Led Zeppelin IV or Moving Pictures?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110756
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 00:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Led Zeppelin IV or Moving Pictures?
Posted By: TexasKing
Subject: Led Zeppelin IV or Moving Pictures?
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 12:46
OK, which album you like better?
My vote goes to LZ IV. 

Replies:
Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 12:52
lol

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 15:00
Blow out in the making.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 15:29
Though undeniably classic, in retrospect Zoso is probably the band's least interesting work; it is simplistic, a kneejerk overreaction to Zep III's disappointing sales, overplayed by every rock radio station and teenager in the world, and material far better live than in studio.   Whereas MP is almost forty years later still fresh and exciting.   Moving Pictures.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 15:34
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Though undeniably classic, in retrospect Zoso is probably the band's least interesting work; it is simplistic, a kneejerk overreaction to Zep III's disappointing sales, overplayed by every rock radio station and teenager in the world, and material far better live than in studio.   Whereas MP is almost forty years later still fresh and exciting.   Moving Pictures.

Led Zepp IV has some great songs (especially When The Levee Breaks), but Moving Pictures is on the next level up.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 15:38
Moving Pictures, easily. Led Zeppelin IV is a bit overrated, IMHO.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 15:41

Basically yea.....I prolly went half dozen years without spinning IV, for good reason. Moving Pitchers though has been spun easily once a month since release, for good reason.

-------------

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 16:28
IV is pretty commercial. Only really strong track is 4 sticks. Moving pictures wins

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 16:36
rush

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 18:16
  Led Zeppelin IV isn't my favorite album of Zepp ( Led Zeppelin II) , nor Moving Pictures is my best RUSH album ( A Farewell To Kings) but... Rush wins !

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 21:11
I do love Moving Pictures, but for me Zep IV is more special.

Posted By: freyacat
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 22:01
This one is like apples and oranges for me - these albums are not trying to do the same thing, so there is little basis for comparison.  Led Zeppelin IV is a pastoral, spiritual hippie-rock album, and Moving Pictures is aiming at a kind of futuristic science-fiction kind of atmosphere.  Both albums have amazing compositions and playing, but I cannot see them competing for anything.

-------------
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 00:11
Moving Pictures.

Led Zep IV is fine, but not even Zeps best album. Far from it. I prefer II, III, Houses of the Holy and Presence.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 01:37
Rush

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 02:01
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Moving Pictures, easily. Led Zeppelin IV is a bit overrated, IMHO.

This. MP is #2 of Rush's twin peaks in chronological order, LZIV is pretty good, but not on par with LZIII or HotH.

-------------

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 03:11
Would Rush have had the imagination to have invited someone of Sandy Denny's calibre to guest on one of their annoying albums?  No, I thought not!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 21:31
ZoSo, and it's not even close. In fact, it's not even a consideration.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 15 2017 at 10:09
Led Zeppelin IV, not by much, but my sure choice. 

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 07:16
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

lol

yeah man....   like comparing a 6' blond 20 something with big tits  to a dude with a beard with a big belly and melon sized man tits

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 11:33
I mean you gotta consider the ten-year time frame that bridges them, and the environment both were released into. One revolutionized one decade, the other another. As for which holds up better in modern day? I'd say Moving Pictures. IV has some extremely cringeworthy cheese like 'The Battle of Evermore', but I'd say in conscience that Moving Pictures has for the most part no faults.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 11:42
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

lol

yeah man....   like comparing a 6' blond 20 something with big tits dude with a beard with a big belly and melon sized man tits to a dude with a beard with a big belly and melon sized man tits

FIFY!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 12:51
Never really got into MP so it has to be LZ.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 12:51
Not big on either, but I will go with Moving Pictures.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 15:44
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

lol

yeah man....   like comparing a 6' blond 20 something with big tits dude with a beard with a big belly and melon sized man tits to a dude with a beard with a big belly and melon sized man tits

FIFY!

Angry not fair...since when did we shift to comparing f**king Camel albums

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: April 17 2017 at 05:07
Moving Pictures spent more time on my turntable - it gets the nod.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: April 17 2017 at 13:57
love both but

Zeppelin

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 25 2017 at 11:36
Moving Pictures - One of my all time favorite albums!

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: July 25 2017 at 14:07
My vote goes for Zep hands down. I always thought MP was really overrated and just not that great of an album, especially when compared to the likes of 2112 and Hemispheres.

-------------
The most dangerous man in America.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 02:32
Moving Pictures by light years. I don't even like LZ IV. I don't really dig LZ anymore - used to, some things, but they bore me to tears of blood.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 11:06
Er ... Ah ... What?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 11:40
Any Zeppelin album > Any Rush album

(and I like Rush)

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 19:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Moving Pictures by light years. I don't even like LZ IV. I don't really dig LZ anymore - used to, some things, but they bore me to tears of blood.

LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 19:30
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

(and I like Rush)

Diff'rent strokes. I can't even listen to the first three by LZ. If "Whole Lotta Love" was banned from the airwaves, the world would be a better place. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Paroscoob
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 19:54
Rush

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 20:07
I've owned many Zepp albums over the years, I still hold onto Zepp III and Prescence, if only for their slow Blues comps. And compare Since I've Been Loving You to Moby Grape's 'Never'............
Tea For One is just PERFECT.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 20:11
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

(and I like Rush)

Diff'rent strokes. I can't even listen to the first three by LZ. If "Whole Lotta Love" was banned from the airwaves, the world would be a better place. LOL

Zep Zep is hit and miss for me. I like Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti and the much maligned In Through the Out Door the most. Not generally being a hard rock guy, I actually tend to prefer Zep's softer songs, so even if it's schmaltzy I love "Thank You" off II, and I love "Tangerine" off III.

Anyway, I;m voting IV for "4 Sticks", love it:

Both of these albums have a lot of nostalgia value for me as they were two of my favourites when I was 15, 16, and I would give almost anything to be able to relive those days. The older I got the more I want to be a teen again (in fact I drift off to those days in my head far more than is healthy).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 20:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

and the much maligned In Through the Out Door the most.

A secret favorite album for a lot of old time fans.   Other than the fact that it's a friggin great record, I think it's appreciated as a nice change of sound, so elegant and interested in the future of rock music.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 20:41
^ Some flolks go along with the times, some folks don't.........

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 17:33
Moving Pictures.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 17:41
Both albums are stone cold classics but I voted for MP primarily because I'm more of a Rush fan than a Zepp head.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 17:44

A secret favorite album for a lot of old time fans.   Other than the fact that it's a friggin great record, I think it's appreciated as a nice change of sound, so elegant and interested in the future of rock music.

ITTOD is probably the most under rated LZ album imo. Even Presence seems to get more respect. Of course I'm not counting the albums released after the band broke up(ie Coda). I personally like ITTOD because I think they really took chances on it and really pushed their boundaries and comfort zone. I don't think any other Zeppelin album does that as much as that one does. I'm not sure it's actually my personal favorite but it's special to me the same way "Tormato" is. 

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 17:54
Moving Pictures

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 18:44
IV

lol

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 22:23
If there had been Hemispheres from Rush that would have been my choise then. But now it´s LZ IV, their greatest album with Houses of the Holy.

Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 22:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

ITTOD is probably the most under rated LZ album imo. Even Presence seems to get more respect. Of course I'm not counting the albums released after the band broke up(ie Coda). I personally like ITTOD because I think they really took chances on it and really pushed their boundaries and comfort zone. I don't think any other Zeppelin album does that as much as that one does. I'm not sure it's actually my personal favorite but it's special to me the same way "Tormato" is. 
In ITTOD, specially the first side they were just so done. Second side has better songs, but still their playing is just a shadow of Presence. ITTOD is not underrated, it´s just is their worst album. Only one, who was in condition that time was John Paul Jones and you can hear it.

Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 01:27
^ Worst album?  Not by a long shot.   I reckon overall it's far superior to Houses in consistency & production, outdoes Coda for material, and for my taste makes Zep IV sound like a college party.  

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 01:33
Led Zep

tough choice :)

Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 01:46
I don't think Zeppelin have a 'worst' album really, all excellent in my book incl. Out Door (an highly entertaining and amusing listen).

I believe that IV is their strongest effort however.

-------------

Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 04:33

^ Worst album?  Not by a long shot.   I reckon overall it's far superior to Houses in consistency & production, outdoes Coda for material, and for my taste makes Zep IV sound like a college party.  

Just listened Celebration Day. There are no songs from Outdoor, so I quess that tells what they´re thinking about it themselves. All My Love is a great song, I think they should have played that. To me Out door sounds as an album that´s made by dinosaur band, there are nothing left of that powersound of Zeppelin that still was in Presence. But of course everybody´s have right to like what they want. To me their greatest albums are IV and Houses Of Holy, really love also I-III.

Reason why I bought myself Out Door as vinyl, is that I found it with reasonable price in original covers (that original paper still in it).

Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 06:11
^ With the sleeve that reacts to water and changes colors?

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 06:15
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Just listened Celebration Day. There are no songs from Outdoor, so I quess that tells what they´re thinking about it themselves. All My Love is a great song, I think they should have played that. To me Out door sounds as an album that´s made by dinosaur band, there are nothing left of that powersound of Zeppelin that still was in Presence. But of course everybody´s have right to like what they want. To me their greatest albums are IV and Houses Of Holy, really love also I-III.

Reason why I bought myself Out Door as vinyl, is that I found it with reasonable price in original covers (that original paper still in it).

you forgot about Physical Graffiti, ton a great stuff in there

Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 07:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

you forgot about Physical Graffiti, ton a great stuff in there
Third side of Physical is as great as those earlier classic albums, but first album suffers to the lenght of songs (you know they were making only one album, but when they got too much songs to one album, they decided to make some songs longer which I think was mistake). Fourth side is also quite good.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 17:16
not even close - the mighty Led Zeppelin

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 10:11
Zeppelin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk