What two prog tracks changed your life?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111623
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 04:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What two prog tracks changed your life?
Posted By: condor
Subject: What two prog tracks changed your life?
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 10:04
1 starless - King Crimson
2 minstrel in the gallery - Jethro Tull

Replies:
Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 10:20
Locomotive Breath
Roundabout

These tracks led me away from the popular to the adventurous.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 10:51
Hmm, lots.

Igor Wakhevitch - "Materia Prima"
Comus - "Winter is a Coloured Bird"

Was going to mention Soft Machine's "Moon in June" too

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: scruffydragon
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 11:53
I agree with Logan by saying lot's.Far too many pieces have touched my life as I grew up.Brick in the wall comes to mind during the period of school riots,it became our anthem.
But a lot of head scratching later and I could pick a couple of pieces with great difficulty. Primary school I was exposed to Music Inspired By The Snow Goose by Camel. It is a creative piece of music and I feel much more creative and productive when I listen to it, and it brings back good memories of PE lessons and Art in primary.One of our teachers was with it and rather hip in the 70's and he introduced the class to this record.

The other piece of music I literally found laying in the gutter. It was a single by Renaissance called Northern lights/Opening out.Don't know what it was doing in the road, perhaps somebody used it as a Frisbee, but it came home with me and it got played to death. I still love that tune today some 40 years later.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 12:02
Prog?

A Hard Rain's a-gonna Fall
Like a Rolling Stone

-------------

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 12:42
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
The Residents - Third Reich & Roll (the part that was shown on Whistle Test in 1980)

These made me realise I could do it myself, and thus they changed my life.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 13:42
Comfortably Numb got me into prog in the first place.

Octavarium got me into modern prog.

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 13:58
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Comfortably Numb got me into prog in the first place.

Octavarium got me into modern prog.

I like both of these.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 16:16
Lucky Man - ELP (1st time I ever heard a synthesizer)
Fracture - King Crimson (1st Crimson track I ever heard...bought 3 KC albums in the next 3 days)

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 18:57
Vangelis - Pulstar
Magma - De Futura

These 2 pieces were the ones that broke through all the conventional boundaries for me.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 20:28
I'm not really sure. I'll say these two though:

Gates of Delirium
Supper's Ready

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 21:20

Genesis -Cinema Show/ Firth of Fifth hooked me on prog (not the first prog stuff I heard), Fantasy's Alanderie and Memoriance Et après showed me how great prog can be. I know I said 4 not 2, I couldn't help it

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 21:50
The Lamia
Soup and Old Clothes

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 01:49
Atom Heart Mother Suite
Man-Erg

Posted By: The Guy
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 02:42
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. 1-5)
I Talk to the Wind

I talk to the wind especially took me into the prog rock genre but Shine On is my favourite song ever.

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 03:43
These two come first to my mind

"Arrow"  - VDGG
"The Revealing Science of God" - Yes

Posted By: Darious
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 03:57
I'm pretty cliché here: Supper's Ready and Close to the Edge.

-------------
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 04:05
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygène pt.2
Pink Floyd - Echoes

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 11:26
Probably something like Roundabout & Turn it on Again.
 Entry level stuff but they got the ball rolling for me.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 12:25
Yes' South Side of the Sky which showed me how truly adventurous prog could be and Crimso's One More Red Nightmare, as distinct a sound as any prog outfit could conjure. Both are evergreens for me and never grow tiresome. I'm left wanting more.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:13
Tarkus
Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1&2)

Posted By: aliano
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 02:29
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

"Arrow"  - VDGG

Totally agree with Arrow. Though most Hammill lyrics are inspirational to me. Particularly, the Still Life album can be regarded as a philosophical essay.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 03:34
Not sure about changng my life, but very early on in my rock listening days, the two tracks that changed the way I thought about music were..

Dance on a volcano by Genesis
Xanadu by Rush

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 03:45
I've been thinking about this thing for a while now......
Many things have shaped me into the douche I am. 2 songs ain't gonna cut it, I'm afraid......
I'm changing all the time.........

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 04:39
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

"Arrow"  - VDGG

Totally agree with Arrow. Though most Hammill lyrics are inspirational to me. Particularly, the Still Life album can be regarded as an philosophical essay.

Ditto Thumbs Up

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 06:14
The two Triumvirat suites Illusions On A Double Dimple, and Mister Ten Percent; it is what really started me on my interest in, and love of, progressive rock.

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 06:32
It all depends on the drugs you take whilst listening.....

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 07:25
On a second thought ...
"Time" - PF
"Thick As A Brick" - JT

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 10:22
2112 got me here
Where Dragons Dwell by Gojira got me to like extreme vocals

EDIT: I can't count. Top two are most important but I like these too.
Quartermaster by Snarky Puppy got me into jazzier stuff
Part 1 by The Fierce and the Dead got me into post rock

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 11:27
Beatles-She Loves You.
Beatles-I Want to Hand Your Hand.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 11:28
I don't really know. In my younger days around 1980 when I was just really discovering rock music it would probably have been stuff like Yours Is No Disgrace, Roundabout, or A Day In The Life. On the other hand, I've always loved Steely Dan so it could have been almost the entire Aja album. And then there's Rush. Xanadu, Hemispheres, 2112.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 16:08
Two prog tracks....? I don't think any 'changed my life'.....but early on I was really impressed with early KC and Yes.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 17:39
Pick any two out of The Wall and you have your answer. Whole album changed my perspective on music in general.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 18:58
"In the Court of the Crimson King" got me hooked on the sound of the Mellotron...

"The Revealing Science of God" compelled me to drop out of my pre-medical school education path and pursue environmental science studies in college.  

I told this to Jon Anderson backstage in Chicago, he gave me such a sweet smile!  Thumbs Up

This is my latest work....let them rape the forests??  Over my dead body!! 

http://www.google.com/patents/US9593300" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/patents/US9593300

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 08:57
Heart Of The Sunrise
Tarkus

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 17:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

"The Revealing Science of God" compelled me to drop out of my pre-medical school education path and pursue environmental science studies in college.  

I told this to Jon Anderson backstage in Chicago, he gave me such a sweet smile!  Thumbs Up

http://www.google.com/patents/US9593300" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/patents/US9593300

Yep, that's a pretty powerful piece alright. Very happy to see how constructively it's inspired you! Clap

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 19:51
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Yep, that's a pretty powerful piece alright. Very happy to see how constructively it's inspired you! Clap

Thank you very much!  I miss the powerful messages that prog used to convey...."Epitaph" by King Crimson was another inspiring work, and "Gates of Delerium" was a powerful anti-war message.  

Rock in general seems to have lost much of its activist edge...unless I'm missing something?  Haven't heard a lot of it in the newest batch of music of any genre.  Thoughts?  Sounds like a new thread is needed....

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 20:20
1 Funural for a friend/love lies dying - elton john - first song i ever heard, 1989 i was 2-3 years old

2 Sheltering Sky - King Crimson

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 08:33
Manfred Mann's Earthband - Circles

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (if that's two tracks, pick any side)

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 20:21
Legend of a Mind - Moody Blues (1968)
I've Seen All Good People - Yes (1971)

The Moodies caught my interest and Yes reeled me in. Wink

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: August 06 2017 at 11:36
I don't think any song really changed my life but Hocus Pocus and Focus' Moving Waves album opened musical doors. Perpetual Change ( Yessongs version )  was the first real progrock song that I really dug after that. .  

Date Posted: August 06 2017 at 23:07
Thinking of this topic in all seriousness.......
If I go all the way back, I'd have to say, not really 2 singular tracks, but, when I watched Floyd's Live At Pompeii, I was totally sold on the idea of 'long songs and instrumental stretches'. Shortly after, I received Atom Heart as a birthday gift. Then I discovered Genesis' Trick of the Tail album. Dance On A Volcano solidified my musical future.....

Posted By: Arnulf Floyd
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 02:04
Close to the Edge by Yes and Echoes by Pink Floyd, both masterpieces what changed my life

-------------
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 04:55
Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth.....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 15:27
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

If I go all the way back, I'd have to say, not really 2 singular tracks, but, when I watched Floyd's Live At Pompeii, I was totally sold on the idea of 'long songs and instrumental stretches'. Shortly after, I received Atom Heart as a birthday gift.

Hey, that's cool! After watching Pompeii I became a proghead too and my first CD was Atom Heart Mother...

Two tracks that changed my life? Echoes and Atom Heart Mother. Add BMS, Il Giardino del Mago.

-------------

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 10:10
Yes - The Gates of Delirium
Gentle Giant - Cogs in Cogs

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 11:18
Tarkus
Starship Trooper

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: August 13 2017 at 10:48
Roundabout
Endless Enigma

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 13 2017 at 16:23
pffff...  just like prog fan...  music doesn't change your life it merely accentuates it.. the good or the bad. When you are depressed you put Floyd on.. when ready to kick ass and chase pussy you put on some RATT!!!!  Of course it is women, not music, which change our lives but they don't know what those are do they so music must suffice. Poor sods..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: August 13 2017 at 18:14
1/In the Court of the Crimson King, which I heard in my parents backyard in 1969 on WNEW FM, Scott Muni's Friday afternoon show Things from England.  That migrated my interest to UK prog whereas previously I'd mostly been a fan of US West Coast folk/rock & blues/rock.  I wouldn't even call that my favorite KC track now, because I'm more partial to the Discipline quartet and the Double Trio, but no other KC since has had that level of influence.
2/Next, I'd have to pick Hope for Happiness, which I heard early in 1970 in my new friend Mike's attic in a heavily altered condition.  That track (in fact, the entire Soft Machine 1 album) resulted in me being more interested in avant and dada prog than in the symphonic prog of Court.  It isn't a stretch to suggest that absent that album, I wouldn't have discovered Henry Cow and gone the whole R.I.O. route.

Posted By: Enchlore
Date Posted: August 14 2017 at 20:21
Supper's Ready and 2112 were the songs that got me specifically deep into prog. Before that I just listened to some prog bands without actually getting into the genre as a whole.

-------------
If you like King Crimson, come over to the KC Discord server! https://discord.gg/6AYBxBD

Date Posted: August 14 2017 at 21:18
As Dylan says : " We're a changin' all the time ".
Just 2 tracks in recent years changed my way of thinking in many ways ;
Meshuggah - 'I'
Anthrax - 'Among The Living' track of the same album.
............totally sold me on the extreme way of things,
Of course, loved Magma and VDGG for decades, and Maiden have been in my life for over 30 years, but........

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 16 2017 at 00:35
Baba O'Riley because it got me interested in prog and then Tarkus solidified my interest and made me an ELP fan for life. 

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 00:18
hmmm this isn't an easier questions to answer due to the ageless timeline of mine being a hopeless nature of my own jagged jaded journey to self focus on the music which I alone found for my self! older families members passing on there choices which ranged from Genesis Tull Yes ELP ect so it a two pronged answers so its:

Genesis = Supper`s Ready
Marillion = The Web  

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: August 28 2017 at 14:59
Tool - The Grudge when I was 14 (and the whole "Lateralus" CD). Never experienced anything like that (already having heard PF, The Doors, 'Tallica) before, still my favourite Tool song.

Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear two years later, perfect for teen angst and heartbreak. This album also convinced me I must be on stage, playing guitar and touring the world. Well this is what I do for living now, typing this from my Kyiv apartment mere days after my band returned from our second South American tour...life is full of wonders indeed

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: August 28 2017 at 16:16
Klaus Schulze's "Synphära" and "Conphära" from his album "Cyborg". It is the music Jean and I first made love to. Embarrassed

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Nomadic
Date Posted: August 28 2017 at 16:20
Yours is No Disgrace
Cygnus X-1

-------------
http://nomadichorizonband.com

Posted By: progrockrob
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 08:32
Uriah Heep - July Morning, which was recommended by Fenriz from Darkthrone when I was still into my Black Metal era. The long synth/guitar mixed solo blew my mind as to how structured song layers could be so intricately put together.

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet, which was recommended to me by a musician whose worked with Steven Wilson as a session guitarist as we were chatting after a local gig. That was my first real introduction into prog-rock outside of simple curiosity.

Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 13:28
Wink Thanks for all the recommendations.

Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 05:16
Oops, already answered this!

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Alchimicus
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 13:02
Heart of the Sunrise, and... Welcome to the Machine.

-------------
I like green and magick.

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 18:48
I think changed is maybe a bit much - I'd throw into the ring as things that have had a big impact

Me and My Woman - Roy Harper
Les Porches Du Notre Dame - Maneige

Posted By: Insighter
Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 03:23
• Karn Evil 9
• Illusions On A Double Dimple

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 05:16
YES - "Yours is no Disgrace"

King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man"

Posted By: Chula Vista
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:43
Close to the Edge
Supper's Ready

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:55
"Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Bennie and the Jets"

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:59
Balletto di Bronzo - Introduzione
Osanna - Animale Senza Respiro

oh yeah... now those completely changed my life... some of you can figure out or know just how much. Heart

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: hotties4jesus
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 22:53
Heart of the Sunrise
Tarkus

Posted By: Mystic Mamba
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 14:51
1. The Flight of Cassandra - Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Amazon MP3 exclusive, look it up, it's arguably their best and proggiest song)

This led my mom to introduce me to...

2. Close to the Edge - Yes

I've never looked back since!!!

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 16:00
1.  Vangelis - Pulstar
2.  Tangerine Dream - Kiew Mission

The topic heading asks for tracks (so I supplied them), but it was really the two albums (Albedo 0.39, Exit) these tracks come from, that totally transformed my ears/head/heart/life.   

Posted By: piccolomini
Date Posted: September 20 2017 at 13:15
The ultimate life changers

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: September 20 2017 at 13:34
Originally posted by Chula Vista Chula Vista wrote:

Close to the Edge
Supper's Ready

Took my tunes!

It is beginning to amaze me how many people of how many ages across what is now so much time choose these musics. If I didn't know any better, and I don't, I'd say I smell a faint whiff of, dare I say it?

Immortality.

'Course I could be wrong. It's happened before, and it'll happen again.

Warm regards,
Frank

Posted By: Zappy
Date Posted: September 20 2017 at 13:36
Yes - The Revealing Science of God
The Flower Kings - For Those About To Drown

Posted By: aldri7
Date Posted: October 21 2017 at 19:07
meeting of the spirits - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Fountain of Salmacus - Genesis

aldri7

Date Posted: October 21 2017 at 20:55
Yes- Gates of Delirium

I have to think about the other one. I guess I will go with (drum roll here)....................

Genesis- Supper's Ready

A few runners up would be:

Heart of the Sunrise
Larks tongues in aspic (part one)
The Revealing Science of God
Cinema Show
Firth of Fifth
Close to the Edge

To be honest I'm not sure any really changed my life but some of them certainly got me more interested in prog.

Date Posted: October 21 2017 at 20:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not really sure. I'll say these two though:

Gates of Delirium
Supper's Ready

Hah! I guess my taste and perspective hasn't changed much in the past two or three months. I suppose those had the biggest influence on me but in general Yes, Genesis and KC were the first bands I really got into that I knew were prog followed closely by Rush, Pink Floyd and the Moody Blues. I had one ELP album around the time I was still pretty new to prog but for some reason didn't get more into them until a bit later.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 22 2017 at 08:24
Hi,

None, and all of them.

Music has been around me, and I around it, from day one, and even my dad was known to write poetry to famous pieces of music, and was published in quite a few languages. It was no surprise to hear something playing loud and eventually you caught on to it, and its feeling.

Popular and Rock music, eventually added to it, a style and feeling that is controlled and not allowed to flourish in classical music, with emotion being tied up in knots left and right, and only being clear in highs and lows on the register in arias, for example, which rock music blew apart, but the classical music folks, today, still can not get out of their old ways, and embrace the new things, and incorporate them.

As a fine example, listen to the orchestra version of 200 Motels, and specially the whole choir piece in the end, to get an incredible idea how one can turn what appeared to be a mess hall in the film, all of a sudden explodes as incredible composition and performance, that few of us are able to sit through. On top of it, it was almost like ... the choir doing the things they ever wanted to do in pieces of music that were not half as well written or as good as this one! Fun stuff!

For me, it was always an evolution, regardless of what we call it, and try hard to separate it from its source and inner father/mother!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: thosava
Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 11:05
I have two songs that are almost polar opposites.
Wish You Were Here and Octavarium

It's probably debatable how prog it is, but the first song from a prog band i heard was Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. We were going to learn to play Wish You Were Here on guitar (not the solos) at school. I instantly fell in love with that song, which led me to check out more of Pink Floyd and gave me a first taste of prog.

A couple of years later I was on the lookout for long songs specifically. I had always naturally gravitated towards the longer songs by every band i had listened to previously (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Iced Earth etc.) When I discovered Octavarium I knew I had found something special. A 24 minute journey with both rock and metal parts and a crescendo unlike anything I've heard before or since. This was when i realized prog was "my" music.

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 14:24
Originally posted by thosava thosava wrote:

I have two songs that are almost polar opposites.
Wish You Were Here and Octavarium

It's probably debatable how prog it is, but the first song from a prog band i heard was Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. We were going to learn to play Wish You Were Here on guitar (not the solos) at school. I instantly fell in love with that song, which led me to check out more of Pink Floyd and gave me a first taste of prog.

A couple of years later I was on the lookout for long songs specifically. I had always naturally gravitated towards the longer songs by every band i had listened to previously (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Iced Earth etc.) When I discovered Octavarium I knew I had found something special. A 24 minute journey with both rock and metal parts and a crescendo unlike anything I've heard before or since. This was when i realized prog was "my" music.

Two great songs.  I always thought that the opening to Octavarium was an homage to WYWH.  When my 3 year old daughter, who was being forcibly indoctrinated with her father's musical tastes on daily journeys along the M4 to nursery (crime?), piped up that it sounded like "the pink one", I felt it had been reliably confirmed...

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 16:20
The Musical Box by Genesis - played the album Nursery Cryme non-stop on Christmas Day in the early 70s in the room with the old stereo and read the lyrics and perused the artwork till it was etched into my mind forever!

Space Truckin' by Deep Purple - the extended Made in Japan version. Had to listen to it in the dark to get the full effect as Blackmore, Lord and Paice transported me into interstellar space! Always loved it when the stunned Japanese audience realised, after a pause, when the journey was over!

Honourable mentions for the All the Worlds a Stage's versions of 2112 and By-Tor and the Snow Dog by Rush which started a life-long love of the band, cemented by Xanadu and Hemispheres Side 1 a little later!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 16:26
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

YES - "Yours is no Disgrace"

The first song I played on my old cassette player after my parents left me in my student flat on my first day at University. Every time I hear it I'm transported back to that rites of passage moment!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Ulver48
Date Posted: October 24 2017 at 01:15
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 
The greatest song I have ever heard. 

King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King 
The song that made me fall in love with prog rock when I was a teenager. 

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: October 24 2017 at 14:24
Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace (got me into prog)

Transatlantic - All Of The Above (got me back into prog after lapsing and also introduced me to The Flower Kings and all things connected with Neal Morse)

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: October 24 2017 at 23:38
So many mentions of Yours Is No Disgrace put me in mind of the distant past. Hearing this song, Yessongs version and studio, along with Starship Trooper, not being even aware if they were not only the same songs but the same band and yet certainly knowing that I asked myself, "Who ARE these guys?!"

I may be in this thread already and I stick by whatever I may already have said, yet I also recant!

These were the songs, man. These were the songs.

Eventually buying The Yes Album, then not too much later Yessongs made all things clear to me.

"Ohhhhh! These are those guys!"

And a lifelong love affair had been firmly established.

-------------
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: October 25 2017 at 15:37
Various lps and tracks have had a particular impact, effect or importance in my life but yesterday I remembered an event in which two lps played a very important role. In the early 1990's I had sold / given away most of my record collection, had a divorce, been made redundant and moved house and had been suffering a major depressive episode; whilst visiting a small second hand store, I was suddenly inspired to buy a batch of cheap lps one being 'Voyage of the Acolyte' by Steve Hackett and 'Once Again' by Barclay James Harvest. I pulled out my hardly used record deck and amp and put them on.. it was as if someone had turned a light on in my head and the upward, outward journey began.. it could probably have been any of my favourite classic lps, on vinyl, but the effect at the time was profound.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 25 2017 at 16:04
Probably

King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic Part 1
Discovered that there was prog radically different from Yes, Genesis & Jethro Tull

Univers Zero - Dense
Opened up a whole world of Avant / RIO / Zeuhl and then an exploration of all things odd and edgy.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: tigerfeet
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 20:37
Nine Feet Underground (Caravan) - all my friends were into punk and new wave - but when i managed to get them in the right mood ... i certainly converted a few miscreants

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd  First song i just had to learn to play on guitar (sorry Led Zep)

Posted By: jeromach
Date Posted: October 28 2017 at 12:15
Kandy Korn - Captain Beefheart

Cardiacs - Dirty boy

Kandy Korn taught me odd sounding music could both be very structured AND beautiful, it opened my ears to so much other non mainstream music; listening music phase II.

Dirty boy as high point of the album Sing to God, which at first I could not place correctly until it hit. And hard.

-------------
I don't have a signature

Posted By: QuantumMusic
Date Posted: October 28 2017 at 15:37
The Lamb lies down on Broadway - Genesis
Got me into prog and the distorded bass riff really turned me on to play more bass

Blackest Eyes - Porcupine Tree
Is what got me into Porvupine tree, modern prog and prog metal

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: October 28 2017 at 20:10
Yes- Starship Trooper. Rarely a day where I dont think of it at least once.

Tarkus. ELP. That's too awesome not to mention.

-------------

Posted By: donmikey
Date Posted: October 29 2017 at 15:26
Yes - It can happen (the 1st Yes song I've ever heard)
Pink Floyd - Money (the 1st floyd song I've ever heard)

Posted By: ClaudeV
Date Posted: October 29 2017 at 22:51
Surprised to see so many stuff hard to get into being named as life changers. Prog changed my life a lot, allowing me to understand how much efforts and learning you sometime need to do to really be able to get into some pieces of art. For me getting into prog was a gradual thing. The two songs that helped me when I was 14 to become a prog lover were:

ELO: Roll over Beethoven
Styx: Suite Madame Blue

Both songs still had this basic rock element, but Roll over Beethoven showed that two different styles could coexist in a single song to good effect, and it was the same with Suite Madame Blue with a clear change of mood and style within a same song, but both song had this catchy pop rock element to it.

So it would have been impossible for me to get into prog directly with a song like Childlike Faith by VDGG or Supper's Ready by Genesis or any other complex and challenging piece.

Posted By: bender99
Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 04:46
I'm going to cheat a little bit here because I really have 4 songs which were influential in shaping what I listen to, oddly always separated by 10 years give or take.

1987 - Learning To Fly, Pink Floyd.  Hardly the best introduction to Floyd, but still a huge step-up from the crap I was listening to at the time. Of course I had no idea who they were, and some older co-workers soon lent me all of their classic albums. Besides Floyd, this lead me to discover groups like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Who etc

1997 - Roundabout, Yes.  Never heard of the group, took a chance and bought Fragile based on the album cover. Never looked back at that point. Yes became my favorite band, and in turn I discovered Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull etc.

2009 - Bless the Child, Nightwish.  Struggling to find any music outside the 70's that I really liked, I heard this song in a video game of all places. Liked it enough to explore the symphonic-metal genre, and soon had Epica, Opeth, and Therion added to my collection, and more importantly, Dream Theater, which would become my favorite modern-ish group, and eventually lead to my last discovery.

2017 - The Whirlwind, Transatlantic.  Looking for Dream Theater related stuff on you-tube, came upon this... and bore done day, decided to play it. One minute in and I was hooked, I needed to know who this group where these guys had come from. Unsurprisingly, from that I branched out.. Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings.... then somehow ended up on this website, and now have added IQ, Eloy to the list. 

I've bought more cd's this year alone than in the previous 10 I reckon Thumbs Up

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 09:26
Originally posted by bender99 bender99 wrote:

I'm going to cheat a little bit here because I really have 4 songs which were influential in shaping what I listen to, oddly always separated by 10 years give or take.

1987 - Learning To Fly, Pink Floyd.  Hardly the best introduction to Floyd, but still a huge step-up from the crap I was listening to at the time. Of course I had no idea who they were, and some older co-workers soon lent me all of their classic albums. Besides Floyd, this lead me to discover groups like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Who etc

1997 - Roundabout, Yes.  Never heard of the group, took a chance and bought Fragile based on the album cover. Never looked back at that point. Yes became my favorite band, and in turn I discovered Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull etc.

2009 - Bless the Child, Nightwish.  Struggling to find any music outside the 70's that I really liked, I heard this song in a video game of all places. Liked it enough to explore the symphonic-metal genre, and soon had Epica, Opeth, and Therion added to my collection, and more importantly, Dream Theater, which would become my favorite modern-ish group, and eventually lead to my last discovery.

2017 - The Whirlwind, Transatlantic.  Looking for Dream Theater related stuff on you-tube, came upon this... and bore done day, decided to play it. One minute in and I was hooked, I needed to know who this group where these guys had come from. Unsurprisingly, from that I branched out.. Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings.... then somehow ended up on this website, and now have added IQ, Eloy to the list. 

I've bought more cd's this year alone than in the previous 10 I reckon Thumbs Up

From Transatlantic, you really should also have branched into Marillion...and you still shouldSmile

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: November 16 2017 at 23:25
The Court of the Crimson King made me revisit progressive rock after years of not listening, at least more than any other song. There is no runner-up really.

Posted By: Braka
Date Posted: November 26 2017 at 04:01
I was going to say that I didn't think any prog tracks particularly changed my life, but thinking back, perhaps that's wrong. Back in 1975 I'd just started really paying attention to the top 40, but I was precocious at twelve, and in my first year of what we call High School the music teacher had a library of albums which he'd encourage students just to listen to in class time (easy to see why music was a favourite subject), which is where i discovered Floyd. They turned out to be my 'gateway' band. The first music I started listening to which never heard on the radio (at this stage where i lived FM radio was still a couple of years away, and we just had two AM stations playing top 40, and two ABC stations (equivalent to BBC) but neither of them were much into music).

So, 'Wish You Were Here' was their latest album, but it was really 'Dark Side' which blew my mind and turned me forever away from the commercial pop garbage everybody else in my school was apparently listening to.

If I had to pick a track it may as well be 'Brain Damage', though it was really the whole album. God I wish I could get that astonished and exhilarated by new music now.

And then, shortly afterwards in 1976 I discovered the hard stuff. Hawkwind. 'Astounding Sounds' was their current album, but I think the first two I bought were 'Warrior' and 'Doremi', so it was probably 'Assault and Battery/The Golden Void' that officially catapulted me off into underground, prog and general crazy-arsedness.

It compounded things that independently of this I was already a Michael Moorcock fanatic, so when I discovered he was associated with the most amazing band I'd ever heard, that really sealed it (though in hindsight I don't think Moorcock's contributions to Hawkwind were among their most auspicious moments).  Hawkwind were just channelling whatever the hell it was i needed at 12-13, and I stayed a fanatic til at least the early 80's. After Calvert left, Brock seemed not to have rediscovered his cosmic savante mojo. But by this time I'd discovered a gazillion other bands, prog and not. If I can chuck in a third one, I think it was around 1981 that 'Refugees' by VDGG became my favourite song, and stayed there for a very long time. End of that can still give me goosebumps.

Wish I'd been a few years older and living in Europe in 77 to see 'Quark' era Hawkwind and Van Der Graaf touring together. Ah, well.

Posted By: maurov93
Date Posted: November 27 2017 at 16:02
Atom Heart Mother
Tarkus

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: December 21 2017 at 07:04
Supper's Ready changed my life, then Close to the Edge changed it back again.

Stasis restored.

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: December 21 2017 at 08:14
Epitath by KC and Autumn Suite (the Strawbs)

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: December 21 2017 at 08:59
Yes - South Side of the Sky - this was my favorite track off Fragile and the one that ultimately lead to me obsessing with the album (then Yes in general, then prog in general)

Simon Steensland - The Queen of Sweeden - My first RIO/Avant track (as can be guessed by its esoteric nature, happened upon it by chance), opened up the idea of music that didn't sound conventional which greatly expanded my palate.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk