Print Page | Close Window

Kansas cancels the whole european tour

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111114
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 19:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kansas cancels the whole european tour
Posted By: rocko
Subject: Kansas cancels the whole european tour
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 03:46
just posted this at the NotP-Thread, but don't know if everyone reads the Live-Subforum and i think this is something worth discussing here as well, because i'm just completely angry with this political stuff going on  ...

Official announcement posted at the NotP-Festival Facebook page:

"KANSAS regretfully announces the cancellation of its 2017 European Tour. The cancellation is based on safety and security warnings issued by the United States government and various U.S. law enforcement agencies concerning Americans traveling in Europe this summer. KANSAS is extremely saddened that the band will not be able to perform for its European fans this year. (Kansas will post this tonight on their website and FB Site)"

Replies:
Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 04:15
We all know Europe is extremely dangerous, especially during the Summer...

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 04:41
Sorry but this seems like a poor excuse. Rather like ditching a tour of Asia due to recent Yeti attacks.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 05:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Sorry but this seems like a poor excuse. Rather like ditching a tour of Asia due to recent Yeti attacks.

Doubt it. Yeti are HUGE Kansas fans.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 05:22

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 06:26
Poor excuse is an understatement, this is some propaganda bullsh*t, this is what the oh so well-meaning American government is now spoon-feeding its people. Let me also remind you that te US has a higher homicide rate than any European country except for Albania, Ukraine and Lithuania, among other statistics... They'd be safer every moment they're NOT in the US.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 09:51
Guys think "Eagles of Death Metal" and Paris.....That is what this is about. It's not about Kansas backing out, it is about protecting those that might be harmed at a show filled with innocent people. Yea the guys from Kansas walking around any European city would be fine, no doubt.

Put them on stage, in front of 8-12,000 people in a closed environment and its a tragic event waiting to happen....That's the world we live in.
"American Rock Band Ignores US Travel Warning......hundreds die at one of their shows in Europe due to terrorist act."
You/Kansas don't want to see that headline.......

-------------

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:02
US have apparently plans for Europe in summer. That's a pity, I was looking forward to seeing Kansas in Loreley...Hopefully Yes won't follow this. Btw. Americans themselves who have been in Europe (e.g.Czech Republic, Austria, Poland, Germany...) say it is generally much safer than their homeland.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:06
^^ Dude, there are rock gigs going on in every city in Europe every night of the week with bands coming fron the US and everywhwre else. Cancelling a European tour because of Bataclan makes as much sense as not releasing a new Batman movie because of the Aurora shootings.

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:25
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^^ Dude, there are rock gigs going on in every city in Europe every night of the week with bands coming fron the US and everywhwre else. Cancelling a European tour because of Bataclan makes as much sense as not releasing a new Batman movie because of the Aurora shootings.

Of course there are, I know that...There are rock shows in every dangerous city in the world every night. And I agree there are arguments on both sides.

There are many, many bands from across the pond that I will probably never see for various reasons, mainly due to the expense of coming to the US and traveling within the country......But I don't get my panties in a wad because of that.

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:44
^ Fair enough, and of course it's up to them where they want to play. I wouldn't have been going to see them anyway (though I will admit that Two for the Show was one of my fave albums when I was sixteen - if they'd done a UK tour in 1985 or so I would have been totally up for it).  I just think it's a shame when decisions like this get made as a result of skewed, media-driven perceptions of risk.

Assuming of course that it wasn't a smokescreen for "we didn't sell any tickets" LOL

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:47
I could understand why they might think that just having the name Kansas could put the band, roadies, audience etc. at more risk.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:50
For me It's not about not seeing Kansas (they're alright but I wouldn't go anyways) but about warnings concerning Americans traveling in Europe this summer. Watch out for literally the safest place on earth since there are now slightly more Muslims!

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:54
Home of the brave? I think not. This is very weak.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:55
I very rarely emerge from my cave either nowadays.

Sandbag and hide!!!

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 11:37

That's not new in USA.

Several school trips to Europe were cancelled after the movies Taken and Taken 2.....I'm sure some poor kids in Texas will never know anything past the limits of their county due to a stupid movie.

Recently as December, by the same South Texan schoolteacher who was struggling to take her students to Europe because of parental concern that has been sparked by the trilogy.

Neeson told the Australian press: "These kids had never been outside the state and she was desperate to get some assurance but what I am doing is writing her a letter or a to-whom-it-may-concern letter that she can print out or send to these parents that this is a movie. The chance of your kids being taken in Europe is one in 20 million or something."
The teacher had been trying to take 60 students on a tour of Europe, but parents of 40 of them refused to let them go and cited the Taken films as the reason for their concern.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11327276/Liam-Neeson-tells-Texans-your-children-wont-get-taken-in-Europe.html

LOLLOLLOL

In the early-mid 90's Michael Jackson and Rod Stewart canceled their Peruvian concerts due to a warning issued by the USA government about Shining Path.

Not that it bothered me at all, but it was absurd Abimael Guzman had already been captured and there was no danger.

BTW: When Kansas was in Lima, I talked to them for a couple of hours, and one of the guys asked me if it was dangerous to leave the hotel because of terrorism, it was 2010, and we had not suffered a  terrorist attack in Lima for almost 2 decades.

He told me that they were warned.

As if the terrorists had a slight idea about who Kansas are....Maybe they will know Katy Perry or Madonna, but Kansas.

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 12:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I could understand why they might think that just having the name Kansas could put the band, roadies, audience etc. at more risk.

Srsly?

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 12:32

Srsly?

I like to think that some around here appreciate my odd sense of humour, but I am being serious.

Incidentally: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article134041159.html" rel="nofollow - Columbia man charged with plotting Islamic State terror attack on Kansas City

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 13:55
Yeti attacks?   Finally some real news.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 14:03

Srsly?

I like to think that some around here appreciate my odd sense of humour, but I am being serious.

Incidentally: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article134041159.html" rel="nofollow - Columbia man charged with plotting Islamic State terror attack on Kansas City

Europe is as safe as the USA, time to put on the tinfoil hat, stock up on canned food & barricade ourselves in the basement.Ermm

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 14:13
It's been over for quite some time since Steve Walsh cancelled them.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 14:14
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Europe is as safe as the USA, time to put on the tinfoil hat, stock up on canned food & barricade ourselves in the basement.Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 15:18
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Srsly?

Of course I can't speak for the band Kansas, but I know that with the same level of security, I would feel safer playing in, say, Glendale than Molenbeek. I wasn't saying that the US is safer than Europe, but to many Americans that is the perception (especially when it comes to Islamic terrorism, probably not the perception to violence generally, or I would hope not). Look at that article, there was someone planning an IS inspired attack (seems like entrapment by the way) in Kansas City. So, Kansas isn't safe in Kansas from Islamic terrorism. And here's a man from Kansas who planned an IS inspired attack on an army base in Kansas: http://time.com/3817808/isis-kansas-man/" rel="nofollow - http://time.com/3817808/isis-kansas-man/ . If one were paranoid, one might think that because the bomb plot failed in the state of Kansas, maybe news will spread to Europe to plan an attack on the band Kansas instead.

It's largely about perception, and I think sometimes in such conversations people talk facts without recognizing perceptions that don't need to be based on big picture reality.

As for general safety, including safety from crime generally, it depends where you are in Europe and where you are in the US. Bad things can happen anywhere. I certainly feel safer here in Vancouver than I so when I cross the border even though I generally find the people friendlier south of the 49th parallel (Washington, Oregon). In Paris I didn't feel that safe. I got pick-pocketed on the first day by some kids in the metro (I had an empty wallet), and in Warsaw (I met Roger Waters there as we shared a hotel) someone else tried to pick my pockets. I've never worried about that here.

My point, though, about the band possibly fearing safety risks based on the band being named after a US state in the heartland of America is that there may be added hostility to Americans from heartland states, especially ones named after that state as politically they may get get associated with the more hawkish America. Maybe Kansas the band wouldn't be, I'm not a mind-reader, and I'm saying "maybe" and if they did, I could understand why they might feel that way. I have heard of Americans travelling using Canadian flags on their backpacks so that they would feel safer. Kansas Senator Pat Roberts (an NRA supporter who makes places Kansas less safe), along with other senators, said that Obama should step it up on ISIS. I'd like to see him fight al-Baghdadi mano-a-mano, but being such a big NRA supporter, he'd probably prefer pistols at dawn. He's also been quite the strident Republican when it comes to various terrorism issues: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/sen-pat-roberts-says-terrorists-are-coming-kansas#54332" rel="nofollow - http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/sen-pat-roberts-says-terrorists-are-coming-kansas#54332

Anyway, maybe my perception of Kansas people is wrong, but I think of Kansas as a pretty redneck state where people (or politicians representing the state) are more likely to fear terrorism and want to lash out at so-called extremists than many other places. But I don't know the politics of the band Kansas at all (I don't even know if they live in Kansas), but I think that if I were an IS supporter, I would be more likely to want to target a band called Kansas than one called, say, Art Zoyd.

Sorry posting such a long post to such succinct comments.

I don't think I need to say that I think Trump is an utter nut job and fears are being greatly exaggerated and are often quite irrational, but if my Christian band Texas were to do an open-air concert, I might be more worried about a potential terrorist attack in the capital of France or Germany or Belgium or even in Luton (the crown jewel of Bedfordshire) than, say, the capital cities of the US and Canada (even though I wouldn't feel safe in Washington D.C. without my snipers, but then I never go anywhere without them). Maybe I'd be safer in Europe, but I could understand the perception. Actually, I think my band "The Unbelievers" would be in more danger in heartland America, because my band would be atheist (would bomb in Saudi Arabia too).

EDITED for numerous typos, and I bet there are more still.

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 17:49
^ You will get bold red ink......possibly be called a nut job urself. But I will stand by you and pepper spray anyone comes close.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 19:58
Perhaps they realized they weren't in Kansas anymore....

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 21:32
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

That's not new in USA.

Several school trips to Europe were cancelled after the movies Taken and Taken 2.....I'm sure some poor kids in Texas will never know anything past the limits of their county due to a stupid movie.

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">R<span style="color: rgb40, 40, 40;">ecently as December, by the same South Texan schoolteacher who was struggling to take her students to Europe because of parental concern that has been sparked by the trilogy.</span>
<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif; font-size: medium; color: rgb40, 40, 40;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif; font-size: medium; color: rgb40, 40, 40;">Neeson told the Australian press: "These kids had never been outside the state and she was desperate to get some assurance but what I am doing is writing her a letter or a to-whom-it-may-concern letter that she can print out or send to these parents that this is a movie. The chance of your kids being taken in Europe is one in 20 million or something."</span>
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">The teacher had been trying to take 60 students on a tour of Europe, but parents of 40 of them refused to let them go and cited the Taken films as the reason for their concern.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11327276/Liam-Neeson-tells-Texans-your-children-wont-get-taken-in-Europe.html

LOLLOLLOL

In the early-mid 90's Michael Jackson and Rod Stewart canceled their Peruvian concerts due to a warning issued by the USA government about Shining Path.

Not that it bothered me at all, but it was absurd Abimael Guzman had already been captured and there was no danger.

BTW: When Kansas was in Lima, I talked to them for a couple of hours, and one of the guys asked me if it was dangerous to leave the hotel because of terrorism, it was 2010, and we had not suffered a  terrorist attack in Lima for almost 2 decades.

He told me that they were warned.

As if the terrorists had a slight idea about who Kansas are....Maybe they will know Katy Perry or Madonna, but Kansas.

So, nobody should go to New York again... look at all the things that have happened to that city in the movies...

Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 23:33
And also nobody should go to Fargo.......did u see that movie?

-------------

Posted By: Zappy
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 01:32
absolutely ridiculous reasoning.period.

Posted By: aprusso
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:07
Wow. While, instead, the US are very safe now..... and especially the midwest with all its shootings

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:08
Dictators (not the band) rule and win. Cancelling gigs with the possibility of terrorism means the terrorists win.

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 04:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Guys think "Eagles of Death Metal" and Paris.....That is what this is about. It's not about Kansas backing out, it is about protecting those that might be harmed at a show filled with innocent people. Yea the guys from Kansas walking around any European city would be fine, no doubt.

Put them on stage, in front of 8-12,000 people in a closed environment and its a tragic event waiting to happen....That's the world we live in.
"American Rock Band Ignores US Travel Warning......hundreds die at one of their shows in Europe due to terrorist act."

8-12,000 people? It's Kansas. In Europe. It's not the second coming of Pink Floyd.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:00

Well said, you beat me to it.

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:04
I'll wear a floral dress if you get Kansas to bring in 1500 people a night. I'm sure they can gather 10000 folks in the States but here? Not even close.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:08
And also, what if Kansas doesn't come? They'll fill it up with another rock band because Europe knows full well that we are not at a point where you can't play a goddamn rock show. I myself have been at two shows and two festivals since that attack, boy am I daring to still go out in public like that!

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:13
Simon mentioned it earlier and I too have thought about this announcement as some kind of smokescreen for not selling enough tickets. This way the band retains it's pride.

Btw I am cancelling my tour of Russia due to the increase of bears. Damn...and to think I am disappointing all my fans in the Urals.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 06:15
Actually, It is Europe that cancelled the tour of that un-prog band from the Prairies: they're believed to be Trump supportersDead and NRA enthusiastsAngryOuch

The risks of dangerous and malevolent contagion was too great to risk European population health TongueBig smile

Posted By: Phaerdas
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 09:01
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Actually, It is Europe that cancelled the tour of that un-prog band from the Prairies: they're believed to be Trump supportersDead and NRA enthusiastsAngryOuch

The risks of dangerous and malevolent contagion was too great to risk European population health TongueBig smile

Lol, where did you find such info that they are trump or NRA supporters xD

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 09:39
Come on guys, it's obviously poor ticket sales, covered over with the security excuse. Hey, maybe the sales are so poor they can't afford security for themselves.

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 09:41
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Come on guys, it's obviously poor ticket sales, covered over with the security excuse. Hey, maybe the sales are so poor they can't afford security for themselves.

Must admit that was my first thought.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 10:27

^ You will get bold red ink......possibly be called a nut job urself. But I will stand by you and pepper spray anyone comes close.

Thank you!

As Oscar Wilde put it, "I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself."

-------------

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 11:53
Sorry but if there is a safe place in the world it is Europe.

I have been about everywhere in the world, and the only time I was in serious
trouble was in the USA. I actually woke up in my hotel room on the second day
I ever spent in the US with a gun hold to my head.

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 12:05

Of course there are, I know that...There are rock shows in every dangerous city in the world every night. And I agree there are arguments on both sides.
The "danger" is radically overstated. Terrorist attacks hit the news cycle hard precisely because they are rare; I see news stories about bands in safe-seeming cities in the US getting cleaned out because of people stealing their gear far more regularly than you get news stories about terrorist attacks in general, and major venues over here are generally very good at security and were even before the Bataclan incident, and have tightened things up since then.

Seriously; I live over here. The way some US media portrays Europe has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with promoting an action movie view of a world in chaos because that's what drives ratings, clicks and subscriptions. Frankly, there was far more hostility towards Americans over here back in the mid-2000s, after the invasion of Iraq, and I don't recall Kansas having any problems touring then.

This stinks of arse-covering. Maybe Kansas are genuinely blinkered enough to believe this, but as an international touring act I'd expect them to be a bit less provincial than that. My first guess was some sort of in-band drama, but ticket sales might have been an issue too - it's worth remembering that though they were pretty successful in the States, over here Kansas aren't really known for anything other than Carry On My Wayward Son, and many listeners only know that thanks to Guitar Hero.

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 12:17
^^ I've also traveled a lot, but never had anything like that happen to me.

The safest I ever felt was while living in Japan (south of Osaka). My then girlfriend and I would walk around the forested paths of lakes late at night and we never had the slightest concern for our safety. I've never felt that safe here in Canada. I lived in Australia too without incident.

I love Paris, and was never in physical danger, but I had to wear a money belt and was pick-pocketed (was blamed by Parisians I spoke to on the Roma - gypsies).

According to this list, Singapore is the safest country to live in, but scores badly for freedoms. Europe is the continent that has the most countries deemed safe.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/legatum-institute-2016-prosperity-index-safest-countries-2016-11/#1-singapore-the-asian-city-state-tops-the-2016-ranking-having-climbed-12-spots-since-last-year-it-is-worth-noting-that-it-scored-badly-in-the-personal-freedom-sub-index-coming-97th-23" rel="nofollow - Safest countries to live in

It really depends upon where in Europe and where in the US you are. Sweden is generally considered safe, for instance, but Malmo isn't (although the dangers there may be exaggerated due to anti-immigrant sentiments).

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 18:15
Originally posted by Phaerdas Phaerdas wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Lol, where did you find such info that they are trump or NRA supporters xD

They're from Kansas... Need we say mmore?? LOL

Everyone in Kansas voted Trump and owns gub-ns to shoot rats that are decimating the cornfields TongueBig smileLOL

Date Posted: May 13 2017 at 22:45
^^ Dude you can't say "danger" or "dangerous" you should say "unsafe" so people do not get scared too much or in panic mode! LOL

Please go to Monterrey Mexico in the state of Nuevo Leon, where they cut peoples heads off, the drug lords rule, they hang bodies from poles, they blow up nightclubs, take into the desert and you never are found and these are all their own people.

I have been there many times, speak the language very well, I am not Mexican but easily can fit in. I never go out at night nor would you ever catch me at a nightclub there or any concert....Why? Because it's fu**ing DANGEROUS, I don't understand how anything like that can be radically overstated.

How about this thought....Low ticket sales, if that was the issue, is because people are not interested in going to see an American band play in Europe because of the possibility of radical action, sorry unsafe conditions, and people will get hurt.

Sometimes a little common sense can save lives.

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 14 2017 at 18:34
I have a feeling they didn't sell enough tickets----does anyone in Europe want to see Kansas? Do people in Kansas want to see Kansas? lol I see them as maybe selling tickets in certain parts of the USA . No ticket sales so maybe couldn;t afford security except for a 75 year old retired traffic cop. Big smile

Date Posted: May 15 2017 at 06:50
^Publicity stunt then?

Date Posted: May 15 2017 at 07:39
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

over here Kansas aren't really known for anything other than Carry On My Wayward Son, and many listeners only know that thanks to Guitar Hero.
Yeah, that's how I first heard of them, and Rush. I can count with a single hand the times I came across any of their albums.

Date Posted: May 15 2017 at 09:03
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

over here Kansas aren't really known for anything other than Carry On My Wayward Son, and many listeners only know that thanks to Guitar Hero.
Yeah, that's how I first heard of them, and Rush. I can count with a single hand the times I came across any of their albums.
They don't have record stores on the Iberian Peninsula?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: May 15 2017 at 09:19
^ There are plenty. It seems they were quite popular in Spain though, all their albums had more than one Spanish pressing. The only album I have from them, POKR, was actually bought there.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 15 2017 at 09:44

How about this thought....Low ticket sales, if that was the issue, is because people are not interested in going to see an American band play in Europe because of the possibility of radical action, sorry unsafe conditions, and people will get hurt.

You think I better don't go and watch Suzanne Vega after having survived the UK for so long and Europe for my whole life?
Nonsense, seriously!

Date Posted: May 15 2017 at 10:31
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

You think I better don't go and watch Suzanne Vega after having survived the UK for so long and Europe for my whole life?
Nonsense, seriously!

You miss the point. No radical group will target the band Kansas, or Suzanne Vega...Why should they? Both of them can walk the streets of any big city in the world and nothing will happen except maybe the occasional pick pocket if they look like tourists..so we agree very little to zero chance anything will happen walking the streets.

The chances of something happening during one of their shows to the audience goes up, and please nobody is saying it is 100% chance, but there is a chance. No band or promoter wants their name attached to that possibility.
If ur upset because they cancelled a European tour because of radical actions there, ok I get it. I too would not understand how a band would cancel a show here in Seattle because they thought some radical group would cause havoc at the show.

I go to shows in small venues where there is little to no security check at the doors, yet go to a large stadium venue and you are passing thru metal detectors like you are getting ready to board a plane.

Like I said earlier, there are arguments on both sides......but you can't argue being safe.

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2017 at 10:59

...but you can't argue being safe.

Yes I can! Wink

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 15 2017 at 20:37
The thing is, there are still too many artists offering concerts all over Europe. I bet the ones cancelling because of this are nearly none of them. So, for Kansas to cancel, well, it will make just about no difference in security. It just makes no sense.

Date Posted: May 16 2017 at 09:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The thing is, there are still too many artists offering concerts all over Europe. I bet the ones cancelling because of this are nearly none of them. So, for Kansas to cancel, well, it will make just about no difference in security. It just makes no sense.

I agree, so I don't get all the pissing and moaning about Kansas....go see another show.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 16 2017 at 11:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LOL

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: May 16 2017 at 12:19
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Did they all join Toto?

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: May 18 2017 at 11:17
This news is the most idiotic thing I've heard in years.

Date Posted: May 22 2017 at 18:07
Lets hope this was not a terrorist attack, hoping it was a pyro malfunction or something similar.......I'll leave it at that for now.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/22/europe/manchester-arena-incident/index.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/22/europe/manchester-arena-incident/index.html

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2017 at 18:40
....and now reports of a controlled explosion by Manchester police, a device found......ughhh. Those poor parents and families..........
Phucked up world we live in....

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 22 2017 at 23:05
I have just switched the news on. Police are treating it as a terrorist incident. It was at a concert by some Grande woman I have never heard of, but at Manchester's main arena.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 23 2017 at 05:16
Awful news about last night's concert tragedy, what kind of person would target an audience of teenagers?

I was at a concert at a reasonable-sized, well-known venue in London last night and there was absolutely no security. There was a sign up saying you could only take one bag in per person but they only checked tickets on the door.

Date Posted: May 23 2017 at 08:51
I agree...why target an event populated by kids, why target ANY event???......I read some stuff from Ariana I cannot imagine how devastated she must be after last night.

Cowards.......

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2017 at 02:54
Apparently the terrorist was a bit of a misogynist. He disagreed with the lyrical import of Ariana Grande's music (according to evidence). Some notes were found and this conclusion was reached by the media.

Date Posted: May 25 2017 at 08:54
^And you.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 29 2017 at 12:49
After the news in Manchester, I suppose that KANSAS made a good call in terms of cancelling their tour.

But I have mixed feelings. 

It's easy to see why a group of folks would target some of the women in concert, when they are half dressed/undressed, and not covered ... is my senile way of looking at things, and seeing those concerts as a huge commercial potential and result is obviously a very big threat that will (eventually) split up the younger folks that know, or have seen the rest of the world. 

Thus, in many ways, I would rather the band went on their tour and say something nice and polite, and maybe send a nice prayer, or song, to those that have died ... because they loved music! Instead, the band cancels it all.

If this was (basically) due to the lack or sales in various places that were putting the whole tour on financial strains and straits, that's understandable ... but it should be ackowledged, rather than hidden, I think! However, that is my call, not the band's.

I'm not sure, that a rock concert is any safer than a soccer stadium in Europe, or a football stadium in America ... but the financial side of it, is something that you and I are not exactly aware of to be able to know/understand the reasons a bit better. 

But seeing what happened last week, is sort of like saying ... I told you so ... and that is kinda scary ... even though I do not think that KANSAS has any more chances of getting attacked, any more than many European bands that have a much stronger and louder political content, than we usually accept ... I'm, pretty sure we don't want Osanna, or Savage Rose ... or a few other bands ... get ripped apart the same way a concert did in England! Or worse, have one of our favorite bands, get torn up ... which makes Roger Waters, a very visible target, doesn't it?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 06 2017 at 01:56
Appears that the US government had actually got some viable intel ( for a changeTongue) . Sad that Kansas could not perform. I was lucky enough to see them at the Shepherds Bush Empire back in about 2004 and it was one of the best gigs I've seen especially for an 'ageing prog band'. They really went for it and Steve Walsh was near god like that night. Anyway I just hope that Europe and especially the UK can become a safer place to encourage bands to come in the future.

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: June 06 2017 at 05:15
FWIW, despite a terror attack happening in London over the weekend, the tribute concert for those killed in Manchester still went ahead.

It's scary stuff, but it's like school shootings in the US - they make a lot of media noise, but the chances of you personally getting caught up in it are remote. Nobody reports the thousands of US schools that didn't have a shooting today, nobody reports the millions of people in Europe who weren't involved in a terrorist attack today - same principle. It was much the same when the IRA were still actively bombing places.

(Incidentally, don't listen to Nigel Farage when he claims that a terrorist bombing in Manchester would have been unthinkable 20 years ago. Not only was it decidedly thinkable, but it actually happened - it was one of the last major IRA bombings before the peace deal.)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk