Print Page | Close Window

Asia versus The Beatles

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110084
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 11:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Asia versus The Beatles
Posted By: uduwudu
Subject: Asia versus The Beatles
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 00:37
Purpose behind this poll: The Beatles were a song oriented band that so many prog fans wish were a prog band, as if that were going to happen. Asia, comprised of notable prog musos had the audacity to write and record songs now that the knew how. The Beatles were loved for their songs, Asia derided for their songs - and vice versa. Or both. What an odd bunch we prog fans are. Can we make up our mind?

I was going to have an either or category but respecting the intelligence, or at least retail judgment of those here then we shall have the either / or else type options.

Instrumentally based songs versus lyric and melody based songs.

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 00:51
WTF ??
Asia are my preference, even though I probably enjoy both equally (in small doses). I'm not a big fan of either, though I have respect for both.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 03:26
I much prefer to listen to Asia, but I accept that the Beatles were much more important as a band.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 04:51
I only like John Payne-era Asia, and they sound more like Journey, Toto or Survivor than anything close to the Beatles.

Although John Payne was a big fan of ELO wich is more or less a second generation Beatles. So maybe it's not a silly comparison.
Aura and Arena are amongst the best albums I ever listened to in my life. John Paye could create vocal choirs on his own. Great vocalist!

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 06:15
Oh my god! FC Barcelona playing Oldham Athletics.
(And no, I don't identify that whole continent with Barcelona. Wink)

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 06:26
Spice Girls

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 06:26
The Beatles and it's not even close!

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 06:28
The Beatles. No question.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 06:32
The Beatles..

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 07:09
The Beatles are definitely my choice here.
I've always been a big fan of The Beatles' middle years, Beatles '65 through Revolver.
I like the early stuff and the later stuff but I'm always drawn toward the middle years.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 08:02
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

This---Beatles wrote perfect arty pop songs---I mean Howe is one of the greatest guitarists ever---and what he did on the first Asia album by reinventing his style was great---but not an Asia fan at all except for the nostalgia value of the first album.
Anything that remotely sounds like Toto, Journey, FOreigner, etc is not my kind of music. And I don't think Asia is exactly that but the big corny AOR ballad thing is not my thing.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 08:32
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Spice Girls

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 09:24
Let's see, the most important and influential rock band of all time, versus a band in which the members were more influential and important when they played in previous bands.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 09:43
So let me get this straight. Prog can't be song oriented?

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 09:59
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

The Beatles songs I love; I have never been a fan at all of Asia, whose commerciality is rivaled only by Boston, and represents everything I despised about music when it died (temporarily) in the late '70s. Arena rock = crap, IMHO.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 10:11
Stones.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 10:16
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Stones.

And my brother's back at home
With his Beatles and his Stones,
We never got if off on that revolution stuff -- 
What a drag, too many snags. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 10:25
Afficher limage dorigine

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 10:26

Stones.

Me too. Thankfully the doctor said they will pass on their own. But man, they are excruciatingly painful.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 10:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Stones.

And my brother's back at home
With his Beatles and his Stones,
We never got if off on that revolution stuff -- 
What a drag, too many snags. 
Yeah Greg! That's me to a T! Clap

-------------

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 10:42
Three people are having a laugh

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 12:55
Really??? The Beatles!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 14:15
Looks like the Beatles are crushing... Can't say I have anything against Japan, but the Beatles have a slight edge to me. I voted for the latter.

Posted By: Progresearcher
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 15:08
Very strange theme, IMO. I think, even "People vs Animals" would be more topical than this one, really. The Beatles are the founders of rock music actually. Besides, such their albums as "Sergeant Pepper", "Abbey Road" and the 'white' one are in many ways progressive, the latter especially rich in genuinely progressive compositions. And who are Asia? They're money-makers first of all! A prog rock band? No! A pop prog one? Okay, but I need pop-prog (especially such as theirs) as much as a fish needs an umbrella. How could Steve Howe sling mud at "90125"? What a hypocrite! What's really a 'shameful creation', complete musical potboiler, is his (Asia's) "Alpha", released the very same year as the said Yes album! Well, enough said. Sorry, folks, for being so emotional.

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 15:28
I don't like the Beatles but at least they where highly influential on the music I love and many
artists I like.

No one would miss Asia if they never existed..

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 16:48
Boy how we so push for the Beatles to be prog, OP said it......They are not thank God. From a musical performance view Asia all day long, neither of the Fab Four can hold a candle to the musicianship of the members of Asia.
Had other bands performed the Beatles songs I might have gave those songs some attention..

-------------

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 17:02
My unpopular opinion is that they are both dreadful, sorry. 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 17:08
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Boy how we so push for the Beatles to be prog, OP said it......They are not thank God. From a musical performance view Asia all day long, neither of the Fab Four can hold a candle to the musicianship of the members of Asia.
Had other bands performed the Beatles songs I might have gave those songs some attention..

ClapClapClap

This

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 19:02
The Beatles by a mile, even if they are not truly Prog.  They did what they did better than anybody else, and they helped set the stage for Prog.  Asia may have had the Prog superstars and did some fine music, but there is really no contest.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 21:31
It's not even a contest. Who cares if Asia had much better musicians on a technical level than The Beatles, if the songs aren't nearly as memorable. If only Asia had existed in the 70's with the 70's mindset, it would have been a whole different beast.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 23:35
The Beatles were ground breaking in every way you can think ushering a new age of pop culture and sending most of the existing pop icons in the early 60's to early graves. If it wasn't for The Beatles, the Stones would still be doing covers in Blues bars. You're lucky if a band has one great song writer. The Beatles had three genius songwriters, plus they had George Martin working with them in the studio integrating other musical styles and instrumentation into the music. And even on a technical level they had artists playing in the studio with them, including Eric Clapton on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". They just didn't advertise which artists played on their records. Which brings up their one major weakness as a band. They were at their peak as a live band around 1962 and went downhill after around 1964 when the music was too complicated to play live to an audience (just as their records were getting better and better). Their live performance on the top of the rooftop of Abbey studios during the "Let It Be" sessions are pretty ordinary to me.

Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 01:19

Let's see, the most important and influential rock band of all time, versus a band in which the members were more influential and important when they played in previous bands.

No. Nothing to do with Led Zeppelin.

But a country and western band who attained acceptance because they sounded so white and non- threatening to the middle classes (contemporary cultural mores dictated this) and their competition was minimal. Pat Boone?

Versus a bunch of guys who could play rings around most and did so in a format that had been universally approved. And their competition was ... well, their prog loving audience deserted for whatever reason and times meant laying epics in 5 mins. Time to may attention.

Apparently if one band plays songs with whatever guitar sound (Revolution? - ye gods!) then it's kisses all around, but when another band does the same (plays songs and with way more sophistication) then its hate and despise time. We are ever so inconsistent.

The correct answer is both are fine.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 02:53
I hate these polls but I hate Asia even more than these polls.

Wetton would have been better off staying with Wishbone Ash......but Andy Powell and Laurie Wisefiled apparently didn't make him welcome. Pity really, as he really would have been a force with WA

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 04:04
Wetton is to blame. Cokehead, and not even a good singer/bassplayer.
He went from band to band only seeking popchart-succes. He couldn't find it with UK, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, etc.

Finally settling for Asia, wich became more and more a solo-project. Just listen to Alpha, that's a Wetton-solo album, not a group album.

Asia was the worst of the worst of the worst possible group I can imagine. All the bad parts of cliched pastiche and bombast that prog had, combine with the worst possible form of pop-rock.

Journey and Toto and Boston etc. beat Asia on every level.
It wasn't until Downes paired up with Payne, that Asia finally became a great group with stellar songwriting and a balanced sound.

Still I wonder, why on earth do Progrock-fanatics hate popmusic so much? Rock is popmusic. All music that isn't jazz/blues/classical etc. is popmusic (popular music).

And the bands that are idolized on the forum (Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd) are amongst the best selling artists in the world. Paired with Led Zeppelin, Queen, Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna and Elvis PResley.
Pink Floyd, Beatles and Led Zeppelin are in the top 10 of the world best selling artists ever!!!!

So if, progsnobs so desperately want to dismiss popular music, they'd better start to listen to Payne-era Asia instead of Beatles or Led Zeppelin. Because Payne-era Asia only sold maybe 100 albums in total. 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 04:36
A no-brainer. Despite the distinguished reputation of some Asia members in prog circles, this is something like a skating match between Sven Kramer and me.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 08:33

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

But a country and western band who attained acceptance because they sounded so white and non- threatening to the middle classes (contemporary cultural mores dictated this) and their competition was minimal. Pat Boone?

Evidently, you weren't around in the 60s. Reply back when you've actually done some research. Your comment is misguided to the point of embarrassment.

Versus a bunch of guys who could play rings around most and did so in a format that had been universally approved. And their competition was ... well, their prog loving audience deserted for whatever reason and times meant laying epics in 5 mins. Time to may attention.

Their prog-loving audience deserted Asia because they became nothing more than an AOR arena band intent on moving product. Commercial pablum from high-end musicians out to make a buck.

Apparently if one band plays songs with whatever guitar sound (Revolution? - ye gods!) then it's kisses all around, but when another band does the same (plays songs and with way more sophistication) then its hate and despise time. We are ever so inconsistent.

There is no inconsistency. As I stated earlier, every member of Asia played in bands (Yes, ELP, etc.) and composed music that was far more important and influential previously than the sell out they became. How you can even keep a straight face while listening to "The Heat of the Moment" is beyond me. As far as the Beatles, there legacy is in tact and their amount of innovations and compositional ability is well noted, so I won't waste my time here going over them.

P.S. That The Beatles influenced Yes is well documented in many interviews. There's a brief intro by Jon Anderson before Yes plays this Beatles' cover...

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 11:54
I prefer the Asian Beatles
It was the Heat of the Walrus

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Progresearcher
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 12:37
Musicianship? Technical abilities? I just don't care... Otherwise I would have never listened to Pink Floyd, Camel, Marillion (1983 to '95) and the likes, whose musical performance doesn't shine with technical filigree, but the music is brilliant, often throughout an album. The topic itself, "Asia vs The Beatles", sounds surrealistic, if not senseless. Anyway, whether I'm right in this respect or not, I have no desire to dispute with you about something that lies beyond your knowledge box. Sorry. Have a pleasing pastime with Asia.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 16:29
The Fab Four

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 17:47
Here you go, for all you Beatles nutz...... LOL
Only 500 for the US......better click BUY quickly, I am sure these will be worth $1,000's within a week.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 06:23

a country and western band
Confused

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 07:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

a country and western band
Confused

LOL I went back and read it again and yeah, don't get where he was going with that. Maybe he can expound more clearly.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 12:58
Rush

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 18:15

Evidently, you weren't around in the 60s. Reply back when you've actually done some research. Your comment is misguided to the point of embarrassment.

Oh I have. Alas, cited references unavailable as academic presentation not anticipated.

But what competition was there that was established in the minds of the 60s public? It is VERY well documented that the "race" records of the 50s had been negated and bland whitey pop dominated. Hence why The Beatles sounded both fresh and acceptable to a mainstream western public that had been socialized in a racist environment. Not that the Beatles are anything to do with that - far from it. But socially reassuring C and W made The Beatles mainly acceptable. I have read some commentary contemporary to the times where some black people were not impressed. But the varying social cultural values and impact have been er, whitewashed. Anyway a listen to the BBC material and the early records reveals a country influence (Ringo's a big C and W fan). Of course that changed (for the most part).

Their prog-loving audience deserted Asia because they became nothing more than an AOR arena band intent on moving product. Commercial pablum from high-end musicians out to make a buck.

> Ah, but the audiences had deserted long before then. Clearly times had changed and Asia moved with the times. As did everyone else. Also the public perception was also analogous with the times. Audience sophistication was both more aware and more cynical. The boundaries of music and business had blurred.

There is no inconsistency. As I stated earlier, every member of Asia played in bands (Yes, ELP, etc.) and composed music that was far more important and influential previously than the sell out they became. How you can even keep a straight face while listening to "The Heat of the Moment" is beyond me. As far as the Beatles, there legacy is in tact and their amount of innovations and compositional ability is well noted, so I won't waste my time here going over them.

P.S. That The Beatles influenced Yes is well documented in many interviews. There's a brief intro by Jon Anderson before Yes plays this Beatles' cover...

Heat is a fine a fine song. I can't keep a straight face with Revolution with that horrible guitar sound. It'd have been nice if Clapton (or Jeff Beck) had done more (any) work with The Beatles as they both knew how to get decent guitar sounds from the limited kit available at the time. And yes The Beatles have many fine compositions, very well done. They also came from a period in time where the sheer quantity of recordings was a lot less than 30 years ago (never mind now).

Sadly Asia are assessed by reactionary views that condemn the band for what they are not. I'm quite fine with Tales, Heat, Owner of a Lonely Heart, Gates, Awaken and all sorts of work these guys created in their various incarnations - I figure they know their music best. Anyway it may be viewed that Heat Of The Moment is actually (lyrically) reinforcing the 80s "values" (And now you find yourself in '82 etc). Carl Palmer's drums and percussion add so much detail into the recordings as well... There is something to be said for the sell out thing (thinking of that awful video for Don't Cry). But Asia had to rely on a new audience as the '70s crowd became '80s yuppies.

Had Asia not been faced with their audience adopting Hall Of Fame attitudes then they would not have become so discouraged so quickly. Had they been so determined to push product they would have kept going. As it happens its some minor labels that manipulated licensing laws to foist some very inferior live recordings on the public - so it seems like there is product pushing. Or there actually is product pushing but not with the full consent of Asia. I've a review in their section somewhere - an atrocious production of quite a good performance.

The Fantasia in Tokyo (I've only got the DVD) show a fine symphonic rock band in action. Who else could cover King Crimson and The Buggles?

I'm well aware of The Beatles influence on Yes and everybody Including Fripp. Musically I think it may be the absence of blues in The Beatles music that contributed to so many bands cutting that umbilical cord beginning with the prog bands. It may be the presence of country melody in The Beatles that prompted Don Henley to remark "Eagles picked up where The Beatles left off". I'll let anyone else make of that one what they will.

Poor old John Wetton did wonders with King Crimson. His sideman roles led to forming Asia with Downes. And yes there was a lot of record company (John Kalodner) over the shoulder supervision of song writing which surprised me.

I did quite like Downe's remark with Asia recordings ("start with the first and keep going until you find the one you don't like then stop). Unfortunately I am not familiar at all with the John Payne incarnation at all (I usually get sold on anything that has Steve Howe involved) but from what I've read here it seems to be something to check out.

Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 20:13

Oh I have. Alas, cited references unavailable as academic presentation not anticipated.

But what competition was there that was established in the minds of the 60s public? It is VERY well documented that the "race" records of the 50s had been negated and bland whitey pop dominated. Hence why The Beatles sounded both fresh and acceptable to a mainstream western public that had been socialized in a racist environment. Not that the Beatles are anything to do with that - far from it. But socially reassuring C and W made The Beatles mainly acceptable. I have read some commentary contemporary to the times where some black people were no impressed. But the varying social cultural values and impact have been er, whitewashed. Anyway a listen to the BBC material and the early records reveals a country influence (Ringo's a big C and W fan). Of course that changed (for the most part).

You are conflating eras, confusing musical styles, and even mixing metaphors. You also know little of The Beatles early discography. George Harrison had a career-long friendship with the great Carl Perkins, and the style they emulated on the few songs of that genre (like Perkins' "Matchbox") are referred to more as "rockabilly", but to infer they played Country Western, or that people who listened to Country Western listened to The Beatles, or that Country Western made it easier to accept or listen to The Beatles is patent nonsense. By the 1960s, those people who listened to Country Western wouldn't be caught dead listening to rock bands like the Stones or the Beatles. Oil and Water. You are referring to a previous generation of entertainers like Elvis Presley or Pat Boone at the inception of rock and roll, and you are referring to the appropriation of blues and R&B by marketable white performers in the 1950s, not the 60s (and the further the longhaired Beatles progressed, the more parents couldn't stand them -- the Beach Boys were the virginal rock ideal). Steve Howe was more into straight Country Western, noting on several occasions his love of Chet Atkins.

Ah, but the audiences had deserted long before then. Clearly times had changed and Asia moved with the times. As did everyone else. Also the public perception was also analogous with the times. Audience sophistication was both more aware and more cynical. The boundaries of music and business had blurred.

The prog audience moved away from Asia like they moved away from Genesis, because they were no longer prog, but as soon as Yes reformed with Howe, the fans, including myself, went to sold out shows (like on the splendid Union Tour). Asia plodded on throughout the 1990s playing in bowling alleys and county fairs.

And yes The Beatles have many fine compositions, very well done. They also came from a period in time where the sheer quantity of recordings was a lot less than 30 years ago (never mind now).

What is your point? The Beatles sold more albums in the 1990s than they did in the 60s; in fact, in the period between 1991 to 2008 they sold over 57 million albums (and that was before the Remasters came out) . So much for the sheer quantity of music. LOL

Sadly Asia are assessed by reactionary views that condemn the band for what they are not. I'm quite fine with Tales, Heat, Owner of a Lonely Heart, Gates, Awaken and all sorts of work these guys created in their various incarnations - I figure they know their music best. Anyway it may be viewed that Heat Of The Moment is actually (lyrically) reinforcing the 80s "values" (And now you find yourself in '82 etc). Carl Palmer's drums and percussion add so much detail into the recordings as well... There is something to be said for the sell out thing (thinking of that awful video for Don't Cry). But Asia had to rely on a new audience as the '70s crowd became '80s yuppies.

Reactionary views? You bring together prog-rock superstars, you expect a level of music based on their abilities. Instead, Asia brought arena pablum. I remember hearing them for the first time and saying "WTF?" It was a joke. What a waste of talent. Evidently, enough people thought the same way and they couldn't rely on their MTV hits to sustain anything.

I'm well aware of The Beatles influence on Yes and everybody Including Fripp. Musically I think it may be the absence of blues in The Beatles music that contributed to so many bands cutting that umbilical cord beginning with the prog bands. It may be the presence of country melody in The Beatles that prompted Don Henley to remark "Eagles picked up where The Beatles left off". I'll let anyone else make of that one what they will.

You seem stuck on this country thing. It's funny. They played a couple songs by Carl Perkins, and "Kansas City" (actually a Lieber/Stoller composition) and "Act Naturally" played by Buck Owens over their first 5 albums. They also played a lot of Little Richard and Chuck Berry. By the time Rubber Soul and Revolver came out they had completely evolved away from having to rely on covers. I think the country covers afforded Ringo a chance to sing without having to overtax his limited vocal talent.

As far as blues, The Beatles actually started playing more of it the further they went on, particularly after Sgt. Peppers (Revolution, Yer Blues, Why Don't We Do It In the Road, Come Together, I Want You (She's So Heavy), I, Me, Mine, I've Got A Feeling, One After 909. For You Blue, etc.), so they didn't cut the string, but took existing musical concepts beyond their original intentions - and one would definitely refer to I Want You (She's So Heavy) as progressive blues composition.

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2017 at 19:25
I voted for Asia just to be different and go against the grain. Tongue

Date Posted: February 01 2017 at 19:28
[And now you find yourself in '82 etc]

Actually no. 82 in that line of the song refers to a nightclub called the 82. It's just a coincidence that the song and album were released in 1982. And no I'm not joking. Google it if you don't believe me. ;)

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 01 2017 at 21:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">[And now you find yourself in '82 etc]</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Actually no. 82 in that line of the song refers to a nightclub called the 82. It's just a coincidence that the song and album were released in 1982. And no I'm not joking. Google it if you don't believe me. ;)</span>

Yet, I think they have been changing that number live according to the year they are singing the song.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 02 2017 at 09:32
No Beatles, No Prog

It's that simple!!!

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: February 11 2017 at 09:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Clap  Like MMEB bettered certain Dylan/Springsteen songs :) Jon Anderson & Co. made "Every Little Thing" stellar, Beatles could only dream of stuff like that. 
       Btw, Lennon admired "Whiter Shade of Pale" very high, wished he had written songs like it. Rick Wakemanīs instrumental version of "Eleanor Rigby" on a video (1989 ?) is brilliant. 
I give 3 stars to "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" īcos they are great pop records, but the album after these gets one. Itīs like kidsīmusic. Never took them as prog, just rock/pop band no more no less. And they just lost they magic when turning to too serious in musicianship, "Abbey Road" especially is just dull. Progressive ? Rock ? Give me a break. King Crimson, COLOSSEUM is rock. George Harrisonīs "Something" is the only song I admire, one of most beautiful they did.

At the the same time real serious and way talented musicians such as Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, Keith Emerson, Gary Brooker were creating something really interesting and different "pop" music.

ASIAīs 2 first album are the very finest the utterly dull early 80īs produced. ASIA beats all AOR (-oriented) totoros by light years. Except Boston and Journeyīs "Infinity" but these are from the 70īs actually. Anyway, they are as prog as possibly can get, that after-prog/NW/neo-pop or whatever BS music industry could ever produce.

They 2 are perfect albums in everything. And the most melodic from the 80īs. Huge respect since, especially for Carl Palmer, rockīs best drummer still going strong.

Where these silly contests arise ? Give me strenght.

John Wetton, you are the greatest :) RIP

-------------
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.

Date Posted: February 11 2017 at 10:27
As strange as this may sound, even John Fogerty of CCR wished he hd written A Whiter Shade of Pale, as has Pete Townshend. What a timeless song.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk