Print Page | Close Window

What prog album are you ashamed to not like?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111687
Printed Date: August 21 2019 at 09:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What prog album are you ashamed to not like?
Posted By: condor
Subject: What prog album are you ashamed to not like?
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 15:45
Either to yourself or others.

Islands by King Crimson, to myself.

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 15:55
Makes no sense....

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 16:38
^ Sure it does, just like non-prog albums you're ashamed to like.

For me, Relayer comes to mind.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 17:03
^ O.K. Still phrased somewhat oddly ??
I'd say Dream Theater. I have 2 LP's of theirs - Scenes From A Dream and Octavarium. It ticks all the boxes for me, yet, I just can't get into 'em.

Posted By: fredyair
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 17:32
Selling England by the pound...sorry.

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 17:36
No idea.

-------------
we found footprints in the snow

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 17:55
None.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 17:58
I have nothing to be ashamed about (when it comes to prog).

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 18:02
None.

“The Ultimate Rule ought to be: 'If it sounds GOOD to you, it's bitchin'; if it sounds BAD to YOU, it's sh*tty. The more your musical experience, the easier it is to define for yourself what you like and what you don't like. American radio listeners, raised on a diet of _____ (fill in the blank), have experienced a musical universe so small they cannot begin to know what they like.” - Frank Zappa

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 18:10
I have no shame either. I'll hump mannequins in public while singing Duran Duran songs

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 18:41
Well definitely on here it would be anything by Van der Graaf Generator. Still trying though. 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 19:00
I can't name any now, but at one time it was various Can and The Residents releases. I just knew various people with similar tastes who loved both those bands, and I felt awkward about not feeling the same way. Eventually I grew to appreciate both bands.

-------------
This post goes to eleven.

Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 19:15
^ I never got Can.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 19:25
^ Smoke more drugs

Posted By: openair83
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 19:33
None. Not one. If I don't like it, then I just don't f*ckin' like it.

Posted By: The Son of Gorp
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:42
Can't say I'm ashamed for not liking certain things, but it's not very fun to just put "None." either Sleepy

Larks' Tongue In Aspic has never resonated with me. Maybe someday.

Anything by Gentle Giant. Just... not enjoyable.

H to He, Who Am The Only One is a notable dud as well.

-------------
When Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanik, you just know.

Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:57
For me, from a Non-Prog perspective, I'm crucified whenever I mention Kajagoogoo - they were an amazing Synth-Pop act, with bucket-loads of talent, especially in Nick Beggs. Don't care, I, guess I more appreciate and enjoy their craft (rather than indulge whole-heartedly) than most care to admit. Great band, great material, though hated in history. Any muso (particularly Bassist) will attest to the blindingly eclectic bass-line of Too Shy.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 09 2017 at 22:48
All the Prog Metal genre. I'm not ashamed of it, but as much as I've tried, I can never get into it.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 00:13
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

For me, from a Non-Prog perspective, I'm crucified whenever I mention Kajagoogoo - they were an amazing Synth-Pop act, with bucket-loads of talent, especially in Nick Beggs. Don't care, I, guess I more appreciate and enjoy their craft (rather than indulge whole-heartedly) than most care to admit. Great band, great material, though hated in history. Any muso (particularly Bassist) will attest to the blindingly eclectic bass-line of Too Shy.
I saw them a few times when I was a new-romantic (the girls wore RA-RA skirts - you figure).
I 'm not ashamed of any of my collection - though I wonder why I once liked some of the death-metal and thrash-metal I have, also Abacab & Duke...my tastes have changed over time. (except for the core prog - SEBTP, Foxtrot etc)

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 01:32
None at all, I'm not obligated to like a damn thing.

Interestingly there are some things I do like that I feel a little ashamed of. Because sometimes I like things that I also think are sh*t

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 02:34
Most albums by Gentle Giant. They just get on my nerves.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 03:25
None. If I don't like an album it just seems unlikable to me.

-------------

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 03:34
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Precisely 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 04:58
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

exactly... besides this  is a very personal question !!!

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 05:42
Originally posted by openair83 openair83 wrote:

Yeah me too. I don't get the point here. I happen to not like DSOTM. So what.

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 06:05
I have never managed to get into King Crimson. 
People keep telling me how good In the Court of the Crimson King is but I've never got it.
Although I did hear the title track on Radio 2 in the middle of the night recently and I did enjoy it.
So I will give the album that one more go sometime.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 06:07
I really can't think why I'd be ashamed to not like something.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 06:12
I love Starship Trooper but the rest of their material leaves me cold.
So Yes. Anything by.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 07:02
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

All the Prog Metal genre. I'm not ashamed of it, but as much as I've tried, I can never get into it.

Me too. I'm not ashamed of not liking anything but try as i might I just can't get into prog metal other than some early Queensryche Iron Maiden and a couple Dream Theater songs 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 08:11
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I love Starship Trooper but the rest of their material leaves me cold.
So Yes. Anything by.

But are you ashamed about this?

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 08:53
Dark Side Of The Moon
War Of The Worlds
Images And Words

Don't get the love for these classics.

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 10:09
There are some groups that I feel I should like, but I don't like them at all. I do not feel ashamed for not liking them. So, this includes albums by Van Der Graaf, Can, Gentle Giant's studio albums, later King Crimson, Genesis without Gabriel, and others I have forgotten. On the other hand, I like lots of albums regularly attacked on the progressive rock forums.

Posted By: andreol263
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 10:20
All of the Neo-Prog and Prog Metal genre, sounds too cheesy, but i would like to appreciate these too

-------------

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 10:25
All Prog/Metal or anything heavy and Rush!!!.........

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 10:54
Can't say I've ever been ashamed at not liking an album, although there are some that I don't really understand the appeal of - The Ladder by Yes is one of them; if I wanted to hear a band try to sound like 70's Yes, I'd listen to Starcastle! At least they have the decency to do a whole album of it, rather than two tracks and a bunch of filler in between.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 11:27
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

That can get you kicked out of Canada 

Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 11:57
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

That can get you kicked out of Canada 

Don't care, it's more the vocalist in Rush!!Wink

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 12:03
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Yep...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: scruffydragon
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 12:22
Since I have been on here my musical Tastes have really opened out so much so it baffles some people. Most albums  tend to grow on me over a period of time.

However there was one album that made me feel so depressed and suicidal. Eventually the album was jettisoned for my own sanity. The album was Kaipa's Key holder.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 15:17
I can't say I've ever felt any sort of shame over my musical preferences, but it seems that the spirit of this thread is a bit closer to "prog albums that you think you should like given your tastes, but don't". So as far as those go, here are a few:

Yes - Going For The One (I love Yes, but I find this to be guilty of the "Yes is cold and sterile" trope)
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra (RPI is usually my jam, but I don't find this one particularly engaging)
Le Orme - Uomo Di Pezza (Same deal)
Sloche - Stadaconé (I adore Quebecois music, jazz fusion, and Quebec jazz fusion, but neither Sloche album really does it for me)

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 20:22
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Well definitely on here it would be anything by Van der Graaf Generator. Still trying though. 

Same here--- but stopped tryingSmile

also some KC and ZappaConfused

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 21:38
There are many of the much beloved albums that just don't do it for me, though I would never consider myself ashamed about not liking them. I just don't. However, not exactly ashamed, but "Tales from Topographic Oceans" sounds like an album that really is something else. More than just a rock album, something really special. Yet, I just can't get myself to love it. I do love Revealing Science of God, but the rest is just a bit too much for me. If I do put the album and listen to the whole of it I do enjoy it and all, but I wouldn't say I love it, even when I think it's really a special piece of art.

Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 22:06
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Same here--- but stopped tryingSmile

also some KC and ZappaConfused

With you on KC. Zappa I like but have to be in the mood for it. 

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 22:49
For me, it's Porcupine Tree.  I just can't get into them, even having seen them in concert twice. 

So sue me.

Posted By: skog_prog
Date Posted: August 10 2017 at 23:30
All Yes albums except for Fragile

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 00:30
It took me four years to fully appreciate Yes. They sneaked up on me and became my favourite band!
I still have an issue with VDGG - possibly the fact that there is loads of sax puts me off!

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 00:34
Not ashamed, but I wish I enjoyed Hatfield and the North's eponymous debut and side one of Henry Cow's Unrest more than I currently do.

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 02:38
I never really got into Rush ... Any of their albums I listened to leaves me stone cold .
I can appreciate the musicianship of the three guys but compositionwise I feel indifferent (and TBH, bored) most of the time.

-------------
Yours Sincerely

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 03:54
I've no idea why I should be ashamed of liking or not liking something. Confused

I can regret not being to "get into" something, because it's "too far out there" for me to grasp it, and I(m not willing to investigate further, but I won't be "ashamed"
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I can understand that...Smile

Just like VdGG and Univers Zero, you have to be in the mood to listen to them...
They're not bands that you can pop up in your decks out of the blue and listen to the whole album at once...

You almost have to prepare yourself for the ride.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 07:25
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

Selling England by the pound...sorry.
Almost everything by Genesis, excluding Revelation and the Lamb which I quite like.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 08:05
If I rephrase it to albums I'm surprised I've never developed a taste for:-

Rush generally, I have 2 or 3 albums but they never seem to really grab me.
Prog Metal - I like prog, I like metal, I even like avant prog metal, but Opeth, Dream Theater and the like don't seem to grab me.
Neo - I keep giving IQ & Marillion a go every couple of years but beyond one or two albums, meh.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 10:08
Not "ashamed", but more like "can't see the big deal" with:

1. Dream Theater's entire discography
  2. ELP period.

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 16:42
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

If I rephrase it to albums I'm surprised I've never developed a taste for:-

Rush generally, I have 2 or 3 albums but they never seem to really grab me.
Prog Metal - I like prog, I like metal, I even like avant prog metal, but Opeth, Dream Theater and the like don't seem to grab me.
Neo - I keep giving IQ & Marillion a go every couple of years but beyond one or two albums, meh.

For Neo, try Twelfth Night,  Pendragon and Pallas

Date Posted: August 11 2017 at 21:18
I'm ashamed so many are ashamed to be ashamed.

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 02:54

Sums up my views pretty exactly. And I won't apologise to anyone or be ashamed for not liking King Crimson, VDGG or any other band that is otherwise almost universally revered on here. Nor do I feel ashamed for loving Dire Straits, Big Country, Runrig or any unfashionable non prog band.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 06:22
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Sums up my views pretty exactly. And I won't apologise to anyone or be ashamed for not liking King Crimson, VDGG or any other band that is otherwise almost universally revered on here. Nor do I feel ashamed for loving Dire Straits, Big Country, Runrig or any unfashionable non prog band.

Quite right, too. I unashamedly love Dire Straits, ever since being introduced to the first album by a marvellous arts teacher at school, probably around 1979 I suppose. He used to play a massive eclectic range of music, chucking out the idiots who complained.

Those were the days

-------------

In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 06:34
I'm not ashamed of being a fan of Arlo Guthrie

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 07:52
What Prog Album are you ashamed not to like?
What movie or novel that is routinely included in 'the best movies and novels of all time' lists prepared by people you have never met, are you ashamed not to like?
What other types of anonymous peer group pressure causes you to completely buckle?
Grow a pair FFS Ermm

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 08:01
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Quite right, too. I unashamedly love Dire Straits, ever since being introduced to the first album by a marvellous arts teacher at school, probably around 1979 I suppose. He used to play a massive eclectic range of music, chucking out the idiots who complained.

Those were the days
Yes, Laz. I caught the bug for Dire Straits immediately, while my friends and siblings thought I was off my rocker. Until Money For Nothing came out and they all immediaely acted like long time DS fans. What a bunch of bleeding fakers!

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 08:06
Back to the topic. I'm not ashamed to dislike any music, person or thing if there is a good reason. But I did get a lot of flack one time for saying I thought that the album Grand Hotel by Procol Harum was a bore. It almost came to fisticuffs. How bizarre is that?

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 09:15
Like others have already said.......none.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 11:06
Music is like art, we cannot all like the same picture.  We are all individuals and have certain tolerances..  I have to say I once hated Country and Rap.  But recently their music has really improved...  Heavy metal or prog metal is probably the only genre I cannot stand.  Too much noise for my ears I'm afraid !!Confused

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 12:17
I am certainly not ashamed to dislike anything, but I do share the puzzlement of many regarding VDGG, which I recognize as great stuff, but it just doesn't speak to me. 

I feel the same about Magma - I just can't get into them, but far be it from me to step on a Magma fan or feel guilty about not wishing to pursue extraterrestrial language.

Now guilty pleasures are another thing. I always like springing a dense work of proggery on an unsuspecting person who has never experienced totally bizarre music. Fripp and Eno's No Pussyfooting is one that I have used with great success trying to freak out mainstream metalheads. The uninitiated kind of get it but are unnerved by how otherworldly the whole affair sounds. 

And a lot of people think I should be ashamed of the dense, overblown, and pretentious music that attracts me.

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 19:12
How about high-rated albums you don't really like. 

I'm not really embarrassed about it, but I listened to Maudlin of the Well, Part the Second 2 times through waiting for it to grow on me...and there is no part of it I like. 

Also, I've never been embarrassed to like Dire Straits. Heard them on a King Biscuit show one night and they became one of my favorites.  Telegraph Road, Private Investigations, Romeo and Juliet, got me in, but I've gradually learned to like all their more popular stuff too. 

-------------
-John

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 22:13
None.

People have tried to shame me into stopping hating on ELO's first, mega-crappy album though.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 12 2017 at 23:24

None.
Thank you ....

NONE for me!

-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... now try finding your own mirror/art! www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: August 13 2017 at 06:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ O.K. Still phrased somewhat oddly ??
I'd say Dream Theater. I have 2 LP's of theirs - Scenes From A Dream and Octavarium. It ticks all the boxes for me, yet, I just can't get into 'em.

Ha. The same two I have. I really respect this band but can't quite yet really do more than that. Maybe something to do with a lot of technically great playing but a little lacking on memorable tunes. I could be wrong of course and just need to be steered right.

Date Posted: August 13 2017 at 06:27
Ashamed to not like an album of music...

Seems weird to me but I suppose I should feel ashamed for not liking Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra. Almighty opening riff number then half an hour of bland violins. Padding?

Oh that's the prog part. Now for the rock part... actually nothing. Except...

once upon a time there was an anomaly. Genesis. Ashamed to like? Now this was an odd one. If I said how much I liked SEBTP, Nursery Cryme, Lamb etc then this was a pop cultural faux pas that showed how out of touch I was for not being into '80s pop. Speaking of which, if I like post Duke albums then I was some trendy '80s pop fan who really needed pop cultural direction. Foxtrot oscar the lot of them.

So while I wasn't ashamed of any Genesis I had to act like I was which was so stupid but I did not want to get into the arguments with idiots, er, I mean people. Not all the time anyway. Not everything Genesis did hit instantly btw, sometimes somethings had to take a while and I had to allow the old musical sense to reorient. Such is life, such is music.

Date Posted: August 13 2017 at 06:29
Unless Pawn Hearts counts? Highly regarded and I tried my best but it did not take... I am so humiliated.

My music teacher at school was well into VDGG, PF and Zeppelin and others as well as the usual truckload of symphonies and concertos but VDGG still never worked for me. Sorry.

;)

Posted By: Einwahn
Date Posted: August 13 2017 at 07:17
Close to the Edge
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Am I really a prog fan?

Date Posted: August 13 2017 at 16:04
Originally posted by Einwahn Einwahn wrote:

Close to the Edge
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Am I really a prog fan?

I'm sure you are. And I believe that you would come to love all three of those albums if you just give them another chance and listen all the way through(certainly Close to the Edge). The other two may be a bit of an acquired taste, although The Lamb shouldn't take much acquiring. Do what you want and I'm not trying to judge at all(we all like different things), just I honestly believe that anyone who gives Close to the Edge an honest chance will come to love it. 

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 13 2017 at 16:09
Originally posted by Einwahn Einwahn wrote:

Close to the Edge

Am I really a prog fan?

hah...  another mother's basement type I see...

no...  there is a reason Yes is what it is.. and that album is what it is.  So no..  no progger card for you.  

Look on the bright side... you join the cool crowd. Proggers are whimps and pussies who dig absolute sh*t like VDGG ... just because it is sh*t...  

the cool crowd like good music..no matter what is called... prog or not... and isn't afraid to say that some prog is pure sh*t.  So get back to CttE and when it finally hits you.. come find me for the Cool Crowd card.  Then I'll put you onto some Willie Nelson....

-------------
The Diet Coke of Evil....

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: August 14 2017 at 16:54
Originally posted by The Son of Gorp The Son of Gorp wrote:

Can't say I'm ashamed for not liking certain things, but it's not very fun to just put "None." either Sleepy

Larks' Tongue In Aspic has never resonated with me. Maybe someday.

Anything by Gentle Giant. Just... not enjoyable.

H to He, Who Am The Only One is a notable dud as well.

Used to be GG and VDGG but now I LOVE all Shulman brothers & Co. albums. I now LOVE H to He, Who Am The Only One but have never been able to get into any of the other VDGG or Hammill "masterpieces."

Larks' Tongue was the first album that came to mind when I read the OP. I just don't hear or feel the "genius" here...

-------------
Drew Fisher,
retired radio DJ and dormant music blogger
Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: August 14 2017 at 17:43
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

There are many of the much beloved albums that just don't do it for me, though I would never consider myself ashamed about not liking them. I just don't. However, not exactly ashamed, but "Tales from Topographic Oceans" sounds like an album that really is something else. More than just a rock album, something really special. Yet, I just can't get myself to love it. I do love Revealing Science of God, but the rest is just a bit too much for me. If I do put the album and listen to the whole of it I do enjoy it and all, but I wouldn't say I love it, even when I think it's really a special piece of art.

Ditto. Except "Ritual" is the track I like the most.

While Relayer has grown on me in leaps and bounds to become what I consider Yes's best, just haven't been able to get into the Tales much.

-------------
Z

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: August 14 2017 at 23:47

This for sure, I try and try but it just doesn't gel for me. But to be honest, I'm not really ashamed of not liking any music or any art at all. It's all just so...subjective...as all art should be, and maybe Aphrodite's Child, even though I really like Vangelis.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 15 2017 at 09:39
I'm in the same boat as almost everyone when it comes to not being ashamed.

That aside, there's a couple of things of which I believe that I could somehow still much better figure out how good they are than I've managed to up to now. Pretty much the whole Henry Cow catalogue falls into that category.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: August 15 2017 at 14:26
I guess Court of the Crimson King. I Love 21 century Schizoid Man but a lot of the rest of the album feels like it drags out for me. May be I need to be in the right frame of mind when I listen to it again.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 16 2017 at 14:15
I don't do shame for my listening, nor should anybody no matter who says what you should be enjoying.  That goes for Prog snobs, AOR producers, music critics, etc.  If you don't like what you have been hearing, find something else.  Even if you like what you are hearing, never stop exploring - there is just too much good stuff out there.  And you don't have to like everything that comes your way.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Salmonyappi
Date Posted: August 16 2017 at 14:50
I'm a bit stunned by the many times Pink Floyd is mentioned in prog-reviews, and as if this is a good thing!
Of course there are always songs or even albums that are enjoyable but in the whole I'm not a Pink Floyd fan.
Same for Rush. I'm a big progfan but I do not have one album of Rush......
Ashamed? Not really, but a blush on the cheeks to all the fans of the mentioned bands.......

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 16 2017 at 17:29
2112, Side One, as it appears to have quite the following among P.A.-ers. It always came off as simply a finger exercise for Lifeson replete with some dull transitions here and there. Overshadowed fiercely by subsequent albums.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Luqueasaur
Date Posted: August 16 2017 at 20:39
The albums that I DON'T LIKE but should... Crime of the Century and Magma's debut. Particularly Magma. I feel worthless when I listen to Magma and think "so what?"...

Albums that I wished I could like more would be Pawn Hearts, ItCotCK and Relayer. The two first are good, but that's it; the third is just meh...diocre to me.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 16 2017 at 21:41
I'm probably not as big a fan of Tales from Toopographic Oceans as I should be. I like some of it a lot but there are parts that I feel just drag on a bit. I definitely see where RW was coming from in his criticism of it. The Remembering in particular just feels like a chore to get through. I like most of the rest though(even the ancient). 

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 00:31
the question is Confused its isn't making ????? so its NONE

-------------
Oda To The Freaks...take time out of the rat race otherwise life will SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 04:33
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I have nothing to be ashamed about (when it comes to prog).

This . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 07:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm probably not as big a fan of Tales from Toopographic Oceans as I should be. I like some of it a lot but there are parts that I feel just drag on a bit. I definitely see where RW was coming from in his criticism of it. The Remembering in particular just feels like a chore to get through. I like most of the rest though(even the ancient). 

Yea, I feel the same way about Topographic Oceans & I'm a big Yes fan. It has moments but overall I don't really enjoy it that much.

Date Posted: August 21 2017 at 09:16
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yea, I feel the same way about Topographic Oceans & I'm a big Yes fan. It has moments but overall I don't really enjoy it that much.

Here, here! The thing befuddled us all when it came out, and that remains to this day. Inspired only in places.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Mystic Mamba
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 14:59
Misplaced Childhood by Marillion. I don't "hate" it, I've just never understood why it's such a popular album. Sure, there are parts to it that I do enjoy, but it's far from being the best Marillion album, in my opinion.

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 16:19
No shame for me in music appreciation (or lack of appreciation).

The stuff I like is varied and select, from ABBA to MAGMA.

I don't tend to "love" or "hate" bands/musicians.  Even my favorites have flaws and duds.  I think Jethro Tull is one of the greatest progressive rock bands in the history of rock music - but only if I listen to their 1970-1977 releases.  If I listen to Tull's/Anderson's 1980-2017 music, they [by and large] suck ass.

I think Tangerine Dream's output from 1970-1987 is downright brilliant and adventurous.  After '87... they are [by and large] stale and boring.

But it's all perfectly subjective.  People can try to convince me all day long about how great Dream Theater is, I still just can't get on-board.  I can (and will) continue to try and bring my wife around to appreciating Vangelis, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 16:41
Anglagard's Hybris. I thought it would become one of my favourite albums ever based on the way it is described but I can't get into it no matter how hard I try. That part around 1:10 into the first song makes me want to stab my ears. Fortunately the rest of the album is not that bad.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 19:31
^ très étrange.

-------------
we found footprints in the snow

Posted By: aldri7
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 19:15
i never feel ashamed when I dont like music that others like. Im much more likely to feel ashamed for the opposite: liking music that no one else likes. Now a thread for that is something I could definately contribute to. :) Im famous for liking most the one track on the album that no one else likes. Invariably, this track gets buried on side two (old LPs) and is close to being the last song on the album.

Anthony Philips (ex genesis founder) recorded a song called "squirrel" which I am a little ashamed to admit I liked. Even prog fans panned it. That was the last time I remember feeling this sense of "why do I like stuff no one else likes?"

An example of the opposite: "Suppers Ready" by Genesis seems universally liked by Genesis fans, many of whom consider it to be a masterpiece of prog, but I was never a fan of it. I dont feel any shame for not liking it, though. Im very ironclad in my opinions when it works the other way around. Its no use arguing with me :)

Posted By: aldri7
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 19:43
I forgot to mention though - when an album is hugely popular but doesnt resonate with me, I will sometimes give it repeated listenings in an attempt to like it more. I feel somehow that maybe I should, but I do this more out of curiosity than shame. Sometimes I will come around. Miles Davis fusion like Bitches Brew eventually caught on for me, as did early Weather Report. In the sixties and seventies, there were lots of guys that would sort of try and shame you for not liking agressively atonal and free jazz. I suppose if you really wanted to be accepted by these guys, you might feel some shame. This didnt happen to me though. But artists like Terje Rypdal, John Scofield and a lot of guys on the ECM label played pretty free form, and I ate it up. And if my friends didnt like it, Maybe I made them feel a bit shamed, I dont know :)

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 07:06
Close To The Edge.  I've tried, and it's OK.  But it's not as good as this website makes it out to be. 

IMHO of courseLOL

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 07:20

None.

indeed and ditto

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 07:33
Genesis - And Then There Were Three.

Not 'ashamed' as such...that's a bit strong.

I like about a third of it but some of the lyrics are dreadful especially The Ballad of Big. It was the beginning of the slippery slope...

Yes - Relayer. I just can't get into it for some reason. Maybe it's the production which I find a bit dry and Moraz's keyboards are a bit too busy for my liking.10 notes where 9 would do

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: CaP
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 08:20
ELP and Gentel Giant

-------------
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 08:29
Originally posted by Luqueasaur Luqueasaur wrote:

The albums that I DON'T LIKE but should... Crime of the Century and Magma's debut. Particularly Magma. I feel worthless when I listen to Magma and think "so what?"...

Albums that I wished I could like more would be Pawn Hearts, ItCotCK and Relayer. The two first are good, but that's it; the third is just meh...diocre to me.

I know what you mean about certain albums not clicking. Relayer is one of those that took me years to sink in. I realized i just didn't have the tools necesary to understand its complexity. I can honestly say it probably took me 20 years to understand. When i was really young it was always praised for being so great and it all went over my head. Keep playing it every so often and focus intently. Now it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

Pawn Hearts was an instant classic in my world but ITCOTCK other than 21st Century Schizoid Man also took a while to incubate. Now i love that one too. That first Magma is my favoirte Magma!

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 09:01
ach, if I don't like it I don't like it.  There is enough meanness in the world without prog shaming!

But I guess I wish I could like YES a bit more.  They are just sooooooo busy and "up".  In contrast, I am quite happy not liking Floyd all that much because they are too depressingly down all the time.  But I'm grateful for all their influence on bands I prefer  Tongue

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 09:05
Originally posted by CaP CaP wrote:

ELP and Gentel Giant
Well doesn't that narrow it down.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 09:11
Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

Anthony Philips (ex genesis founder) recorded a song called "squirrel" which I am a little ashamed to admit I liked. Even prog fans panned it. That was the last time I remember feeling this sense of "why do I like stuff no one else likes?"

Speaking of Ant Phillips, I'm somewhat reluctant to say that I favor his Um & Aargh off 1979's Sides. A light-hearted little ditty that wasn't exactly a show-stopper in its time. A stand-out though among the other mediocre songs on the album.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk