Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110244
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 14:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rush or Jethro Tull?
Posted By: TexasKing
Subject: Rush or Jethro Tull?
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 06:44
OK. I prefer Rush, never was a big fan of Tull, though I appreciate their work and like some songs. 

You?

Replies:
Posted By: Watchmaker
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 06:50
Jethro Tull. No question about it.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 07:13
Tull

Posted By: zachfive
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 07:26
Both great great bands. I am giving it to Rush. They are responsible for introducing me to this whole "Prog" thang.

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 08:21
Not a huge fan of either, but Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play demolish anything Rush ever did.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 08:23
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

OK. I prefer Rush, never was a big fan of Tull, though I appreciate their work and like some songs.

OK, I prefer Tull, never was a big fan of Rush, although I appreciate their work and like some songs.

(Sorry, couldn't resist as it's actually the truth. I must say I've come to enjoy Rush more and more as the years go by.)

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 08:30
I give the edge to Rush.

-------------

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 09:08
Jethro Tull: unfair contest in every department (vocals, drums, lyrics, composition, guitar, bass - the list goes on) - plus Tull were huge before Rush even got going.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 09:28
Oh the mediocrity... Sleepy

Went with Rush for their MTV era.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 09:33
While I like both bands, I voted Tull without hesitation. 

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 09:42
I love Rush, especially their 70's and mid 80's material but JT are much more precious for me. During the years my interest in Rush somehow vanished; I couldn't say the same for Tull. So my vote goes to Jethro Tull.

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 09:43
Toule

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 09:45
Tull by a country mile...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 10:47
Both great bands and very difficult to compare.

But there's 0% feeling and %0 emotion in Rush so I go for Tull.
They are both great but Tull at least has romanticism and dreamy passages. And I'm a sucker for flute.

Posted By: Gully Foyle
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 10:48
Barlow>Peart

There, i said it, and await the rain of hellfire!

Rush has several songs that are among the best ever written, but Tull has many, many more

That being said, i think Tull's low point are lower than Rush's low points

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 11:34
Rush easily, and I do like Jethro Tull. Rush is simply leagues above every other prog band other than Gentle Giant. Tongue

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 12:14
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Simply not true. Yes, Rush's music has been described as a bit emotionless but they do have a few songs that buck that trend.

Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 12:41
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Simply not true. Yes, Rush's music has been described as a bit emotionless but they do have a few songs that buck that trend.

Maybe one or two or three songs: Nobodody's Hero, Available Lught Nd Losing It. But Tull has heaps and heaps of emotional songs. But that's maybe just a way of experiencing the music.

Nothing vwrong with Pearts lyrics but Geddy just doesnt touch my soul the way Ian does.

Also I like Alex' guitarsound only in the 80s and 90s. And I adore Martins guitarwork on every single record.

Also I love Barriemore's drumming way more than Neil's.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:03

But there's 0% feeling and %0 emotion in Rush

Oh? Wink

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:06

Maybe one or two or three songs: Nobodody's Hero, Available Lught Nd Losing It.
Many more than that. Wink

Also I love Barriemore's drumming way more than Neil's.

Barrie's great. You know he drummed on Yngwie's first album, right? That's quite a switch. LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:14
Tull, in a heartbeat.  I like Rush as well, but it is just not the same.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:25
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Rush easily, and I do like Jethro Tull. Rush is simply leagues above every other prog band other than Gentle Giant. Tongue

I am not so sure about that. I am a big Rush fan, but in terms of prog rock Yes in their prime surpasses them by a fair margin. Close to the Edge buries any Rush album. 

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:42
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I give the edge to Rush.
I give the rush to Edge (the bum's rush, that is).

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:44
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Especially since he's carving up a hillside in Malibu because he decided it would be the perfect setting for his abode. LOL

-------------

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:58
In my own humble opinion...
Rush is GREAT, but Jethro Tull is one of the GREATS.

So Jethro Tull all the way. :)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:01
Easy poll.

tull

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 15:11
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Especially since he's carving up a hillside in Malibu because he decided it would be the perfect setting for his abode. LOL
U2 has that effect on nature. The Joshua Tree photographed for that album died.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 15:23
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Jethro Tull: unfair contest in every department (vocals, drums, lyrics, composition, guitar, bass - the list goes on) - plus Tull were huge before Rush even got going.

Instrumentally, Rush win hands down on Guitar, Bass and Drums. They are acknowledged virtuosos.

Tull produced 5 excellent albums (Aqualung, TAAB, Minstrel In The Gallery, Heavy Horses and Songs From the Wood). Rush had Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, 2112, and heir second string albums are better. And they didn't make A Passion Play.

So Rush. Just.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 15:47
I like both but I chose Rush. 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 15:48
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

While I like both bands, I voted Tull without hesitation. 

Thumbs Up

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 15:49
I voted Tull but Rush had better mustaches.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 15:55
Jethro Tull.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 16:15
RUSH is my choice, Although I also love Jethro Tull !

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 16:50
Thick as a brick

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 16:51
Yeaaahhh, gotta go with JT.   Love me some Rush but as mentioned, it ain't the same.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 19:44
Jethro Tull

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 14 2017 at 21:10
I go with Jethro Tull.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 01:26
Jethro TullWink

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 03:47
I like Tull but love Rush so no contest really.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 04:45
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

In my own humble opinion...
Rush is GREAT, but Jethro Tull is one of the GREATS.

So Jethro Tull all the way. :)

Just curious. What makes Tull one of the "greats" but Rush does not fit into that category?

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 05:26
Essentially Rush (and Kansas etc.) is just a hardrock band.
They had some great influences of new wave in the 80's which made them sometimes more pop-rockish. And then they had grunge influences which made them hardrock again.
But they had no weird instrumentation or songstructures. Very difficult basslines and intricate drumpatterns doesn't put them in the same league as Jethro Tull.

I think Rush is great though. Up there with Van Halen and Triumph and the likes of them.
Sometimes a bit like Saga or The Fixx, wich I love.
Sometimes a bit too Led Zeppelin, which I do not particularly like.

But Tull is more than just hardrock; they are medieval, folkish, rock'n'roll, romantic, borderline heavy metal, acoustic, electric, symphonic, pastoral, etc. etc.

The only thing that Rush did, what Tull didn't do, was reggae.

Also Rush sold 40+ million albums and Tull sold 60+ million albums.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 05:58
Not to say that Rush is not great, but they never measured to what Tull did. Both great bands, but Tull was miles ahead of Rush, and their legacy is much more interesting.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 07:02
Can't vote - I like them equally. Depends on the mood for the day.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 07:42
They're both excellent but Tull has more great records. 

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 08:14
Tull because of Stand Up and A Passion Play. Rush has a couple of cool albums but nothing that rivals the aforementioned albums.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Eradicus
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 09:15
Thick as a Brick (Parts I & II)

Prog-folk heaven, a devilishly brilliant record. Nigh on unsurpassable as far as prog goes in my book. Even if he was sending up the entire genre! 

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 09:25
absolutely love both

I could easily vote either way
based on the last one I listened to

voted Rush because they were way behind in the poll

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 10:00
Rush did some great albums between 1976 and 1984 ( 2112 to Signals) but I must confess that Tull are one of those bands that when I came to check out their studio albums I found I liked their material less than I anticipated I would. 
Heavy Horses and Crest of a Knave are great albums and they did some great singles, eg Withces Promis, but most of the albums I couldn't get on with.

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 10:31

Essentially Rush (and Kansas etc.) is just a hardrock band.

Again, I must disagree! Kansas is not "just a hard rock" band. Kansas is progressive rock to the bone. Just like Yes, Genesis and (of course) Pink Floyd, Tull streamlined their sound and recorded much fare that could be regarded as straight-up rock.

But they had no weird instrumentation or songstructures. Very difficult basslines and intricate drumpatterns doesn't put them in the same league as Jethro Tull.

Structures? "The Camera Eye" certainly sticks out against the rest of the songs on Moving Pictures. Also, Rush had a huge hit ("Tom Sawyer") that combined 4/4 with 7/8. Years later, when everything on the radio was in 4/4 (hair metal was on the way out, grunge on the way in), "Superconductor" and its 7/4 time sig got some rotation.

I don't compare bands like Rush and Tull because they're so different, there really is no point. One band is an entire generation older than the other, and obviously had very different ideas about creating music. It's like comparing King Crimson and Crash Test Dummies.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 10:55
^^^ I agree. Incomparable bands. One can personaly prefer one over the other but comparing styles and chops doesn't really work.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 11:54
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ I agree. Incomparable bands. One can personaly prefer one over the other but comparing styles and chops doesn't really work.

I agree as well. I tend to twitch a little when someone declares one band to be clearly better in every way. Bullsh*t. Rush will likely always be my all time favorite band but I'd be a fool to say they do everything better than Tull.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:17

The Pass is miles more emotional on its own than Tull's entire catalogue!

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:49

I agree as well. I tend to twitch a little when someone declares one band to be clearly better in every way. Bullsh*t. Rush will likely always be my all time favorite band but I'd be a fool to say they do everything better than Tull.

Exactly. Tull clearly do flutes and codpieces far better than Rush.

Apples and oranges.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 15 2017 at 19:14
Tull. I never cared for Rush after they went disco.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: February 16 2017 at 04:53

Exactly. Tull clearly do flutes and codpieces far better than Rush.

Apples and oranges.

Now were getting somewhere

Date Posted: February 16 2017 at 05:13
I like Rush. No question about it. But in the same way I like Saga or Triumph.

Hardrock with melodic tendencies. great soloiing, great drumming.

But the way I love Tull is the same way I love Mike Oldfield, Camel, Jaded Warrior, Return to Forever etc. It's symphonic rock with a pastoral feel, jazzy bits, folky bits.
Geddy Lee screams like Robert Plant and the riffs and pounding drums is fist-in-the-air-headbang rock/metal (just like Kansas, Boston and Journey etc.). For me it has 0% feel, romanticism, emotion etc. It's all brawn, hardrock. Good hardrock but still hardrock to me. Nothing wrong with that, but when I want to really 'feel' the music, Rush is the last band I'd listen to.

Although when I want to play difficult drumpatterns I'd put Rush on the headphones. Great stuff to exercise drumpatterns and rudiments.

Tull makes me really feel. When I walk through nature or ride my bike in the sun, Tull (and Camel and BJH and Oldfield etc. etc.) really makes me enjoy nature more. It has a pastoral feel.

Date Posted: February 16 2017 at 09:39
I understand what you're trying to say, Kingsnake, but why imply Kansas is in the same boat? "Journey from Mariabronn," "Miracles Out of Nowhere," "Song for America," etc. is full-on prog. Walsh was an incredible vocalist in his prime. Those songs are much more "prog" than those long Asia tracks you posted in the other forum (and I do like those songs).

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 16 2017 at 11:49
Tull's Greatest Hits are great, but otherwise I'm not really much into them.  They really don't have any albums that I find great from start to finish.  Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play are OK, but really don't do much for me.  Rush, on the other hand, are my favorite band, and I love pretty much everything that they do.  Jethro Tull does have a better Flute player though.  :)

-------------

Date Posted: February 17 2017 at 04:21
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I understand what you're trying to say, Kingsnake, but why imply Kansas is in the same boat? "Journey from Mariabronn," "Miracles Out of Nowhere," "Song for America," etc. is full-on prog. Walsh was an incredible vocalist in his prime. Those songs are much more "prog" than those long Asia tracks you posted in the other forum (and I do like those songs).

I really like Kansas, but also Triumph, Journey and other bands that balance between full blown hardrock and progressive rock.
I think of Kansas as a band that uses hardrock as a basis to be progressive. That's why they sound fiercer than most progbands that try to be hardrock (Camel, Yes, BJH, Moody Blues) etc.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: February 18 2017 at 16:06
Easily Tull for me, although I do like Rush quite a bit.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 10:49
Mario Pelchat

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 18:42
Weird to me that JT would be winning. Why don't you guys like Rush? Wth. 

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 18:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Perhaps the people who voted for Tull find it equally weird that you would ask the question. LOL

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 19:22
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Perhaps the people who voted for Tull find it equally weird that you would ask the question. LOL

Yeah, but "their" band is winning. Wink

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 16:28
Rusg

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 06:54
Rush - they have more albums I like than Jethro Tull. When I'm in the mood for JT, I listen to certain albums. With Rush it's not the case. 

Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 08:00
Too different, but Rush doesn't really 'move' me, but I love the eighties new-wave-rock they did.
But in the seventies they haven't released anything that I prefer.

Rush is great though. And in any other poll they would have gotten my vote, maybe.

But Tull it is. Not in a fanboy-kind of way, but just, because they have so much to offer.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 10:36
Both great, but Tull to me.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 10:46
What Mortte said. Both bands are great, but I prefer Tull.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 16:46
I love Rush, but Tull wins that one by a long shot, in my book.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 19:24
It's a tough one for me - overall, I think Rush was more consistently good, whereas Jethro Tull has some higher peaks but some lower valleys as well.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk