Subject: Yes or Yes?
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 07:45
choose your Yes

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Replies:
Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 08:46
Legacy Yes for me!!! ARW is too nasty and mean.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 08:48
Without Bruford there is no Yes.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 08:53
Option #3 comes closest. Yes requires the presence of Squire and Anderson, methinks.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 10:01
Haven't heard AWR so can't really compare. But Iassume there has to be more life there. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 10:28
ARW.
I think Rabin is the weakest link and much prefer Howe... but Anderson and Wakeman are the heart of Yes (and the sunrise)

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 10:37
Trevor is very far from being a weak link. It's just Steve Howe is (unsurprisingly) identified most strongly with Yes guitar-wise.

Odd that he plays in the tribute band with the name Yes while Yes are Yes?

Funny old world.

Their bass players are are good, very good indeed. But no Squire is not easy...

I wonder about those who might hear the Squire-less Yes first and then Yes with Squire and see what happens then. I look forward to the ARW Yes doing a new album. But the current Yes doing another...? Not really, not if Heaven And Earth is anything to go by.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 10:57
Yes really should call it a day, especially without Chris. ARW is obviously not meant to be a long-term thing.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 11:47
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yes really should call it a day, especially without Chris. ARW is obviously not meant to be a long-term thing.
You cannot say it better.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 14:36
Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 16:39
Option #3.
Trevor Rabid never fit Yes (for my liking, anyway).
If the line-up were to be Howe, Wakeman, White, Sherwood and Anderson, it may just pass for Yes.
I miss Chris. The very reason I bought a Ricky bass 27 years ago.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 20:05
WStinY

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 21:40
Rabin is no Howe and never will be---Yes is my fav band but I have given up on them completely---for me ABWH was great so I can do without Squire as magnificent as he was---but neither Yes right now is Yes---Yes for me is Anderson Howe----the great writing team that did the great Yes.
BTW if you listen to the recent NPR interview with Anderson done by Alec BAldwin --a huge Yes fan---you can hear the importance of Howe and ANderson collaboration---the Lennon and McCarthy of Yes---Jon wants to work with Howe again but whatever really went down---that will never happen.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 21:50
I'm not sure which one is best, but I would be more interested to see AWR. I saw Yes with Benoit and with Davidson, and I think they were better with Benoit (even if he struggled with Anderson's notes)... and I think they should never have changed Oliver to get Geoff Downes back. I would really love to hear Anderson and Wakeman playing Yes music, so I hope they come near me, but indeed Rabin doesn't sound very good trying to play Howe's parts (or changing them for something more suitable to his style).

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 04:59
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

You cannot say it better.

These . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 06:02
Yes

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 10:15
If you watch YouTube and see how bad rabin plays Howe---it's so bad I decided to pass on seeing them---and I'd be fine with never hearing Yes west again.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 10:19
Now that's just plain ridiculous.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 13:02
I've never had the chance to see any incarnation/spinoff of Yes, so it's tough to really judge since I have to base it on bootleg records or albums recorded 30+ years ago.

In terms of line-up, I think ARW win - Anderson and Wakeman of course get points for creating classic Yes records, Rabin is a very talented guitarist even though he is quite different from Howe (and has a tendency to overplay). I've heard about Alan White having trouble keeping up with the playing, so it's good that ARW does have a younger drummer who can handle that.

However, I do prefer the official Yes' approach to making a setlist - ARW is content with playing the same few standards that have been on Yes' setlists for years, with a few Rabin-era songs mixed in. Meanwhile, Yes is bringing back albums and songs that have been ignored for years (although I do find it odd when they play the entire Fragile album and Steve Howe is the only person who plays his own solo).

I'm easily swayed though, and if I were allowed to vote in these polls (I'm guessing there's a minimum post requirement?), I would vote for the official Yes because they are actually playing in my city, whereas it doesn't appear that ARW has yet to play Canada, and like most bands, seems to think that the 4th largest country in the world only has 3 cities.

Even Chris Squire has passed away, I don't think it's wrong for other members of Yes to continue on without him. They're doing what they love and keeping their music alive, which is wonderful. It's bittersweet that Yes is currently divided into two bands - on one hand, this could mean double the opportunities to listen to the music, but it's also sad that there are some conflicts between the members.

Posted By: freyacat
Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 13:34
When I see a poll like this, I do not take time travel back to 1973 as a choice which is open to me.

When I have seen Yes play with Benoit David and Jon Davison, what I have noticed most is the joy with which they play the music.  Also, the sound seems more true to the classics that the versions of Yes I went to see in the 90's.  I am glad that in 2017, a band named Yes is playing "The Revealing Science of God," and people are filling venues to hear it.

I haven't heard ARW in person, but I am glad they exist.  I am glad that Trevor Rabin is playing rock music again, and I hope they might consider composing some new music.  The videos I have seen sound inferior both in playing and in setlist to the present-day Yes experience.

Even though I have an undying loyalty to Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman, I must admit that the band playing under the name Yes is the most attractive musical experience available to me.

-------------
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 14:15
No Yes without Squire

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 18:30
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

No Yes without Squire

So that's a no then? 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 21:17
I only wish the band could form with the line-up used for Roundabout on the Hall of Fame thing (including Geddy Lee), that one would be the best way for them to go on.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: July 15 2017 at 10:39
I understand the point of view of some which think "Without Squire there is no Yes" and ( in part ) I agree. However, how said Forum Senior Member twosteves "Rabin is no Howe and never will be" ... Rabin is a great musician , but as  Squire was, Howe  besides be one of best prog rock guitar players, splits with Wakeman ( one of best... if not the best) keyboard palyers of prog rock, the most fantastic  moments of Yes music and in so many times  "steals" the scenery,! Rabin never can   make this !  To me Billy Sherwood fits in Yes better than Rabin ! On the other hand, Downes ( although is a good musician ) is very far from Wakeman, Moraz and even Khoroshev But, if I select one bass player for Squire's place my choice was Flash's bass player Ray Bennett ! Due so much contradiction, I can't choose one option !

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 20 2017 at 09:51
I Picked the ARW version but I have seen two versions of Yes without Squire ( ABWH & Steve Howe's Yes a few years ago) It's really not the same with out Chris. His presents was like no others.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 20 2017 at 16:35
No

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 02:22
No Chris Squire = Yes doesn't exist for me.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 02:26
I havenīt got any problems to listen Topographic Drama. To me Yes can go on forever, just because Wakeman has a son who can play like him, I believe others have too.

Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 21:24
^ I wish Oliver had stayed in the band. I think he was a better fit than Downes. Also, I don't buy the no Squire no Yes thing... for me Anderson is just as important, if not more so, to the sound of Yes than Squire. Ideally, they should be together in the band, but if there's no Squire, then Anderson will do just as well. Now, Yes without either Squire or Anderson is even more difficult to accept.

Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 22:34
^You canīt notice from the playing in the Topographic live that Squire isnīt there playing. Also Jon Davison as vocals is no problem to me. But of course it would be great, if for example Anderson and some of the Wakemanīs will come back to Yes someday.

Also, one think what every Yes-fan should think, Chris wanted them to continue.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 23:19
Personally, I think Steve Howe is just as important as Anderson and Squire as far as classic Yes goes. He may not have been an original member, but he made significant contributions to their best albums.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 00:03
I was just a moment before reading from the wikipedia about those two Yes and Yes, itīs really funny continuation to their funny story. Anyway I have never seen any kind of Yes, so really would like to see some of them or even both! And even Wakeman says "100% certainty of no reunions" I am not sure about that...

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 00:57
I’d like to see a new studio album from the current Yes with Sherwood. I have no problems with Billy, so it could be interesting. And I honestly liked Heaven And Earth quite a lot, not as droll as many say.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:31
Yes without Squire will never be the same. However, it will not stop me seeing both in concert in Gateshead/Newcastle in the next few months. However, they will have a 'tribute band' feel about them, sadly.

Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, White and Sherwood (I suppose) would do it for me (no disrespect to the others in the line ups, who are great musicians) - but the reunion isn't going to happen by all accounts.

Thought the Topographic Drama live release was reasonably good, though - with just a couple of tracks lacked a bit of bite. In hindsight Horn and Downes did a good effort on Drama.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk