Rome. Jon has a cold and is unable to sing. During Brother of Mine stops singing and Rick is very disappointed. Jon remains on the stage but the other three and Tony Levin go on instrumentally. Probably just to save the incomes. Anyway they are so good musicians that I'm not too disappointed at the end.

I saw Sting once when he had a bad cold and was losing his voice.  He profusely apologized, tried everything he could to be able to sing at all--he took a couple extra breaks, he kept drinking tea and honey, etc. BUT, his voice kept going out, and so it ended up being about an 80% instrumental show instead, and it was just smokin', because that was a tour with Branford Marsalis, Omar Hakim, Kenny Kirkland, Darryl Jones etc.  It ended up being a bunch of cookin' instrumental fusion versions of Sting tunes.

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:39
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Seeing Rush at the Sports Arena in San Diego (back in the 90s, don't remember the exact year), the sound was horrible, and my ears buzzed for a few days.
You're stating the obvious about the San Diego Sports Arena (affectionately known at times as the Sports Aroma). The place probably has the worst acoustics in the States and should have been razed years ago (albeit I do have some fond memories of past shows there).

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:46
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

You're stating the obvious about the San Diego Sports Arena (affectionately known at times as the Sports Aroma). The place probably has the worst acoustics in the States and should have been razed years ago (albeit I do have some fond memories of past shows there).
Yes, I agree, the acoustics are really bad in that building. However, I saw Yes (the Union tour) and Peter Gabriel  at the same venue, and the sound was quite good. It's a shame to hear Rush (I'm not blaming the band), in such horrible conditions. The worst concert (in terms of sound) I've ever attended.

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:02

Yes, I agree, the acoustics are really bad in that building. However, I saw Yes (the Union tour) and Peter Gabriel  at the same venue, and the sound was quite good. It's a shame to hear Rush (I'm not blaming the band), in such horrible conditions. The worst concert (in terms of sound) I've ever attended.

"In The Round" – May 14, 1991! I was there, too. Helluva show! Also saw Rush at the Arena on April 5, '90! I recall it sounding pretty good, though. I saw Rush from the 8th row at the Forum in L.A. two nights earlier, and I couldn't hear Geddy's bass half the time...which sucked, considering that's the element that got me into Rush in the first place! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:03
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

One time that I saw Rush in Florida during the 80s (I don't recall what tour it was--I've seen them at least once every tour all the way back to 1974), Neil was very sick--sick enough that they probably should have cancelled the show, but he soldiered through.  Well, I don't know if it was just the illness or whatever medicine they might have given him to help him feel better and get through the show, but he was all over the place that night tempo-wise.  Songs were way faster or slower than normal, he was speeding up and slowing down tempos during the course of tunes, Geddy and Alex were looking back at him and rocking their guitar necks up and down to try to help dictate tempos, etc.

That's must've been something! LOL

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 19:53
^ That's why they're the only prog band still originally intact.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Entity79
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 22:02
I went to see Rush at the TD Garden in Boston on the Time Machine tour. Something with the pyrotechnics near the end of Far Cry shorted out Alex's wireless unit on his guitar, which caused him to mime the last minute of the song.

For a good 5 minutes they tried to get it working, and being the total goofball he is, Alex goofed off while they were troubleshooting. He was clearly annoyed, but played it off well, and when they finally got everything fixed, they kicked into the most blistering version of La Villa Strangiato I've seen in years. You can find it on Youtube, it's hilarious.

Posted By: timbo
Date Posted: January 20 2017 at 14:29
Twelfth Night, probably around 1983 or 84, Huddersfield Student's Union.
Some girls wandered in from the bar, and tried to get the mostly male, over-serious audience dancing. After a few awkward embarrassing minutes they left us to it, muttering about us being boring.

Looking back, it's strange how I wondered why I couldn't get a girlfriend back then...

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 17:38
Another Rainbow story.  This time it was 1979, and Dio was out of the band.  Their performance was ok.  The opener was a then young and relatively unknown John Mellencamp (known as John Cougar at the time).  He started the set with his early hit, "I Need a Lover."  I had always like the opening exposition of that song, but the Rainbow crowd did not.  People booed and cursed, throwing things onstage.  I felt rather bad for him.  Maybe half way through the song he held his hands out to stop the band, which they did.  "There is only one thing I want to say to you," he told the audience, and flipping the bird with both hands shouted "F&^$ You!"  and ran off stage, the band clearing out quickly as well.  No riot this time

I once waited two hours with 60,000 other people for Led Zeppelin to come out after Derringer's raucus performance at the Oakland Colosseum.  That also happened to be Judas Priest's first west coast tour.  Most of us did not know who they were, but they rocked our faces off.  The show being during the day, Zeppelin gave a lackluster performance.  Robert Plant said that if they seemed slow it was because they got out of bed 1/2 hour before the came on stage.  At 3:00 in the afternoon.  This was 1977.

I thought I permanently damaged my hearing seeing Robin Trower in the early 00s.  Thankfully, not.

A buddy of mine saw Bill Ward totally lose it mid-show.  Screaming, he trashed his drum set and left the stage to never come back.  Not sure what happened after that.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 19:34
I'll share a few.

I saw Jon Anderson solo back around sometime in the last decade I guess and at some point during "nous sommes du soleil" he forgets the lyrics and some people in the audience had to sing it to him and then he remembered and kept going. Not sure how intentional it was though. Maybe he just wanted to see how well the audience knew the song. You never know. Tongue 

When I saw John Wetton with District 97 he forgot some of his lyrics to(from a King Crimson song no less)but I kind of remembered(I think I even mixed up the words) and shouted it out to him and he picked up on it and continued. 

After seeing Francis Dunnery live(yeah I know he is only marginally prog)some guy walks up to me with a pen. I have a shaved head and so apparently he thought I was him. I mean come on. You just saw the guy live and you still think I'm Francis Dunnery? Right then the real Francis Dunnery comes walking past and I said something like "here's the guy you want" or "here's the real Francis Dunnery"(I don't remember verbatim what I said)and Francis comes over and shakes my hand then gives the guy an autograph. 

Posted By: biglevel
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 17:50
Uncomfortable concert moment looks funny to audience. What could it be to someone performing the concert? lol I can't help it.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 17:56
Here's another one, and it had nothing to do with the band.  Simply stated, I was too close to the stage.  I saw Steve Hackett in '79 I think, at a small club.  Me and me droogs bought dinner tickets so we could get as close to the stage as possible.  There is a difference between the front row in an auditorium where you still have some space between you and the band, and being in a club where there is no space.  As it was, I sat right next to John Hacketts stage monitor, so most of what I heard was flute and Taurus pedals, catching other sounds in between.  Still, I enjoyed the show.  A similar thing happened to me at the above mentioned Trower concert, but there I was standing next to his loud stage amps.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: February 02 2017 at 12:59
A very pissed Linda Thompson performing with Fairport Convention at their 1981 annual reunion fest. at Broughton Castle.   Her marriage to Richard was breaking up and it was excrutiating to behold.  The band tried to ignore her...

Date Posted: February 02 2017 at 15:26
Not prog, but Cat Stevens was performing in Cleveland in the early-mid 70s and the audience wouldn't quiet down. He asked them politely 3x to be quiet. The crowd for the most part ignored him, the "shhhhh!" was as loud as the noisemakers, and he walked off mid-set and did not return. No refunds.
Also, in Akron OH, said triple bill: Mr. Big, Gentle Giant and Renaissance. This was around 1976. Mr. Big, an act no one wanted to see, played an overlong set and then came out for an unrequested encore and played 3 more songs despite boos. Gentle Giant finally came out after a long set change and blew us all away. Another superlong set change and Renaissance takes the stage. They played one song and some guy with a suit and tie came out to the mic and announced that Akron had a curfew and the concert was over.
Luckily, I got to see Renaissance that fall at a now defunct unique revolving round theater called The Front Row. They were great.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Date Posted: February 02 2017 at 15:51
Saw City Boy open for Nektar in '78 or '79 (after Roye Abrighton had left), and boy did they blow. My pals and I were chafing at the bit for them to be over and relinquish the stage to who we really came to see, but their set seemed endless. And those stage antics were right out of some boys school production. At one point, their lead singer was taking exaggerated steps across the stage with his thumbs hooked into his suspenders while we were all dying a thousand deaths. Intolerable, it was. I heard once that Peter Hammill had something to do with them, but I couldn't see why. Just awful.

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2017 at 16:55
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

A very pissed Linda Thompson performing with Fairport Convention at their 1981 annual reunion fest. at Broughton Castle.   Her marriage to Richard was breaking up and it was excrutiating to behold.  The band tried to ignore her...

Apparently their relationship was so bad at one point that while they were still performing together she would intentionally trip Richard as he walked out on stage. I do believe they eventually became civil towards each other though(way after the divorce though).

Date Posted: February 02 2017 at 17:59
Another concert in Cleveland that I just recalled. The only time I ever saw Roy Harper, back in the '80s, he was playing at a small club on the city's west side.
About two songs into the show some drugged up chick walked onto stage and began talking over the show; security was nowhere to be found and Harper was fit to be tied.
Finally fans made enough noise that somebody got the ditz off the stage, but then a few moments later Harper suffered a horrid nosebleed and the show ended early. Roy's nose wouldn't stop bleeding, and they wheeled him off on a gurney to a nearby hospital.
As they took him from the building, fans were yelling at him because he hadn't autographed their CDs. It was awful. He never returned to Ohio as far as I know. Who can blame him?

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: February 03 2017 at 02:55
Roy Harper was always good value for uncomfortable moments - for example, I saw him 'moon' at the audience back in 83.  I didn't see it but apparently at Glastonbury in 81 he had an on-stage punch up with Ginger Baker.

Posted By: zonefish
Date Posted: February 03 2017 at 14:03
Elton John at the Cricket Wireless/SleepTrain/Coors Amphitheater (or whatever the hell they're calling it these days) near San Diego about 7 years ago...opens with Funeral for a friend...gets about 3 minutes into it...stops playing and excuses himself to leave the stage to evacuate his bowels (he admitted it!). He returned about 10 minutes later and started the concert again.

Date Posted: February 03 2017 at 21:36
Originally posted by zonefish zonefish wrote:

Elton John at the Cricket Wireless/SleepTrain/Coors Amphitheater (or whatever the hell they're calling it these days) near San Diego about 7 years ago...opens with Funeral for a friend...gets about 3 minutes into it...stops playing and excuses himself to leave the stage to evacuate his bowels (he admitted it!). He returned about 10 minutes later and started the concert again.

OK, this one wins the contest.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 02:10
Seen dozens of uncomfortable concertsAngry, most of them due to uncomfortable seatsOuch or highly f**ked up sonic issues Pinch(sometimes the hall/arena, sometimes the PA going to high), and generally it's not just for momentsSleepy, but for the duration of the event. Tongue

But I guess the thread title mean embarrassing moments.Big smile

Plenty of those as well, but some of the examples written by you all are unbeatable.

Maybe some other day.

Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:52
Uncomfortable Concert Moments, part 2:
At an improvised music concert, two avant-garde dancers which made a remarkably vivid impersonation of mentally disabled people...
It really, really made me uneasy, not because they were doing something obscene or scandalous, but because they were doing something very realistic, like from a scene from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 16:01
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

At an improvised music concert, two avant-garde dancers which made a remarkably vivid impersonation of mentally disabled people...
It really, really made me uneasy, not because they were doing something obscene or scandalous, but because they were doing something very realistic, like from a scene from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

How did the rest of the audience react? Because the way you described it made it sound hilarious, when it clearly isn't!

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 16:24
During Rick Wakeman solo performing on grand piano of a selection of exits from his own and Yes careers (and a few funny stories and jokes in between the songs) a couple of middle-aged Belgians sitting just next to my seat didn't stop firing their cameras, capturing dozens of god-knows-what subtle nuances of RW performance.

After long minutes of patient sufferance (that seemed like eternity) I finally decided to exercise my French, with the good result of stopping that madness but which sadly left us all a little uneasy for the rest of the evening.

Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 23:33
Now that Wakeman is being mentioned, I remember seeing on a DVD that, besides the concert, he made speeches, and in one of them he told how he was drunk for one of his concerts. I guess I'll put a Youtube page I found before writing my very rusty memory of the anecdote (didn't really see it again right now to re-tell it, but it will be much funnier for anyone to watch it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxoTiXx3w2U

Now I don't remember the thing correctly, but he was drunk since before the concert, and he got the idea of spicing things up a bit and changing the beginning track. So he went to the brass ensamble and told them to begin with some song, and then he went to another part of the band and told them to begin with a different song, and I think he went with three different songs. Once the concert began, everyone was with something different, and since it was three parts, each part saw that the other was playing something else and assumed they were wrong and tried to switch to the right song, but at that time another part of the band had already switched, and they went so for a while. There was something of a pipe organ on that stage that came from the floor, and Wakeman thought of using it, but something went wrong and he came bleeding or something. And what's even weirder, next day he was handed a review of the concert, and the reviewer gave it a great one, saying that he usually didn't like Wakeman's music, but the show was an eye opener, that he began with a pastiche of whatever that was brilliant, and the final scene with the blood... however, assuming it was all intentional for the show.

Posted By: Skip
Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 03:07
I think for me the problem is most shows are just so crowded. You always struggle to see band in question unless you are right at the front. But hey still not complaining. Recently Saw "The Skints" In a small venue in Southampton and it was just fantastic about 200 people in total. Larger shows defiantly get crowded.

Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 04:26
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

How did the rest of the audience react? Because the way you described it made it sound hilarious, when it clearly isn't!

Well, most of the audience was made of musicians which knew the two dancers: they looked like they were to used to that kind of performance and were not disturbed.
I, too, had already seen these two dancers, but their previous performances were less creepy.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:34
In 40 plus years and after seeing 100s of gigs I can't recall any uncomfortable moments that relate to Prog bands. 

At Glastonbury one year an old guy (who I believed at the time was Mick Abrahams because he played quite a few Tull numbers, but perhaps not) was jamming away on a battered guitar in the Croissant Neuf cafe (this was in the era before it had its own stage at the festival) when an 'unkempt youth' interrupted him and asked if he could "have a go". The look of bemused dejection on the old codgers face when the kid proceeded to strum a poor rendition of 'Wonderwall' was priceless...

...as a one-time band manager I've experienced a number of  toe-curling moments that I can now look back on with amusement. 

At a gig in Camden Pub (the "Dev" for those that know it) our bass player was tasked with driving the van full of gear up from deepest Hampshire while the drummer acted as his co-pilot and navigator. Meanwhile I transported the lead guitarist and a couple of hangers-on and the rest of the band travelled by train. Unfortunately being not an untypical bass player and drummer pairing, they got lost en-route so we were left sitting in the pub drinking ale while we waited for them to arrive. Normally at pub gigs there isn't much time to grab a drink before going on stage so I was unaware that our lead singer had downed several pints of Carlsberg Special Brew by the time the hapless pair had managed to find the venue. She was so pissed (physically, literally, figuratively and metaphorically) by the time she took to the stage that whatever she was singing was completely incomprehensible and was leaning so heavily on the mic'stand to save herself from toppling over into the audience that she managed to bend it in half. After that I banned them from drinking before going on stage.

In my capacity as elected chauffeur, when driving the some band members back from another London gig in the early hours of the morning I put Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory in the CD player... as the hypnotist counted backwards to put Nicolas into a hypnotic trance I pretended to fall asleep at the wheel. I don't understand why I was the only one in the car who found that funny, some people just don't have a sense of humour I guess. But perhaps nearly killing all of us a few weeks earlier when my car aqua-planned when hitting a flood on the M25 may have had something to do with it.

On another occasion we were booked to play for a shop opening in a Southampton shopping mall. Having obtained the necessary permission from the local council we were informed that we'd have to stop if they received three complaints about noise levels. The order to stop came halfway through the first song, it transpired that two of the complaints had been delivered before the band had played a single note and were sent by the owner of a rival shop.

However most of the really embarrassing moments came from bands we were supporting or who were supporting us.

Such as the headline act we were booked to support going on stage in a drunken stupor and deciding that for that night only instead of being a sludge metal band called Lab Rat they'd be a southern rawk band called LA Brat. Attempts by the singer to fake an american drawl while the rest of the band murdered bog-standard 12-bar blues were too much for the audience who, rather than waste energy in booing, simply left. Once our gear was packed away, so did we.

Noticing that several drunk members of Children of Bodom were leching after my then 14 year old daughter at a gig where we were booked to support Edenbridge I quickly stepped between them and whisked her away to meet Sabine Edelsbacher.

When supporting Christian Death at the Underworld a member of one of the other support bands rounded on us at the end of the gig and accused us of stealing one of their guitar head units. The more we professed our innocence the more irate he became until he was practically screaming that he'd call the police if we didn't give it back. Then one of his band mates sneaked up behind him, placed the aforementioned amp at his feet and tapped him on the shoulder, needless to say he fell over it as he turned around...

When supporting Greek metallers Rotting Christ at the same venue our lead singer decided to wear a slinky long black dress that she'd purchased specially that day only to discover that under stage lighting it was completely see through. She quickly ran to the ladies toilets with my wife in tow so they could hastily cover her, ah-hem, 'embarrassment' with gaffa tape. 

At a gig in Southampton we were supporting one band who turned out to be just a duo playing to a rhythm backing track stored on a DAW that suddenly developed a bad case of stage fright early on in their set. We just helplessly looked on as the guitarist fumbled with leads and berated the technology with a foul-tempered barrage. In the end he decided that he was unable to continue so we played two sets that night.

At another gig we'd somewhat reluctantly agreed to take part in a "battle of the bands" just for the expediency of securing what was for us a pretty high-profile gig. One of the other bands playing were miming to a backing track and that too inevitably and predictably packed up midway through their set leaving them standing on silent stage like lemons, but that wasn't the embarrassing bit this time, it was just tear-inducing-ly funny. At the 'cheer for each band' voting at the end of the evening it was clear that from the popular vote it was a tight two-horse race between ourselves and a terrific band called Ordinary Psycho (who were probably the closest anyone ever got to being Prog Gothic), but for reasons known only to the organisers neither of us were crowned the winners, but even that isn't the uncomfortable bit. Nor was it when most of the audience proceeded to boo as the winners were presented with their prize, even though I kinda felt sorry for them because despite the prize money, it was only supposed to be "a bit of fun" to engage the audience with four bands they'd probably never heard of before. Even listening to the winners boasting backstage that they had been told they were going to win before the gig had started was neither uncomfortable nor particularly surprising given how close-knit the Goth community can be. What made that gig so uncomfortable for us was we found it practically impossible to get gigs in the Goth scene after that. Fortuitously, as a direct consequence we became less gothic and more metal just as female-fronted metal became the "in thing".

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:44
Originally posted by Skip Skip wrote:

I think for me the problem is most shows are just so crowded. You always struggle to see band in question unless you are right at the front. But hey still not complaining. Recently Saw "The Skints" In a small venue in Southampton and it was just fantastic about 200 people in total. Larger shows defiantly get crowded.
It was about the same number of folks for an Ultravox show I went to at San Diego State Univ. back in the '80s. It was uncomfortable that so few people showed to watch this band at, I feel, the height of its productivity.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:52
I saw Atomic Rooster in 82 or 83 at Newcastle City Hall with about 12 people in the audience, the rest of the crowd were there for the headliner, Spider, and stayed in the bar for AR's set. Quite embarrassing for such a great band. They ignored the crowd size and performed a great set.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: February 13 2017 at 07:07
Saw Robert Fripp at UC San Diego in 1983 (when I was an undergrad); just him doing 2+ hours of Frippertronics (really amazing stuff at the time, I thought). He would play for several minutes at a clip and then wax poetically as only he can in between musical offerings. About 1 hour in, one of his narrative interludes was about an emotional break-up he recently had with a girlfriend; it really broke him up and he began to cry. I was only in my early 20's then (less mature and understanding than I am now), but it was a bit uncomfortable for me to see this "guitar god" show an entirely human side of himself to everyone. He was able to regain his composure and continue the awesome show for more than an hour more...

Date Posted: February 13 2017 at 07:22
I got kicked in the head with a size 12 boot by some stage-diving t**t at a Megadeth gig circa 1987. That was fairly uncomfortable. Also sent my glasses flying. I was lucky that they were caught and returned to me by an astute mosher, otherwise they would have been stamped to bits.

Date Posted: February 13 2017 at 08:26
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Saw Robert Fripp at UC San Diego in 1983 (when I was an undergrad); just him doing 2+ hours of Frippertronics (really amazing stuff at the time, I thought). He would play for several minutes at a clip and then wax poetically as only he can in between musical offerings. About 1 hour in, one of his narrative interludes was about an emotional break-up he recently had with a girlfriend; it really broke him up and he began to cry. I was only in my early 20's then (less mature and understanding than I am now), but it was a bit uncomfortable for me to see this "guitar god" show an entirely human side of himself to everyone. He was able to regain his composure and continue the awesome show for more than an hour more...
Don't know how I missed or never heard of that event, being in S.D. at the time. I did attend His Tower Records appearance in '79 on El Cajon Blvd. at College Blvd. After demonstrating His Frippertronics, He did autographs, and a guy held up his infant daughter and told Him that her name was Crimson. He readily was humbled and seemed to blush as both He and father and child got a raucous round of applause by all in attendance.

-------------

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 05:44
I was at a Jethro Tull concert that was sold out and the scalpers were sold out so the angry mob took a park bench and used it as a battering ram to break the glass at street level there must have been over 200 people who managed to get in before the cops got the situation under control.  Would expect this at an Exploited concert. 

Posted By: Alucard
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 08:35
Lou Reed, beginning of the 80's in Düsseldorf/ Germany. The place was crammed and the moment the concert started the first ten rows stood up on their chairs and you couldn't see anymore behind these ten rows. The people started yelling at the people to sit down, while the band was coming on stage and Lou was a bit disconcerted by the yelling, not knowing exactly what was going on. So the band started to play and the first ten rows kept standing up ignoring the yelling. So some people started throwing beercans at the first ten rowers (yes those were the glorious days where you could smoke inside the concert halls and take assorted forms of beverage with you and use them to express your miscontent) So one of the beercans went way over the first ten rows and hit Lou Reed. He stopped singing, insulted the audience and left the stage with the band after three songs. This must have led to a near heart attack of the promoter while the audience started to yell even louder now. After ten minutes Lou came back and did about 40 minutes more while staring in an highly unfriendly manner towards the audience.

Another one, even so it’s actually a fascinating memory now. Summer of 1978 Open air festival at the Lorelei /Germany The headliner should have been Jefferson Wheelchair. It’s actually one of the nicest locations I know. It’s high up on a cliff on top of the Rhine valley with a beautiful view. It’s build like an antique Greek amphitheater with the stage on the bottom and steep stone rows. When we arrived in the beginning of the afternoon it was raining and there were a lot of GI’s in the audience and the general atmosphere was good.
The first acts were Brand-X and Leo Kottke who got both only mild attentions. The Atlanta Rhythm section was on the bill too but didn't play. While the stage was changed for the headliners some discussion was going on on stage. After some time the promoter came on stage and said that Grace Slick was ill and that the band couldn’t play without her. (Afterwards I learned that it was actually only Paul Kantner who refused to go on stage without Grace the others were well aware that it would be a mess to cancel the show, and they actually did the Knebworth show a week later without Grace)
So, the promoter left the stage, some music played on the sound system and then after a couple of minutes everybody realized that the concert was over. So most people started yelling and whistling, but shortly after there was a rain of beer cans, wine bottles coming down on the poor roadies trying to get the equipment off the stage. Seen that the theatre is quite steep you could easily throw from the last row something on stage. Next thing some people climb the stage and start throwing amps and assorted material down the pit and then somebody lit fire and parts of the stage started to burn. A couple of minutes later the fire brigade arrived and again a rain of beer cans went down on the poor fireman who retreated rapidly. It was really a strange beautiful atmosphere like a Wagner opera setting. We camped on site and the next morning the stage and the surroundings looked like a battle field with some parts still smoldering. Dawn of the gods.

And one more. I was still in highschool, second half of the 70’s and the venue in my hometown sponsored by Phillips always used the same ticket layout with different colours. So after each show we collected ticket stumps that were not too damaged and when a show came up with the same colour we always had one ticket that looked ok and in the rush they never looked exactly at the tickets. So we always tried to bring one of us in this way and once in he opened from inside one fire exit door and when it got open we had a couple of seconds to jump over a fence and rush in before the security guys came running. The only thing you had to bring a newspaper, roll it and put it onto the fence to protect your hands. So for an Eric Clapton show I forgot the newspaper the exit door got open and I lifted myself with my whole weight on the fence and one of the fence bars got into my hand down to the bone. I somehow managed to get over the fence, into the hall with a round bleeding hole in my hand. So I went to the infirmary and the nurse looked at my hand and said : How the f… did you do that? So I said : I fell into a bottle, perfect round hole and everything. She gave me a tetanos shot, made a bandage, but I got no painkiller and I sat through the whole show with a horrible pain in my hand.

-------------
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 12:36
Tips for drunk cretins attending Donington Monsters of Rock 1987:

1. If you can't be bothered to find toilet facilities it is acceptable to piss in an empty plastic beer bottle.

2. It is not however necessary to hurl said bottle at the stage just because you don't like Dio.

3. If you are 100m from the stage your bottle will not reach Ronnie James Dio and may instead hit a random audience member who has done you no harm.

4. If you still insist on doing this, please screw the top on the bottle before you throw it, so that said innocent audience member, i.e. ME, does not get soaked with piss as well as bruised.

Thank you for your consideration.

Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:09
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:33
I have to admit to being one of those bottle throwers at Reading in 82 & 83, though they were empty.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:24
^ Empty bottles is fair enough. I never minded taking one of those on the noggin.

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:28
When Murray head opened up for Judas Priest in Buffalo NY back in the late seventies. Can't remember the year. He never made it on stage. What was the promoter thinking?

Posted By: Watchmaker
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:39
I wonder if anyone here was at the legendary Gentle Giant-Black Sabbath show. That must have been one hell of an "uncomfortable moment" LOL

Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 15:11
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I have to admit to being one of those bottle throwers at Reading in 82 & 83, though they were empty.

Whoa! You saw Twelfth Night with Geoff Mann! Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 07:26

Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Don't know how I missed or never heard of that event, being in S.D. at the time. I did attend His Tower Records appearance in '79 on El Cajon Blvd. at College Blvd. After demonstrating His Frippertronics, He did autographs, and a guy held up his infant daughter and told Him that her name was Crimson. He readily was humbled and seemed to blush as both He and father and child got a raucous round of applause by all in attendance.

It was well-publicized at UCSD, and I thought it was open to the general public as well. But, maybe it was for UCSD students only (not sure). There were over 300 of us crammed into a smaller concert recital hall, either at Revelle or Muir College(?). It was nearly 35 years ago, and such details of the night escape my memory. Fripp's prowess on his Les Paul and the Frippertronics machine, however, do not...

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 08:28

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Whoa! You saw Twelfth Night with Geoff Mann! Thumbs Up

I'll take your word for it, I was very much a metalhead back in those days, I was primarily there for Black Sabbath & Thin Lizzy though I also really enjoyed Magnum, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Anvil, The Enid & Ten Years After. I really don't remember anything about Twelfth Night, Pallas or Pendragon and was distinctly unimpressed with Marillion. Steel Pulse got bottled off stage half way through their second track, "Hey Man, if you don't stop throwing bottles we're leaving" cue deluge.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 13:24
Rush's R40 tour - no fault of the band, though. I've been seeing Rush since Snakes and Arrows, and their concerts have always been a standing affair, regardless of where the seats are.

So I go to R40 with some friends, and we're pumped. They start the concert, and I think most of the people stood up to watch, cheer and have fun. If you're familiar with that tour, they started off with the latest album and worked their way backward until the first album. Understandably, that means that the more familiar material wasn't until later on; so I wasn't too surprised that people were sitting down, maybe getting a bit bored.

My friends and I, however, are big Rush fans, so we were excited to hear new material, so we stayed standing and had fun. Oldy McFart sitting a few rows behind us wasn't too pleased that his calm night of classical music was being interrupted by these standing young fellows who thought that Rush was a rock band or something. After a few ignored requests of "sit down", Oldy decided it was appropriate to throw a beer at us. I think we eventually sat down, defeated at the end of the first set, but my crew decided that we would not be swayed for the second set, and stood until the end of the show. And we had a great time too.

Like, I totally understand that everyone enjoys music in different ways; for me personally, it has to be just the right music and I have to go with the right people for me to be comfortable enough to get into the music. Sometimes I just want to sit and listen too. But I don't think I should tell people to stop having a lot of enjoyment so I can have a little enjoyment.

Now, this being a Prog forum, I'm sure there are disagreements about whether people should be standing, cheering, etc. at prog concerts, or if they should be sitting and listening, maybe depending on the band, the venue, where you're sitting, etc. In my mind, seeing Rush is a standing experience - they're loud, they've got lots of energy, there's a huge audience, they've got a lot of hits to sing along to, and no disrespect intended, but their music isn't as subtle as some other bands. There's a big audience participation aspect to it; you've just got to shout "HEY!" in 2112 Overture with the appropriate fist pump, and raise your hands to clap along to the chorus of The Spirit of Radio.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 13:53
When I saw the R40 tour, it was in a semi-outdoor venue.

My seat was not under the roof.

About a half hour into the show, there was a massive downpour with thunder and lightning.

It actually wasn't that uncomfortable.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 14:01
That was just part of the show. Rush pulled out all the stops to make Jacob's Ladder as realistic as possible.

Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 14:07
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 14:43
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

My friends and I, however, are big Rush fans, so we were excited to hear new material, so we stayed standing and had fun. Oldy McFart sitting a few rows behind us wasn't too pleased that his calm night of classical music was being interrupted by these standing young fellows who thought that Rush was a rock band or something. After a few ignored requests of "sit down", Oldy decided it was appropriate to throw a beer at us. I think we eventually sat down, defeated at the end of the first set, but my crew decided that we would not be swayed for the second set, and stood until the end of the show. And we had a great time too.

It's good that you stood for the second half. That guy took a real risk throwing a beer at younger concert-goers, though. I would've flung it right back at him. Usually Rush fans are more considerate. Stern Smile

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 14:37
I was at King Crimson's "Larks Tongues in Aspic" show at the Kinetic Playground, Chicago IL on 20 April, 1973.

The opening act (Peter Frampton) was unremarkable, but when KC began to play, the crowd (who seemed very drunk and high on drugs) starting yelling back in forth.  The group closest to the stage wouldn't sit down (the place was a dump, no chairs) and the group in the back was yelling "SIT DOWN" and throwing empty liquor bottles at those in front. 

The tension was high, and Fripp was glaring out at the crowd from his stool, clearly upset that the crowd was not intently listening to the music.  I wrote to Bob years later to recount this and compare it to the Chicago show in 2014, which was reverential and quiet in comparison.  His brief reply was "Bless you, Chuck!"

Despite all of this, it was a successful show!        

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 18:48
^Ah, the joys of the festival seating back in the day.  Surprised I was not crushed to death in some of the concerts then, actually remember one show (don't remember who, when, or where...typical then) that the whole floor (no seats) of people was shoulder to shoulder just swaying and pushing forward, thought I was going to pass out it was so hot.  You could not move, you just had to stand your ground if you could....damn, having a flashback now Wacko

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 19:04
I wasn't going to post this because it's rather personal and it's not something I'm proud of but here it goes. 

I went to see Jethro Tull back around 2008 or so. The opening act was Peter Frampton. During Frampton's set the women behind me were talking and would just not shut up. I didn't ask them to be quiet because based on past experiences that never works. I should have at least tried though. Anyway, at some point I told the security woman and she said she came over and told them to be quiet. This made things worse in a way. The younger woman who was apparently the daughter of the woman sitting next to her said something like "oh, can I clap?" I just put my finger up to my mouth as in "shhhh" and she then gave me the middle finger. I went up to her and said "you wish." Apparently her mom thought I said "you bitch" and grabbed me by the back collar of my t shirt. A slap boxing match ensued involving me and about three or four different women. After about maybe 45 seconds the same female security guard came over because she thought I threw a punch(I did not though I was just blocking their slaps). I know better than to do something like that in public. I wound up being detained. Later on they came over to where the security guy was "holding" me and continued to insult me and call me a coward for not telling them to be quiet(as if that would work). The mother insisted I called her daughter a "bitch" which I did not.  What eventually happened was they went back to their seats(I assume)but I was actually "demoted" to a better section. I was in the top level but they put me in the bottom level on the ground. Once down there some big boobed blonde woman was standing for the rest of Frampton's set and so I didn't really enjoy that performance much. After this ordeal I didn't really enjoy JT that much either. After the show I went to my car and just sort of hung around. I struck up a conversation with one of the women who was parked near me that I saw earlier. I wound up hugging her(just hugging her)for about two to three minutes. 

That was probably the weirdest experience I've had at a concert and that's saying something. I've also been hit in the head by a woman's purse and "stabbed" by a feather from a guy's hat. I guess he was trying to be Robin Hood. 

Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 19:12
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^Ah, the joys of the festival seating back in the day.  Surprised I was not crushed to death in some of the concerts then, actually remember one show (don't remember who, when, or where...typical then) that the whole floor (no seats) of people was shoulder to shoulder just swaying and pushing forward, thought I was going to pass out it was so hot.  You could not move, you just had to stand your ground if you could....damn, having a flashback now Wacko

My first ever concert was like that, Rainbow in 81 at Leeds Queens Hall, I was crushed and must have had my feet literally off the floor a few times as we surged and ebbed and flowed. Fortunately I was 17 and fairly large so I loved every second.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 23:29
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I wasn't going to post this because it's rather personal and it's not something I'm proud of but here it goes. 

Damn, bunky, that was a fine yarn!!  Clap

I notice that Peter Frampton came up twice in this thread already....do I detect a pattern? 

Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 08:39
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Yeah, I had an unleashed mob experience myself at 'Tull's 'Passion Play concert in San Diego. It too was a "festival seating" scenario. My brother and I got there at like 9 the morning before the night of the show and somehow snaked our way into the line about 40 feet from the door. We were standing there hours later when the loud sounds of chains being unlocked and unraveled was heard, and the crowd just went nuts. Once inside, the ensuing rush towards the entrance immediately separated my brother and I, and I was engulfed in a swirling, sweaty mass of humanity. I felt lucky to be able to dart sideways out of this heaving column of 'Tull fanatics all trying to get to the front row, center stage. After a few moments of catching my breath and calm, I realized that my brother was somewhere inside the arena, so I braced myself and launched back into the melee. Within moments, I saw a see of concert goers already occupying the arena's floor. Upon inspection, I concluded that where I was (the side of stage left, one section up) wasn't a bad location and was relatively close to the stage, so I sat down, wondering where my brother was and where I'd find him after the show. No sooner had I grown accustomed to my predicament when I looked down and saw my brother waving his arms above his head. How he spotted me among the throng was miraculous. Bless his heart as he had snagged a couple seats in the fourth row of the floor, stage left. All in all, a more than memorable time for my first concert ever.

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 09:00
4th row for A Passion Play...wow! Well done, and very much worth braving the gulf of swirling and sweaty — and no doubt hairy — masses!

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 09:00
It's been a pleasure reading this thread, so thank you very much for sharing those old war stories people

Uncomfortable concert moments? I've got quite a few but none that scream for attention on a prog forum.
I remember some mad moments kindly delivered by Iggy Pop, Pete Steele, Damon Albarn, Lemmy, Axl Rose (do yourself a favour and explode why don't ya), Bloodhound Gang and Metallica (3-4 incidents).
As for prog? Hhhmmmm....I once attended a Burnin Red Ivanhoe gig completely off my tits only to realise that the crowd was situated at these candlelit tables where everyone could see everyone. First 15 minutes were excrusiatingly tense until I decided to become THAT guy...and then started dancing at the side of the stage. The rest of the crowd felt this was clever move and then proceeded to serve me (free) beers for the duration of the show.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 10:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It's been a pleasure reading this thread, so thank you very much for sharing those old war stories people

Uncomfortable concert moments? I've got quite a few but none that scream for attention on a prog forum.
I remember some mad moments kindly delivered by Iggy Pop, Pete Steele, Damon Albarn, Lemmy, Axl Rose (do yourself a favour and explode why don't ya), Bloodhound Gang and Metallica (3-4 incidents).
As for prog? Hhhmmmm....I once attended a Burnin Red Ivanhoe gig completely off my tits only to realise that the crowd was situated at these candlelit tables where everyone could see everyone. First 15 minutes were excrusiatingly tense until I decided to become THAT guy...and then started dancing at the side of the stage. The rest of the crowd felt this was clever move and then proceeded to serve me (free) beers for the duration of the show.

Either you are way older than I thought or Burnin' Red Ivanhoe carried on way longer than I realised

Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 10:50
A combo dear sir. Burnin Red Ivanhoe still plays the odd gig AND I'm 75
Nahh I'm 34, love long beaches, raw potatoes, women with lava and sporting clothes with pockets.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 11:03
^ I can picture you now, chasing some hula-skirted honey down a Hawaiian beach, the pockets of your surf shorts stuffed with potatoes, as a volcano erupts in the background. No wonder she's running! Later the two of you will bake the potatoes in volcanic ash.

Funnily enough I was listening to some BRI this morning. Things seem to take a turn downhill in 1974 - August Suicidal is like a BOC pastiche - but the earlier stuff is just primo!

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 20:22
I was at this show in the front row of the mezzanine.  Ray Davies was seriously drunk.
This is not my blog (although I know the guy who wrote it) and my recollections differ slightly.  His more detailed reminiscence is at the link.
"March 30, 1971 -- The Kinks play at Lincoln Center's prestigious Philharmonic Hall (later renamed Avery Fisher Hall). In contrast to the elegance of the hall, Ray Davies' spontaneous, campy, outrageous, sometimes disoriented performance elicits a huge crowd response. When he falls into a bank of amplifiers (brother Dave kindly steps aside when he sees Ray toppling), members of the audience leap on stage to finish the song "Apeman" for Ray. By all accounts it is a night to remember. "
http://raydavies.fr.yuku.com/topic/9525/March-30-1971-Kinks-play-Lincoln-Centers-prestigious-Phi#.WLY8PYWcHIU

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 09:11
When I thought I should like Porcupine Tree because of all the hype and went to see them live ....

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 15 2017 at 17:08
Three things come to mind: 1. Concerts at Chastain Park - People from the neighborhood got free tables up front and didn't come for the music but instead yanked so loudly amongst themselves that the rest of us couldn't hear the music. 2. Kansas came to the Midtown Music Festival and the Cult was on a stage too close and drowned them out. 3. Porcupine Tree played a venue and it was made standing room only despite there being a balcony area with seating. Three jerks were standing behind me loudly trashing the band.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: March 15 2017 at 19:39
I actually don't enjoy concerts as much as I used to. Too many people recording or taking pictures with their iphones, too much talking and too many drunk people. You would think the prog crowd would be more sophisticated but in my experience that is usually not the case. 

Posted By: Mystic Mamba
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 19:37
Well, most concerts I've been to have been relatively comfortable. However, the first time I saw Dream Theater, John Petrucci had forgotten to turn his guitar on, so when it was time for the riff to come in on Bridges in the Sky (the opener), there were three seconds of awkward silence. Also, when I saw ARW this past fall, I was sitting next to this obnoxious dude taking up way too much space (we were sitting), and I had to awkwardly lean to the left throughout most of the show. Of course, all these things just add to the fun memories of concert-going!

Posted By: petewhit
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 21:37
My first Dead show in 91.  There was a mother and child sitting next to me while I was not in my right mind.  I looked across the arena and everyone was rapidly sitting up and down.  Needless to say they left pretty quick.    

Date Posted: June 12 2017 at 09:11
Saw this little Gentle Giant account on Wikipedia recently: "At a show at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, we went on stage and the Sabbath fans were shouting 'get off, we want Sabbath' and we were just getting set to play 'Funny Ways'. We pulled out the cellos and violins, and the crowd starting heckling immediately, but we were gradually starting to get past it, when someone threw a cherry bomb on stage. (Phil Shulman) made sure we all stopped playing and said we needed to get off the stage. As we were leaving the stage, Phil grabbed the mic and said to the crowd 'you guys are a bunch of f$cking c%nts!', and the boo that went up after that was enormous! To this day I'll never forget it! We were sort of vindicated later on, as we thought we were never going to play Los Angeles again after the cherry bomb incident, but later on the Octopus tour we were able to sell out consistently there, so something clicked with the fans." - Derek Shulman

“”

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2017 at 21:24

Saw this little Gentle Giant account on Wikipedia recently: "At a show at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, we went on stage and the Sabbath fans were shouting 'get off, we want Sabbath' and we were just getting set to play 'Funny Ways'. We pulled out the cellos and violins, and the crowd starting heckling immediately, but we were gradually starting to get past it, when someone threw a cherry bomb on stage. (Phil Shulman) made sure we all stopped playing and said we needed to get off the stage. As we were leaving the stage, Phil grabbed the mic and said to the crowd 'you guys are a bunch of f$cking c%nts!', and the boo that went up after that was enormous! To this day I'll never forget it! We were sort of vindicated later on, as we thought we were never going to play Los Angeles again after the cherry bomb incident, but later on the Octopus tour we were able to sell out consistently there, so something clicked with the fans." - Derek Shulman

“”

That sucks. But indeed who thought of having Gentle Giant open for Sabbath, something like this was bound to happen. Perhaps some other band with some heavier songs that could have been chosen to gather a bit more interest from the audience.

Date Posted: June 13 2017 at 01:34
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

But indeed who thought of having Gentle Giant open for Sabbath, something like this was bound to happen.

At a guess, Frank Zappa. Two of his favourite British bands on one bill in LA, pretty sweet. Plus, the total mismatch of styles and fans would probably have appealed to his sense of humour.

Date Posted: June 13 2017 at 01:46
The time I went to see Slayer at the Roskilde Festival and almost lost my head to a black metal type of dude with black and white colours adorning his face but moreover wielding a huge dog collar with 30 centimeter spikes.
Uncomfortable yes.
Did I feel alive? That too.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: June 13 2017 at 02:12
My mate getting booted in the plums and having his leg scraped to hell from a well-heeled boot of Jon Spencer's missus Cristina Martinez when she leapt into the crowd in a inebriated berserker rage during a BOss Hogg concert and started wildly swinging at anyone within reach was fun...more fun than when she got back on stage, invited her female buddy up there and they proceeded to essentially sing drunken karaoke for the rest of the shambling gig, though!

Still, very memorable gig!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk