Print Page | Close Window

Weakest track(s) on the album Who's Next?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111595
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 05:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Weakest track(s) on the album Who's Next?
Posted By: TexasKing
Subject: Weakest track(s) on the album Who's Next?
Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 14:20
I voted for two: My Wife and Going Mobile. These two songs were always dull to my ears. 

Your pick or picks? 

Replies:
Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 15:25
Getting In Tune. Yeah it's great and has a lot of dynamics, but the thing that grates is the "Getting in tune to the straight and narrow" line at the end where it sounds like they all come in at the wrong time.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 02:13
As far as one can speak of "weakest tracks": Going Mobile and My Wife.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 04:18
This is a tough one, because even the weakest track on WN would be the best track on WBN...

I think My Wife is the one I'm most likely to skip id I had to make the choice

Going Mobile would ne next.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 04:25
Are you people seriously considering Going Mobile?Confused
Tis the best tune there together with Bargain.

I can't remember the last time I didn't skip My Wife. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 05:48
I love "My Wife"! I can't find the CD, but a friend did me a requested copy of every Entwistle written track on one CD. It made an interesting listen! Even more than making a compilation of every Harrison written Beatles song.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 05:53
I think the general consensus would be that My Wife and Going Mobile are maybe the less stellar tracks on what is of course a brilliant album. The only niggle I have about the record is that Townshend's credulous devotion to his spiritual guru Meher Baba rears it's ugly head on a few occasions. Who didn't get fooled again Pete? (Apologies to David ^^ Wink yes, Going Mobile has a kinda catchy tune but the lyrics are a pile of 'hippy gypsy' w.a.n.k that their author probably regrets.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 05:56
Love every tune, but I guess Going Mobile is the weakest.

This is a great album. I need to give it another spin sometime very soon!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 06:10
Heh...I agree about the horrid lyrics accompanying Going Mobile but I think Pete laments the choice of guitar solo even more. At least at the time he thought it sounded way too much like a synth and he didn't want to go down that route with The Who. Personally I just really dig the almost Emersonian moog quality of it. One of the better solos from him and I quite like it when guitarists who perhaps aren't that technically proficient drape their sound in effects and pedals.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 06:10
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I love "My Wife"! I can't find the CD, but a friend did me a requested copy of every Entwistle written track on one CD. It made an interesting listen! Even more than making a compilation of every Harrison written Beatles song.

Interesting...

I did that for Harrison (well a selection of, anyways) in the 80's on a Maxell XL-IIS, and I went all the way until All Things Must Pass and including Badge on Cream's Goodbye album, as well
Clearly, during the later Beatles days, Harry Georgeson was my fave and most constant & consistent fab four songwriterClap

I doubt I would be as thrilled by an Entwistle selection, even including his solo works.

Ent's strengths in TW was being the arranger, and a very solid bass player, a good third voice (when needed). His second-fiddle (to PT) songwriting seems to be secondary (though one cannot disregard his compositions in TWThumbs Up) and the two albums where he's the main songwriter (FD and It's Hard) are the weakest albums of the band.

Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 06:16
The Ox was exactly that: a beautiful monstrous galloping ox on the bass. I am not really a fan of his songwriting but the man was a true force to be reckoned with. Thunderfingers indeed.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 02:29
Well I think Goin' Mobile is terrific. Great tune with a positive energy that surprises me. There aren't really weak tunes on it just some that are over shadowed by the usual suspects. Love Ain't For Keeping and Getting In Tune were voted but not for areal good reason. Who's Next is a sublime album and I prefer to think of it that way.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 03:20
Possibly (?) along with many music-lovers, I went through a phase of listening to The Who. They didn't grab me at all. I have respect for them, though I couldn't say I really liked anything from them. Oh well, my loss. Entwistle was a phenomenal bass player.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 04:35
This is probably a case of some good songs being made to look bad by 4 of the greatest rock songs ever recorded. I don't dislike any of them but I would probably agree with others about Going Mobile or My Wife.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 10:09
There isn't one! Probably their best album.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 10:49
Yeah, probably.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 12:25
I don't really think there is a weak track per se.....and My Wife is a great pop rock tune...imho.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 08:34
Tommy and Quadrophenia are the only Who albums I'll ever need.
Who's Next is pretty boring.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 12:47
^That;s interesting since I have always found parts of Quad boring.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 13:33
I quite like "My Wife", the song, not my actual wife -- which is not to say that I don't like my wife, but simply that I was referring to the song rather than my spouse -- but it's still my pick. Interesting to see the votes for "The Song is Over". I love that song, but I guess it might seem too schmaltzy to some

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 15:23
Can't think of one. It is such a great album.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 05:30
For the three people who think The Song Is Over is the weakest song on the album, you're out of your freakin' minds Confused

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: August 05 2017 at 13:12
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

This is probably a case of some good songs being made to look bad by 4 of the greatest rock songs ever recorded...

Have to agree. Who's Next? contains several of the biggest songs in Rock history. The remaining otherwise decent songs look lame by comparison.

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: August 05 2017 at 18:43

Love Ain't for Keeping, bland moment of an otherwise great record            

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 15:13
One of the greatest classic rock lps of all time.. end of..
I quite like 'my wife' but it IS the weakest song on the lp, HOWEVER it does have one of the things the OX was known for (apart from his thunderous Bass sound), namely excellent Brass arrangements! they sound so British Television circa 1972 which is how its supposed to sound.

Not a 'weak song' but my personal least favourite is 'Behind blue eyes'.. cant really say why, and I never skip it.

I love this lp, its a roller coaster of light and shade, loud and quiet. The Who were just like old british cars and bikes; when it was going well, it just roared along and yeah oil dripped out and bits fell off but you just topped it up, stuck the bits back on and roared off again!

'Rock is dead! Long live Rock'!!

-------------

Posted By: lostrom
Date Posted: August 29 2017 at 07:45
By accident, My Wife got 2 extra votes from me.

-------------
lostrom

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: October 15 2017 at 17:05
I used to think that My Wife was out of place on the album - its production seems murkier as if the vocals are underwater......it lacked that significant something that made the rest of WN so memorable.  With the release of the song on of live bonus tracks and bootlegs, it seems that My Wife came alive live.  

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 14:04
There's some great extra tracks on the CD versions (which being a luddite, I only came across relatively recently); some of the Lifehouse / 'Record plant' sessions with Leslie West from Mountain are just thunderous- their version of the old Marvin Gaye song 'Baby don't you do it', 'Naked Eye' & 'Water' are fantastic!

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: October 25 2017 at 06:29
My Wife. It's "ok", just doesn't really do anything for me. I guess "meh" best describes it.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 04:18
Trick question. None, it's one of rock's rarities. A perfect album.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 16:38
My favourite Who album - and I don't feel the need to skip a single track - as it just flows through from start to finish with lovely changes in mood and tempo. On their own I know a few songs wouldn't hold up as well - but on the album... no real issues.

I know, like the magician asking you to pick a card, we are expected to choose My Wife - but it is such an innocent, cheery little number, it would be churlish to pick on it! Love that horn riff when it kicks in anyway! Bah-Bah! When music raises a little smile, it's doing something right. If I had to choose, it would reluctantly be Love Ain't for Keeping - maybe just because it flows over me slightly more than others,

You'll be asking us to discuss 'Harold the Barrel' and 'We have Heaven" next! Never!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: November 05 2017 at 19:31
Going Mobile

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: February 03 2018 at 07:55
Can't say there's a weak track on WN, but I do wish they'd have found room for Naked Eye on the album.  Ever since first hearing it on the Odds and Sods LP, you just knew it was that songs' proper home.   

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 03 2018 at 12:15
What! Love Ain´t For Keeping got 18 votes! One of my favourite Who songs! No, I don´t vote this, this is just ridicilous. Next somebody makes "Weakest tracks of Foxtrot"-poll!

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: February 03 2018 at 17:22
First and last songs are just standard riff tracks. Bit boring.

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: February 03 2018 at 17:22
Going mobile is the only one I enjoy a fair bit 

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 03 2018 at 17:48
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

LOL  that is like saying 6ft blonds with large mammary glands  f**k me eyes and strong oral fixastions are standard off the shelve women.. and a bit boring.... 

hah different strokes for different folks I suppose

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 03 2018 at 23:03

I quess they´re going that for being in those Police TV series, also I think they´re playing a lot in the radio channels still today. To me they are still great tracks, because I watch tv and listen radio very little. Of course heard them quite much all those many Who live albums, but anyway I am not still bored to them.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 02:33
My Wife.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 18:19
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

By accident, My Wife got 2 extra votes from me.

Plus one vote from me which meant to go to Going Mobile. Not a bad song actually which doesn't deserve to be the worst track. The opening chords of Going Mobile reminds me too much of The Kinks.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 18:25

I must like standard riff tracks like those then. I'm also a sucker for Jumping Jack Flash, Satisfaction and Honky Tonk Woman, which are also standard riff tracks.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 21:27
I don't believe there's a weak song on the album. Some are just so incredibly epic, the others get lost. One of the greatest rock albums ever made.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: February 05 2018 at 01:07
The Dark Elf and I agree.   Not a weak track in sight.  My Wife is winning/losing the poll yet My Wife holds a special place in my heart.  Anyone with a sense of humor and a friend running from an insane crazy woman feels sympathy for John Entwistle and can appreciate My Wife.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk