Print Page | Close Window

Damanek - New Band submission

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111454
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 14:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Damanek - New Band submission
Posted By: GuyM
Subject: Damanek - New Band submission
Date Posted: July 06 2017 at 05:07
New band. Website www.damanek.com
Reviews and info about the band found there

The Debut album by DAMANEK is called 
"ON TRACK"

Released May 15th 2017
gep On Giant Electric Pea (GEP)

Dan Mash - Bass

Guy Manning - Lead / Backing Vocals, Keyboards, Acoustic Instruments, Acoustic Guitars, E-Bow, Percussion

Marek Arnold - Saxes, Clarinet, Keyboards, SeaBoard

Sean Timms - Keyboards, Backing Vocals, Banjo 

Dan Mash
also plays with 'Maschine'', ''United Progressive Fraternity'
Guy Manning
also plays with 'United Progressive Fraternity'
Marek Arnold
also plays with 'Seven Steps to the Green Door', 'Toxic Smile', 'Cyril', ''United Progressive Fraternity'
Sean Timms
also plays with 'Southern Empire'

Other featured musicians/special guests:

Brody Thomas GreenDrums (on 1 to 6)[Courtesy of 'Southern Empire']
Tim IrrgangPercussion[Courtesy of 'United Progressive Fraternity']
Antonio VittozziElectric Guitars[Courtesy of 'Soul Secret']
Luke MachinElectric Guitars[Courtesy of 'Maschine', 'Kiama', 'The Tangent'']
Stephen DundonFlute (on 7)[Courtesy of 'Molly Bloom']
Nick MagnusKeyboards (on 3)[Courtesy of 'Nick Magnus']  
PhideauxVocals (on 8)[Courtesy of 'Phideaux']
Ulf ReinhardtDrums (on 8)[Courtesy of 'Seven Steps to the Green Door']
Chris CatlingGuitar (on 4) 
DavidBBacking Vocals 

Julie KingBacking Vocals 
Kevin CurrieBacking Vocals 
The Santucci Horns 
Eric 'Tooch' Santucci - Trumpet / Alex Taylor - Trombone (on 4 and 6)

Album CD design and artwork: Tony Lythgoe 

Website band logo and train picture: Antonio Seijas 

All music/lyrics written by Guy Manning

Mixed and Produced by Sean Timms 

Special arrangement created by Nick Magnus for 'The Cosmic Score' (thanks Nick!) 

Thanks to Mark 'Truey' Trueack for lyrical suggestions on 'Dark Sun'  

New Promo video for track "Long Time, Shadow Falls" on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRb-k5GbA-c

Replies:
Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 00:41
Do I need to do something else to get us added to the Artists roster?
Guy

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 04:36
Maybe add a hint to the thread title about suggested sub-genre e.g. symphonic prog?

Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 05:07
Not sure what it is tbh
Symphonic certainly in places, quite jazzy too

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 06:15
I haven't heard enough of this album to decide on genre, maybe whichever one Manning is in?

I must buy the album, heard a couple of tracks and it's really good.

Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 06:43
Thanks! I think so too :)

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 06:47
If it sounds anything like Southern Empire or United Progressive Fraternity then this is a must buy album.

I have to be honest Guy, I don't think that I knew that you were involved with UPF.  Definitely love your work with Manning and previously with The Tangent.

-------------

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 08:59
This is a brilliant album.   I'm a huge fan of everything Guys done!..........  :)

Posted By: yam yam
Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 11:42
Manning is here in Eclectic Prog...and that's exactly where I personally would send this suggestion off for evaluation. That Damanek belong on the site is absolutely without question. This is a superb album musically...and with some very inspired lyrics too, bearing in mind the direction that humanity, and indeed the World itself, seems to be heading.

Date Posted: July 20 2017 at 00:43
Yeah...a founder member of UPF, contributed to "Fall in love with the World" and then went out on tour with the band in 2014.
Having now released "On TracK" with new outfit DAMANEK, I am looking at things for UPF #2 before Damanek #2 activity starts in the Autumn

www.damanek.com for all info 

Thanks for all the nice comments  Smile

Date Posted: July 20 2017 at 04:32
Originally posted by GuyM GuyM wrote:

Thanks! I think so too :)

Not that you're biased at all Wink

I've ordered the CD and it's due to drop through my letterbox today. Big smile

Date Posted: July 20 2017 at 04:38
excellent...of course I am biased...but just basing it on all the lovely reviews we've had for it :)

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: July 20 2017 at 08:06
Definitely agree that Damanek belongs on the site. Not entirely sure the album's varied enough stylistically for eclectic prog in particular, but it's always a possibility. I might see if the crossover team is interested, too.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: July 21 2017 at 03:00
The album arrived yesterday and just listening for the third time, it's brilliant.

Guy, it may be the best thing you've done, some wonderful jazzy instrumental sections, great production and your best vocals I feel.

Not particularly eclectic but then I'm not very good at genres!

Date Posted: July 21 2017 at 05:57
Very glad you like it
I am very pleased with the overall sound...bound to be better as I did not produce it (Sean did)!
Please spread the word, we are up against the usual suspects and some big hitter releases right now and so need the support!
G

Date Posted: July 21 2017 at 06:03
Check out the PROMO Videos on our Damanek YouTube Channel too...they seem to be going down well too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRb-k5GbA-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r84uBiSV_c

Date Posted: July 21 2017 at 08:04
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Definitely agree that Damanek belongs on the site. Not entirely sure the album's varied enough stylistically for eclectic prog in particular, but it's always a possibility. I might see if the crossover team is interested, too.

I always get confused with the genres of eclectric and crossover with bands.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: July 21 2017 at 09:20
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

That's understandable, especially with modern bands, where there can be a lot of overlap. Here's the simple distinction:

Eclectic Prog: Prog that mixes together a wide range of styles and genres. 
Crossover Prog: Prog that has strong pop sensibilities/mainstream influences.

The tricky bit always arises when a band fits into both of these categories, i.e. they fuse together a wide range of genres, including pop music. In those cases the decision gets a bit more challenging and it comes down to weighing how much "pop" influence the band has relative to the other styles they incorporate.

In the case of Damanek, I hear a predominantly neo-prog sound, with some jazz stylings woven in. So although there is some diversity of style (which makes them eligible for eclectic prog in a sense), I think that the slick production and strong melodic appeal make the band better suited to crossover prog.

Hope that makes some sense. Smile

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: July 21 2017 at 09:47

Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

That's understandable, especially with modern bands, where there can be a lot of overlap. Here's the simple distinction:

Eclectic Prog: Prog that mixes together a wide range of styles and genres. 
Crossover Prog: Prog that has strong pop sensibilities/mainstream influences.

The tricky bit always arises when a band fits into both of these categories, i.e. they fuse together a wide range of genres, including pop music. In those cases the decision gets a bit more challenging and it comes down to weighing how much "pop" influence the band has relative to the other styles they incorporate.

In the case of Damanek, I hear a predominantly neo-prog sound, with some jazz stylings woven in. So although there is some diversity of style (which makes them eligible for eclectic prog in a sense), I think that the slick production and strong melodic appeal make the band better suited to crossover prog.

Hope that makes some sense. Smile

Thanks!....Smile

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 21 2017 at 15:30
When I was on the Eclectic team I worked with a slightly different model. I generally looked for acts that crossed at least three core Prog categories (what is a core category is debatable, but Crossover would not be one of them) without leaning overmuch to any of them. For instance, if a band was one part Symph, one part Electronic, and one part jazz-rock without being primarily any one of those then Eclectic. If it was those plus it had significant pop or mainstream elements than I might suggest Crossover, or if it was that and more avant-garde and experiemntal or "crazy" elements then I might suggest Avant Prog.

We used to have an Art Rock category before it was split and the first thing I tended to think of is, "Is this an Art Rock sub suggestion?" Of course I would aslo think, does this sound like acts in Ecletic? But that doesn't mean they have to sound like another band to go there, and some bands fit Eclectic better than others (seemed Crimson was the band I would reference most for Eclectic Prog).

Really it comes down to much the same thing and we find much the same results.

I agree with Magnum's opinion of the music. I wouldn't even consider Eclectc for it. I'd think Crossover first then if that failed Neo-Prog.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: July 24 2017 at 05:28
Have we got enough now to create the Band Entry?

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: July 24 2017 at 12:46
Sent to the Crossover team to take care of it

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: July 24 2017 at 16:53
I've added it to the Crossover chart, and I approve.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 05:29
Hi, any update on the Bands Submission?
Would be nice to get the page up so we can hopefully get some feedback
Please let me know
Cheers
Guy

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 07:52
So far only Scott has voted, and there are three other Crossover team members who need to vote before Damanek can be approved, and subsequently added. You can follow your evaluation here:  http://progfreak.com/Damanek-169021.html?path=pa/recent" rel="nofollow - http://progfreak.com/Damanek-169021.html?path=pa/recent . The chart will fill up as more votes are cast, and will also show when you have been 'cleared' and finally 'added'. I can't imagine there being any other outcome, but it might take a little while longer yet to complete the process.

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 08:04
Thanks...did  not know how the process worked...I will be patient :)

Date Posted: August 24 2017 at 00:46
Just letting you know I am writing DAMANEK #2 now, it would be nice to get the band inducted before that comes out :)
Ta

Date Posted: August 24 2017 at 07:20
The three 'yes' votes you have now just might be enough. Normally a band or artist can't be cleared in Crossover until all four members have voted (just in case the fourth vote is a 'no', which would normally result in a rejection), but the fourth member of the team currently has some pressing real life matters to take care of, and hasn't logged in to progfreak for about two months. The team is thus effectively operating as a three man unit at the moment, and so just might clear you based on the votes that they have now...but we have to wait to hear that from the horse's mouth, of course. Embarrassed

Date Posted: August 24 2017 at 07:21
Ok...np...thanks for the update!

Date Posted: September 06 2017 at 01:33
any more progress?

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 06 2017 at 03:07
http://progfreak.com/Damanek-169021.html" rel="nofollow - Cleared for addition 3 days ago.

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2017 at 03:16
Excellent news

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 01:54
DAMANEK Is now live - thanks very much!!

Here are what other reviewers have said:

"The level of ambition might make On Track unfocused and overblown. However, Damanek are too skilled to let that happen...this album is rich, disciplined and damn catchy. Rather than being depressing. its handling of dark themes makes it a stirring call to arms" PROG magazine 

"this is a really exciting and progressive album, and one that is not afraid to experiment. I think it represents an innovative step forward for the genre." ECLIPSED magazine 

"On Track is a highly satisfying album that has a number of outstanding qualities....it unpretentiously contains a number of finely crafted tunes that are accessible, yet are able to hold and maintain a listener's attention. These are sung with genuine passion and played with much skill and panache...I therefore, have no hesitation in recommending this very enjoyable release" DPRP 

"This is really great stuff! Enjoyable from start to finish, this is an easy recommendation to old and new fans alike" Jerry Lucky 

"With music/lyrics written by Guy manning channeled through Timms' masterful production sense, the band breathes unhurried spaciousness into 'ON TRACK' with gorgeous melodic themes and swirling instrumental crosscurrents folding ethnic and jazz motifs into predominant symphonic rock arrangementsProgression Magazine 

"I absolutely love the way this album flows in its understated way, the musicianship peerless throughout. The sequencing of the tracks is spot on and Manning's vision as composer, performer and lyricist has never been more perceptive. This is right up there as one of the top ten albums of the year contenders" Background Magazine 

"I have listened to it for a few weeks now and at every spin it just grows and grows on you...so dear friends, no time to waste, go buy this little masterpiece, I promise you won't be disappointed" ProgPlanet 

"Guy Manning has as progressive singer-songwriter with a love for narrative lyrics, released a lot of solo albums. Yet his name is not familiar to everyone. With Damarek, for which he wrote all the music and lyrics, he is on track for a promising career expansion" IO Pages 

"The music is tight and full of the quality you would expect from the players, but no one dominates in this and it feels like a complete piece of work...it bears playing and playing again" ProgRadar 

"I loved this record, without pretention, without artificially complexifying its purpose, has succeeded in giving a youthful stroke to the neo-progressive. The mix jazz / aor / prog is a total success and allows to discover musicians who were already known in other bands and styles. Only half of the songs written by the band are on this <On Track>, so we'regoing to have a new band on track. Next album please!" Koid9 Magazine 

"Dark Sun...forms a worthy conclusion for 'on Track'...only rarely has one experienced such a skill, which can unfold itself fully, but never lose sight of the song, just as rarely one has experienced jazz so beautifully" NeckBreaker 

"The call to arms comes in many guises. None, I suspect, have come with such sublime clarity of vision or such chilling emotional discernment than the passionately crafted debut album On Track from Damanek....On Track is, to my mind at least, possibly one of the most gracefully compelling protest albums of the 21st Century so far. Music matches mood, which in turn matches location, which in turn resonates with the sounds and rhythms best suited to the lyrical content of each song. It is a complex and spellbinding set of combinations which unassumingly delivers a provocative, sensitive and timely message for our time. We need to turn things around. We have to get back on track." The Progressive Aspect

"If we know how to take this record for what it is, a sincere and generous pop-prog manifesto, with consistent solos, we have the assurance of having with On Track an album that will be listened to with delight." Big Bang Magazine

"
Damanek is like a meeting of the minds.  When I saw the line up, I was absolutely floored.....This music is as classy and sophisticated as you will probably hear this year....Overall, Damanek’s debut is a complete success.  “On Track” is a refined trip down satire lane that I’ve really come to appreciate.  The list of performers is definitely impressive, but it is Guy’s writing skills that shine the most.  This is one debut that prog rock fans will love to devour." PROG MIND 

"On Track" is a warm and sympathetic album and the lyrics have a look that you want to embrace. There are numbers beyond dealing with social and economic issues with integrity that are usually related to mother earth and its inhabitants, but there is also room for a children's story speaking to the imagination" ProgWereld 

"Damanek is a new example of an excellent debut album that, far from confining itself to a neo-progressive pop-tinted, explores many territories, giving it a special colouring." WAVES 

"On Track consists of eight songs from sophisticated arrangements and full of charm that combine perfectly, an impressive technical ability with immortal hooks melodic in successive and different sonic landscapes." Via Nocturna 

"Beautifully packaged, well produced music second to none. Press the button on this one guys, it’s a must have!" The ProgMeister

"...the album is a real treat and will appeal to many by its delicacy, its artistic message and its musicality....do not be shy and buy without hesitation." Profil 

"Listen to the whole CD really great, which makes the group Damanek shows the whole world that times are mature and intelligent, played prog rock for discerning listeners not gone into oblivion" MLWZ 

"Guy Manning holds nothing back on this release and the band assembled musicians is top-notch" Prog 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk