Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 14:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: U2: Rock Gods or Overrated?
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: U2: Rock Gods or Overrated?
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 12:42
U2: Rock Gods or Overrated?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 12:51
overrated

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 13:08
Overrated, but I do enjoy most of their albums to some extent.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 13:36
To put it nicely: I don't like you two or yewtew or U2 at all 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 14:12
Overrated from the point of view of us Prog-snobs, but probably mind-blowing to the FM Radio commercial rock muggles.

Posted By: beeebon
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 14:15
File alongside Coldplay. I.e. not worth listening to.

(At least that is my opinion)

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 14:26
first two albums great, third good but after that I'd rather fill my ears with cold custard than endure a single note.

-------------
What?

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 15:04
Can't stand 'em.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 16:04
Great live band, consistent but progressive, frequently imitated.

Rock gods.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 16:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Overrated from the point of view of us Prog-snobs,

I don't know, Dream Theater worship them??

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 17:38
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

first two albums great, third good but after that I'd rather fill my ears with cold custard than endure a single note.

For once I totally agree with you, too Big smile

Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 18:00
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Overrated from the point of view of us Prog-snobs,

I don't know, Dream Theater worship them??

I suppose to mainstream music listeners/FM radio listeners, a band like U2 are hugely exciting. But we're kind of spoiled listening to prog...we get plenty of great playing, adventurous and ambitious arrangements, etc, so U2 (who, even though I don't persoanlly like them, are hardly the worst of bands out there) don't sound nearly as interesting or impressive?

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 18:14
silly question....  typical poll PA's poll results... what planet you all are from.  I have no clue

of course they are gods.. legends... whatever one calls them

Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 18:25
Hmmmm, sounds like someone's got stocks in Bono's amber lense glasses or The Edge's beanies, Micky!

Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 18:28
Have there been all star mashups of U2 songs yet? Wacko

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 18:32

Hmmmm, sounds like someone's got stocks in Bono's amber lense glasses or The Edge's beanies, Micky!

nah... just a great deal of respect for the band.. even if I stopped listened to them years ago.  We do give passes for bands for losing the creative edge after decades and creating seminal rock albums but respect as well for continuing to soldier on.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: March 31 2017 at 20:30
"Out of control", "Gloria" and "New Year's Day" are great anthemic songs. It was only after Achtung Baby that I lost interest, although it's tough listening to The Joshua Tree without skipping the first three songs due to radio overplay. A couple of duds on that one too (as on most of their good albums...later releases seem full of them).

I wouldn't say they're overrated, considering that opinions on their legacy have become more polarizing through the years.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 02:06
From Unforgettable Fire until Achtung Baby, they were probably the greatest (80's) band, but they f**ked up with Zooropa (ok, kudos for going experimental, but it stunk) and the Passenger (with Eno) thing ... and they've never been the same since: Pop was still acceptable (but no more), and I totally can't get in the rest of their albums... I'm not even trying to keep up with their stuff anymore.
As for their early stuff, I wasn't really into it... I only really appreciate NYD

Toooooo bad that they're only the shadow of their former selves... Today, they seem to live on their former Joshua glories. 

Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 05:16
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I wouldn't say they're overrated, considering that opinions on their legacy have become more polarizing through the years.

some fans never forgave them for going 'euro' in the 90's and not mining the Joshua Tree goldmine ad nauseum

I think the key to their polarization however is non-musical.....most never liked what the politically and socially pompous sanctimonious t**t that Bono became

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 05:57
I like some of their songs ("New Year's Day", "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "Numb"), but I won't call them Rock Gods.
On the other hand, to call them "overrated"... I would keep this adjective for Kiss, the Sex Pistols or Muse (nope, no trolling here).

Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 06:56
oh no...

KISS  overrated.... who the f**k thinks that Angry  other than kiddies who weren't around and have no clue what they are talking about. LOL

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 07:03
Funny - Kiss were such an inspiration to many back in the day, nowadays, a bunch of egomaniac w**kers...........
And to think that some of my idols looked up to Kiss as idols .....??   
U2 don't even enter the picture. They started out rather pox, and disappeared up their asses. No wonder I can't see them anymore.......

Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 07:09
Kiss are no different than .. well.. pretty much all but the very best...  after a certain time the creativity and fire dries up and they become parodies of what made them great.  It happened to KISS.. it happened to a great many artists musically.  Very few escape that....

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 07:31
Kiss were acceptable up until Dynasty. Then the became Roller-Rink bubblegum (shows my age, eh ?)
U2 never had it. It even took Eno some hard work to polish a smelly turd........

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 08:08
Kiss were fun, and not really supposed to be anything else. For that reason I respect them more than U2.

U2 were good up to and includng The Unforgettable fire, after that they became...well...completely forgettable. IMO. The Joshua Tree, with the excpetion of a couple of songs was a snooze fest. Rattle & Hum was wall to wall drek.

I saw them on the Achtung/Zooropa tour back in 93. Nice looking show, but the worst live sound I've ever heard at a gig, and peppered with preachy pretentiousness.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 08:26
"Ah, but being as big as we are, we couldn't possibly be anything but overrated to some!".

No, but you really are sh*t. I will compare you to The Beatles, but only in the sense that both bands are getting by with a little help from government departments.
U2 shut the gate and sealed it behind them, The Beatles were more cruel and made it look like anyone could do it.
"Vertigo","Beautiful Day" the one they did for that Batman film are the only three songs of theirs I could stand. "The Joshua Tree" was massive when I was in school and I luckily didn't grow into it!

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: April 01 2017 at 12:18
U2 was OK but well overhyped in the eighties and has been unmitigated sh*te for the last 27 years. Bono is a w**ker of the very highest denomination.

Other than that, all good.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: April 02 2017 at 07:07
Kiss knows how to perform. They care (or cared) a great deal about putting on a great show. I give them all the props in the world for that. I think their music is simplistic in the extreme and overall sucks ass.

As far as U2 is concerned, I like some of their earlier songs but was never a fan. I suppose they are as "rock god" as any long lived rock band with a great deal of success under their belts. 

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 05:47
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

silly question....  typical poll PA's poll results... what planet you all are from.  I have no clue

of course they are gods.. legends... whatever one calls them

I agree completely! 

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 05:53
I can live, with or without them.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 07:02
A pretty good band, but still excessively overrated. No need or reason for deification.

And in advance, I am no robot.

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 07:05
Beautiful planes imo - perhaps not as sleek as the blackbird but still.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 07:28
Can't abide U2 (or Kiss), generic rock which connected with the public but are no better than 100's of other bands. One of the few bands I'll actively change channels if they come up on a classic rock station.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 07:34

oh no...

KISS  overrated.... who the f**k thinks that Angry  other than kiddies who weren't around and have no clue what they are talking about. LOL

I was around when they were around and saw they for exactly what they were, an extremely average hard rock band with a very good marketing gimmick for the kiddies. Got your Kiss lunch box and action figures? Give me Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon, Rainbow, Budgie, etc, etc, etc, ahead of those clowns.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 08:39
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

oh no...

I was around when they were around and saw they for exactly what they were, an extremely average hard rock band with a very good marketing gimmick for the kiddies. Got your Kiss lunch box and action figures? Give me Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon, Rainbow, Budgie, etc, etc, etc, ahead of those clowns.

"...And 'twas with these words filled with coulrophobia that one of the bloodiest PA Civil Wars ever started..." Nuke

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 08:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I can live, with or without them.

Can't abide U2 (or Kiss), generic rock which connected with the public but are no better than 100's of other bands. One of the few bands I'll actively change channels if they come up on a classic rock station.

Thumbs Up

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 09:42
Most overrated band that ever was.

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:18

oh no...

Reading your post reminds me of when I saw Iron Maiden with Twisted Sister opening back in '84. The Sister couldn't get off the stage fast enough for me. My contempt was palpable. I wanted to see the real band, Iron Maiden, not a group of clowns in makeup. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Wouldn't that be The Stones??

Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Grateful Dead 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:26
No, Sean. The Stone's never set out to cure world hunger. They're only a rock and roll band, but I like them.

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:27
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Come on. The Rolling Stones are not my cup of tea, but I can respect them for some accomplishments (now, to say they're still interesting after 50 years... Ermm)
If you want to throw... stones to a band, let's lynch Oasis.

Oh, by the way, two weeks ago, I heard my brother and one of his friends expressing their disdain for the Beach Boys...

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 14:49
For a band that started out as very mediocre musicians they wrote some nice songs.
Probably overrated...but I think the first 5 albums are all  good.....after that I lost interest but there are some nice tracks on the later ones also. 

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 14:52

No, Sean. The Stone's never set out to cure world hunger. They're only a rock and roll band, but I like them.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: April 03 2017 at 19:31

Same here, particularly the early 60's stuff.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: thebeastmustdie
Date Posted: April 10 2017 at 05:18
never thought of them as anything other than middle of the road, bloated, bland staduim rock. How on earth The Edge manages to frequently score quite high up in 'greatest guitar player ever' polls is beyond me. Ok he can do that picky strumming thing and hes got a delay pedal...WOW. Their songs may tend sound like big grand, sweeping epics, but they are utterly hollow on the inside

and Bono's politics/personality is irrelevant, musicians can be as arseholey as they want, thats never a factor in if I like a bands music.

Posted By: Pelata
Date Posted: April 11 2017 at 13:27
Along with The Bealtes and King's X, U2 are in my Top 3 favorite bands of all time. I love everything they've done to different degrees. I get why people get sick of them, but honestly I don't care. I think they're very unique and engaging and daring. They are not afraid to mix it up and change from one album to the next. I love Bono's voice and his presence. Amazing live band as well.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk