Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111488
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 09:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A few Yes albums
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: A few Yes albums
Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 17:37
I just wanted to choose a few of their more controversial or less popular albums. 

Replies:
Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 17:59
Tales. Their very best I'd say.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 19:22
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Tales. Their very best I'd say.

Aye! I second this motion. Of the others, my next favourite would probably be The Ladder.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 20:17
Tales, The Ladder, Time and a Word. I also like the rest of the list, except for Open Your Eyes (I could never get into it).

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 21:08
other than Tales and Tormato ----the peak and the valley of classic Yes----the rest are all inconsistant and that is putting it mildly in some cases.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 21:10
Mostly weak albums for me. Tales from this set, mostly because of Revealing Science of God, which is really beautiful... the rest, I can't say it's bad, but I just don't have the patience for them (well, actually, if I do put the whole album and listen to it without doing anything else, yeah, it's an enjoyable experience, but I hardly give myself the time to do that). Time and a Word is OK, and Union has some few really great songs, though the rest is indeed underwhelming (as are the rest of the albums on the list).

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 21:36
Tales and Big Generator, because **** me 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 22:46
Tales is fantastic and Tormato is pretty good

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 23:29
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Mostly weak albums for me. Tales from this set, mostly because of Revealing Science of God, which is really beautiful... the rest, I can't say it's bad, but I just don't have the patience for them (well, actually, if I do put the whole album and listen to it without doing anything else, yeah, it's an enjoyable experience, but I hardly give myself the time to do that). Time and a Word is OK, and Union has some few really great songs, though the rest is indeed underwhelming (as are the rest of the albums on the list).

Well, yeah that was kind of the point. Everyone knows CTTE, TYA, relayer and one or two others. I wanted to choose the more controversial or lesser known albums. I didn't want to make it easy(no pun intended). Wink

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 09 2017 at 23:44
The Ladder, not bad.

-------------

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 04:31
Tales. One of Yes best work. I listen also to Tormato and Time and A Word. The other ones I listen only rarely. But Tales record here really shines...

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 04:54
Tales. The Revealing Science of God on its own is better than the entire content of all the other albums combined.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 08:48
Have to give the vote to The Ladder for this one.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 09:05
I think Tales is my favorite album ever.
Fight me.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 09:58
More interesting and insightful results would have been garnered here by excluding Tales'. As for this list, TALES'!

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 11:05
Voted for Tales for Rick's Mellotron parts alone.

Second place goes to Tormato, though!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 11:12
Time and a Word is my favourite here.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 12:06
Tales is Yes' crowning achievement and one of my top 5 prog albums of all time Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 14:06
Tales, and Time and a word as a close second

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 14:34
Big Generator for me. Tales never really worked for me.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 14:38
In my world it's axiomatic that any of the first seven albums beats anything that came after. TAAW is the weakest of the seven, so TFTO it is.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 15:25
Yep, tales.

-------------

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 21:10
Tales without any doubt!!

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 21:51
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, yeah that was kind of the point. Everyone knows CTTE, TYA, relayer and one or two others. I wanted to choose the more controversial or lesser known albums. I didn't want to make it easy(no pun intended). Wink

Yeah, well, it seems that including Tales made the poll very easy and one-sided.

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: July 11 2017 at 03:50
Indeed - the poll would have been more interesting as I would struggle to find a second choice after Tales - probably Tormato...

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 11 2017 at 09:46
Of those I would have to go Tormato. I could never fully get in to Topographic Oceans.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 11 2017 at 12:44
A skewed poll by including TFTO since so many Yes boys like that one.....imo I'd rather listen to Time and a Word for Then and Astral Traveler.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: July 11 2017 at 16:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

A skewed poll by including TFTO since so many Yes boys like that one.....imo I'd rather listen to Time and a Word for Then and Astral Traveler.

Seconded! 

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 11 2017 at 21:46
hard for me to understand if you are into progressive rock that you can't see the value of an album that screams prog like Tales---has so many powerful beautiful parts.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 12 2017 at 10:09
Easily, Tales. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 12 2017 at 14:52
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

hard for me to understand if you are into progressive rock that you can't see the value of an album that screams prog like Tales---has so many powerful beautiful parts.

You're right it does have some amazing moments on it. The problem for me is getting to them. It just fell like there is a lot of filler in between. Even Wakeman wasn't crazy about that album.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: July 12 2017 at 16:30
Time and a Word - I seem to listen to it more than any other Yes album in recent years, but that may be down to me exhausting all their Howe-Rickman-era albums. Still, I find the rawness and poor production a little irresistible, and tracks like "Clear Days" are glorious and can't quite be found in the same way later on in their career. Maybe its just the quirky string section that's touching me, but it overall strikes a solid balance between ambitiousness and keeping its signature sound from their enjoyable debut. Still tracks like Astral Traveler get on my tits and maybe The Prophet goes on a little too long, but it takes a lot for me to sit through TFTO now. I do love that record more than it's given credit for but the whole of side 1 on Time And A Word is pretty impeccable for me, and all those 90s records are garbage no offence;)

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: July 18 2017 at 17:54
Tales From Topographic Oceans

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 18 2017 at 18:16
An easy vote from me for Time and a Word, which to my purulent ears is Yes' most enjoyable album.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 23 2017 at 19:08
I thought that I'm part of the anti-Tales group but from this list I can't really pick anything else.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 19:50
Tales from this list. But definitely not my favorite Yes album, not even top 3. Might just squeak in my top 5(at number 5). 

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 02:14
Tales.

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 02:44
Taylor Swifts from Topographic Oceans is tedious to be sure, but the least unlistenable in this group of albums.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: scruffydragon
Date Posted: August 06 2017 at 04:14
If I had to choose just from the list it would be Tales followed closely by Time and a word. Tormato had a few good or interesting tracks but not a favourite. It is the last Yes album I listen to now and again. After that I tend to give up with their albums.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 06 2017 at 04:18
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Yep, tales.
Yep, Tales - easy peasy.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 06 2017 at 04:19
Tormato, then T&aW...

Tormato would be better than the relatively poor GFTO if Awaken was on another album.

Date Posted: August 06 2017 at 07:53
The only thing I don't like about GFTO is that "parallels" is too dependent on the organ. If it sounded more like the live version from Yesshows(ie synthesizer and not just organ)I would have no problem with it. 

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 14:15
Tales for me followed by Tormato, The Ladder and Time and a Word

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 19:32
Tales closely followed by Time and a Word.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 15 2017 at 21:59
Tales of course... with Tormato laying waste to the rest of the choices on account of some really great stuff on that album.... even with Wakeman's f**king Casio sounding keyboard trying to ruin it...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 00:24
Has to be TALES

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 11 2017 at 11:29
Tales... has plenty of votes, time to show Time and a Word some love, I'm quite fond of it being one of the first Yes albums I heard, together with The Yes Album. Long time ago, don't make me count... 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:58
Tales

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:52
Tales! Despite being a flawed diamond, when it shines (as it does on Sides 1 and 4) it does so very brightly.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:22
Time and a Word.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 13:46
Time and a Word for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 16:54
It's amazing how the OP picked every Yes album I don't like.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk