Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110461
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 09:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Music as Art
Posted By: TaipeiMoon
Subject: Music as Art
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 16:24
I would like to ask your opinion and views about "Music as art." This may be focused in areas of progressive rock, which I love, but also general and overarching views would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies:
Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 18:13
Not sure what you want--  music is art; that is, a man-made creation developed or derived from the audible vibrations caused by striking natural objects in a certain way.

If you mean you want opinions on Art-rock and by extension progressive rock, I think the existence of this place is a good indication that peoples loves them some fancy-ass rock 'n roll, Lucien.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 19:27
I prefer art as music. I don't wanna see that bitch Mona Lisa. I only wanna sing her accompanied by accordian solos

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 19:39
In every culture there is science and there is art. Music, as an expression, voice of the people, is and art that expresses feelings, longings, frustrations, etc, of the people who create it, according to the era/place they live. 

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 20:07
Is this a trick question? Embarrassed

Nobody in their right mind would ask if music is art, that's a prerequisite. Music and art are also not indicators of quality, just to get that out of the way

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 20:19
Only art music is art, otherwise it would just be called music and popular music wouldn't even be music.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 20:47
Urinating with precision and elegance HAS to be the highest expression of artistic value i have EVER come accross. Especially when it's on the neighbor's mail

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 21:04
Zappa once said something to the effect that art is anything you can put a frame around, not simply a literal frame, but anything that sets the boundaries that define it. A theatrical performance, for instance, has a time when it begins and point at which it ends. Artists are sometimes conventional in their use of frames, and sometimes more innovative. Some frames may be practical and trivial, or sometimes the same frame may be regarded as more meaningful. Jazz artists traditionally looked at album recordings as simply as a secondary momento of a live event, which was the primary artistic representation. Rock artists, especially Prog musicians, regarded the recorded album as their primary artistic representation.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 06:31
"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it"  ...yet another pearl of Zappa wisdom

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 07:38
Well, Carl Palmer literally makes art with his music.
But as stated, making anything out of nothing is a good description of art. That includes cooking by the way !

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Replayer
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 10:42
Originally posted by TaipeiMoon TaipeiMoon wrote:

I would like to ask your opinion and views about "Music as art."
Allow me to impart a few words of wisdom.

Let M be the set of all music.
Let A be the set of all art.

We have the following relationship: M A, which means M is a subset of A.
In other words, for every element e in set M, e is also an element of A.
This is expressed in set notation as:

eM, eA

This can also be written as an implication

eM eA

That is, if e is an element of M, then e is an element of A.

However, the converse of this statement is not true. The converse is

eA eM

That is, if e is an element of A, then e is an element of M.

This can easily be disproven by contradiction, since we can find elements of the set A, such as a painting, sculpture, or poem that is an element of A, but not of M. This means that the statement A M is not true.

Thus, although every element of M is also an element of A, not every element of A is also an element of M.

This means M is not equal to A and that M is a proper subset of A, which is expressed as

MA

This is the relationship between music and art. I hope this addresses your concern.

Also, using the same type of argument, it can be shown that PM , where P is the set of progressive music. This in turn implies that PA.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 11:02
The OP has created a classic Adams-esque inquiry.

The answer is 42. But what, exactly, is the question? 

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:36
Howard Johnson: Y'know, Nietzsche says: "Out of music comes art."
Olson Johnson: Oh, blow it out your ... , Howard.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:42
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Since we're discussing the artistic value of music, where did you get the animated gif in your signature?

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:44
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it"  ...yet another pearl of Zappa wisdom
This from a guy that thought that fart noises were music. Wink

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:49
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

In every culture there is science and there is art. Music, as an expression, voice of the people, is and art that expresses feelings, longings, frustrations, etc, of the people who create it, according to the era/place they live. 

you win the thread with that post... nice! Clap

music can be art... but it is more than that. It is about expression... be it with deep meaning like the downfall of society or something more mundane like how that red head rocked your world last night.  Most people, myself included really aren't into the music as art kind of thing, where music strikes us is emotionally.. not intellectually.  Prog when best hits the heart and soul.. and when at its worse... forgets the heart and soul and aims only for the brain. f**k that sh*t... feeding the brain is for book. Real writers.. not some dumb ass muso posing as an intellectual

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 18:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

you win the thread with that post... nice! Clap

music can be art... but it is more than that. It is about expression... be it with deep meaning like the downfall of society or something more mundane like how that red head rocked your world last night.  Most people, myself included really aren't into the music as art kind of thing, where music strikes us is emotionally.. not intellectually.  Prog when best hits the heart and soul.. and when at its worse... forgets the heart and soul and aims only for the brain. f**k that sh*t... feeding the brain is for book. Real writers.. not some dumb ass muso posing as an intellectual
It sounds like you don't like Gentle Giant anymore.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 18:44
For me, music as art has as it's ultimate expression in The Symphony. And in that world, the symphonies of Mahler and Bruckner especially. That's my slant on it , anyway.....

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 07:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I wouldn't have thought of art in general as intellectual (and not emotional) in the first place.
There are overintellectual paintings, literature etc. as well, and also there I need some connection to heart & soul.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 10:50
I find it difficult to say that something is "art", and that something else is not. 

In general, for me, all EXPRESSION is a form of art or another. My main concern, is that rock music, because of commerciality, has to have LYRICS to tell you what it is about, and sometimes this is not a good idea. There are times, when the visual/sonic representation of it all is more important, and speaks a lot more, than any words that you could possibly put to it, but it is an "art form" to place the right words, in some music, and it becomes something that we all relate to and have appreciated for hundreds of years.

There is, a HUGE PROBLEM, here. And that is that a piece's fame, is usually tied to the memory of a moment, and people start identifying that piece of music or artistic work as representative of a particular event ... and this is one of the worst parts of the definitions of "progressive music" that must have keyboards as an example, and it takes away far more progressive and original other styles of music, that do not have keyboards and don't need it, since something else ... is of a much greater value and importance in its livelihood.

Things like "Reynardine" as done by Fairport Convention (Liege and Lief album), are very much "art" in that it's quality of the words, are so strong by the singing, as it is by the guitar representation ... and it's only both Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny ... no keyboards, bass or drums, and thus ... will never be considered "progressive" and neither will it be appreciated for such an amazing original content ... that most folks can't even listen to it ... or like RW would say ... one note played too long ... like it means nothing, Rick? 

In general, there is a feeling there, or it would not be there! And that is something that has a tendency to "define" art, and its ability to be appreciated and remembered.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 11:40
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Since we're discussing the artistic value of music, where did you get the animated gif in your signature?

That's me !...

Ok, maybe not. Not sure who giffed this one. There are many variations if you Google apache.gif. Feel free to cut and paste the image link from mine.
Here is its parent video. I can usually keep a straight face until the part where hi-hat sound is apparently coming from a floor tom. True art has know tangible connection to reality, right?

*drumroll*

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 14:16

A disco cover of The Shadows' Apache featuring sexism/objectification, disrespect to American Indian culture and genuinely awful fashion sense?!

Wow, that was truly horrendous. Excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor.

I might have to revise my earlier proof of music being a proper subset of art by explicitly excluding kitsch.

As Thatfabulousalien said (I felt silly typing that), "music and art are also not indicators of quality, just to get that out of the way"

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 18:26
^Being absolutely amazing at being bad is also a thing. 

Also, I just learnt from you that this is a cover. Did not know that.

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 19:24
^^^  I can't get past the fact that he appears to be dry-humping his keyboard.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 20:27
"Art as Art" that should be a thread now, lol

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 21:45
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

"Art as Art" that should be a thread now, lol

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110485&PID=5439412&#5439412" rel="nofollow - Happy to oblige!

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 23:19
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^^^  I can't get past the fact that he appears to be dry-humping his keyboard.

No worse than what the drummer appears to be doing.Dead

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 23:53
...and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, the Sugar Hill Gang came along and sampled the Seebach cover to make Jump On It!

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 00:26
Sorry, I just can't accept music as art, it doesn't express anything

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 01:31
pft! We can't even agree on what music is, let alone decide whether it is art or not.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 01:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

pft! We can't even agree on what music is, let alone decide whether it is art or not.

Please refer to my previous comments, I think it was obvious I was trolling, lol

-------------

Posted By: Tillerman88
Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 02:13
Music as art?....Art as music??...  come on..............
Music did begin as a ritualistic form of expression, then evolved into an artistic form of expression. Nuff said. 
That said, I really couldn't care less whether my statement is correct or not, after all I know just one thing about art: it's NOT about correctness. Better saying , art has NOTHING to do with correctness.

-------------
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 05:43
These days music is just background noise in video games/movies/tv shows.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 15 2017 at 16:53
When I first got into prog rock, art rock was synonymous...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: March 15 2017 at 17:07
^ In the US yeah, but I think in Europe, Artrock was more specific to VU, Bowie, and though some don't like the idea, Pink Floyd.

-------------

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: March 16 2017 at 02:28
Scott Walker (circa 1984 - present) has been put forward on a number of occasions to be included into PA but has been omitted (for want of a better word) because his music has been dubbed "Art Rock" not Prog. So therefore, some Music must be Art? Mustn't it?

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: March 16 2017 at 04:02
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

These days music is just background noise in video games/movies/tv shows.

Finally someone hits the nail on the head. Art is something that is done on a computer. Paintbrush? What's that?

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 16 2017 at 04:45
Did you ever have a day when musical art sounds like wall papar? Wacko

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: March 16 2017 at 05:07
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ In the US yeah, but I think in Europe, Artrock was more specific to VU, Bowie, and though some don't like the idea, Pink Floyd.

In the UK at least, during the 60s and 70s Art Rock had an Art College connotation rather than a more high-brow Art Music one. I have read somewhere that Pete Townshend was one of the first to make the association between Pop music and Art (remembering that prior to dropping out and forming The Who he studied Graphics at Ealing Art College alongside Ronnie Wood and Freddy Mercury), essentially putting the Art into Pop (as opposed to Warhol putting the Pop into Art). Though of course Townshend was not the first Art student to form a band and The Who weren't the only band in the mid-60s to be regarded as Art Rock. Pete Brown and Piblokto!'s album 'Things May Come and Things May Go but the Art School Dance Goes on Forever' is a classic example of that Art School/College heritage. From that perspective Floyd can also be regarded as Art College drop-outs (specifically Camberwell College of Arts and Regent Street Polytechnic), though Bowie is more guilt-through-association as he never attended Art School as such (he has 'O' Level Art, which was the secondary school basic qualification that 16-year old's attained in the UK). John Lennon is yet another Art School drop-out (from Liverpool College of Art). This "music made by Art students" was seen as something a little more educated (for want of a better word) than, as Micky would put it, the 'blue-collar' image normally associated with Pop music at the time. That social class distinction of Pop Music being uneducated working class and Classical Music (i.e. Art Music) being University-educated Upper Class is still prevalent over here today to some extent, with these (predominately) middle-class, Art School educated, Art Rock musicians caught in that 'neither one nor t'other' limbo between them, (which is where, as we know, Prog Rock developed from).

The idea that Art Rock was a loftier ambition that purported to elevate music out of the musicologist "Pop Music" classification and into the " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music" rel="nofollow - Art Music" classification that is generally associated with Classical Music, is a later association in the UK, and one I suspect is an import from the USA where Prog Rock and Art Rock were indeed synonymous. As they switched their allegiance to the Punk Rock upstarts in the latter quarter of the 1970s, that British rock journalists regarded Prog Rock as 'pretentious' can be seen as part of that class divide that was then present in Pop Music rather than a dismissal of the notion that Pop Music can be Art (Music). {Muso-Journalists later disdain of Prog Rock was never about the music - it was a faux class-war}.

-------------
What?

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 19 2017 at 15:17
Hi,

Nicely written, Dean.

It's hard to discuss this in America, because things here are way too commercial, and the music scene has been so since Woodstock, when a few folks realized ... half a million sales? And there is the famous story of the follow up, for the greed and what not. Check the Tom Dowd story in his early days, for more on this!

In Wisconsin (Madison, specifically) we went to see Steve Miller, Ben Vereen, Otis Redding (sadly never arrived as the plane fell into the semi frozen lake), Jimi, Janis, Doors, Chicago, not because they were "art", but because they spoke for us a lot more than the bubble gum rendition of the AM radio band that ran the gamut ... FM, did not really start kicking here until probably 1968 and 1969, when all of these folk's music kinda disappeared from the AM band, and turned up in the FM band, along with a lot of new things few people knew and got happy and attached to.

This has been my experience.

I ONLY reflect some of the works as art, when the ambition, is much further away from us in terms of the literary/art/music history ... a work that sticks to your mind and will not go away. For me, for example, Passion Play, TFTO, TlLDOB, Tommy, and many other things, are ambitious works that in many ways went beyond the idea of just a pop song, even if some parts or pieces became so famous, as was the case with Tommy.

By the end of the 60's (in America!), I really thought, and still do, that rock music (includes folk and jazz -- kinda meaning stuff done by our generation) was becoming a lot more inventive and creative than the majority of classical music, which ended up re-starting the "hero" and "fame" routine for many of its most well known musicians (not that some were not already well known before ... just like movie stars!), and totally forgot the music itself ... even Leonard Bernstein (earlier) had gone "rock" (so to speak) with West Side Story, which had very little to show for "classical" and a lot to do with "movie musical" and a lot more inventive in the emotional side of things, which was one of the major ideas in rock music, not necessarily pop music. The NY dance and theater scene was incredible and had a lot of well developed things as well, even if defining these as art, would have a lot of people going ... you're kidding me ... and force an evaluation of what art really is, as is the case with Andy Warhol! Turn on the camera and watch two people sleep! Paris and London were no different.

The perfect image for me on this, is Jethro Tull's cover for "Passion Play" ... it felt to me like classical works were over and it was time for something else ... and it was OUR GENERATION that stood up and pretty much blasted the rest of the music waves ... to our great appreciation.

My definition of art, is spotty, and like everyone else's can be easily dismantled ... with only one difference ... for me "art" is not about my preferences! And I think this is an important point to be made about it all. I was not a great fan of Miles Davis, but 50 years later, I can see almost the same rebelliousness that Pablo Picasso had ... I do what I want kind of thing ... and some of it is transcendental for many of us, even if we sometimes think that this kind of reactionary work does not necessarily fit to be described as "art".

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 20 2017 at 11:51
As I said, we can't even agree on what music is, let alone decide whether it is art or not, and the same is true of every art-form. If we impose boundaries on what we regard art to be then those boundaries are defined by our prejudices not our preferences, so commenting on what is and is not art speaks more about our prejudices (and, it has to be said, our education) than it does about the art we are purporting to comment upon. Once we start discussing the worth and value of art as being two sides of two different coins then all subjective judgements we make become trivial and without merit - what separates art from craft is not commercialism but merely perception of value over worth - and we reflect this in the language we use when discussing art and this especially true in music where all recorded works are set with same stickered ticket-price regardless of their actual value to us, and that's the difference between being priceless and worthless.

Smile

-------------
What?

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 22 2017 at 02:41
Punk regarded prog as pretentious.

What a nerve. With prog you got great ideas, brilliant musicianship and a way of elevating rock and pop into a sophisticated level rivaling classical music so much John Williams responded with his band Sky. Boundaries were blurred and glories achieved. It's not for nothing that the 1970s are tinged with this "golden era" ideal.

Punk had basic rock and roll (only often way more horrendous) before that turned into new wave and new art rock. You can't stop intent to express no matter how much you try Johnny. I really didn't like punk trying to make the dunce of the class into king of the world. All they did was create pop and social cultural fear, truly back in the USSR. Open minds versus knuckle heads any day.

Having said that there is much laughter to be had from the more fanatical and narrow minded in the extreme noise maker categories. Which is not all punks. I remember turning up at a punk thrash years ago. They wondered what someone like me (long haired type) was doing there (curiosity) and were actually very nice. Set me an example as I am not being a pretentious prog snob. ;)

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 30 2017 at 07:46
Music is art. It has nothing to do with the origin of the band, the number of albums sold or the genre. If humanity ends and some aliens come down to earth and find a Britney Spears record inside a vault, they will listen to it and decide that's art right away.
Of course, Prog rock used to sell like crazy in the 70's. It was pretty mainstream and some bands jumped right into it...and then they went pop in the 80's. So, back in the 70s prog wasn't art because it was mainstream? Hell no.
If more people can live their lives by making music, the better for us music fans =)

Even countries like North Korea where there's almost no music (since normal folks have no instruments and no means of listening to it; music is just burgoise leisure, and trade is forbidden) have kids who play the guitar as instructed by the authority and only in official celebrations. Even that manufactured thing born out of fear is art, art inside a country were music wouldn't exist otherwise.

So yeah. Music is an art form, always.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Swandezvous
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 13:56
Art is a word, and a word drives it's value from what it communicates. Music communicates, and fulfills the same property as a word. All of them require context, and that is an ancient tradition.

Posted By: Roman3560
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 01:22
Hello guys, just want to share with you my new project where I'm mostly streaming Blues Rock songs. I will be happy if any of you find it interesting. 
Here is the link on TuneIn: tunein. com/radio/Mens-Music-s277846/
Thank You! And sorry if it looks like spam, but it's not, just want to create some value here.

Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 01:28
ART AS MUSIC

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk