Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111051
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 08:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hawkwind vs Pink Floyd
Posted By: Kepler62
Subject: Hawkwind vs Pink Floyd
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 05:07
I find Hawkwind infinitely more interesting. I find that I rarely put  any Pink Floyd on the turntable anymore. 

Replies:
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 05:15
Hawkwind are one of those bands that I never got into...and they should be made for my tastes. Floyd on the other hand was my first real musical love.
I return to Hawkwind every once in a while - try out another album of theirs - but they have yet to grab me.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 07:34
I love Hawkwind but I wish Brock hadn't lost control of the catalogue in the early 80s to pay his tax bill.  That said, the period from Space Ritual up to Calvert's ejection from the band rivals the Floyd's output in terms of inventiveness.  Floyd were also very influential on them - and the complement was paid when Hawkwind covered Cymbeline.  Not a straight contest, by any means...

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 08:24
It's a very close race for me. Hawkwind is an excellent band with a large and great discography, and Pink Floyd ranks very high as an innovative, pioneering brand in terms of sound and musical approach, so I'm a little puzzled to be honest. Maybe I'll go with Hawkwind, to give them some love, in a poll they will likely loose.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 08:43
Hawkwind gets my pick solely on the basis of Stacia's boobs Big smile

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: 70sBoy
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 08:52
Early Floyd would win for me but their later glossy surface loses it for me. Hawkwind have that edge to them that never faded.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 09:07
At this point, it's Hawkwind. I simply like more of their albums, while I've grown tired of some of Floyd's. WYWH lost a lot of its zip. I like Gilmour's first solo album better than anything by Floyd right now.

Hawkwind has tons of great music.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 10:05
PF

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 11:46
If there was a spot to vote, my vote would go to Hawkwind. I love 3-4 Floyd albums but they fell off a cliff for me when they released The Wall and never climbed back up. Hawkwind has had a lot of up and downs but a lot more ups and far more albums that I enjoy than Floyd.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 12:16
yeah Floyd is great and all that...

Hawkwind though..  so much more fun and interesting to listen to.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 12:17
I know I'm not that drunk....  where's the poll man LOL

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 14:01
Atom Heart Mother and Live at Pompeii are among my favorite recordings ever, but Hawkwind has an enormous amount of better-then-average stuff I tend to return to. I like their nineties stuff a lot.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 14:11
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

If there was a spot to vote, my vote would go to Hawkwind. I love 3-4 Floyd albums but they fell off a cliff for me when they released The Wall and never climbed back up. Hawkwind has had a lot of up and downs but a lot more ups and far more albums that I enjoy than Floyd.

Something like this.
Hawkwind.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 14:47
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

That's the only reason I know Hawkwind Clap. Also Lemmy played with them.....Other than that I don't think I have a reason to visit their catalog.

The Floyd is enough for me.

-------------

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 16:51
I prefer Stacia's boobs to both of these bands combined.
I used to like PF more back in the day.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 17:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hawkwind are one of those bands that I never got into...and they should be made for my tastes. Floyd on the other hand was my first real musical love.
I return to Hawkwind every once in a while - try out another album of theirs - but they have yet to grab me.

Exactly. PF in a landslide

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 18:04
slight edge to Hawkwind, as much because they managed to stay "underground" as because their music is more interesting

Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 18:34
Never saw Hawkwind live but some of their stage shows were really over the top. I just found Floyd too polished. Saw them on the Pulse tour. I dunno. Just like Progmatic I was disappointed when the Wall came out. That album never really cut it with me. Then there was The Final Cut. Really like Hawkwind's cover of interstellar Overdrive. 

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 18:48
Hawkwind are good at times but no match to Pjnk Floyd.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: May 03 2017 at 20:00
Every once in awhile I try to get into Hawkwind, but nothing has ever clicked for me. And there's some stuff they've done that I've been genuinely repulsed by; they tend thrash a lot like Punk from what I've heard. I still enjoy Floyd, especially Saucerful of Secrets and Umma Gumma.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 04 2017 at 00:42
Oink

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: May 04 2017 at 00:54
Floyd.

I've tried Hawkwind. Saw them described once as a working class Pink Floyd. Probably a prog punk acid drenched listen but not quite in the same class as the posher element. They remind me of the sort of prog type band that would appear in a (British) TV show.

Floyd have a song and piece writing capability a league or two beyond the Hawklords. Not to mention a great lead guitarist.

Still, an extra mention for '80s page 3 starlet Samantha Fox for guesting (actually on vocals rather than re-enacting Stacia's presence - points off guys...) on a gig once or twice.

No poll... if he OP can edit his original post we can go back to the competition for a European place... er, I mean assessment of the relative values of the two bands in question.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: May 04 2017 at 02:50
Hawkwind are in my personal top 5. Pink Floyd had their peak with "Ummagumma" and "Meddle" and lost it completely after "Wish You Were Here". "Animals" sounds like a bunch of old-age pensioners pretending they are still youthful. "The Wall" has its moments but they are rare, and over anything aterwards a cloak of silence should be spread gently

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: May 04 2017 at 05:22
Floyd, but only because I haven't listened to any Hawkwind.

Yes, that's lame, I know it . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: May 04 2017 at 08:27
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hawkwind are good at times but no match to Pjnk Floyd.

This

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 10 2017 at 08:26
Easy one: Pink Floyd. Hawkwind never did it for me.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 10 2017 at 13:40
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah Floyd is great and all that...

Hawkwind though..  so much more fun and interesting to listen to.

^ this........and by god Mick finally got one right.....

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: May 10 2017 at 15:02
I love early Floyd nearly as much as i love Hawkwind; starting from very similar departure points they almost immediately moved apart stylistically and musically. Yes, Gilmour is a great guitarist and yes, Floyd rapidly developed a more sophisticated sound but Hawkwind just have it for me. Both bands have created gems and stinkers; Floyd's have just been bigger, more high profile and more expensive. Hawkwind, are for me, a people's band and despite what some might say i dont think Dave Brock or any other member of the band over the years (apart from Ginger Baker perhapsWink) would want to spit in the face of any of their audience or feel that alienated from them.

-------------

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: May 10 2017 at 15:10
Pink Floyd is just great; so memorable sound, melodies and atmosphere
Hawkwind is sympathetic

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 01:54

Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

I prefer Stacia's boobs to both of these bands combined.
I used to like PF more back in the day.
Really? As a red-bloodied male of 60 years vintage even I struggle to get excited by the prospect of the tits of a woman five years my senior, but each to their own. [Gravity is cruel].

Hawkwind are great and all that, especially with one of their many classic line-ups comprising of Brock & Turner with variously Lemmy, Calvert, Dikmik, Anderson, Dettmar, House, King, Powell etc., etc., etc., but they had neither the depth nor the breadth of Pink Floyd despite the carousel of fine musicians who have played with them over the years. There are a few of terrific highlight albums in their mahoosive back catalogue but the really stand-out ones are oddly the least "Hawkwind" sounding with their eponymous debut and Quark, Strangeness and Charm being the most notable of those. The sequence from In Search of Space to Warrior on the Edge of Time is probably their most popular but of those Hall of the Mountain Grill is the only one I play with any regularity (and not that often in all honesty). 

-------------
What?

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 02:03
^ Waddabowt the Brock/Davey/Chadwick line-up ?? A force to be reckoned with.
Still, Floyd are my pick. Always ends up with Floyd.......

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 02:13
Lost all interest in them long before then. LOL

-------------
What?

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 02:32
^ Wow    Electric Tepee is too awesome. Its production isn't that great, but the compositions themselves are mostly outstanding. IMH of course. Doesn't mean I don't love In Search Of Space, Warrior, Levitation etc. I currently have at least 35 Hawk vinyl releases.
Fanboy alert, I guess

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 02:51
I often see teenagers walking around wearing Dark Side of the Moon T-shirts. I wouldn't say that it's as familiar as the Coca Cola logo but Floyd has become so mass produced and generic. I have questioned a number of these kids over the years and none of them really know anything about Pink Floyd's music. On a few occasions I've come across people wearing Hawkwind merchandise and they are always die hard fans and have favourite albums, lineups, stories etc. The only Pink Floyd I will throw on would be Animals or Meddle. I also have a copy of Atom Heart floating around in my collection somewhere that hasn't surfaced for years. Another thing. When Floyd were still at it you would never hear any of their lesser stuff in concert. Wherea Hawkwind  still does revisit older not so well known material in their live shows even though hey might not still be the Hawkwind of 1972-5 that a lot of people bitch about. As for the Stacia comments... 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 03:25
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I often see teenagers walking around wearing Dark Side of the Moon T-shirts. I wouldn't say that it's as familiar as the Coca Cola logo but Floyd has become so mass produced and generic. I have questioned a number of these kids over the years and none of them really know anything about Pink Floyd's music. On a few occasions I've come across people wearing Hawkwind merchandise and they are always die hard fans and have favourite albums, lineups, stories etc. The only Pink Floyd I will throw on would be Animals or Meddle. I also have a copy of Atom Heart floating around in my collection somewhere that hasn't surfaced for years. Another thing. When Floyd were still at it you would never hear any of their lesser stuff in concert. Wherea Hawkwind  still does revisit older not so well known material in their live shows even though hey might not still be the Hawkwind of 1972-5 that a lot of people bitch about. As for the Stacia comments... 

I agree with much of that, although when I saw Floyd in the 90's they opened with Astronomy Domine, which I guess was relatively obscure to much of the crowd.

I love Floyd, although don't think anything post The Wall is really that great. As for Hawkwind they will always be a favourite band. They are strangely good even when they're crap. Hawkwind was all about the spirit of the music and about chaos, rather than artistry and sophistication.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 04:25
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I couldn't care less about popularity or what ironic t-shirts fashionista's wear - not that long ago it was fashionable for young girls to wear Motorhead t-shirts and studded leather jackets or t-shirts with the Nirvana dead smile face logo... I recently saw a cropped sleeve Led Zepp shirt on someone who clearly had never heard of them. None of this matters to me, I wear a Beatles sweatshirt even though I don't care for their music very much because try as hard as I can, I cannot make the shirt play Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and putting it on doesn't make me want to play any of their albums. (I wear Converse high-tops but have no inclination to play sports of any kind, least of all baseball). There is nothing generic about Pink Floyd's music, it simply broke out of the narrow confines of the underground music scene that spawned it - that does not lessen or distract from the actual music for me any more than preferring to put Coca Cola in my Cuba Libra rather than some lesser known carbonated plant extract soda. Ask the average "man in the street" about Hawkwind and they'll come back with Silver Machine, Lemmy and Stacia (ffs! ...and if you don't get the sarcasm in my earlier post then so be it). Ask even the most die hard music fan about Space Ritual and a few may know of the album of that name and fewer still will mention Nik Turner's alternative Hawkwind ensemble. Given the number of bootleg recordings of live Floyd shows that do feature lesser known songs, and the recent playing of songs like Fat Old Sun and Remember the Day by Gilmour during his solo shows, you cannot base everything on what was released on Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse. 

You prefer Hawkwind to Pink Floyd - good for you - I prefer both to Eloy and the world continues to spin on its axis. Bashing either band doesn't make the other any better.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 04:45
Yeah...erm...we tend to see this all the time especially in the overrated threads.
'I don't like Pink Floyd ergo the fans of said band must be completely off their meds'
'How can people not see the error of their ways and hear the music like I do and subsequently report back in shame about how wrong they were all this time'

Sure enough, I'm still waiting for fans of Renaissance to come to their senses and renounce the muzak!!!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 05:03
Is it possible to say neither? 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 05:29

I guess I should have ended this post and all future joking type posts with a Wink

-------------

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 09:24
The thing with Floyd is that no other big band is big based solely on the strength of a logo (DSOTM) and a single song (Another Brick in the Wall pt2).
If you take The Beatles, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Nirvana, etc. most people know a bunch of their songs and records. Pink Floyd was a pop/rock band that failed to make memorable pop/rock songs, and yet they are HUGE.
If we go into prog territory, they have just a handful of prog songs (if we believe slowing down a 4/4 pop song and adding a few wailing sounds and solos makes for a prog song), and yet they are part of "the big 6".
I like Floyd, I still listen to them...but the amount of praise they get is just ridiculous.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 09:36
So you like Floyd but can't stand the fact that they're successful?Ermm

I love chocolate and would eat it daily if it was more obscure. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 11:30
LOL

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 11:55
Obscure chocolate is nearly as good as forbidden chocolate

-------------

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 14:07

No. It's more like eating an average chocolate bar. I prefer many other brands, but I still indulge myself. It tastes ok, but it's really plain.
Having a neat package and good TV ads help with sells, but being popular do not make it the best chocolate ever.
Some like chocolate with mint, other guys prefer almonds, some eat high quality swiss chocolate...but a plain chocolate bar is safe as milk (Cap. Beefheart pun intended) and most will eat it from time to time. It's just not THE BEST THING EVER.
Mass appeal and quality are different beasts.

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 02:23

No. It's more like eating an average chocolate bar. I prefer many other brands, but I still indulge myself. It tastes ok, but it's really plain.
Having a neat package and good TV ads help with sells, but being popular do not make it the best chocolate ever.
Some like chocolate with mint, other guys prefer almonds, some eat high quality swiss chocolate...but a plain chocolate bar is safe as milk (Cap. Beefheart pun intended) and most will eat it from time to time. It's just not THE BEST THING EVER.
Mass appeal and quality are different beasts.

But they are not mutually exclusive. However, liking the something for the wrong reason is perfectly acceptable whereas disliking something for the same reason is not. It's okay to like artisan craft chocolate because it's hip and trendy despite its bitter, grainy taste not quite living up to the hyped-up price ticket and hand-made packaging. All that distinguishes the artisan from the mass produced is marketing. Our local deli sells grissini bread sticks dipped in dark Belgian chocolate compared to the more popular Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers that are essentially the same thing in a different guise. I know which I'd prefer to have or give as a present but when it comes to having a chocolate coated biscuit to have with my afternoon tea I know I'll not be buying the product that is 850% more expensive. Rejecting the mass marketing of a popular product while espousing a similar but less popular product is still succumbing to the persuasive power of marketing. More people liking Cadbury's chocolate does not affect the quality of their product (selling the company to an American corporation who changed the recipe did that). Anyway, metaphors and analogies are great and all, (for entertainment purposes only), but music is not like chocolate and sometimes you just have to assess music as music and not as some neatly marketed package. 

Pink Floyd (or Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Tull, Marillion, Oldfield, Moodies or even Zappa) releasing music that has popular appeal does not (or at least should not) distract from everything else they did, nor should it be rejected outright simply because more people liked it than the smaller percentage of music lovers who once did. Frankly, anyone who argues against the quality of music is on a hiding to nothing.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:03
Well said!   Both bands emerged from the soup of creativity in the late 60s - Hawkwind were hugely influenced by the Floyd and both gradually emerged with triumphant leaders: Brock and Waters.  It was only because Waters turned his back on the Floyd that allowed Gilmour to reconvene the band.  Brock sacked his potential would-be rival (but allowed him back in for a bit in the early 80s) and took control of musical direction (after Astounding Sounds).  Brock always allowed Hawkwind to absorb musical developments around them (punk, electronica, ambient, metal, even dance) whereas Floyd always drifted back to mainstream rock (a process more or less complete by The Wall).  This openness kept Hawkwind interesting - and their constant touring always kept the special bond with the fans (Floyd fans have to make do with the various tribute acts...)

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:09
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Well said!   Both bands emerged from the soup of creativity in the late 60s - Hawkwind were hugely influenced by the Floyd and both gradually emerged with triumphant leaders: Brock and Waters.  It was only because Waters turned his back on the Floyd that allowed Gilmour to reconvene the band.  Brock sacked his potential would-be rival (but allowed him back in for a bit in the early 80s) and took control of musical direction (after Astounding Sounds).  Brock always allowed Hawkwind to absorb musical developments around them (punk, electronica, ambient, metal, even dance) whereas Floyd always drifted back to mainstream rock (a process more or less complete by The Wall).  This openness kept Hawkwind interesting - and their constant touring always kept the special bond with the fans (Floyd fans have to make do with the various tribute acts...)

Hawkwind were more influenced by Amon Düül 2.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:40
Sorry, I meant that Floyd were one influence - Brock has cited Amon Duul in addition to Neu, Can, etc.

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 04:21
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Hawkwind were more influenced by Amon Düül 2.

Nobody even really knew what Pink Floyd  looked like back in the seventies! Amon Duul and the more musical splinter were darker than Pink Floyd back in the late 60s. Then Amon Duul II got happier and Pink Floyd got darker. Hawkwind always remained "out there" , cynical and foreboding. On the other hand heir lyrics can even get playful and are fun to listen to. Calvert and Moorcock's oratories were always neat   When The Wall came out I remember a lot of real Pink Floyd fans disliking it. I don't even think I ever bought it because everyone had it even though they disliked it. I remember borrowing a copy from a friend who hated it then it got passed on to another friend who couldn't wait to get his paws on it. It had a transparent sticker on the plastic wrap that everyone saved. 

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 04:44
Big fan of The Wall. First real experience with Floyd back when I was 9-10. I still know the lyrics and melodies by heart though these days I tend to reach for Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and More. Now I am a real Floyd fan (not a robot either) and I dig the early wild days as well as The Wall.
How is that even possible you say? I use my ears.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:15
I'm also a bit surprised of all the negativity about The Wall. It's not my favourite album, it may be a bit overambitious and at times the concept dominates the music, but it's something very original and unique and full of ideas. The band avoided standing still and pleasing their fans' expectations; they came up with something many people could connect to not because they tried to be commercial but because they had something relevant to say at the right time.

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 06:04
It's a case of damned if you do damned if you don't. Had they continued in the footsteps of say Animals fans would have accused them of standing still - running on autopilot...but then they bring us The Wall which is completely new sonically and conceptually and as a consequence of that fans long for the old Floyd.
I want a sheep! Alright then here's a sheep. Nahh I don't want that! But you said you wanted sheep? Yeah but I meant mutton.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 11:16

Big fan of The Wall. First real experience with Floyd back when I was 9-10. I still know the lyrics and melodies by heart though these days I tend to reach for Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and More. Now I am a real Floyd fan (not a robot either) and I dig the early wild days as well as The Wall.

Every word you posted is the exact same for me.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 11:29

The thing with Floyd is that no other big band is big based solely on the strength of a logo (DSOTM) and a single song (Another Brick in the Wall pt2).
If you take The Beatles, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Nirvana, etc. most people know a bunch of their songs and records. Pink Floyd was a pop/rock band that failed to make memorable pop/rock songs, and yet they are HUGE.
If we go into prog territory, they have just a handful of prog songs (if we believe slowing down a 4/4 pop song and adding a few wailing sounds and solos makes for a prog song), and yet they are part of "the big 6".
I like Floyd, I still listen to them...but the amount of praise they get is just ridiculous.
Maybe a bit too simple but mostly I feel the same. I used to like them a lot when I was younger and I can still recognize that there music is sort of unique and that it flows well but most of it is just so sterile and simple... Pop tunes with some trademark flavours of slow ballad drama and ambient rock. Hawkwind is quite the opposite in that respect.

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 14:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Speaking of those heady Floyd days do you own the BBC Archives release that spans the band's tinkering about in the studios anno 1970 and 71? Also features one of my fave pieces that never got to see the light on a studio album, The Embryo. Most of the BBC release continues in that lovely psychedelic soup that they by then had perfected right down to the t.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 14 2017 at 02:43
There is much to be admired from both bands so while I'll remain a Floyd fan and rabid defender to my dying day I'll not say anything against Brock and Hawkwind, (or Turner and Space Ritual come to that). If only I were a mere three or four years younger and could have seen both perform live in small venues in and around the Ladbroke Grove / Notting Hill area of London in the late 60s I'd be a very happy man. But alas I'll just have to be content with seeing Floyd before DSotM was released and Hawkwind with Captain Bob on vocals in far less intimate surroundings. Music aside, both bands put on spectacular shows that were pure entertainment.

I really don't get the X vs Y comparisons - while Hawkwind were compared to Floyd in the early days, Floyd had moved on from acid-fuelled Space Rock (not that they ever did that much of it in the first place) and out of the Ladbroke Grove underground scene months before Hawkwind formed so I suspect that the comparisons arose not because Hawkwind were particularly influenced by Floyd but because they stepped into the vacant space at just the right time. Despite Brock's busking cover of non-psych/non-space rock Cymbaline I don't see that much to compare them.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Zeropikinz
Date Posted: May 14 2017 at 02:49
Hawkwind this punk spase prog! Pink Floyd this more music interesting .

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 14 2017 at 09:09

Speaking of those heady Floyd days do you own the BBC Archives release that spans the band's tinkering about in the studios anno 1970 and 71? Also features one of my fave pieces that never got to see the light on a studio album, The Embryo. Most of the BBC release continues in that lovely psychedelic soup that they by then had perfected right down to the t.

I don't own it, but looking at the tracklist I can see that it's a must-have for me. The first album I ever bought was Pink Floyd's Works. It has a shortened version of it called "Embryo", which was a particular favourite of mine off Works. I have listened to "The Embryo" off the BBC release and it is fabulous.   

EDITED because I couldn't even put a coherent sentence together.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 14 2017 at 12:02
I like both bands but I am definitely bigger into PF. 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 14 2017 at 20:12

I did get a few of those ones. The one I liked better is the '71 one. Fat Old Sun, Embryo, and One of these Days are wonderful. Though it seems Gilmour's voice wasn't at it's best that night.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 07 2018 at 17:25
Hawkwind

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: May 08 2018 at 00:02
Hawkwind had their moments, especially around the Space Ritual period - but Pink Floyd well ahead on this one.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: May 08 2018 at 02:24
Hawkwind is also really great, but it´s Floyd for me.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk