Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111678
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 11:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hackett vs. Howe, round 2
Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Subject: Hackett vs. Howe, round 2
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 14:02
Remember, you are choosing Hackett or Howe here.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 15:49
Firth of Fifth. Masterful guitar work.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 16:32
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Firth of Fifth. Masterful guitar work.

Oh yeah, and it's a better song.. but can't vote again my man Steve Howe(and his playing is great in Starship Trooper). How could you put these two against each other? Dead

Can't vote. I just.. I won't do it. 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 17:01
FOF

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 18:15
Both excellent, amazing solos, but Hackett gets my vote, just by a very thin hair.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 18:32
Howe - no contest as far as I'm concerned.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 18:40
Very close because I like the acoustic guitar solo in starship trooper and of course the flanging guitar at the end. However, Steve Hackett's solo on Firth of fifth is goosebump inducing. 

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 18:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Very close because I like the acoustic guitar solo in starship trooper and of course the flanging guitar at the end. However, Steve Hackett's solo on Firth of fifth is goosebump inducing. 

Yeah, well put. 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 19:53
First I couldn't think of a way to choose one of both songs, since I really love the two... but after reminding us that it's Howe vs Hackett, well, on this pair I do love the guitar solo from Hackett much more. If I were to compare Hackett's guitar solo agains't Wakeman's keyboard solo on Starship Trooper from the Keys to Ascension version, then I would have a hard time choosing one.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 07 2017 at 20:07
for me the Firth solo is maybe the greatest prog guitar solo---it is at very least one of the most beautiful and moving.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 02:10
Hackett.

-------------

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 02:21
Very difficult to compare - as Starship Trooper has much more guitar work than Firth of Fifth. The latter solo is beautiful, but I wonder if Gabriel composed the theme or Hackett (or someone else).

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 02:26
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Hackett. No contest whatsoever. Only a few Andy Latimer/Steve Rothery/Dave Gilmour solos can compare with the utter majesty that is the solo on Firth of Fifth.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 02:33
Firth of Fifth for sure. An almost untouchable work of art

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 04:41
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I agree , due to whole guitar work in Starship Trooper !

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 07:44
Didn't even have to think about this one - Firth of Fifth.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 08:03
Hackett. This is easy choice for me. FOF is fantastic piece of music. I could listen to it anytime. Hackett solo is really amazing. This is one of a few song I always want to go on and on and on... No contest here really.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 08:55
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Very difficult to compare - as Starship Trooper has much more guitar work than Firth of Fifth. The latter solo is beautiful, but I wonder if Gabriel composed the theme or Hackett (or someone else).

Banks mostly composed the themes but Hackett made it his own

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 10:54
I prefer Hackett solo, and Howe with Yes. Can't vote for one over the other. Both are two of the best things to ever happen to prog rock.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 11:06
Both baby.

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 14:24
Good one, I like both al ot but I went with Howe on this one.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 15:38
Like both songs equally well...but prefer Hackett's solo over Howe's .

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 04:07
Hackett without a doubt. Firth of Fifth is one of his best performances IMO.

Howe's solo work on Starship Trooper is pretty damn good though.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 04:44
Different styles - I Love the clanking industrial guitar work of Howe and the ghostly signature of Hackett - Two sides of the same genius and I love them both. (But I picked Hackett because the solo in FOF first got me into prog...the appreciation of Howe came later.....)

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 14:17
Couldn't possibly decide between them - both are totally wonderful! But then Wurm is just sooooooooo brilliant still excites and thrills me every time I hear it......

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 14:58
If you would have put up Gates of Delirium, you might have had my vote for Howe. Delirium is a feat!

-------------
-John

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 16:01
I'd have to go with Starship Trooper, although it's one of those songs (like a lot of The Yes Album) that they didn't really perfect until they started playing live. Personally, my favorite versions of that song are from the Tormato era.

Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:04
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I'd have to go with Starship Trooper, although it's one of those songs (like a lot of The Yes Album) that they didn't really perfect until they started playing live. Personally, my favorite versions of that song are from the Tormato era.

Mine is the Keys to Ascension version, though I think I haven't heard a version from the Tormato era you mention. It might be interesting, but I doubt they had added Wakeman's brilliant keyboard duels with Howe in the Wurm section.

Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:13
One previous poster stated that they'd wished Firth would never end - I can relate to that. I think that this Genesis track is THE most amazing piece of art ever really recorded. Yes, whether I love Sade or Slayer, Kajagoogoo or Meshuggah, Firth Of Fifth is THE MOST AMAZING 'song' I've been fortunate enough to enjoy.
Pity those that don't think much of it.......
Ps - I am hating correcting 'spellcheck'. Spellcheck would fail in high-school with its knowledge.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:36
I'm sorry but Hackett vs Howe equals GTR!!!
GTR GTR album cover

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 22:01
^ I must raid my sister's vinyl collection - this GTR album is there. I did recognise Hackett To Bits (or pieces, or whatever it is......). Still like ASIA more.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 00:18
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Mine is the Keys to Ascension version, though I think I haven't heard a version from the Tormato era you mention. It might be interesting, but I doubt they had added Wakeman's brilliant keyboard duels with Howe in the Wurm section.

On the contrary, Wakeman would pick up a keytar and duel head to head with Howe! Wakeman also adds another synth solo in the Disullion section underneath all the "Ohhhs", which I think was ditched for future tours.

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 01:18
Never mind prog - Hackett's solo on 'Firth of Fifth' is one of the most sublime, haunting and achingly beautiful in the history of electric music.  On the contrary, 'Starship Trooper' suffers from the final Wurm section...

Posted By: Arnulf Floyd
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 01:46
I love much Steve Howe's country-influenced guitar work in Starship Trooper especially in Wurm part, what is very brilliant for me

-------------
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 01:50
Well, each to their own - I find the 'Wurm' section a 'bolt on' to the rest of the song (although seems to work better on Yessongs)

Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 13:29

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

On the contrary, Wakeman would pick up a keytar and duel head to head with Howe! Wakeman also adds another synth solo in the Disullion section underneath all the "Ohhhs", which I think was ditched for future tours.

Yeah, that's a pretty cool version, and they did go crazy at the end with the solos... however, I still prefer the one on Keys to Ascension... Wakeman's solo sounds like he put more work into it. The bad part is that he just about stole the focus from Howe.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 14 2017 at 09:33
^Yeah, Wakeman won there. Howe is clearly very talented, but I don't respond well to his harsh vamping and flanging style on this song and many others. I don't get the whole conception of the song either. Why is this song not a Space Rock sort of thing?

So, um, anyway, as a song I don't like Firth of Fifth either, but I do absolutely love Hackett's soaring lead, and Banks' intro too.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 18:23
Genesis on this one.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 22:25
As a song I think Firth Of Fifth would have won, but as a guitar work in those songs it´s starship.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 23:38
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

As a song I think Firth Of Fifth would have won, but as a guitar work in those songs it´s starship.
Agreed.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: March 30 2018 at 02:01
I love guitar solo in Firth of Firth, but as far as I know, Hackett's "best solo" was actually written by Tony Banks on piano. First it is played by Gabriel on flute and Hackett "only" adds a flavor and few extra notes to it with his guitar. I think Hackett can be more proud of other achievements, especially during his amazing solo career. On the other hand Howe's parts on "Disillusion", both acoustic and then spacey, other-worldy electric guitar (along with JA voice over it) belong among the unparalleled gems of Howe's work.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Date Posted: March 30 2018 at 09:01
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

If you would have put up Gates of Delirium, you might have had my vote for Howe. Delirium is a feat!

very true---Howe invented some kind of arty angry heavy metal---such a genius.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: March 30 2018 at 09:58
Good match up, I went with Howe, but it was close. 

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 30 2018 at 22:58
I have to go with Hackett 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk