Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110004
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 11:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Ten Best Sci Fi Movies!
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: The Ten Best Sci Fi Movies!
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:15
I didn't realize how many sci fi DVDs I own until my grand daughter pointed them out. In no particular order, these are my favs: 1) The Day The Earth Stood Still 2) War Of The Worlds (1951), 3) Planet Of The Apes 4) Soylant Green 5) Jaws (a horror movie perhaps) 6) Alien 7) Predator 8) Terminator 9) Terminator 2 10) The Thing. 

What are yours?

Replies:
Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:39
The WASP Woman - 1959 version although haven't seen the 1995 version, Iron Sky is pretty cool too

Favourite would have to be Dr Strangelove

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:42
I definitely love Dr Strangelove too,  but I think it's a comedy film. 

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:48
If we want a Kubrick movie in such a liste, there's 2001...

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:52
Its classied as a Science Fiction Comedy and Stanley Kubricks finiest moment

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:55
Depends for me on how loosely one describes a film as being SF. Ten is hard, but these are the first to spring to mind.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Under the Skin
Brazil
A Clockwork Orange
THX 1138
The Andromeda Strain
Alphaville
Stalker
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Man Who Fell to Earth

Honorable mentions to Logan's Run and Zardoz, which I respect a hell of a lot more than most.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 16:06
In no particular order:

Alien
Twelve Monkeys
Gattaca
Terminator
Forbidden Planet
Death Race 2000
The Fly
Ghosbusters (the original, obviously)
Jurassic Park
Escape from New York

...and many, many more

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 16:08
Very difficult one, but I'll give it a try.

1) "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968) by Stanley Kubrick.

2) "Silent Running" (1972) by Douglas Trumbull.

3) "Welt am Draht" (1973; English title "World on a Wire") by Rainer Werner Fassbinder.

4) "Zardoz" (1974) by John Boorman.

5) "Twelve Monkeys" (1995) by Terry Gilliam.

6) "Village of the Damned" (1960) by Wolf Rilla.

7) "Phase IV" (1974) by Saul Bass.

8) "The Time Machine" (1960) by George Pal.

9) "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956) by Don Siegel.

10) "Alphaville" (1965) by Jean-Luc Godard.

The Fassbinder movie is very little known because it was originally a TV-movie in two parts and not available for a long time. Here the two parts with English subtitles:

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 16:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Honorable mentions to Logan's Run and Zardoz, which I respect a hell of a lot more than most.

Yeah, Zardoz is really good.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 16:09

I prefer the 1956 version.

-------------

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 16:54
I have too many to list but here are some favorites (not in order of preference)

Blade Runner
Interstellar
The Fifth Element
Slaughterhouse-Five
Alien Nation
12 Monkeys
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Spaceballs
Moon
Galaxy Quest
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy 
Predator (1 and 2)
Stargate
Mars Attacks!
Contact 

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 17:06
The Thing (from Another World) - 1951
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers - 1956
Them! - 1954
The Amazing Colossal Man - 1957
The War of the Worlds - 1953
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 1980
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan 1982
The Time Machine - 1960

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 17:10
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I prefer the 1956 version.

Usually I prefer the original (or older) versions, but I love the direction of the Kaufman version, the effects, and it has a very powerful for me ending.   Another film where I prefer the remake to the original is with The Fly (which I could have listed). I certainly would take the Tarkovsky version of Solaris, which is another that would have made a longer list, over the Hollywood version (still prefer the Lem novel to either).

Good to see other admirers of Zardoz. I think it gets a bum wrap (that looks suspiciously like a red diaper). ;)

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 17:28
Fahrenheit 451
The Andromeda Strain
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Equilibrium
Corbin- the Colossus Project
The Keep
Contact 
KPAX
2001 Space Odyssey

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 18:12
Black Hole, The
Clockwork Orange, A (SF by way of Dystopian)
Escape From New York
Interstellar
Logan's Run
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 remake)
Phase IV
Silent Running
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Thing, The (1982 remake by John Carpenter)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 01:36
1. City of Lost Children
2. Brazil
3. Being John Malkovich 
4. Twelve Monkeys
5. Delicatessen 
6. The Green Mile
7. Doppelganger  (2004 Kurosawa)
8. Star Wars (A New Hope)
9 The Martian
10 Alien Resurrection 

Honorable mention 
The Brother from another Planet 

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 02:00
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Black Hole, The
Clockwork Orange, A (SF by way of Dystopian)
Escape From New York
Interstellar
Logan's Run
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 remake)
Phase IV
Silent Running
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Thing, The (1982 remake by John Carpenter)

There are two movies named "Phase IV" that don't have anything to do with each other, one from 1974 and one from 2002. The 1974 one is about two scientists studying ants that suddenly show inexplicably intelligent behaviour, the other is about a journalism student investigating the deaths of four co-students who, as it turns out, were used for secret drug experiments in research for a cure of AIDS. Which one do you mean?

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 02:30
^ I'm guessing ants --

Forbidden Planet
Mysterious Island
Escape from New York
Fantastic Voyage
Alien
War of the Worlds, original
Jason and the Argonauts
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978 remake
Star Wars Episode 4

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 03:03
1. The Black Hole.
2. The Black Hole.
3. The Black Hole.
4. The Black Hole.
5. The Black Hole.
6. The Black Hole.
7. The Black Hole.
8. The Black Hole.
9. The Black Hole.
10. The Black Hole.

Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 17:56

There are two movies named "Phase IV" that don't have anything to do with each other, one from 1974 and one from 2002. The 1974 one is about two scientists studying ants that suddenly show inexplicably intelligent behaviour, the other is about a journalism student investigating the deaths of four co-students who, as it turns out, were used for secret drug experiments in research for a cure of AIDS. Which one do you mean?

The one by Saul Bass, of course! I had no idea another more recent movie had swiped the title. (Couldn't they have called it Phase IX?) I also love the score.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 17:58
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

1. The Black Hole.
2. The Black Hole.
3. The Black Hole.
4. The Black Hole.
5. The Black Hole.
6. The Black Hole.
7. The Black Hole.
8. The Black Hole.
9. The Black Hole.
10. The Black Hole.

It's a classic. I hope they NEVER remake it...if they do, they'll ruin it. LOL

-------------

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 21:12
In no particular order:

Aliens
Blade Runner
A Scanner Darkly
Akira
Ghost In The Shell
Star Wars (the whole damn thing)
Moon
Total Recall (not that bs remake)
Terminator 2
Dark City

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 21:34
Only three films have been mentioned in this thread that I haven't seen, and I'm going to watch one of them this weekend. I've had too much free time on my hands over much of my life.

Lots of favourites mentioned, one that I loved that has gone unspoken of is Timecrimes (Los cronocrímenes) .

And not many share my taste, but I love the 20th Century Boys trilogy.

And V for Vendetta and the Watchmen amongst comic adaptations.

Also Attack the Block for a fun one. And Transfer is another modern one I liked. I loved Never Let Me Go, even though I preferred the novel. And Wong Kar Wai's 2046, even if not that sci-fi, deserves special mention.

Posted By: sarathkum29
Date Posted: June 19 2018 at 01:29
Interstellar and Avatar are the most loved Sci-Fi movies that received a huge response from allover the world.More than Avatar its Interstellar which is a purely Sci-Fi movie which is based on time travel and exploring new world for the human beings on the earth.

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: June 19 2018 at 03:22
Two Tarkovsky movies 

Stalker
Solaris

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 19 2018 at 07:49
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Two Tarkovsky movies 

Stalker
Solaris

STALKER, specially stands out, although I'm not sure it fits as a Sci-Fi film as much as it does a sort of post-apocalyptic film.

I have no films to add to this fine list ... but I'm a great fan of FORBIDDEN PLANET and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (the original, please!!!) ... and a couple of other Ray Harryhausen films as well, though these days, watching them, the best thing in them is the music by Bernard Herrmann.

This is a tough area for me, since some of the best novels in Science Fiction have never really had a good/great adaptation done to the screen, and even the best one (BLADE RUNNER), was changed so much from the book but many things in Sci-Fi have been ignored, or simply too hard to illustrate and make the fans happy.

2001, A SPACE ODYSSEY is nice to watch, but I'm not sure it stands up to the original novel. And one of his best, CHILDHOOD'S END, will be really difficult to bring to the screen as it is a strong indictment to the religious and commercial flavor of this time. The Overlords, do NOT, have the answer for you!

CITY OF LOST CHILDREN and DELICATESSEN, are two films that defy description and in many ways stand alone in an area that defies description. The inventiveness of both is amazing to watch, and the images are great.

THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUCHAUSEN probably fits as Sci-Fi, but its comedic side has a tendency to break that, and even adding someone like Robin Williams, has a tendency to bring it down from there and turn it into a satire. Still its transitions (try the one from the theater ... the face turns left and you are somewhere else!) are so far out there and Sci-Fi, it's not funny. 12 MONKEES also fits, in many ways, although its weirdness and turning it into a love story in the end, has a tendency to break it up for me.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: June 19 2018 at 08:34
In no participator order:

Blade Runner
Alien
Aliens
Star Wars  - (A New Hope & Empire about the same)
The Andromeda Strain
The Martian
The Terminator
A Clockwork Orange
The Thing (1982)
Contact

Date Posted: June 19 2018 at 09:04
^ I also love those films. I do prefer Stalker to Solaris (love the Lem novel). I love the imagination on display with City of Lost Children and Delicatessen.

I prefer Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey to Clarke's short story The Sentinel and to his novel that came out shortly after the film. One of my favourite adaptations is Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451 (I'm not keen on the look of the TV adaptation based on the trailer).

As for Blade Runner, it is indeed so very different from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I adore Phillip K. Dick, but most of the adaptations of his works haven't worked that well for me. I really liked the film version of A Scanner Darkly. If I were to adapt one, I might do Ubik.

For a few modern "cinema fantastique" ones that I loved the look of, Under the Skin worked really well for me, but then I tend to favour so-called art house film. I also loved The Lobster, Snowpiercer and the Girl with All the Gifts. Moon was good too. I think Arrival was the last SF film I saw in the cinema, as I missed seeing Blade Runner 2049 on the big screen (I appreciated the approach of the sequel, but it didn't altogether work for me).

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: June 21 2018 at 03:11

In alphabetical order:

Alien

Back to the Future

Blade Runner

Dune (1984)

Mad Max 2

Star Trek II

Star Wars and Empire strikes Back

Terminator 1 and 2

The Last Battle (1983)

2001 A Space Odyssey

My memories of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and The Thing (1982) are rather weak but I remember enjoying those movies

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: June 21 2018 at 03:15
Clockwork Orange is above all a crime /drama film

Date Posted: June 21 2018 at 04:06

As for Blade Runner, it is indeed so very different from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I adore Phillip K. Dick, but most of the adaptations of his works haven't worked that well for me. I really liked the film version of A Scanner Darkly. If I were to adapt one, I might do Ubik.

"Ubik" is my second favorite of Dick, after "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch". Would not be easy to make either into a movie though.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2018 at 10:57

"Ubik" is my second favorite of Dick, after "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch". Would not be easy to make either into a movie though.

"The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" is my favourite too. Another favourite of mine is Dr. Bloodmoney. Filming any of those would present their challenges. Ubik is fairly simple story, but also non-linear, and I wouldn't want it as a CGI or overly FX driven or ridden spectacle. I think it would be doable as a relatively low-budget, experimental art house type film. Been ages since I read it, but at the time I thought it would be pretty workable.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: June 21 2018 at 11:36
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

1. The Black Hole.
2. The Black Hole.
3. The Black Hole.
4. The Black Hole.
5. The Black Hole.
6. The Black Hole.
7. The Black Hole.
8. The Black Hole.
9. The Black Hole.
10. The Black Hole.

BRING BACK YOUR CLASSIC AVATAR!

Image result for maximilian robot

-------------

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: June 21 2018 at 17:35
1.Terminator movies
2. Star Trek movies with original cast specially IV
3. The Martian
4. Blade Runner
5. The Thing
6.Solaris

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: June 22 2018 at 04:23
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

1.Terminator movies
3. The Martian
4. Blade Runner
5. The Thing
6.Solaris

the 1982 version by John Carpenter or the 2011 version by Matthijs van Heijningen of "The Thing"? or the original movie from 1951 titled "The Thing from Another World" by Christian Nyby, of which both the other movies are remakes of?

all 3 movies are based on a 1938 sf-novella by Don A. Stuart (a pseudonym of John W. Campbell) titled "Who Goes There?"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: *frinspar*
Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 11:02
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

1.Terminator movies
3. The Martian
4. Blade Runner
5. The Thing
6.Solaris

the 1982 version by John Carpenter or the 2011 version by Matthijs van Heijningen of "The Thing"? or the original movie from 1951 titled "The Thing from Another World" by Christian Nyby, of which both the other movies are remakes of?

all 3 movies are based on a 1938 sf-novella by Don A. Stuart (a pseudonym of John W. Campbell) titled "Who Goes There?"

The 2011 movie was a prequel to the 1982 remake, although it played out pretty much the same way. It ends where the Carpenter movie begins.

Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 11:05
The 1951 version is funnier to watch.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 17:26
^ The 1951 version featured none other than Marshall Matt Dillion (James Arness) of Gun Smoke fame as the Thing.

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 04:14
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

1.Terminator movies
3. The Martian
4. Blade Runner
5. The Thing
6.Solaris

The 2011 movie was a prequel to the 1982 remake, although it played out pretty much the same way. It ends where the Carpenter movie begins.

well, I don't watch modern horror movies, basically because there are no modern horror movies (with some rare exceptions). the modern so-called "horror" movies are terror movies, not horror movies, the difference being that horror is what slowly creeps up your back and terror is what jumps into your face.

the decline of horror movies did in my opinion start in the late 70s / early 80s. in the 60s and 70s there were a lot of brilliant horror movies, like the Roman Polanski trilogy "Repulsion" (1965), "Rosemary's Baby" (1968) and "The Tenant" (1974), Harry Kümel's "Le Rouge aux Lèvres" (1971; English title "Daughters of Darkness") and "Malpertuis" (1971), Robert Fuest's "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" (1971) or Wolf Rilla's "Village of the Damned" (1960, much better than the 1995 remake by John Carpenter), to name but a few

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 07:49

...In the 60s and 70s there were a lot of brilliant horror movies, like the Roman Polanski trilogy "Repulsion" (1965), "Rosemary's Baby" (1968) and "The Tenant" (1974) ...

That RP gets thought as a horror director, is strange for me. He is, for lack of a better set of words, an "observer", though many times, his camera takes on the very personna he is trying to show ... TESS is an excellent example of that and watch some of the scenes ... the camera becomes first person, and in at least one case, it is very scary and uncomfortable.

The other 3 films, for me, had a lot more of RP's cleverness with the camera in his hands ... witness, the great ballroom shot in "THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS", and then the most famous camera shot of his, being in "ROSEMARY'S BABY" where the camera is situated in the dark outside and the shot is looking through the door into a bed on the left, and we can only see the last foot or two of the bed ... and EVERYONE in the theater, turned their heads to try and see what was on the other side of the door!

Such is the power of film, that even our reactions are ... yeah ... you got it! Totally silly.

BTW, not a sci-fi film but a must see film ... "VISIONS OF LIGHT" is about cinematographers, and in hearing many of them talk, you find out some of the crazy beauty that so many films became ... it's almost total sci-fi for me, because even as a director, so much of that stuff is never really thought of ... most directors think about a linear story and dialogue kind of thing, so seeing a visual something else ... that a director took up, changes the whole thing around. And this always came away best in film with great music, for which Bernard Herrman, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Vangelis, Maurice Jarre, Nino Rota ... are fondly remembered, even though for many of us, we can't even name many of these films. 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 10:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

...In the 60s and 70s there were a lot of brilliant horror movies, like the Roman Polanski trilogy "Repulsion" (1965), "Rosemary's Baby" (1968) and "The Tenant" (1974) ...

That RP gets thought as a horror director, is strange for me. He is, for lack of a better set of words, an "observer", though many times, his camera takes on the very personna he is trying to show ... TESS is an excellent example of that and watch some of the scenes ... the camera becomes first person, and in at least one case, it is very scary and uncomfortable.

The other 3 films, for me, had a lot more of RP's cleverness with the camera in his hands ... witness, the great ballroom shot in "THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS", and then the most famous camera shot of his, being in "ROSEMARY'S BABY" where the camera is situated in the dark outside and the shot is looking through the door into a bed on the left, and we can only see the last foot or two of the bed ... and EVERYONE in the theater, turned their heads to try and see what was on the other side of the door!

Such is the power of film, that even our reactions are ... yeah ... you got it! Totally silly.

BTW, not a sci-fi film but a must see film ... "VISIONS OF LIGHT" is about cinematographers, and in hearing many of them talk, you find out some of the crazy beauty that so many films became ... it's almost total sci-fi for me, because even as a director, so much of that stuff is never really thought of ... most directors think about a linear story and dialogue kind of thing, so seeing a visual something else ... that a director took up, changes the whole thing around. And this always came away best in film with great music, for which Bernard Herrman, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Vangelis, Maurice Jarre, Nino Rota ... are fondly remembered, even though for many of us, we can't even name many of these films. 

Polanski is not a horror director, but the 3 movies I named are horror movies. he even made a 4th horror movie, the horror comedy "The Fearless Vampire Killers", in which he also took a leading acting part.

Polanski does occasionally appear in his own movies; my favorite cameo appearance of him is in "Chinatown" where he slits the nose of private eye Jake Gittes (played by Jack Nicholson) with a knife and threatens to cut it off completely and feed it to his goldfish next time

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 10:38

well, I don't watch modern horror movies, basically because there are no modern horror movies (with some rare exceptions). the modern so-called "horror" movies are terror movies, not horror movies, the difference being that horror is what slowly creeps up your back and terror is what jumps into your face.

I'm not sure to really agree with you on this distinction between "horror movies" and "terror movies", but it's an interesting idea to discuss.
Anyway, I guess that I don't follow you on this idea just because, in France, we used to talk about "horreur" ("horror") and "épouvante" ("scare"). Furthermore, I suppose that the subject of categorization would become even tiresome to discuss if we add labels such as "gore" or "slashers" (movies that are often labeled as "horror movies" in France).

Posted By: zachfive
Date Posted: July 11 2018 at 17:29
eXistenZ is a great Cronenberg sci-fi. Don't think it was mentioned previously.

Favorite sci-fi of all time for me would be The Fifth Element. It seems to be a very polarizing movie, you either love it or hate it. I ,for one, find its zany style juxtaposed with the seriousness of the plot provides a great balance that keeps the movie refreshing and gives it good re-watch-ability.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 11 2018 at 19:12
In no particular order:

Metropolis (1927)
Them (1954)
The Thing (1982)
Blade Runner (1982)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Alien (1979)
Altered States (1980)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Brazil (1985)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

A special award for Shaun of the Dead (2004) as the funniest sci-fi movie of all time. I couldn't watch another zombie movie afterward without saying, "You've got red on you." And also to Wall-E (2008) which was far more thought-provoking and humane than all the Star Wars and Star Trek movies lined end to end.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 08:01
^ Nice list!

Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 08:55
I basically agree it is a nice list, but "Blade Runner" would most definitely not be on my list; I consider the movie to be way overrated

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 18:22

I basically agree it is a nice list, but "Blade Runner" would most definitely not be on my list; I consider the movie to be way overrated
Perhaps that is why it's on my list and not yours Wink -- because I don't think it's overrated; on the contrary, the visuals are sublime, the soundtrack by Vangelis is perfect, the future as offered by Ridley Scott is definitely not shiny and bright, and Rutger Hauer's death soliloquy is great (not to mention Rutger going to meet his maker, Tyrell).

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 18:34
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Perhaps that is why it's on my list and not yours Wink -- because I don't think it's overrated; on the contrary, the visuals are sublime, the soundtrack by Vangelis is perfect, the future as offered by Ridley Scott is definitely not shiny and bright, and Rutger Hauer's death soliloquy is great (not to mention Rutger going to meet his maker, Tyrell).

I read the book on which the movie is based. Ridley Scott totally destroyed it

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 18:50

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I read the book on which the movie is based. Ridley Scott totally destroyed it

The book is quite different from the movie, true. But the movie stands quite well on it's own. As do a number of movies adapted from books that completely lack canonicity but still are great movies. Gone With the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia and Lord of the Rings all come to mind.

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 04:03
there are so many SF-movies that are way better than "Blade Runner". I am much surprised "Silent Running" is not on everybody's list

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 07:57
I wouldn't expect that everyone who has made lists has seen it, and even if they have, different things appeal to different people as we have different life experiences and general personalities. One would have to understand someone's psychology and background to accurately predict what resonates with (speaks to) them. Our heredity and environment influence our tastes, and our tastes can change, and different movies might come to mind at different times depending upon how we're making associations....

Silent Running I like if I made a long list it would be there so would Blade Runner so would Run Lola Run if this were a general films list Logan's Run just missed my top ten despite its flaws I could go on ha it's a run-on sentence.

Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 08:03

I guess Blade Runner is one of those films you either love or hate. I love it, my wife stand stand it. 
 However, I never read the book so I have nothing to compare it to. 

Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 08:25
It's only loosely based on Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and I'm fine with the loose adaptation for the film (side-note, the title for the film was inspired by the Alan E. Nourse novel The Bladerunner). It's not one of my particular favourite Dick works. I used to love Blade Runner -- saw it many times in the 80s -- but it doesn't work so well for me. Maybe seeing the different versions and reading "Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner" actually spoiled it a bit for me too (lost the magic). Plus, really delving into world cinema and art house films in the 90s shifted my tastes -- Blade Runner did not seem so artistic to me anymore. My wife didn't much like Blade Runner, though she could stand it. For my tastes, it could be a better film (feels a little sloppy to me in the various edits), but it still has amazing to me scenes that are burnt into my brain (like the Voight-Kampff machine test segment with Rachael).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk