Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110492
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 18:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your favorite Yes vocalist
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Your favorite Yes vocalist
Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 22:38
Inspired by the Pink Floyd vocalist thread and poll I thought I would start one for Yes. Which vocalist do you prefer? Yes, I realize Steve Howe and Chris Squire did mostly backing vocals but I thought I would include them anyway.

Replies:
Posted By: Replayer
Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 23:10
I think your Pink Floyd poll was more inspired due to the fact that there were three very distinct main contenders to choose from. I don't include Rick Wright and Roy Harper in their number due to the fact that Wright sounds similar to Gilmour and Harper's vocal delivery was similar to Waters', as noted in the thread.

In this case, you've got three singers who sound close to Anderson (Horn, David, Davison), two of which were specifically chosen due to said similarity (David, Davison). As for Steve Howe, I think it says a lot that he stopped performing lead vocals on his solo albums after the first one. Not to mention the fact that Anderson sang lead vocals on all the band's best known, commercially successful and most highly rated material.

In short, I don't see the point of the poll, since Anderson is sure to win.

Which is why I am voting for Billy Sherwood. Tongue

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 05:09
Me, and I can't sing.

-------------
What?

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 05:57
Without Anderson in the list I'd choose Squire for his Fish Out Of Water. I really like his voice on Silently Falling 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 06:26
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

I think your Pink Floyd poll was more inspired due to the fact that there were three very distinct main contenders to choose from. I don't include Rick Wright and Roy Harper in their number due to the fact that Wright sounds similar to Gilmour and Harper's vocal delivery was similar to Waters', as noted in the thread.

In this case, you've got three singers who sound close to Anderson (Horn, David, Davison), two of which were specifically chosen due to said similarity (David, Davison). As for Steve Howe, I think it says a lot that he stopped performing lead vocals on his solo albums after the first one. Not to mention the fact that Anderson sang lead vocals on all the band's best known, commercially successful and most highly rated material.

Which is why I am voting for Billy Sherwood. Tongue

You would think that but so far it's a tie between those who have a vote.  I could agree with you but I  don't want to influence the poll. Smile

Also, I did not start the PF singers poll. That was someone else. Wink

I hope you are only voting for Billy because you truly think he was the best singer in the band. ;) Don't worry about the outcome it will take care of itself.

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 06:28
Lemmy, though his time with the band was quite brief.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 06:44
Jon Anderson.  I'm surprised that this is even a question.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 06:54
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Jon Anderson.  I'm surprised that this is even a question.

well this is ProgArchives man! Anything and everything is a potential question.  Besides it beats yet another TexasKing Rush thread...

Squire... to these ears was simply a better singer..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 08:39
April fools polls are on April 1 a few weeks away.LOL

Anderson has one of the most beautiful voices in music with an amazing range. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 09:15
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Lemmy, though his time with the band was quite brief.

Big smile

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 10:14
Anderson followed by Benoit and Horn.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 10:18
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Why would this not be considered a legitimate poll? They had more than one singer right? And since not everyone seems to like JA's voice I think it's a fair question/poll. 

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 11:36
It wouldn't be Anderson without Squire.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 17:06

^ This

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 20:10
This is one of those polls where you already know the outcome before it is made. It would have been more interesting just between the other 3 lead vocalists the band has had: Horn, David, and Davison. In that case I think I would go for Benoit David.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 20:56
Can't be anyone other than Anderson.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 21:06
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

I think your Pink Floyd poll was more inspired due to the fact that
there were three very distinct main contenders to choose from. I don't
include Rick Wright and Roy Harper in their number due to the fact that
Wright sounds similar to Gilmour and Harper's vocal delivery was similar
to Waters', as noted in the thread.

In this case, you've got
three singers who sound close to Anderson (Horn, David, Davison), two of
which were specifically chosen due to said similarity (David, Davison).
As for Steve Howe, I think it says a lot that he stopped performing
lead vocals on his solo albums after the first one. Not to mention the
fact that Anderson sang lead vocals on all the band's best known,
commercially successful and most highly rated material.

Which is why I am voting for Billy Sherwood.

Tongue

About the Floyd poll, I agree that Roy Harper is sort of the odd-man out. But not so much because of any similarity with Waters (which I actually don't really see... and I even think Waters would have trouble nailing the song as well as Harper did... but just because he was not a member of the band, just someone who happened to be recording in the same studio at the same time and was invited in. About Wright... he might be a bit similar to Gilmour (actually, I only realized it was him on Wearing the Inside Out because I read about it), but still he was a full member of the band who did his lead vocals, or shared lead vocals on several songs, so he should be considered... even if he sings very similar to Gilmour, still people should have a favourite (whom, clearly by the results of the poll, is Gilmour).

Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 21:25
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

^ This

I'm glad there's still people who love Anderson's singing. He's actually one of my very favourite ones, along with Francesco Di Giacomo and Annie Haslam (and stretching a bit more, I guess I can include Peter Hamill, Greg Lake, Dio, Freddy Mercury). There seem to be many people who dismiss him for his very high, and they would say, annoying vocals. But I love just the sheer beauty he can evoke, as well as high notes and work perfectly with those symphonic passages of the band. And there's just that tone, that something in his voice, that even if others can reach his notes and range, they just don't have it... I guess it's that special quality that has led people to describe his singing as the voice of an Angel... or for the detractors to describe him as an elf on helium. Yet, it seems he has to use his voice correctly, mostly as used on Yes, for on some of the latest releases I have heard him, on The Living Tree, and on Invention of Knowledge, his voice sort of tires me... and it's not just that he's older, that isn't so notable, but it's too many words with less variations... and perhaps the lack of adecuate backing vocals doesn't help either (Jon was at his best when he had Squire... and even Howe, I guess, to balance things up).

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 23:55
In truth, it's Anderson, but I gave the vote to Squire because I like his voice.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: March 12 2017 at 05:33
Come on, there is only one answer here. Although I must say I've recently gotten into Billy Sherwood's voice through his work with Circa.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 12 2017 at 13:37
Jon Anderson, no contest here.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: March 12 2017 at 23:05
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I sort of agree with this. Squire is a great backing singer, if not a lead singer and highly underrated. Naturally though, Anderson wins this poll (and any other poll for high octave range).

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 13 2017 at 01:12
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I sort of agree with this. Squire is a great backing singer, if not a lead singer and highly underrated. Naturally though, Anderson wins this poll (and any other poll for high octave range).

Hammill has a bigger range than Anderson.  Anderson's skills are quite hyped up on this forum (or most prog forums for that matter).

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: March 13 2017 at 01:45
no

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 13 2017 at 10:24
Yeah, I mean JA of course.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 03:44
Obviously the main guy. But I did think Benoit David added a new dimension to Yes, sort of like Trevor Horn but a bit better. Trevor Rabin made a fine second vocalist due to his tendency to sing rather than bellow (JA's usual backing crew). But none of them would be cutting it as main vocalist without having a pedigree). None of them could really do justice as the original singer, if they were, on the classic era Yes albums. I wonder if they would have been had someone else warbled on them...

Jon Davison is a good cover singer but after the last studio album... I hope never again... Just be a good tribute band.

Is ARW a tribute band? Maybe that could be another thread...

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 16:34
Yes without Jon Anderson is like a French meal without cheese Wink

Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 17:05
Still no votes for Trevor Rabin yet. ;)

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 17:49
Trevor Horn, I wish he was in the band longer.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 18:22
he was

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 21:14
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Yes without Jon Anderson is like a French meal without cheese Wink

I agree he is the most important singer but apparently not everyone sees it that way.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 02:14
Jon Anderson (he's magic).

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 02:27
Those other lead vocalists have been ok, but itīs Anderson.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk