Print Page | Close Window

RIP - Jaki Liebezeit passed away today...:-(

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110036
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 14:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: RIP - Jaki Liebezeit passed away today...:-(
Posted By: kolvorok
Subject: RIP - Jaki Liebezeit passed away today...:-(
Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 16:51
https://www.facebook.com/officialCan/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 18:03
Just heard about this.Cry

RIP. There was only one Jaki.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 19:06
Very sad, those early albums are superb.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 21:01
f**k!

Well...can marathon will commence tomorrow. RIP Jaki...

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 21:03
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

f**k!

Well...can marathon will commence tomorrow. RIP Jaki...

Same here

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 01:02
What a tragic loss. Jaki is one of my favorite drummers of all time. His playing was incredibly versatile. Rest in peace, you will be missed. Cry
Listening to Future Days at the moment - such a fine work, Jaki's drumming is sublime here.

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 01:52
Saddest news - R.I.P. Jaki.
Your incredible drumming will live on forever.......

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 07:12
Cry
Another sad year this is ... RIP Jaki.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 12:42
2017 continues where 2016 ended, another one of the truly great have left us.

His legacy, drumming seminal to the creation of krautrock, and that influenced countless non-krautrock artists as well, will live on.

RIP Jaki. Cry

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 12:53
RIP Jaki Liebezeit . I was listening to Can yesterday after reading about it in the RIP thread. Sad loss.

Posted By: Einwahn
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 13:47
I have a friend who still reveres the drumstick he caught when Jaki hurled it into the audience after a 70's concert. His music and memory will live forever. 

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 14:21
I'm going to have to buy some more Can. RIP Jaki. 

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:50
I must confess, I am not a big Can fan, but I loved his work in You Can Help Me by Jail, from 1976. RIP.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 17:06
So unique.  So prolific.  There has never ever been a drummer like Jaki Liebezeit.  His work with CAN and Jah Wobble will be playing in repeat on my speakers.

This hurts.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: biglevel
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 18:01
Sad to hear this. My music world starts to melt. Unhappy

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 22:17
The later Can albums are so over-looked. They contain lots of fine music and Jaki doing what he does.
Funny how most of us Can fans seem to focus mostly on Jaki's work IMO. The other guys are great, unique, talented, but something almost mystical about what Jaki does.

Posted By: Gully Foyle
Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 06:45
argh - remarkable drummer, i adore many of his tracks

would have loved to hear a james brown/CAN collaboration, based solely on Jaki's masterful sense of the funk

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 12:13
One of the very best.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 15:23
Cry

-------------

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 16:02
Sad news Cry. One of my favorite drummers. RIP Jaki.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 09:55
Hi,

It's hard to put into words all this, and I am not sure that we all really want to and can, since the feelings just go so far and wide and all over the place.

For me, this is the time, that reminds me of the grand moments that we enjoyed these things when we first heard them, and how different and loving they were. We didn't know music could be this good and this far out, and it seemed that ... for a while ... each new album was even better than the last one, and we just could not even understand ... or listen truly to things from "Landed" (except Guy Guden - who played that album until it had no grooves ... perfect stuff for radio!) ... but we took them home, played them, and it was like ... our secret ... such great stuff ... 

Sadly, the one thing I remember the most from CAN, is not the music, although I love it dearly and live and die with "Bel Air" and the duo of "Chain Reaction/QPhysics", but Holger's letter that I had at one time, when he said that he did not like his first solo albums ... and I was crazy over them, since they were fun, creative, inventive, and so far out there ... no doubt, a moment of insanity was infused there, that was never to be found again anywhere ... and this was something that all the folks in CAN had, and they learned how to infuse these moments ... with grace, touch, beauty ... and make it a moment ... that both you and I will always remember.

I don't know, that any of us, is not specially glad to feel those moments ... not just hear ... has to be more than that, see, or it would not grab you and I ... and this is what pure ART is really all about ... that we forget, when we immediately go for the top ten.

Like it or not, it was Guy Guden that used to love saying ... none of the hits none of the time ... which gave reason for things like CAN, Amon Duul 2 and a thousand or two other bands, the chance to be heard from 1974 on ... and while CAN will never be a bottom 10 band for me, its impressive amount of work, places it amidst the biggest artists of the century for me ... as do many others ... even if this is not the way that many other folks look at these things. 

RIP, Jaki ... and I remember, I think it was a year plus ago ... on a thread here about drummers, and everyone had their favorites ... and Guy said ... Jaki ... and it seemed like the thread came to a dead stop ... not sure many had listened to CAN for its musicianship, any more than we did many other things ... but a day later ... it's impossible not to see it, and not go ... wow ... well done my friend ... so well done and beautiful ... that I don't think that we, as friends, lovers and relations, could possibly ask any more of you and your work.

With much love and care to the family and friends ... you will be missed, but remembered ... and remembered ... and remembered ... and remembered ....

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 14:13
Nice post Pedro...Over the past few years Can has become more and more important to my love of music. What they did was truly better than anyone.
These bands are all getting very old and sadly more of this news will come out.

-------------

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: January 31 2017 at 15:40
It was the seemingly telepathic and mutually empathetic way in which the 4 members of Can played and improvised; 4 parts of 1 organism. Something on the edge of and always slightly different from other bands. Take any one part out and Can no longer existed (of course, Damo Suzuki and Malcolm Mooney were both the 5th part of the organism). RIP Jaki, you had something very individual and very different from the legions of (truely excellant and otherwise..) 'Rock' drummers.

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 31 2017 at 16:00
sh*t. Unhappy

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 03 2017 at 14:37
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Nice post Pedro...Over the past few years Can has become more and more important to my love of music. What they did was truly better than anyone.
These bands are all getting very old and sadly more of this news will come out.

Thank you ... for me, it is all about the "art" in the music, not the hit or everyone's top ten. It's not the same thing, although some folks like to think that I am being this and that because of it.

In many ways, my ideas are that we have to write better critical essays on a lot of this music, so that it can be studied and understood better. In a funny sort of way, the American way of improvising, is to get stoned, and play the same riff ... whereas what CAN showed and many others also did from the (so-called) "Krautrock'rs" to Tangerine Dream to Klaus Schulze to Ash Ra Tempel ... that experimenting was a bit more than just a stoned trip to nowhere ... and this is the part that is a bit scary for me ... some of the bands doing this stuff, even nowadays, are simply putting together an "idea" and think that the audience will get it. Ideas are invisible in one's mind, even to oneself!

But a lot of these critical write ups and the book "FUTURE DAYS" goes over it well, are the only detail that is missing, and the one thing that we find is that there is a person/personality behind it all, a lot more than we think, and the "trip" is just a movie ... not an idea!

Reminds me of Klaus Kinski in "Aguirre, the Wrath of God" ... all ad-lib ... and it works! That's so close to CAN's ideas at the time, it's not even funny. But then ... check out one of those word plays by Peter Handke, and you can see that the scene at the time in Germany was about just ripping anything that had a process to absolutely nothing recognizeable. And I can tell you, as can Guy Guden, that many folks around us did not like it, until the stuff some of these folks did was more "recognizeable", by radio/popular standards.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk