Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110368
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 03:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jethro Tull or Yes
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Jethro Tull or Yes
Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 18:47
Seeing how JT pretty much stomped on Rush in the other poll I'm wondering how JT would do against Yes. This should be interesting. Please only vote if you know of at least a few albums by each band and feel you can make a sound decision. Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 21:19
Jethro Tull. I love Yes very much though, and they probably would get my vote against anyone, except King Crimson and Jethro Tull.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 21:45
Yes is my second favourite band, so I go with them.

Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 22:16
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Behind????

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 03:01
Easily Tull.

-------------

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 03:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Behind????

PF I guess.

Voted Yes as well.

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 04:17
Equally.

My top 11 would be Camel, IQ, Big Big Train, Gentle Giant, Genesis, Marillion, Rush, Floyd, Haken, Mostly Autumn, Riverside, with both these bands next.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 06:41
Yes by a mile.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 06:51
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Yes by a mile.

a lightyear LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 08:03
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Yes by a mile.

a lightyear LOL

Yes indeed.Wink

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 08:13
Yes by far.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 08:23
I like both but not equally! I love J.T more and I vote to J.T. 

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 08:58
YES !!! 

Posted By: BunBun
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 09:18
Gotta go with Yes

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 10:27
Jethro Tull.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 13:02
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Yes by a mile.

a lightyear LOL

Yes indeed.Wink

how is this even a choice anyone has to think about

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 13:10
Tull.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 14:31
Yes, by a kilometre.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 16:25
YES , but Jethro Tull is also great !

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 16:45
When one or the other appears in a poll I vote for that one as often as not.  When individual songs are offered, I can usually vote for one as opposed to the other.  But when they are offered as the two options, I can only take the middle way and say I like them equally despite they being very different bands with very different sounds. Ying Yang

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 20:23
Tull. I can only stand the sterility of Yes for just so long. In the war, medics used Yes albums as an antiseptic.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 21:21
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Behind????

PF I guess.

Voted Yes as well.

Is my taste so boringly obvious? I hope the next 3 of my to 5 aren't as easy to guess.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 26 2017 at 23:34
Yes is my favorite band, so...

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 01:14

Behind????

PF I guess.

Voted Yes as well.

Is my taste so boringly obvious? I hope the next 3 of my to 5 aren't as easy to guess.

No, not boringly... But I can at least give it a try:
3. Rick Wakeman
4. Mike Oldfield
5. Genesis

Actually I'm pretty unsure about those Wink

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 01:40
Yes.

-------------

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 06:10
No doubt for me,  voted JethroTull

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 06:25
A draw for me. Both are deservedly counted among prog's greatest, both produced some truly great music, both wouldn't quite make the list of my personal favourites (I guess I'd rank both somewhere around 20; they're great but don't speak to me in the same personal way as some others do), both have put together a considerable amount of material that doesn't interest me in the least.

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 06:33
As this is a PA poll, then it has to be Yes, no question (although personally I have seen Tull more than I have Yes!)  Tull are not a 'primary' prog band, despite their greatness.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 07:50
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Tull. I can only stand the sterility of Yes for just so long. In the war, medics used Yes albums as an antiseptic.

Fragile and CTTE are sterile but moving---the rest of Yes up until 79 is very powerful moving spine chilling music so I don't get the sterile antiseptic thing---but we are all moved by music differently.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 10:29
JT

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 10:34
love both in their prime just about equally

like newer Tull more

voted for Tull

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 12:28
I like how someone wasted their vote with the blank spot I left accidentally and was not able to delete. :P 

Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 12:29
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

As this is a PA poll, then it has to be Yes, no question (although personally I have seen Tull more than I have Yes!)  Tull are not a 'primary' prog band, despite their greatness.

True, in much the same way the Moody Blues and Supertramp aren't. They had a few prog or proggy albums but they were more diverse. I suppose you could say the same about Rush but they carried on a prog sound a bit longer imo. 

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 12:36
Jethro TullWink

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 14:15
You cannot be serious here....
Yes by a mile.
(And I adore Jethro Tull but no one beats the mighty Yes...)

Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 19:21
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

You cannot be serious here....
Yes by a mile.
(And I adore Jethro Tull but no one beats the mighty Yes...)

I would have to agree with that. I've seen Yes more than any other band. No one even comes close actually. 

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 19:26
If Tull released all of their non album tracks on albums back in the 70s then they would be winning. 

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: February 27 2017 at 20:14

Behind????

PF I guess.

Voted Yes as well.

No, not boringly... But I can at least give it a try:
3. Rick Wakeman
4. Mike Oldfield
5. Genesis

Actually I'm pretty unsure about those Wink

Have you by chance been paying attention to the top bands threads around or something? Yes, both Rick Wakeman and Mike Oldfield are among my top 5, only the other one is Dream Theater. I do love Genesis, of course, and maybe it would make it to the top 10, but I find it difficult to really choose the next bands. Perhaps you could help me complete it more acuratley than myself

Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 02:26
That went better than I thought it would LOL

-------------

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 06:07

Fragile and CTTE are sterile but moving---the rest of Yes up until 79 is very powerful moving spine chilling music so I don't get the sterile antiseptic thing---but we are all moved by music differently.

I totally don't get the "Yes is sterile" thing but I also don't get how I live in a country where 62 million people voted for Donald Trump so I'm just gonna shrug and say whatever.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 28 2017 at 14:49
Voted both equally.....but to be honest I own more Tull and play it more often.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: March 01 2017 at 02:59
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I totally don't get the "Yes is sterile" thing but I also don't get how I live in a country where 62 million people voted for Donald Trump so I'm just gonna shrug and say whatever.

I tried and tried to like Yes but I don't get them either.

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: March 01 2017 at 03:47
I like Fragile and I like Drama and some eighties stuff from Yes.
And I like the song Soon. And that's mostly it.

Tull, I like everything. It has emotion, power, substance and they tried all kinds of musical styles. Yes is just hippie-rock to me.

Date Posted: March 01 2017 at 09:58
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It sounds like you should have voted for JT then. Listen, I love Yes and like them quite a bit more than JT but I am not emotionally attached to the outcome. People should just be honest here. I guess voting for "both equally" is better than voting for a band who you really don't prefer. Some people just don't like Yes or get Yes and that's cool. Does anyone here not like Pink Floyd? With Yes I can understand people not liking the vocals or maybe even the lyrics or complexity of the music. I'm wondering what criticisms people have of PF though since most people seem to like them. 

Date Posted: March 01 2017 at 21:40
From PF, I guess many proggers could say they are too simple, too boring, not enough ideas, they play just one note for I don't know how long, they are not really prog... whatever. Not me, but some proggers. They are actually my favourite band, but I've read this sort of stuff before.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: March 01 2017 at 21:44

I'm wondering what criticisms people have of PF though since most people seem to like them. 

Pink Floyd did a very good job of making themselves likeable. Their music generally isn't complex and they have well-written lyrics about socially relevant themes, so it's easy to see why they're quite popular. There are some potential Pink Floyd criticisms, though:
  • Music is too slow, mellow, lacking energy, etc.
  • Singers have generally nondescript voices
  • Their stuff can get homogeneous and lacking variety, especially on Dark Side and Wish You Were Here
  • Roger Waters-dominated material can come across as being too angsty 
  • If you're into heavier, faster, and/or more complex music, they simply haven't written much (if any)
I don't necessarily agree with all of these, but they are possible issues that people could have with them.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: March 02 2017 at 02:52
Tull had more variety than Yes. They even went pop in the mid 70s but they still had lots of gun tracks in that period which were released 15-40 years later.

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 02 2017 at 08:09
In the past I probably would have said Yes by a hair but now Tull easily

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 02 2017 at 09:03
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I'm wondering what criticisms people have of PF though since most people seem to like them. 

Pink Floyd did a very good job of making themselves likeable. Their music generally isn't complex and they have well-written lyrics about socially relevant themes, so it's easy to see why they're quite popular. There are some potential Pink Floyd criticisms, though:
  • Their stuff can get homogeneous and lacking variety, especially on Dark Side and Wish You Were Here
  • If you're into heavier, faster, and/or more complex music, they simply haven't written much (if any)
I don't necessarily agree with all of these, but they are possible issues that people could have with them.

I don't dislike Floyd but I just think they are ok, and your descriptions, particularly 1 and 4, resonate.  In general, my brother summed it up pretty well when we were comparing the "vibe" of certain bands.  He said "No good can come from listening to Floyd".  It was stated tongue in cheek, but the essence is that their mood and subjects can be perceived as extremely negative and cynical.  I'm someone who likes the dark in music to be balanced with some light.  Pink Floyd gives me barely any light.  

Date Posted: March 02 2017 at 21:15
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Roger Waters for nondescript voice? I would agree with Wright or Gilmour, but Waters singing is very characteristic of him, and not easily imitated, for good or bad.

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 12:37
Jethro Tull is my favourite band, so I voted for them.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 11:51

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It sounds like you should have voted for JT then. Listen, I love Yes and like them quite a bit more than JT but I am not emotionally attached to the outcome. People should just be honest here. I guess voting for "both equally" is better than voting for a band who you really don't prefer. Some people just don't like Yes or get Yes and that's cool. Does anyone here not like Pink Floyd? With Yes I can understand people not liking the vocals or maybe even the lyrics or complexity of the music. I'm wondering what criticisms people have of PF though since most people seem to like them. 

Though I tend to play Tull more I honestly can say I like them both....I simply have more Tull albums because imho Yes peaked over a shorter period than Tull did and Tull put out more lp's in their so called classic period.
I go back to the beginning with both bands since I bought their first lps when they originally came out.
If some one said you could only keep one Tull or one Yes album I would have trouble deciding what to do.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: MLewis
Date Posted: March 16 2017 at 20:22
Jethro Tull

Posted By: Tullabye
Date Posted: March 17 2017 at 00:19
Why can't I vote? Tull needs my vote!

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: March 17 2017 at 00:38
^ A Forum Newbie cannot vote ... you need at least 40 points via posting or getting "Thanks". Wink

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 02:13
Yes

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 02:25
Jethro!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com