Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110476
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 03:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2017 NFL Thread
Posted By: JJLehto
Subject: 2017 NFL Thread
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 07:56
Congrats to the 2016 NE Patriots. SB champs, and they are now officially the greatest dynasty in the history of the NFL. Regardless of feelings, the 5th SB for Brady is something else, as is what Bill has done there since 2001.

2017 is now here, kicking off with some move making.

My Giants have landed Brandon Marshall, which will make quite an unholy trinity with OBJ and Shepard. This is assuming the O line allows Eli enough time to even get the ball out AND the team doesn't explode from the amount of egoLOL Can't knock the move though. I'm cautiously excited.

Helping us, Washington is apparently so awful they can't hold together anymore. Cousins wants out, and supposedly San Francisco is in his eyes. Pierre Garcon is already there, and Desean Jackson is slated to sign with Tampa Bay. The loss of their 2 WRs would be great but if Cousins leaves, toooo good!

Dwayne Allen to the Pats...honestly that just seems unfair to the rest of usLOL

I'm all for getting rid of Jay Cutler, but Mike Glennon for a $43 million deal? Yikes

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 14:27
Free agency is always fun!

I'm liking the Marshall pickup (especially after reading reports that they were interested in T Pryor). Excellent chain mover/red znoe threat, and the giants definitely needed both of those things.  

Another fun note with Washington...their GM hasn't been involved in any process thus far. Wasn't at the combine, not in the building for free agency...truly this is remarkable IMO and wonderful that the incredibly dysfunctional Redskins continue to spiral.

The Tony Romo sweepstakes is mildly interesting to watch...first set for release, now the boys seem to be trying to trade him again. Seems to be a two horse race with Houston and Denver at this point.

And lol Chicago. But I suppose if you want mildly acceptable QB play you gotta pay...hell look what the Texans paid Brock Lobster last year...and that was leagues away from mildly acceptable QB play.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 14:59
For slightly odder giants news...

Apparently they have signed fullback Rhett Ellison for a 4 yr $18million deal! This is...something?

-------------

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 15:09
Adrian, washed up or not?

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 16:22
^Yes.  Easily.  

And Brock gets traded to the Browns, only for them to be thinking about cutting him.  Hmmm.

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 16:26
^ If they do cut him this will be my favorite offseason story forever.

-------------

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 17:10
^ Yes, that would awesome.  Love the Brock Lobster nickname...LOL
It sounds like the Browns are at least thinking smartly about the O line, they beefed it up a bit it seems.

Adrian?  Not washed, but nowhere near where he used to be.  In a good fit somewhere he could still be useful.

The G-men are looking on paper like they could do some damage with addition of Marshall.

As for my Steelers, not much so far in free agency, but they did fork out a ton of dough for Antonio Brown (hopefully his primadonna stuff does not get in the way) and they franchised Bell which I thought was good move.  Just need to shore up the D now somehow....

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 17:41
Pitt always seems to have a primadonna receiver around. Mike Wallace and some I forgot there names Plaaxico is an easy one to forget.

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 10:41
I think if you could get AP on a short, fairly cheap deal it's worth the risk. If he demands top tier money, I wouldn't take the chance.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 10:41
And to no one surprise, The Redskin's GM is officially relieved of his duties.

What wonderful dysfunction.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 18:42
The Saints just basically handed the Patriots Brandon Cooks.  Stupid stupid stupid.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 20:38
^ well they did get a 1st round draft pick in return. But this does seem an odd move for them. Apparently Cooks was unhappy in NO so I guess they figured might as well get something for him.

The Pats also got K Ealy (and a third round pick) from the Panthers for a second rounder. Looks like they are going for the jugular to maximize the end of Brady's window.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 21:51
^I thought they could've gotten Malcom Butler for Cooks, too.  And why trade to NE at all?  You know that only helps NE.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 22:01
^ That seemed to be the rumor, but I guess NE didn't want to give him up.

I assume NE was willing to give up the first rounder, whereas other potential targets (which seemed to be Philly & Tennessee) didn't want to part with it.

But your point is valid. NE always seems to gets stronger while the rest of the AFC (and perhaps NFL) flounder or plummet.

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 12:02
Seahawks get Eddie lacy......maybe a good thing, can he catch passes out of the backfield?

Date Posted: March 27 2017 at 00:05
Baltimore Ravens lineman John Urschel who taught math while playing football his Sr year at Penn State, is currently getting his PhD in Mathematics from MITShocked
This tops Arian Foster, (who is a f**kin badass btw) in terms of NFL players who not just have working brains, but really use em. Even better he's from my Alma Mater, balances me out in terms of sh*t alumni have doneLOL

Lots of exciting offseason news. The Giants pick up of Fluker is exciting. I have no idea how good he is, I wanna say at least solid, but with the O line long an issue, and now Eli's age, I hope they go pedal to the medal O line now. This WR trio can be unholy, enough to make up for the drop in defense we'll likely see but I hope still will be very good. Still smarts that imo a SB caliber defense was wasted on that crud offense
but new year an Im (VERY) cautiously optimistic. 

Date Posted: March 27 2017 at 14:17
The Raiders have been given the green light to move to Las Vegas.

Blargh.

-------------

Date Posted: March 27 2017 at 16:23
Not a fan of the Raiders, but as fan of the NFL, today is a sad day.  That fan base deserves better than that.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: March 28 2017 at 13:25
Agreed. The only silver lining here is that the raider's stadium situation was sh*t. I am glad that got fixed, but that's about the only good thing to come out of this.

Of course, they will still be in the coliseum for at least two years, so this will be one awkward divorce.  

-------------

Date Posted: March 28 2017 at 14:38
Probably with this news Marshawn Lynch will stay retired

Date Posted: April 21 2017 at 12:57
I remember the good ol days when the giants didn't start off every season playing the cowboys in week 1.

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2017 at 22:49
Well, can't be too thrilled the gmen took a QB (from a spread offense) in round 3. Was going pretty well too until that point........

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2017 at 19:06
As usual, the Steelers take a linebacker in the 1rst round, seems to be all they do in that round.  Interesting pickup in the late rounds, the QB from Tennessee, don't know much about him....report seems to be good backup qualities for big Ben I guess.

What in the world is Chicago doing?  Desperation move for a floundering front office.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2017 at 21:15
I know nothing of these players, so I go solely based off position.
Not terribly thrilled, on paper, with this draft. ONE O lineman? Yikes
A TE in the first round? Certainly surprising. My gut reaction was not great BUT seems he was a pretty good player, and is a receiver type TE. This is quite a shocker, the Giants always use big ol blocking TEs and force em to be so even if they aren't (Shockey) however....tradition means nothing :) Given we have Brandon Marshall now, Shep, ODB a big play TE could really make this offense something else.

Love the D tackle 2nd round.

After that.....eh. Guess we shall see but pretty much 3rd round down I am not really impressed.

Date Posted: September 06 2017 at 16:07
Well, the season officially kicks off tomorrow. My predictions below:

AFC:
Patriots
Steelers
Raiders
Texans
Chargers
Ravens

In the hunt: uhh...I guess the Chiefs and maybe the Bangles. Can I only pick five teams to make the playoffs?

NFC:
Seahawks
Packers
Falcons
Cowboys
Buccaneers
Cardinals 

In the hunt: Giants, Saints, Vikings 

-------------

Posted By: Chula Vista
Date Posted: September 08 2017 at 11:44
Well, that sucked. Defense kept missing assignments and The Chiefs exploited it every time. Most points and yards allowed at home in the Belichick era.

The offense sputtered badly too. Stopped on two 4th and less than a yard? Fortunately they have 9 days to study tape and hopefully play a lot better next week against The Saints in NO.

On the plus side, we all know what happened the last time the Chiefs blew out the Pats.

-------------
I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 08 2017 at 13:13
Pats were ugly last nice, defense & O line needs work skill players need to get rid of the rust, when was the last time the Pats gave up 3 TD's in the fourth having led? First time in 82 games since leading at the half.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: September 10 2017 at 20:05
Very happy about the NE loss, very unhappy about the Giants thus far. 
This was my fear: That our weapon laden offense would be useless because the line wont hold up, and sure enough that's been the case. These tackles are pathetic. I know Hart is still new, but Flowers just doesnt have it, and frankly Hart probably doesn't either. 
Add injury to insult: Beckham being out is the death blow. The offense is already 70% worse whenever he's not out there, but with no protection....

Shame since, as always, defense is playing damn well but this obviously can't hold up. 

Date Posted: September 10 2017 at 21:47
Bit of a slow start for NFL week one. No real great games/performances and some teams were pretty damn dreadful.

Agrred completely with JJ above. The Gmen need to do everything and anything they can to address the oline situation.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2017 at 06:52
Sort of dull first week, Steelers did not look good early against the Browns who look to be improved and played with some spunk and nearly pulled it out.  Their rookie QB "could" be one they can win with, although just one game against a Steeler defense that did not look cohesive...

The Gmen game was hard to watch, O line is killing them.

Sort of humorous for the almighty NFL, the Rams and 49er stands were basically empty.

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 13:00
Well, we shall see how tonight goes. Detroit doesn't have a pass rush that instills any concern in me so I hope our line will hold up, but then again Dallas doesn't have a pass rush that concerned me either :( 
Both team's run game will be pathetic I imagine so this may be an offensive battle.....more like can the Lions move it against the Giants Defense and can the Giants move it, at all

Speaking of lines, wow Denver's D can sell that magic they found for millions...how you hold Elliot to 8 yards on 9 carries is insane. What a beatdown for Dallas. Most of the games seemed fairly uninspiring

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 22:45
Our D line might be for real.  FIVE sacks on the night.  And special teams played great, too, so Stafford and the offense didn't really need to do much more than they already did.  Awesome road win, but next week is a huge test, and one I'm not confident at all about: Falcons.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 23:10
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Our D line might be for real.  FIVE sacks on the night.  And special teams played great, too, so Stafford and the offense didn't really need to do much more than they already did.  Awesome road win, but next week is a huge test, and one I'm not confident at all about: Falcons.

if only you could play against E Flowers every week ;)

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 23:11
Not to burst your bubble but don't get toooooo excited yet, our O line sucksLOL And I'm not trying to put ya down, you see how often I gripe about it here, and it showed yet again. Especially Erick Flowers, he is a dumpster fire. Things actually held up better after they moved our guard to right tackle, which says something. 
What I dont get is, we got DJ Fluker from San Diego...unless he's hurt (which he's not far as I can tell) why not try him? Can it be any worse? 

Sad thing is, when Eli did have time he proved still capable of making good throws, I even saw glimpses of that old zip. But this was quite rare. 
Besides the O line, Brandon Marshall is sh*tting the bed, the return coverage team allowed a TD at the absolutely most critical time...Really it feels like Eli is captain of a sinking ship, he has Odell to help dump water out but yikes, this offense is sad. 
Add to it some questionable play calling: Critical 4th down, dont even pass it beyond the 1st down line? And way too many behind the line passes for my taste. 

Defense was a bit inconsistent but overall I can't gripe. Lots of tight coverages and good pressure, though Detroit did seem to neutralize it down the road. Congrats to Detroit, they didn't slip and Stafford has developed into a legit top tier QB. 

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 08:32
I fell asleep right after the kickoff, but it sounds like it was a snoozefest of a game.  I'm not sure that Stafford throwing for 122 yards qualifies as "legit top-tier QB" material, but I guess he was efficient with what he did do.  :)  Pleasantly surprised to see Ameer Abdullah rushed for 86 yards.  I don't think that we've had a Lion running back rush for that many yards in a season in a long time, let alone 1 game. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 11:07
Nah I'd say he is. I mean can't base off one game lol do remember New York has a pretty good defense, especially in the secondary. There was a lot of tight coverage, so kudos for an efficient game. 
Overall I am impressed, for a while wasn't sure if Stafford had "it" but he's developed into a very good QB. Also what you missed by missing the game was the moves Stafford made with his legs. Never struck me a scrambler, maybe he isn't I dont know, but he moved around behind the line well and took off several times. Was Aaron Rodgers-esque. 
Once Detroit did slow down JPP and Vernon, Staff was pretty much lights out. 

Date Posted: September 24 2017 at 09:51
WOW. Poor people of England...it always seems they get a cruddy game and this is no exception, Jacksonville currently up 37-0 on Baltimore. Bortles with 4 TDs, while Flacco is currently 8 of 18 for 28 yards and 2 picks. And it's not even the 4th qtr yet, yikes.....
EDIT: oh my god just gave up a 59 yard play on a fake punt AND were penalized after. Holy sh*t LOL

Granted I fear what my Giants will look like today. Dallas and Detroit don't exactly have fearsome defenses and we see what they did, Ziggy Ansah was a force of nature, so Philly with their many high quality pass rushers...we may end up losing 40-0 ourselves. 

Date Posted: September 24 2017 at 11:29
Hey whadya know? The Giants suddenly realized one way to negate a bad line/fierce pass rush is to move the ball quickly and efficiently. Look at the zip on these passes and how quick they are moving. Where was this weeks 1 & 2? I mean I don't super love it but gotta do what works. 

Oh hey, and on 3rd and inches they opt for a pitch several yards behind the line, killing all momentum. Oh McAdoo what are we gunna do with you?

Date Posted: September 24 2017 at 17:50
Yeah...some bad decisions there by the giants, especially going for it in field goal range on 4th down. Did the giants deserve to win? Ehh, probably not (not that the eagles were gold) but they could have had this one. Always a couple losses like this for the giants in the season, harder after completely sucking the big one in the first two weeks.

And what a lionsy way to lose for the lions.

But a great week of football thus far with two games to go.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2017 at 18:07
Oh, Lions... Cry

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 24 2017 at 20:25
Sigh.....well Giants had a legit chance to win, guess this is progress? 
Not even being snarky, this is an actual improvement. Given I feared this game would be like 40-3 I guess I should be happy. 

But I'm not. The Giants found something that works but McAdoo blew it with some questionable decisions, and the penalties! Ugh....especially that John Jerry penalty that negated a big pass when Eli caught em with 12 on the field. Sheesh. It's infuriating because they totally negated the Eagle's ferocious pass rush, Eli was barely pressured at all and because of it he looked great. Even got the offense woken up, that was classic Odell, and Shepard showed his abilities. Eli made crisp, zippy accurate throws and looked confident. 
All I know is 74% complete, 366 yards, 3 TDs and one of those picks was off a batted ball (the other btw Marshall seemed to have no idea the ball was even coming) so McAdoo can't throw Manning under the bus for this one. 

Saw the second half of the Packers game. Good stuff. Rodgers is a true master of the game, and I can't believe until this he's never won an OT game! 
Denver loses to Buffalo, Pitt to Chicago, and Miami to the Jets...ouch! 
Didn't catch the Detroit game but says a go ahead TD was called back? Damn. Detroit does seem to have a curse with TDs being not counted. 

Though on that note...sincere question: What the hell is a catch anymore? In the Giants game Shepard had a TD taken away, he had possession, didn't bobble it once, seemed smooth and both feet down. 
Later Odell was bobbling a catch, last moment got it pinned on his shoulder, it's a catch. 
I mean I was glad but, what?? I thought the new rules were supposed to remove inconsistency and make it clearer? Honestly I'm mad about it, that was a catch but that's the rule I guess. If it can be explained why it wasn't I'm all ears. 

Anywho, Pats hold off Houston, Seattle loses to Tennessee and KC tops the Chargers. The last team with a tough defense, pound the run game it seems...which may be why I have a soft spot for em. And my boy Alex Smith doing his thing. His thing may be consistently average but he's mastered itLOL

Date Posted: September 24 2017 at 23:30
The problem with Rodgers in OT is the packers never seem to the win the coin flip...especially in high profile playoff games. Now sure, sometimes he has a possession and still lost, but still...

As for the catch...seems to be the ol calvin Johnson rule. The receiver has to keep possession of the ball all the way to the ground/through the process of the catch. It was clear that when SS fell to the ground the ball popped out immediately. I think (even from my biased viewpoint) that most people would agree that it should be a catch, but by rule, it was sadly the correct call. Odell kept the ball in his hands as he was falling down and it never budged upon him hitting the ground.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2017 at 01:35
I figured that had to be the case. I was like no way he personally has been unable to win in 7 games...

Yeah that's the thing though "all the way to the ground" but he seemed to have it all the way through to me. It used to be if its in (and ya got it w/ 2 feet) that's that. Someone did say to me well he didn't maintain all the way through and it popped out as you say but then...what about OBJ's? lol it seemed way less stable. I guess the rules and my eyes just dont sync up...SS's seemed to  be a clear catch and ironically that crazy one from OBJ seemed like the questionable one! 

Also yikes, what a spanking Washington put on Oakland. 

Date Posted: September 25 2017 at 17:15
It should be a catch, but given the rule as is, I think it was the correct call (at least consistent with how they have been calling it in the past). for OBJ, he didn't bobble it at all on the way to ground. Sure, the werid thrust it against his helmet/shoulder pad was unusual, but it did appear clear in (slow-mo) replay that he had possession and never lost it after getting the feets in.

And yheah....Oakland bombed that bad. East coast fatigue? Didn't take the opponent serious enough? Idk...but wasn't what I wanted to see (for reality or my fantasy team :p) 

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2017 at 21:17
Larry Fitzgerald is a beast!! Epic catch, and 120+ yard night. Dude may be old but he's still the man. One has to wonder how much better still his career would be if he didn't have those few years of horrid QB's
Speaking of old...I know Carson Palmer doesn't get much respect but honestly, I still like him. He seems to have never gotten the respect he deserved even in the day when he was basically right behind Peyton and Brady, he still puts up good numbers and watching him, still got the arm, deep throws, mobility. 

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: September 26 2017 at 12:22
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Sigh.....well Giants had a legit chance to win, guess this is progress? 
Not even being snarky, this is an actual improvement. Given I feared this game would be like 40-3 I guess I should be happy. 

But I'm not. The Giants found something that works but McAdoo blew it with some questionable decisions, and the penalties! Ugh....especially that John Jerry penalty that negated a big pass when Eli caught em with 12 on the field. Sheesh. It's infuriating because they totally negated the Eagle's ferocious pass rush, Eli was barely pressured at all and because of it he looked great. Even got the offense woken up, that was classic Odell, and Shepard showed his abilities. Eli made crisp, zippy accurate throws and looked confident. 
All I know is 74% complete, 366 yards, 3 TDs and one of those picks was off a batted ball (the other btw Marshall seemed to have no idea the ball was even coming) so McAdoo can't throw Manning under the bus for this one. 

Eagles CBs suck to begin with but we were also playing with our 4th string safety, no Cox, and no Hicks for the only part of the game you could move the ball. CBs were giving Eli the quick slants because Schwartz was protecting them from getting roasted deep. It's just not a thing that the Giants are going to replicate all week, and I don't think the 4th quarter happens as it does without the injuries. I'm not sure how much progress was actually made by the Giants. I just don't understand how the team has neglected OL for so long. Even when you draft a TE that would usually help matters you chose to take a guy who is just a WR. Dunno what the Gaints outlook is going forward.

Awesome to watch your cbs play though. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:19
Well I've been griping about the O line since 2011, and since then why the hell Reese doesn't address it, so preaching to the choir there. 
In some fairness, moves don't always work out. Will Beatty was top 10 caliber when healthy, but that was an every other year occurrence. Pugh and Richburg have turned out superbly. There's always been hope of it all being put together, but it happens in pieces. Like get a good one, but then Snee is old and declining. Get another, but Beatty is hurt. Get another but then this one is gone. Just never put it together 
Still unacceptable though. There are so many good FAs out there, no excuse to not get at least one tackle, and no excuse for not drafting more

Yeah the Eagles gave a ton of space, more or less let us have a game like that, but still....you don't need talent to really do that. The Pats have perfected a quick, efficient strike offense and often they run slot WRs and no names from other teams, so really I dont see why we cant do the same. In fact this game right here, they went 4 wide no TE, quick pass to Shepard who takes off. It aint that hard? 

Speaking of Giants.....is Brandon Marshall allergic to catching? I'll grant he's still learning the offense and the Eli-WR connection is famously slow building and difficult, but how many catchable balls has he dropped? Thought he was the guaranteed 100 catch a year guy
Is McAdoo allergic to kicking field goals? Game could be tied right now.... 

Ah well, for ultimate proof Eli needs to do everything, just ran for a TD LOL

Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:38
Pats go down to Carolina, Cowboys go down to LA, Atlanta to Buffalo and the Jets win. Good weekend so far. Deshaun Watson with the 5 TD game and why do people think ever year Aaron Rodgers is done?

Woo Giants defense with the red zone stop. Honestly been pretty poor thus far but clutch there. I gotta give Eli credit, they've actually let Eli hang in the pocket as it collapses and he's held up pretty well. 
Nick Folk is currently the Giants MVP. His 2 missed FGs and missed XP are probably the most critical thing for us thus farCry

Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 17:16
Sigh....there it is. The guy who missed 3 kicks for the game winner, of course. 
Typical Giants fashion, he almost missed it too. 
Cant even be mad, whadya expect when things are this painful to see?

Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 18:10
Lions won a big road divisional match in Minnesota today.  Ugly on offense (again), but huge on defense (again) and even had some close calls go our way, I guess to make up for last week. LOL

-------------

ht

Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 19:21
Well Steelers finally got their head out of their arse and won a game in Baltimore. Bell's hold out got him off to a slow start...

Random thoughts.....Pats D is awful, are the Rams for real?, Hawks offense is bad, will Luck ever play this year?, Cowboys come back to earth, Romo not bad in the TV booth, Same ol Browns........

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 20:10
The Seahawks are pissing me off.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: October 02 2017 at 23:51
Yeah Baltimore is a total dumpster fire this year, yikes. 

Well it's only a quarter in the season and we can bet Bill will find some way to work his magic...but right now the Pats have the worst defense in the NFL. Shocking, especially after making the rare big $ FA pick up! They aren't just bad but on pace to be historically bad. OK I am not sure I expect this to continue, I recall other years we all thought "Oh this looks bad on D" and Bill manages to drag em to at least solid, then ya know onto the SB, but its the worst start he's had in his career to deal with. Supposedly their O line has struggled a bit as well, least for their standards (I cant say Ive seen any games so just going off commentary).

Since I am a resident downplayer of Brady (I just think he's great and not the GOAT, I know such a hater) I kind of want to see a full season where he has a fairly poor defense, and gets pressured somewhat regularly. I'd like to see him do what many other have to do, carry a not so good team and handle pressure. That seems to me the only real knock on him, he does not handle pressure well perhaps due to rarely ever seeing it, so be the GOAT, I wanna see a poor Pats team and what Brady can do. He finally shut me up a bit with his SB performance last year, so cmon Tom shut me up for good. 
I realize the flaw in this is he probably will f**king win the SB and then I really have to eat my words!

Speaking of proving oneself, my boy Alex Smith lead the Chiefs on a game winning drive, capped with a 37 yard pass. Yikes, he needs to watch all these deep passes this year, he aint used to this...arm may fall off! 
But yeah, KC with a damn good defense, run game...but can Smith lead em? Thus far he seems to be more than his usual conservative game manager. He's on pace to post some career numbers. As the resident defender of Alex Smith LOL show me what you can really do. 

Rams may be for real, again defense, epic run game...QB? 
Confused about the Seahawks comments, maybe not their prime but offense doesn't seem sooo bad?
It does seem like Luck's career is gunna be ended by his constant injuries which would be a tragedy 

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 12:31

Well I've been griping about the O line since 2011, and since then why the hell Reese doesn't address it, so preaching to the choir there. 
In some fairness, moves don't always work out. Will Beatty was top 10 caliber when healthy, but that was an every other year occurrence. Pugh and Richburg have turned out superbly. There's always been hope of it all being put together, but it happens in pieces. Like get a good one, but then Snee is old and declining. Get another, but Beatty is hurt. Get another but then this one is gone. Just never put it together 
Still unacceptable though. There are so many good FAs out there, no excuse to not get at least one tackle, and no excuse for not drafting more

Yeah the Eagles gave a ton of space, more or less let us have a game like that, but still....you don't need talent to really do that. The Pats have perfected a quick, efficient strike offense and often they run slot WRs and no names from other teams, so really I dont see why we cant do the same. In fact this game right here, they went 4 wide no TE, quick pass to Shepard who takes off. It aint that hard? 

Speaking of Giants.....is Brandon Marshall allergic to catching? I'll grant he's still learning the offense and the Eli-WR connection is famously slow building and difficult, but how many catchable balls has he dropped? Thought he was the guaranteed 100 catch a year guy

You still need talent to run a quick strike offense. Teams with CBs will start to press at the line. My point was the Eagles weren't even attempting to stop the Giants from running those plays in the meaty part of the field. Other teams won't play the Giants like that. 

I don't know about Marshall man. Thought he was money too. Just looks like he might be done honestly. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 12:57
Interesting start to the season. No real dominant teams IMO. Even the Cheifs have issues for me, although they clearly are in the drivers seat right now (especially in the AFC). Will be fun to watch is certain fast starts (ie RAms and Bills) will continue or nosedive.

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Well Steelers finally got their head out of their arse and won a game in Baltimore. Bell's hold out got him off to a slow start...

Random thoughts.....Pats D is awful, are the Rams for real?, Hawks offense is bad, will Luck ever play this year?, Cowboys come back to earth, Romo not bad in the TV booth, Same ol Browns........

My fantasy team thanks Bell  for being up to speed finally. :p

The Pats D is certainly bad. No pressure and no coverage, usually a bad mix. I have faith BB will pull through to at least make decent defense by years end...I still wouldn't pick against them to win the east. 

The rams look fun. Goff is still technically in his first year so I'm not going to get too excited yet, but they are certainly the biggest turnaround team thus far. 

Like the Pats, I have faith that the Hawks will turn it around. Backfield injuries may make this harder however...

As for luck, I certainly wouldn't play him until his 100%, but I suspect it will come down to how open winning the south is. If in several weeks he is ready but *insert team here* is well ahead, I suspect they may take the cautious route. Not sure if any team in the south is capable of this however, even if Houston is looking pretty good right now.

I am surprised at the sound of Romo's voice. I got used to it being much more whiney and screeching. ;) 

Lol browns.

-------------

Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 14:32
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

You still need talent to run a quick strike offense. Teams with CBs will start to press at the line. My point was the Eagles weren't even attempting to stop the Giants from running those plays in the meaty part of the field. Other teams won't play the Giants like that. 

I don't know about Marshall man. Thought he was money too. Just looks like he might be done honestly. 

Well turns out we may have some possible hope. DJ Fluker started the Tampa game and the line did look a lot better. I mean it may be TB doesn't have a fierce pass rush but with Fluker replacing John Jerry and Pugh replacing Hart at RT...those are 2 upgrades. Not that it's a great fix but least it's something. 
I think the bigger problem is you need great rhythm and timing and practice for that style, so NY probably can't just switch to that and IDK if it's Eli or the offense he was used to for 10 years but he is not a rhythm timing guy...used to bug me to no end how rarely he hits WRs in stride, it's always drop back, wait for route to develop, pass to spot. Then he shows off that wild gunslinger style which either works like art, or a car crash. Though progress happened under McAdoo. We shall see, maybe we can hobble together a moderately better O line. 

This was a concern of mine with Marshall yeah. I hoped it was just a product of a sh*tty Jets team but seems he may be done. Sure wish we just got a lineman instead! 

Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 13:01
The battle of the winless! I was gunna say I guess the good news is someone has to finally get a win but I guess it could end in a tie ha
Anyway, this has looked like a game between 0-4 teams Yikes

Edit: Ah ok the Giants apparently lost Marshall and Shepard, then Harris, so now has just two receivers...
Although Eli had a random great passing drive so go figure. 
Still though, what a painful game, defense can't tackle for their life, getting decent pressure but then lets em convert a 3rd & 15. Chargers look terrible too. Just ouch

Well, those 2 receivers have just both produced pretty big TDs but these penalties...I can only conclude neither team wants to win. They both want the worst record to try and get the #1 pick ha

Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 16:04
Yikes...the season was already over but if Beckham is hurt long run, f**k we might as well just resign the remainder of 2017!
Let's just line up with 3 TEs, a FB, run 50 times a game and try to make it to year's end without anyone else getting hurt. Get a sweet draft pick and take a lineman. Actually I am dead serious, if Reese doesn't pick up at least 2 good lineman next year in FA he should be fired. 

Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 17:42
Time to pump the brakes on the Lions by the media.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 23:42
Wow what a win from KC. I really like how they're playing my boy Alex Smith is actually having a pretty solid year. Add another 300+ yds and 3 TDs. If this keeps up it's gunna be by far a career year. OK, I'm making it official, my backup for this year are the Chiefs. 
Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching the Giants every weekend and pulling for them to get their 3 or 4 wins but in terms of hopeLOL I'll be for KC for the remainder of this season. 

What Mills? One close loss to a 4-1 team and suddenly everyone is jamming the breaks? I'd say seems a bit presumptuous but I know I know there's the constant depression and waiting for let down that comes with Detroit. Least they're not 0-5! 

Looks like Rodgers pulled out yet another win in thrilling fashion. Glad to see Dallas lose (by this point its all I have) and really, I am more and more convinced Rodgers is the QB of our generation. Nothing against Brady and Peyton but in terms of pure skill, this guy is tops. 

Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 00:20
At this point I just want the giants to avoid going 0-16. Sneak out a win and then tank the season. I've never seen the top 4 receivers get hurt in a game before (and three with left ankle injuries). Hope that Shepard and Marshall can return soon, but they looked pretty grave out there.

-------------

Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 08:04
No doubt the injuries were crushing, and on the other side I believe Vernon has been playing injured which may be why his production is down, and I think some of the secondary have been on and off banged up? 
I'm kinda liking my rush 50 times a game try and avoid injuries for the rest of the year idea at this point! 

It's just shameful what's happened, and more I think about it there have been plenty of quality linemen to hit FA in recent years. Maybe not top tier but certainly better than this mess, and not getting mega contracts. Off the top of my head, Donald Penn or Richie Incognito 

Ha I have thought about that, there's always the 49ers they could maybe be a win, the Raiders maybe?

Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 20:10

No doubt the injuries were crushing, and on the other side I believe Vernon has been playing injured which may be why his production is down, and I think some of the secondary have been on and off banged up? 
I'm kinda liking my rush 50 times a game try and avoid injuries for the rest of the year idea at this point! 

It's just shameful what's happened, and more I think about it there have been plenty of quality linemen to hit FA in recent years. Maybe not top tier but certainly better than this mess, and not getting mega contracts. Off the top of my head, Donald Penn or Richie Incognito 

Ha I have thought about that, there's always the 49ers they could maybe be a win, the Raiders maybe?

Yeah...I believe Vernon was a scratch with his own ankle injury for the san diego game, so he's definitely been banged up. Jenkins has been out (and DRC was hobbled during the game as well)...but Apple seems to be the biggest problem in the secondary, and he's been healthy.

Agreed. The other thing I have noticed is a lack of speed on defesne, especially where linebackers are concerned...another position group that is a huge failing  for Reece.

49ers are definitely a possibility (and depending on when they play could be another 0fer bowl!), if Carr is back for the Raiders than I imagine no hope there. Gotta hope for general divisional wtfs I think to get a win (aside from the 49ers which is definitely their best shot).

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 15:30
Detroit trailed in that game late by 17 points and got two quick TDs to close it up.  Otherwise, we looked far from an elite NFC team.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 15:41
^ The defense certainly forgot Ed Dickson existed (which is fair, because I'm pretty sure 98% of football fans fall into that category). Lions definitely feel like they are in the good but not great category at this point in the season. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 16:37
I can't get a good read on the Lions yet, but they are at point where they can make a good run at the Packers...maybe.

Steelers just do not look right and Big Ben's head is not in the game....could be the beginning of the end, but it could be the point where kick it in gear and give it a a last go at it with this talent.  Who knows?

Sort of a toss up with tonights game with Eagles and Panthers, home team on Thursdays I guess...

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2017 at 15:44
^ I don't think so. But then I've always been of the type to think the Packers should (fairly) easily win the division with ARod slinging it around.  

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2017 at 16:30
The LB situation for the  Giants is weird. Last year,  I thought they were very good, this year they look awful. Same group (Kennard, Casillas, Goodson) so I'll just say the Giants are cursed to never have any side of the ball be good from one year to the next lol 

Though I do think losing Hankins hurt. I knew just a defensive tackle but he was very good, and quite a duo next to the man mountain Harrison. Gotta wonder if that has cost us some run stopping and pass rush. 
I did hear the niners released Bowman. He may not be in his prime BUT if the Giants wanna shore up their LB corps...

Lions are always tough to pin! It does seem despite my earlier comments their defense may be pretty legit. 
I dont think they are topping the Packers, even if thats just b/c Rodgers is actually a football machine. 

Yeah, I was all on the "lets how these Eagles really look once they play a team with  a record above .500" and they won. They got a defense, they have a QB that is just killing it. Seems off to say they are contenders but, they certainly have the pieces. 

Speaking of "are they really for real" the 3-2 Jets !?!?!? play the Patriots. I know they're having a down year with the defense and o line but this the Jets, NE will not want to lose. A real test for NY.

Speaking of NY I just saw the Niners play washington, Browns play Houston, Giants Denver....kinda am wondering if this weekend ends with NYG as the only winless team :(

Date Posted: October 13 2017 at 16:35
I have absolutely no concern about Big Ben. I love how he was having an above average year thus far, then one bad game and "Is it over??" been seeing it everywhere. I mean, it was a bad game yeah but, one game lol 
R-E-L-A-X
Just like how every season I see talks bubbling up "Is Rodgers on the decline??" then he does what he does ha

Date Posted: October 13 2017 at 17:35
would guess it was the great back end and very strong front four that made it easier on the LBs/made them look better. But I don't have stats or anything to back that up...just a gut feeling. And yeah...not sure how the rookie is doing (clearly badly but you know) but Hankins was the major change in the D this season...though the whole giants defense seems out of whack so... 

Eagles definitely have their flaws (secondary, second year quarterback, offensive cohesion [though that should get better as they play longer together]) but for the east I think they definitely the cream of the (floppy) crop. They looked pretty good yesterday. Wentz is looking for real at this point. 

I would think Houston will take the victory even with the depleted defense (the Browns and still lolzy and quite undermanned almost everywhere). Washington will probably be closer, but the Skins should win (especially if it's in WSH). I will be happy if the giants score points...anny points, especially before the fourth quarter.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2017 at 17:15
Wow this Chiefs game has been insane! How the hell it stayed only 12-3 despite how dominating Pitt was. KC defense has been awful but oddly clutch and Alex Smith really took this game on his shoulders. Game manager my foot he's been on fire late here

Date Posted: October 15 2017 at 17:18
If anything Smith is putting too much zip on it. That wide open pass he threw waaaaay too hard. Guy either has limp throws or too hard lol

Date Posted: October 15 2017 at 18:02
Another strange week in the NFL...

-------------

ht

Date Posted: October 15 2017 at 20:01
Wow....of course the game I don't watch the Giants are up 17-3

Date Posted: October 15 2017 at 20:05
Aaron Rodgers out for the season.  The door to the NFC North championship is now wide open for the hapless Lions.  Now the reliable Matt Stafford needs to show up and earn his biggest paycheck in the NFL.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2017 at 22:22
WOW....so apparently the Giants decided to show up. 0-5, down 2 receivers including your stud, down a corner and pass rusher, and now they look good? Against Denver?? I mean I'll take the win but WTF, why did you wake up now? 
I have to assume it's down to McAdoo giving up the play calling and the reshuffled O line. Fluker coming back has made a noticeable difference, and in conjunction with Pugh playing tackle. MAYBE we can hobble something together... Orleans Darkwa has been a good back for a while now, maybe he can finally be set free. 
Though all the "Odell is a diva distraction!" folk are gunna be utterly insufferable lol 

And the defense, 2 picks? 3 JPP sacks? 2 forced fumbles? Again, where were you before? 

Watch them suddenly get good, end up like 10-6 and fall just short of the playoffs...

Date Posted: October 15 2017 at 22:30
The loss of Rodgers hurts my soul. That really sucks. And yeah, one has to assume the Packers are toast. Certainly makes the playoff race more interesting. 
It should be the Lions' for the taking, but we shall see. 

New England really isn't looking super hot. Barely gets by the Jets aided by stupid ass rules. 

Oh! Forgot about the Adrian Peterson to Arizona move. If he can stay healthy, this is gunna be amazing. With Palmer and that passing game. Yikes. 

Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 08:40
What a strange day on the gridiron it was.  

I thought this was the type of game the Steelers would win and they seem to have the Chiefs number a little bit, although Steelers let them hang around and made it too interesting in the 4th.  They seem to play up or down to the competition.  Maybe they can just shut their mouth now and just play the game....

Congrats to the G-men for getting off the snide, maybe they can make it interesting if the rest of the division will have a little slump.  Also, the Chargers removed the goose egg also.

NFC North should be fun now with Rodgers out, hated to see that but thats part of the game.  Was that NO and Lions score a basketball game?

Pats defense allows another 300 yard passing attack, wow.  New QB, but Browns lay another turd...

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 16:36
Nah, the Lions showed me yesterday that they aren't ready to take that next step.  Still fairly mediocre.  So, with Rodgers exiting the season probably, I feel like the North will go to the Vikings.  They're playing good ball right now.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 21:40
Tonight further proved why Rodgers is the MVP, and it's not even close.  The Packers are so bad without him.  And as happy as I am to get the W, I can't get excited over beating a Rodger-less team.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 23:44
^ yeah, the commentators were definitely pushing the winning in GB line a bit too much given the condition of the pack at this time. 

A-Rod the 2010s Peyton...great QB on a team that is basically on his back for the entire season. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 14:48
Rodgers deserves better support.  I don't know his contract status, if he can he should go free agent.

Stafford should be able to win his first division title...maybe

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 16:21
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Stafford should be able to win his first division title...maybe

Nah, the Vikings have complete control over the division right now and they look really good.  It would take a win streak for the Lions and a couple of losses for them to catch up.  I can dream, I guess.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: November 08 2017 at 08:42
They say that the schedule really favors the Lions in the 2nd half beginning with a visit from the Cleveland Browns.  I think that coming into the season there was expectation that they could go 6-2 or 7-1 in the last 8 games and their season would depend on them not going 0-8 or 1-7 in the first 8 games.  I think that being 4-4 after the first 8 puts them in pretty decent position for the 2nd half, especially with Aaron Rodgers hanging out with the Elf on the Shelf. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2017 at 16:50
Yeah, unless injuries start piling up on that defense I don't see MIN losing control of that division. The lions will probably be in the playoff hunt, but I don't see them surpassing the cowboys, seahawks/rams, or panthers/saints for the wildcard spot. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 11:50
also, lol @ at the schedule makers...putting the dolphins in national primetime games for three weeks in a row!?! Wtf. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 20 2017 at 09:12
The NFC has some decent division races going on, the AFC has a little more separation in the divisions (more losing records).  

Giants over the Chiefs who better watch out for San Diego...oops, LA Chargers they are beginning to pick some steam.

If things hold as they are, Philly looks strong and should come down to them and either Vikings/Panthers/ or Saints, don't trust the Rams fully yet and Seahawks seemed too banged up to last.

AFC, most likely Steelers and Patriots.  Although Jags D is impressive and damn nemesis Ravens will not go away... 

Yet again the Browns look to get another first pick of the next draft.

-------------

Date Posted: November 28 2017 at 21:12
Well....Eli Manning has been benched, McAdoo opting instead for Geno Smith. Wow.

Was apparently told he can start the first half of games, so Geno can go in second half which would also keep his iron man streak alive. Eli declined, and I can't blame him. 
If this was a "keep him healthy the season is over anyway" move than OK I guess, well no I'd hate it but least OK.... clearly this is not the case, I fear this is the end of Eli in NY. Which if so, not only is it unfair and unnecessary but if it must happen what a sh*tty way to do it, let the guy finish the season. 

The pieces are there, I'd rather the Giants fix the boat instead of blowing it up to then build a new one, (aka rebuild for two years then spring the future QB out there into a good position) but guess it is what it is. 

Date Posted: November 29 2017 at 12:32
^ truly shameful. As I've said elsewhere, if he was benched for Webb, this would be slightly more palatable, but still...and awful, disrespectful, embarrassing act that seems to be spurred by all three levels of (Coach, GM, owner). 

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 16:09
Ugh, lost another major piece yesterday with Carson Wentz tearing his ACL.  Not to put the star players over the rest of the league, but this has to be the most brutal season in recent memory.  And how well will they play with Nick Foles?  At least he's solid with the team since he's been there for a while now.  Can't imagine they're Super Bowl contenders, though.  

And my Lions are barely hanging on... LOL

-------------

ht

Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 16:23
^ I certainly hurt more for my fantasy team (and Wentz as a person) than I do anyone in Philly! But yes...pretty brutal year as for as injuries are concerned. Good year to make it into the dance with all this indecision/weirdness this year. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 17:03
Won my survivor league this week with only 1 loss all season, the Pats choke versus the Dolphins.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 17:14
^ Oh yeah? well, I was eliminated week 1, so suck on those apples

-------------

Date Posted: December 24 2017 at 16:48
Alright, got an early Christmas present today with the Lions loss and elimination from the playoffs.  Now, I can't worry about them anymore, but something has to be done in the off-season.  They completely shut down when the season mattered the most.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: December 24 2017 at 17:23
Ugly ugly win for the Seahawks, we'll take it.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: December 25 2017 at 00:11
What do 2017 Rams, Eagles, and Vikings have in common?

Besides championing the 3 best records in the NFC, their 3 current starting Quarterbacks struggled mightily in Quarterback Killer............Jeff Fisher.

Date Posted: December 25 2017 at 07:13
They're in the playoffs.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: December 27 2017 at 08:46
Well the Stillers got a first round bye and most likely will not have much to play for Sunday (doubt the #1 seed will be available since the dreaded catch incident).  Now James Harrison was cut and has become a $@%% Patriot!  Don't fully understand the timing in this by the Steelers, you should know that Belicheat would pounce on it...

AFC wild cards still open, should make some of the remaining games meaningful.  Damned Ravens still very alive!  If Ravens and somehow the Chargers get in, both of those could make some noise in the playoffs.  Tennessee and Buffalo seem weaker to me.

NFC wild cards, only 1 spot open Falcons or Seahawks, both have struggled at times this year.

-------------

Date Posted: December 27 2017 at 10:33
I hope the bolts can make a push to get in, but who knows. They are good for sh*tting the bed at the wrong time. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 31 2017 at 18:38
The Bengals snatched the playoff hopes from Detroit last week and then Baltimore in the last minute this week. Crazy.

-------------

ht

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk