Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110098
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 23:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Genesis or Pink Floyd album?
Posted By: TexasKing
Subject: Genesis or Pink Floyd album?
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 12:25
I think The Lamb is a better album, so that's my pick.

What you say?

Replies:
Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 13:29
^ Handshake

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 13:39
The Lamb by 1.5-2 stars.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 14:08
Both could have been 1LP, they do drag in places. The Wall for me for the few songs that are amazing and still are..

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 14:18
The Wall is the better album.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 15:16
Don't like Lamb,but don't mind about 1/2 of the Wall .

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 15:29
Not huge on either of these, but The Lamb has some really great sections, like The Lamia.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 16:32
Easily The Lamb.

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 17:54
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Easily The Lamb.

Same for me---it has perfect flow and some amazing prog songs---The Wall not nearly as perfect

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 18:57
Wall

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 21:12
The Lamb by far. The Wall was far too radio-ready for my tastes. Last Floyd to my liking is Wish You Were Here.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 21:48
For me both albums are dissapointments compared to their previous albums... they are the albums were the bands lost the sonic beauty that created the masterpieces they released before. However, I still think The Wall is brilliant in it's own (and different) merit, while The Lamb just doesn't do much for me, except for a few independent pieces. I think the concept of The Wall is rather brilliant, while the one on The Lamb just doesn't do anything for me... except put me off with a few lyrics.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: January 29 2017 at 22:51
I'll take sides 2 and 3 of the Wall and compare to sides 1 and 3 of LLDOB.
Or compare Comfortably Numb to the Cage.
Either way the Wall is the superior album.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 02:48
Another easy poll.
The Lamb by far.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 04:27
The Lamb could have been a great single album, but the story is silly and requires too much filler. 4*

The Wall is a couple of great songs with the rest mostly filler. 2*

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 04:58
"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" is by far the best album Genesis ever made. "The Wall" on the other hand is even worse than "Animals", which in my opinion marks the beginning of the decline of Pink Floyd

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 05:43
The Lamb, by a large margin, IMHO.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 06:13
At last someone whose view of Floyd coincides with mine! "Animals" sounded to me like a rehash of portions of DSOM and WYWH with new lyrics and a more commercial sound. Gone forever were the soothing vocals of thei previous albums, and gone forever was the Floyd I loved. "The Wall" took what "Animals" began and added a mega-dose of "I am radio-friendly." If it was good, you wouldn't have heard it on the radio, because by that time mass-marketed music had lost 99 percent of its integrity.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 07:23
La Génése  ... et de loin.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 07:50
I have to go with

The Wall

I also like the Lamb quite a bit

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 07:59
The Lamb is one of the few Genesis things that I quite like, but...

Risultati immagini per the wall live

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 09:12
What an absolutely ludicrisp poll.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 10:42
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" is by far the best album Genesis ever made. "The Wall" on the other hand is even worse than "Animals", which in my opinion marks the beginning of the decline of Pink Floyd

I agree about The Lamb. My fave used to be Trick, but in recent years I've fallen back in love with the Lamb.

I do like The wall though, and Animals is the best Floyd album IMO..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 11:16
I've come to realise that there is a huge love for Genesis on this forum, one which I'm afraid I don't altogether share, well as much as anyone who owns five Genesis CDs can say they aren't a lover of Genesis.
When I saw the choice my first reaction was no contest, it has to be The Wall, but I can see that as I was inj the Genesis vs Marillion threads, I'm swimming against the tide.

I love The Wall. I think it is brilliant from start to finish, an opinion I also hold  for   every Pink Floyd album  from Dark Side of the Moon to The Final Cut as well as The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, Radio kAOS and Amused to Death

But I could never get into The Lamb...  well apart from Carpet Crawlers, Counting Out Time and the sublime Chamber of 32 Doors

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 11:17
The Lamb wins hands down over The Wall. But The Wall walks over Genesis albums.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 11:20
I admit it's really close but for me personally the Lamb just has too much filler on it. It doesn't drag on like some of topographic does but still I think it would have been a better single album. The Wall seems more cohesive to me and although there are some slightly boring or quiet parts it all seems to work well and I like the special effects and the clever way in which it was put together. Maybe more of an art rock album than true full blown prog but I still like it. 

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 11:27
Two very different, yet excellent and powerful albums. It's hard to say which is my favorite, since I love and enjoy them both.

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 12:05
The Wall by far, as its not only my favorite PF album, but my favorite album in general. The Lamb has waaaay too much filler for my liking, though it is still my favorite Genesis record.

-------------
The most dangerous man in America.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 12:56
Le Mur

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 13:48
Originally posted by Scorpius Scorpius wrote:

The Wall by far, as its not only my favorite PF album, but my favorite album in general. The Lamb has waaaay too much filler for my liking, though it is still my favorite Genesis record.

there is no filler whatever on "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 14:15
Definitely the Lamb, though I like The Wall as well.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 14:29

Yes there is. Much of sides three and four, in fact.

Anyhow, I still love both, but The Wall is a classic and made up a deep part of the soundtrack to my angry youth.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 14:45
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Anyhow, I still love both, but The Wall is a classic and made up a deep part of the soundtrack to my angry youth.

no, there is not. every single track has significance. if you don't like certain tracks, fine. but filler they are not

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 15:02

no, there is not. every single track has significance. if you don't like certain tracks, fine. but filler they are not

I am afraid that I have always subscribed to the school of " great single,album, too much for a double". Interestingly, Banks said much the same on the last BBC documentary, much to Gabriel's chagrin.

You are right, though, that Gabriel wrote the album as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a magnificent album, just an album I have always thought of as a flawed masterpiece.

-------------

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 17:52
PF is my fav band and while The Wall is not my fav album from them, I prefer it to the Lamb. Never could understand exactly what Gabriel was getting at with The Lamb story. Then again, The Wall is no walk in the park either but I am very surprised that it's getting thumbed in this poll.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 20:27
Genesis.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 20:53
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

PF is my fav band and while The Wall is not my fav album from them, I prefer it to the Lamb. Never could understand exactly what Gabriel was getting at with The Lamb story. Then again, The Wall is no walk in the park either but I am very surprised that it's getting thumbed in this poll.

Unfortunatley, I'm not surprised... I expected it.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 23:24
CLEARLY, the LAMB if only for the lyric, "There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston Cigarettes..."

I could listen to the pairing of "Anyway" leading into "Here Comes the Supernatural Anesthetist" over and over again.

I find the Wall to be one of the most whiny, miserable, depressing progressive rock albums in existence.  Never cared for it.  The Lamb seems like an adventure to me.  The Wall seems like misery and futility.  I like adventure better.

And I DO like Pink Floyd, so please, don't hate me...

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: January 31 2017 at 05:24
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

CLEARLY, the LAMB if only for the lyric, "There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston Cigarettes..."

I could listen to the pairing of "Anyway" leading into "Here Comes the Supernatural Anesthetist" over and over again.

I find the Wall to be one of the most whiny, miserable, depressing progressive rock albums in existence.  Never cared for it.  The Lamb seems like an adventure to me.  The Wall seems like misery and futility.  I like adventure better.

And I DO like Pink Floyd, so please, don't hate me...

Whiny, miserable, and depressing is NOT The Wall. The Wall was their album that did the most for the world. The others all set an example for prog bands, and had great instrumentals, and... overall, they were indescribable. But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

The meaning behind The Wall is so well thought out... Misery and futility? Maybe that's what makes it so great... it's talking about a guy with a metaphorical wall in his head, so that he can't make decisions, and is blocking himself from doing what's right. 

And then there's Comfortably Numb... that's my favorite song of all time, and though I might prefer albums like Animals, WYWH, and DSOTM to The Wall, The Wall is still mastery.

The LLDOB is genius, and is also great. I happen to prefer The Wall. But that doesn't matter because they're both amazing.

Just don't say such ridiculous baloney about The Wall.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: January 31 2017 at 08:15
What is this?  A News site?  I wasn't posting about Trump or Hillary?  I was just stating my opinion!  Sheeez!  So my opinion is baloney?  Man, relax and go back to a news site.  I ask humbly to not hate me and you did anyways!

Sheeez.  We cant have an unpopular opinion at all on the internet anymore can we.  I guess I have to love Beyonce and Rhianna and give up my love of prog music too because it's not popular enough for you?

Man!  Listen to your own favorite!!  You sound like your lyrics:  "If I had my way, I'd have you all shot!"

Sheeez!   RELAX!  IT'S JUST MUSIC.  We can all like what we like and not like what we don't like.  My opinion is no less baloney and ridiculousness then yours.  Be the first and stop it with the internet abuse.  I didn't call anyone's opinion crap, I just stated how I felt.  That's what this forum AND THESE POLLS ARE FOR RIGHT?  If you are gonna chew someone out for their opinion, then why have a poll?  Are you bating people to troll them?

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: rocko
Date Posted: January 31 2017 at 09:12
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

...  But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

ehm .. lol ..  thanks for the best laugh today ....

No, it didn't inspire any german to tear down that wall. The world already agreed that the only valid musical influence for that was David Hasselhoff's "Looking for freedom" ... Wink

And to add something useful to the thread, i voted for The Wall ... somehow i never really got connected to LLDOB

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:19
Love PF but The Wall leaves me cold for some reason...

Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:37
^The same with Rick Wright.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 09:17
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

What is this?  A News site?  I wasn't posting about Trump or Hillary?  I was just stating my opinion!  Sheeez!  So my opinion is baloney?  Man, relax and go back to a news site.  I ask humbly to not hate me and you did anyways!

Sheeez.  We cant have an unpopular opinion at all on the internet anymore can we.  I guess I have to love Beyonce and Rhianna and give up my love of prog music too because it's not popular enough for you?

Man!  Listen to your own favorite!!  You sound like your lyrics:  "If I had my way, I'd have you all shot!"

Sheeez!   RELAX!  IT'S JUST MUSIC.  We can all like what we like and not like what we don't like.  My opinion is no less baloney and ridiculousness then yours.  Be the first and stop it with the internet abuse.  I didn't call anyone's opinion crap, I just stated how I felt.  That's what this forum AND THESE POLLS ARE FOR RIGHT?  If you are gonna chew someone out for their opinion, then why have a poll?  Are you bating people to troll them?

I really didn't mean it that way, and I'm just seeing this reply now. I really wish PA had a notification center, or something like that.

I meant more that "The Wall" was great and had a big historical output than what I said about your opinion. I just didn't hear the misery and futility... I'm such a big fan of it that I reacted ridiculously.

But possibly the biggest problem is that you didn't hear my voice. I meant it way more calm, and "baloney" probably ruined the way I came across. :(

Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 09:20
Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

...  But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

No, it didn't inspire any german to tear down that wall. The world already agreed that the only valid musical influence for that was David Hasselhoff's "Looking for freedom" ... Wink

And to add something useful to the thread, i voted for The Wall ... somehow i never really got connected to LLDOB

I'm only going by what I heard...?

I wasn't around at the time, but that's what many of my older companions have told and explained to me about the album.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 10:09

I wasn't around at the time, but that's what many of my older companions have told and explained to me about the album.
I always thought the inspiration came from Terry Gilliam's movie, Adventures of Baron Munchausen. "Open the Gates!"

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 10:48
Haven't liked The Wall since I was about 18. Lamb is timeless.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 10:56
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I always thought the inspiration came from Terry Gilliam's movie, Adventures of Baron Munchausen. "Open the Gates!"

Not sure about all that, but it is becoming evermore clear that teachers are leaving those kids alone.Though correlation / causation not confirmed. But this is the internet so I'm making it official.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: February 10 2017 at 13:36
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

The Lamb wins hands down over The Wall. But The Wall walks over Genesis albums.

-------------

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: February 11 2017 at 07:15
The Lamb for 1000 reasons. I love "The Wall" (as many of music listeners around the world) so much but "The Lamb" is better 

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: February 11 2017 at 10:00
The Wall, and it's nowhere near being my favorite PF album. I can't stand The Lamb.

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: February 13 2017 at 08:03
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

I think The Lamb is a better album, so that's my pick.

What you say?

SO much better - no contest, IMO...

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 16:21
Genesis

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 16:48
I don't like either album but I'll go with Genesis 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 19:06

But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

Oh please.

Do you believe the SED POLITBURO members gathered to listen  Roger Waters whining about his overprotective mother building a wall around him and were inspired to throw the Berlin wall..

This was decided long before, and believe me, no Rock album had any impact on the decision.

It's obvious you were not around that time.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 05:49
It's pretty much a draw for me, both I like overall, both are not my favourites of those bands, both have their highs and lows, some songs I always love to get back to and some that are rather forgettable. I don't have much of an issue with either concept or lyrics; actually I get more out of them both than out of many concept albums, but then I'm not that much into lyrics generally. I can appreciate concept albums and accept a few fillers (music-wise) if they're properly embedded in the whole thing. So both good but you won't find them on my top 100 albums list.

And just adding another German voice, no connection at all between Roger's wall and the German one.

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 06:47
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

Oh please.

Do you believe the SED POLITBURO members gathered to listen  Roger Waters whining about his overprotective mother building a wall around him and were inspired to throw the Berlin wall..

This was decided long before, and believe me, no Rock album had any impact on the decision.

It's obvious you were not around that time.

I've stated openly that I was not around during that time. And, for the last time, I'll tell you that I'm just going off of WHAT I HEARD from many who WERE AROUND during that time.

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:03

I've stated openly that I was not around during that time. And, for the last time, I'll tell you that I'm just going off of WHAT I HEARD from many who WERE AROUND during that time.

Yeah man, you said it, but there are books about the issue.

It's better to read it here than to suffer a harsh response by a jerk if you say this in real life.

I assure you, there's absolutely no relation between Pink Floyd The Wall and the Berlin Wall.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:28
Now about the albums

I love Pink Floyd, but The Wall is not among my favourites

I love Genesis more and The Lamb is an icon of an era, even not my favourite.

Still, I'll go with The Lamb by far

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:32

yeah man, you said it, but there are books about the issue.

It's better to read it here than to suffer a harsh response by a jerk if you say this in real life.

I asure you, there's absolutely no relation between Pink Floyd The Wall and the Berlin Wall.

Roger Waters, did, though, make a relationship between the two by staging a concert in Berlin of The Wall, featuring s host of guest artists not long after the coming down of said wall.

The Wall was not merely an album about his mother, father, divorce, paranoia, breakdown of relationships, and ego, although it was all of those things, but also about the impact of said issues on Pink, and it's relationship to real life walls being built between people and cultures. In that regard, the Berlin Wall was very much in his thoughts when he wrote the album.

It is absolutely no accident whatsoever that Pink built a wall around his alter ego, and said alter ego was a fascist dictator. Again, the correlation between this and the real wall was absolutely no accident whatsoever. Of course, Waters regularly utilised real life politics and political situations in his lyrics and musical theatre.

Young Mlkpad14 has a point here, and his point should not be dismissed so lightly.

EDIT. The Wall album did not, though, inspire the Germans to tear down said wall. That is a silly fallacy. That there is a connection between both walls is not in doubt in my opinion.

-------------

Posted By: Tillerman88
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 13:44
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

But The Wall walks over Genesis albums.
LOL

The Wall ROCKS over Genesis albums Wink
Ouch.......forgot I'm on a PROG Rock Forum...........

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 14:01

Yeah man, you said it, but there are books about the issue.

I assure you, there's absolutely no relation between Pink Floyd The Wall and the Berlin Wall.

Ok, thanks then. I'll make sure to heed that advice, and abandon thoughts of any relationship between the two. 

Also, I was not trying to come off angry with the capitals. I was just trying to emphasize my previous opinion on the influence between The Wall and the Berlin Wall.

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 14:03

yeah man, you said it, but there are books about the issue.

I asure you, there's absolutely no relation between Pink Floyd The Wall and the Berlin Wall.

Roger Waters, did, though, make a relationship between the two by staging a concert in Berlin of The Wall, featuring s host of guest artists not long after the coming down of said wall.

The Wall was not merely an album about his mother, father, divorce, paranoia, breakdown of relationships, and ego, although it was all of those things, but also about the impact of said issues on Pink, and it's relationship to real life walls being built between people and cultures. In that regard, the Berlin Wall was very much in his thoughts when he wrote the album.

It is absolutely no accident whatsoever that Pink built a wall around his alter ego, and said alter ego was a fascist dictator. Again, the correlation between this and the real wall was absolutely no accident whatsoever. Of course, Waters regularly utilised real life politics and political situations in his lyrics and musical theatre.

Young Mlkpad14 has a point here, and his point should not be dismissed so lightly.

EDIT. The Wall album did not, though, inspire the Germans to tear down said wall. That is a silly fallacy. That there is a connection between both walls is not in doubt in my opinion.

And that's probably where what I've heard comes in. I will get a book on the matter, or maybe fetch myself some articles on it.

Thank you as to the facts you've provided on the situation. 
Let there now be peace. :)

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 17:34

The Wall album did not, though, inspire the Germans to tear down said wall. That is a silly fallacy. That there is a connection between both walls is not in doubt in my opinion.

Well, according to Roger, the idea for the wall, came from his feeling that there was a wall between himself and the audience, he was doing something transcendental, and the audience was for the show, so he felt like there was a wall between him and the audience.

Well, the idea for "The Wall' came from ten years of touring, rock shows, I think, particularly the last few years in '75 and in '77 we were playing to very large audiences, some of whom were our old audience who'd come to see us play, but most of whom were only there for the beer, in big stadiums, and, er, consequently it became rather an alienating experience doing the shows. I became very conscious of a wall between us and our audience and so this record started out as being an expression of those feelings.
http://www.rogerwaters.org/79wallint.html

That's why they built a wall to hide the band 

And I'm sure it's not the band's feeling, because David loved the crowds, the beer, everything. LOL

With the pass of years, I learned that everything in Roger's mind is Roger  his ego, and his problems (Imaginary or real).

PS: I heard a similar myth, I was in Ecuador in 1991 or 1992, and they showed the Concert in Berlin on TV, and the announcer said that Roger made the concert 24 hours before the fall of the wall, and that his concert caused a massive reaction, I called the station, and told him that as a fact the concert was some days later, but he said....I know, but my story is more interesting. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 21:14
I just read today on wikipedia that the song "Heroes" from David Bowie did actually have some impact for bringing down the wall in Berlin... so perhaps it's not totally ridiculous to think The Wall album could have such an influence too (I'm not saying that it did, or that I think it might have, though, only that it might not be as ridiculous).

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 21:21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Heroes%22_(David_Bowie_song)

Posted By: Tillerman88
Date Posted: February 16 2017 at 01:42

That's why they built a wall to hide the band .
And I'm sure it's not the band's feeling, because David loved the crowds, the beer, everything. LOL

Precisely because of Water's The Wall and the bitter partnership Gilmour had with his former bandmate many people misinterpreted Gilmour's and the band's real feelings behind The Divisiin Bell lyrics, which have often been read as a reflection on his alienating relationship with Waters. 

A quote from Wiki:

" Gilmour commented on this reading: "I'm quite happy for people to interpret The Division Bell any way they like. But maybe a note of caution should be sounded because you can read too much into it. 'A Great Day for Freedom', for example, has got nothing to do with Roger or his 'wall'. It just doesn't. What else can I say?"  "
The song, originally titled "In Shades of Grey", addresses the great hopes following the fall of the Berlin Wall and the disappointment that followed. David Gilmiur stated:
"There was a wonderful moment of optimism when the Wall came down – the release of Eastern Europe from the non-democratic side of the socialist system. But what they have now doesn't seem to be much better. Again, I'm fairly pessimistic about it all. I sort of wish and live in hope, but I tend to think that history moves at a much slower pace than we think it does. I feel that real change takes a long, long time."

Date Posted: February 16 2017 at 05:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Here's a quote from the Vox page that the Wikipedia page cites for evidencing their positive statement about the role of Bowie's performance:
Yet this version of history may be more appealing than it is true. The Berlin Wall was chiefly brought down by historical forces that flowed in from the east, not from the west. It was Gorbachev's reforms of the Soviet system, the decisions of a few Soviet-bloc states to edge away from Moscow's control, disarray among the East German leadership, and the actions of East Germans on the ground that ultimately shaped history. Bowie's performance, like Reagan's speech a year later, did not determine Berlin's fate.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/11/10749546/david-bowie-berlin-wall-heroes

Admittedly it says some more positive things, too. Certainly Bowie did the right thing at the right time there, but anyway, rock fans are for obvious reasons prone to overstating the influence of their heroes and treasures... (I'm not aware that any such claim was made in a similarly qualified manner about Roger's Wall.)

Date Posted: February 16 2017 at 21:59
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Here's a quote from the Vox page that the Wikipedia page cites for evidencing their positive statement about the role of Bowie's performance:
Yet this version of history may be more appealing than it is true. The
Berlin Wall was chiefly brought down by historical forces that flowed in
from the east, not from the west. It was Gorbachev's reforms of the
Soviet system, the decisions of a few Soviet-bloc states to edge away
from Moscow's control, disarray among the East German leadership, and
the actions of East Germans on the ground that ultimately shaped
history. Bowie's performance, like Reagan's speech a year later, did not
determine Berlin's fate.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/11/10749546/david-bowie-berlin-wall-heroes

Admittedly it says some more positive things, too. Certainly Bowie did the right thing at the right time there, but anyway, rock fans are for obvious reasons prone to overstating the influence of their heroes and treasures... (I'm not aware that any such claim was made in a similarly qualified manner about Roger's Wall.)

Yeah, well, it would be naive to believe it was a major factor, but it might have given some encouragement, like a cheerleader on sports. However, in the same page there was even something about the president of Germany giving some recognition to Bowie last year when he passed away.

Date Posted: February 17 2017 at 05:21

Yeah, well, it would be naive to believe it was a major factor, but it might have given some encouragement, like a cheerleader on sports. However, in the same page there was even something about the president of Germany giving some recognition to Bowie last year when he passed away.

Background information for this is that many Germans, particularly politicians, aren't overly happy to acknowledge that Gorbachev and even some SED leaders at the time did more to make it happen than the "ordinary" people in the street  let alone people from the West.
The case is good enough to be considered and discussed so thanks for bringing it up, I wouldn't reject some effect altogether, although ultimately I remain unconvinced.
The given quote is not by the German president by the way, rather by someone working for the Foreign Office (officially twittering for the FO), I'd guess a rock or at least Bowie fan.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 02:24
Genesis Lamb > Floyd The Wall

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk