Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1117
Printed Date: May 20 2024 at 15:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What would improve CD’s
Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Subject: What would improve CD’s
Date Posted: July 02 2004 at 13:21

CD's are expensive, no doubt, but there are things that could make them more valuable. I'd love to see them with better booklets that contain more information and include a bonus "the Making of *****" DVD to give some behind the scenes info. 

Demos are cool, but I tend to skip over them after a couple of listens.

Hidden tracks that are tacked on to the last song after twenty muinutes of silence are a pain in the arse, especially in the car.... holding down the fast forward button while swerving through rush hour traffic and trying to hold the cell phone to my ear with my left shoulder.....  Bad Idea!!!!!

Replies:
Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: July 02 2004 at 14:21
I'd like to see them in LP sized sleeves!

Posted By: Aquarius
Date Posted: July 02 2004 at 14:43

I voted for DVD footage. Although it doesn't have to be the making of... We see this all the time with movies. Somehow knowing how a movie is made takes away the magic.   Same applies to music. If you know all the in and outs of a band the magic is gone.

But including a DVD or a DVD track also means bigger expenses for the band or the label. And I guess bands with a low budget could suffer from this.

But what makes lots of prog CDs attractive for me is the special editions with a beautiful book like cover.

-------------
Download 6 min. TRAILER (10 excerpts) of our upcoming concept album at http://www.silentagreement.nl - http://www.silentagreement.nl

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: July 02 2004 at 16:26
Some things are nice, but the only way to make CD's REALLY BETTER, is to make them cheaper! No, I'm not kidding. I don't want to pay 20 euros for a CD... that's just rediculous...

Posted By: Belljar
Date Posted: July 02 2004 at 17:21

Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Some things are nice, but the only way to make CD's REALLY BETTER, is to make them cheaper! No, I'm not kidding. I don't want to pay 20 euros for a CD... that's just rediculous...

I'm with you on that! New CD's are waaay too expencive. Thank God for secondhand shops. They're pretty much as good as new, and about 50% cheaper! (If not more)

Posted By: Marcelo
Date Posted: July 02 2004 at 19:05
To legalize copies?

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: July 03 2004 at 10:33
Originally posted by Belljar Belljar wrote:

Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

I'm with you on that! New CD's are waaay too expencive. Thank God for secondhand shops. They're pretty much as good as new, and about 50% cheaper! (If not more)

Absolutely - it's one of the biggest problems I have with CDs - they cost far less to produce than vinyl albums ever did - and have done for a long time. Why should I pay £15 for something that cost 10p to manufacture? I understand that the bands deserve payment, and the record companies can't produce CDs for nothing, so there has to be a profit margin, but I feel little sympathy for an industry that has pushed the profit margins through the roof and then run out of cash because everyone got a massive pay rise out of it;

Artists now are extortionately overpaid in the premier division (and I mean of pay, not of talent, ROBBIE WILLIAMS!!!), and now the companies are trying to milk even more out of the music by "hitting pirates" - that's the likes of you and me that make illegal copies so that we can decide whether we want to buy the music or not, as we have done for generations.

/end rant, as I could go on about this topic for ages!

CDs can't be improved, except cosmetically. For real improvements, ie to the music, DVD or even better, solid-state audio is the way forward, IMO.

Posted By: Tauhd Zaïa
Date Posted: July 03 2004 at 11:41

1: lower prices

2: including a nurse for my children

3: the secret of the best beauty regime

-------------
The State Of Grace Is Achieved

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: July 03 2004 at 12:00

Maybe inckuding a protection system that could make impossible to burn, copy or release Rap, Hip Hop and Pop music on the CD's.

Iván

Posted By: oliverstoned
Date Posted: July 06 2004 at 07:06

Altough it's very expensive, the poor sound of cd's is the first problem!!!

When you have a real hifi-system with a good CD and a good vynil, and when you compare an original vynil to the latest cd edtion, the cd is unbearable...

Moreover, a real good Cd player is very very expensive (at least 15000 dollars,

no joking)...

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: July 07 2004 at 07:47
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Although it's very expensive, the poor sound of cd's is the first problem!!!

When you have a real hifi-system with a good CD and a good vinyl, and when you compare an original vinyl to the latest CD edition, the CD is unbearable...

Very debatable. I read somewhere if there was more than 15 minutes a side of a 12" vinyl disc, then the analogue signal derived from the mechanical movement of a stylus would increasingly get attenuated, i.e. sound quality is sacrificed. Therefore long albums (e.g. many of the Genesis early releases) were compressed with the loss of both upper and lower frequencies - it was a revelation to hear the trembly crispness of the cymbals on those Genesis albums, when first released on CD, (previously clipped for the vinyl releases). However, without remastering what  often had been clipped for vinyl release and then put back in the mix  came too much to the front on CD. The unmastered CD Jean Luc Ponty Enigmatic Oceans, has too much cymbal up front to my ears.

Then how good or bad was the pressing technology - in my experience of the late 60's, Decca and Deram never seem to bothered with QC of pop and rock albums (all seem to be concentrated into their classic labels) and the surface noise of their LPs could be dreadful. Faster the vinyl discs were moulded the greater the risk than they would warp - polycarbonate used for CDs is a much more superior material and more than adequate for the job. Add to that the amount of reused vinyl going into the each disc and therefore a big risk of crud affect surface/play quality. And then the damage from stylus wear, dust pick-up and the crap recommended to clean discs (which added rather than took away surface contamination) all added to vinyl disc deterioration. Find Todd Rundgren's Initiation album on vinyl, and there is a clear recommendation on the sleeve advising you to copy the disc on to cassette or reel to reel before a stylus caused too much surface damage - there is approx. 30 minutes a side on that record.

Final point, when first introduced a CD production line could have up to 80% rejection rate (explaining to a limited extent the price difference with vinyl in the mid 60's - but there was also the massive Sony/Phillips patent royalty element). However, within 5 years of CD mass production, with improvements in clean room technology, rejection rates were lower than those vinyl pressings ever achieved. The technology had got so reliable that CDs with a Beethoven symphony were being made and given away at plastics exhibitions (i.e. away from the controlled environment of a factory) from the beginning of the 90's. In 1995, I was told by the MD of Nimbus Records, then contracted to EMI pressed up the remastered Floyd catalogue on CD, that the cost per CD fully packaged with insert card and all, was 55p per disc - it is cheaper now.

Moreover, a real good CD player is very very expensive (at least 15000 dollars,

no joking)...

Ditto audiophile decks and styluses. And I sometimes wonder if difference in performance (whether comparing CD players or comparing decks and styluses) can only be detected using electronic equipment (e.g. an oscilloscope)

BTW anybody forked out for one of these laser based decks (cheapest I've seen here is 3 grand), said to eliminate surface wear - I would be concerned by surface radiation damage of the vinyl. As a professional materials engineer I have long thought that the vinyl chloride/vinyl acetate copolymer used for LPs, to be a poor materials selection - I know of a much better material with much better reproduction and wear properties.

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: July 07 2004 at 08:07

There's a separate discussion for the relative merits of the formats

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=864&PN=1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=864&am p;PN=1

I for one would be seriously interested in your "waxings", Dick!

Posted By: theis the one
Date Posted: July 07 2004 at 16:26
I vote for Making The Album, Beacuse, so you can see how much they been working to get the Album, ones I seen one by a Danish Band where i get disaapointet Beacuse they just f**ked the album and just wanted to be finish with it there was no love  with the cd.

-------------
Theis|Shogun

Posted By: frenchie
Date Posted: August 02 2004 at 18:25
I really like Digipaks are a good idea. It was great to see some of the classic Yes albums in lush fold out packaging with lots more pictures. Just makes it seem more special and proffesional.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: frenchie
Date Posted: August 02 2004 at 18:27
Bonus tracks are tolerable (the yes ones were very good) but i think they shouldn't spoil the flow of an album. The worst bonus track ever was putting "Ambuletz" on the uk edition of the mars volta - deloused in the comatorium. the song was good but i think adding a song to a concept album like that ruins the flow of the album. I would much rather see the album as it is.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: asuma
Date Posted: August 02 2004 at 19:40
i really like dvd footage. of anything.

-------------
*Remember all advice given by Asuma is for entertainment purposes only. Asuma is not a licensed medical doctor, psychologist, or counselor and he does not play one on TV.*

Date Posted: August 02 2004 at 23:58

Quote Bonus tracks are tolerable (the yes ones were very good) but i think they shouldn't spoil the flow of an album.

Can't agree more with you Frenchie, I hate bonus tracks, the albums must be released the way the author designed  them.

The bonus tracks may be great in some cases (Not ususally IMHO) but those songs change the real format of the album.

Imagine somedody adding tracks to The Lamb or In the Court of the Crimson King, those masterpieces are perfect the way they are.

Iván

Posted By: The Prognaut
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 01:10
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Imagine somedody adding tracks to The Lamb or In the Court of the Crimson King, those masterpieces are perfect the way they are.

Like what happened regarding most of the Fish era albums (e.g. "Script for a Jester's tear", "Clutching at Straws", "Fugazi"...) and some of the Hogarth ones when bonus tracks and extra Cds where added up... remastering could be dangerous yet useless sometimes 

-------------
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 03:12

Extra live tracks sounds good to me.ELP's 'Trilogy' (Sanctuary r/m) has a previously unreleased live version of 'Hoedown'.I'd rather have that than some 'making of footage' personally. 

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 03:25
I agree with most of what's been said above, but would also put in my 2 cent's worth regarding packaging.

I dare say we all have the same problem in that if the jewel case is not broken when we buy a brand new CD (at least the CD retaining tabs), then it will be within 2/3 weeks.

The manufacture of jewel cases is not rocket science, and it is possible to make them more sturdy. We know this, as the ones we have to buy to replace the original cases are always of a higher quality. If I were of a cynical bent, I would summise that the manufacturers do this deliberately in order to get us to shell out more money......

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: theis the one
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 05:25
I just buy'd an album, where there only was 45 min. of music, thats not enough when there can be, up to 90. min. i had it, there schould be some more music on the albums.

-------------
Theis|Shogun

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 06:52
A common gripe, this one

The CD format can carry approx 80 minutes of music, but when you have 1970's albums being re-released on CD, they are rarely more than 45 minutes long, so unless a huge amount of unreleased material (of decent quality, one would hope) can be unearthed, we end up buying a half full CD.

Mind you, on the other side of the coin, many new bands try to fill as much of the CD as possible, resulting in quantity, rather than quality(no names, no pack drill, no mention of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers).

I always prefer quality to quantity.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 09:21
I don't care if an album is short. Gentle Giant - Three Friends was worth all the money I paid for it!

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 14:41

Personally, I love "bonus tracks", they often offer an interesting insight into the history of the tracks on the albums. The Caravan and Yes bonus tracks for example are excellent. In Caravan' case, on the "New Symphonia" album, they were used to recreate the concert in full.

You can always use the stop, skip or programme buttons on the CD player if you don't want to hear them!

I thought the way the Marillion remasters had the exta tracks on a separate CD was a great idea. The original albums were left untouched on one CD for the purists, with a plethora of extras for folks like me on the other!Big smile

Posted By: AngelRat
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 16:13

Lower prices, better sound quality. Muchos older prog albums rereleased on cd sound sh*t. A simple remastering job will do, but seemingly most labels are reluctant to do that, or they do when you've already bought the damn cd out of despair. I bought KC's 'Islands' twice, the old version sounds excruciatingly bad, the remaster sounds 300 times better.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 22:41

Probably I'm a purist and like to have the album exactly as it was released by the authors, I don't want to listen what a producer or a label searching for money decide is better to add.

I don't care for the lenght if a band releases an album with 80 minutes of music it's better (specially if they don't sacrifice quality for quantity as Jim said, but if the band releases an album with certain songs, I want to listen it that way.

If a band has many B sides or unreleased versions, there's always the chance to release a special album after the band is dead so we can have some new stuff after we believed we would never hear something new.

Iván

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: August 04 2004 at 00:37

Probably I'm a purist and like to have the album exactly as it was released by the authors, I don't want to listen what a producer or a label searching for money decide is better to add.

I don't care for the lenght if a band releases an album with 80 minutes of music it's better (specially if they don't sacrifice quality for quantity as Jim said, but if the band releases an album with certain songs, I want to listen it that way.

If a band has many B sides or unreleased versions, there's always the chance to release a special album after the band is dead so we can have some new stuff after we believed we would never hear something new.

Iván

The question is... What would make a CD buyer (You) more inclined to buy a CD?

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: August 04 2004 at 14:29
Does lifting beer cans count ????????????????????? 

Hmm.............I guess not

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: August 05 2004 at 18:06
I am a vynil junkie and hate the over produced sound of CDs.

Posted By: Glass-Prison
Date Posted: August 05 2004 at 18:45
Well, it's quite obvious, the best way to make me buy a CD is to charge a much more reasonable price, instead of adding cool gimmicks. Sure, I'd love to know Bill Bruford's PIN number, but I'm buying the CD for the music!

Date Posted: August 05 2004 at 21:52

Quote The question is... What would make a CD buyer (You) more inclined to buy a CD?

Only one thing THE MUSIC.

I don't buy an album for it's lenght, bonus tracks, beautiful art covers (though it helps a bit), footage, etc. I simply buy what I like.

Iván

Posted By: NyghtOwl
Date Posted: August 07 2004 at 18:09
Other...definitely.
If ya have a gooood turntable/amp/stylus etc, then the sound quality of an album (vinyl) is better than CD.
I dunno if this is cos music is movement of air and there is no movement of air with a laser (CD).
anyhows, i record all my stuff @ 96khz, 24bit, and it sounds bloody GREAT! lol

-------------
Life is a beach...
How come I'm not on it?

Date Posted: September 04 2004 at 10:59

I've got a very simple solution, let's just lose interest in music and take up basket weaving instead. Just kidding. I am a vinyl junkie and if I can find something on Vinyl in a second hand record shop or junk  store or a flea market I will grab that before paying $25 for a CD, anyway I'm into mostly older stuff. I find that the old analogue recordings which have been remastered and  transferred to CD sound overproduced and clinical. I will never give up my vinyl not even a team of wild horses. Nothing could improve CD's for me. I like sitting with the headphones on with album sleeve in my hand in my recliner watching the record go around on the turntable. and another thing with CD's I hate the gimmick of bonus tracks the record companies use such as studio run throughs and discarded material to jack up th prices of CD's. For example the re-mastered CD of Misplaced Childhood, the bonus tracks take up more time than the original bloody vinyl version! And no I don't own it I lisented to it at the listening station at a local music store. CD'S I have never owned a discman or walkman and believe music is a special and sacred artform  which requires your full attention. I 've even seen morons driving their cars with the things on. I guess we all have different approaches to listening, mine is more of a technical one I try to figure out the time signatures, what keys are being played in etc. it requires my complete and undivided attention somtimes I will play play a track over and over and over again until my dogs start snarling at me and my wife threatens me with slow agonizing painful death. The moog at the end of lucky man is a good example I will play that part over and over. I have favourite parts of songs whether it be prog, Elvis or Classical Music. But I guees some of you younger guys on the site grew up with CD's and that's the only format you know but that's OK. Heck I am so old as the hills that I remember 8 tracks and 45's.! But seriously I think that the way to improve CD's is to lower the prices is to stop all this downloading over the internet perhaps another format will be introduced which will prevent this. I have never down loaded music over the net it hurts the artists and the music lovers and Mariah. There! I have spoke my mind and as Maani would say peace to all.

(Danbo is that specific enough for you. Obviously I voted other)

Posted By: Reed Lover
Date Posted: September 04 2004 at 11:16

I like the idea of a commentary by the band, but it would have to be on a seperate disc. However I generally agree with Ivan, what we want is to hear the album as the artist intended it.There is a strand of opinion (on different forums) that industry types are demanding that cd's are mastered at maximum volume-Rush's Vapor Trails being the example I am familiar with, and thus making the remaster invaluable. Remastering Vapor Trails will make me buy it again, although you have to shop around-I have purchased albums from Play.com for £7.99 that have been £14.99 in HMV. I am all for copying cd's-I know it is theft, but I view it as a black-market. Black markets exist when a product is in short supply or over-priced.Cd's will never be in short supply therefore it should be a buyers market and it is not.

Rant over.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:29

Quote I am all for copying cd's-I know it is theft,

Hi Reed Lover, I'm gonna give you some good news, copying a CD is not always a Civil Crime (And of course is not a felony as RIAA pretends us to believe).

If you own a legally sold album, you're entitled to make copies for your own use.

The law doesn't discriminate between formats, so if I have a vynil copy of Close to the Edge, I believe I'm entitled to make a CD copy because I already paid the rights. Courts are specific in that point, if you bought an album, you're entitled to make copies for your own use.

RIAA wants us to buy the same product as many times as posible, you may have 1 or two vynils (if one got scratched), a cassette tape bought during the late 80's when no more vynils were sold and CD was not a popular item), a CD, a remastered edition, a remnastered edition with bonus tracks and of couse a 5.1 surround edition.

This means you have to pay 6 or 7 times for the same album, I don't think so.

Iván

Date Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:51

To respond to ivan some of my vinyl has only been played once as I was afraid I would wear it out so I would play it once and transfer it to cassette. And yes I still have a cassette player and listen to certain albums on the cassette player only especially the rare ones which aren't even available on CD. I agree with your point that once you have purchased the work you can do anything you want go use it for skeet shooting, a frisbee for your dogs, whatever, with it because the artists havee recieved their royalties. What do you guys think about buying music second hand? 

Date Posted: September 04 2004 at 13:23

HOW ABOUT SOME BETTER MUSIC

Date Posted: September 04 2004 at 16:42

[quote]I am all for copying cd's-I know it is theft,

Hi Reed Lover, I'm gonna give you some good news, copying a CD is not always a Civil Crime (And of course is not a felony as RIAA pretends us to believe).

If you own a legally sold album, you're entitled to make copies for your own use.

I am aware of that but I get DVD's with the UK top 60 albums on in MP3 format every fortnight. That is a wee bit naughty!

Also I distribute them amongst friends, also DVD's etc. Copying is theft if it prevents the original copyright owner from claiming his rightful earnings. I dont include replacing a damaged disc in this if you've already purchased the original. In this case the copying of CD's, DVD's and software for backup purposes should always be legal.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2004 at 18:41

Quote I agree with your point that once you have purchased the work you can do anything you want go use it for skeet shooting, a frisbee for your dogs, whatever, with it because the artists havee recieved their royalties. 

I go a bit further I believe you can buy ilegal copies in CD format from the black market and it's still legal if you bought the LP's before.

Quote I am aware of that but I get DVD's with the UK top 60 albums on in MP3 format every fortnight. Also I distribute them amongst friends, also DVD's etc.

Ok, this case is different, if you're busted this will be considered a civil crime.

Iván

Date Posted: September 04 2004 at 19:47

Quote I agree with your point that once you have purchased the work you can do anything you want go use it for skeet shooting, a frisbee for your dogs, whatever, with it because the artists havee recieved their royalties. 

I go a bit further I believe you can buy ilegal copies in CD format from the black market and it's still legal if you bought the LP's before.

Quote I am aware of that but I get DVD's with the UK top 60 albums on in MP3 format every fortnight. Also I distribute them amongst friends, also DVD's etc.

Ok, this case is different, if you're busted this will be considered a civil crime.

Iván

can you post bail for me, old fellow.

See you-know-who is on your case again. You 2 related or something?

-------------

Posted By: gdub411
Date Posted: September 05 2004 at 10:59
Bubble Gum....definately the bubble gum.....who doesn't like Bubble gum?

Posted By: arqwave
Date Posted: October 04 2004 at 20:04

I choose the last option beacuse is a rounding poll...

first, that's why "special editions" exists...

however, i rather be having more design, improved cases and of course, bonus tracks, I hate extra papers like holograms, fake tickets and all access things. But to be honest, the bottom line is to have THE BEST RECORDING EVER, with the perfect equalization, where ALL the instruments shine and nothing is in the background, an experience like no other, that can be heard anywhere and sounds great.

peace

-------------
between darkness and light

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: October 04 2004 at 22:02

Besides the costs (20 Euro for a cd is far too expensive), Id like the cd's to contain no specialities.

No hidden tracks

No dvd with extra featurretes

No extra songs (include them in the set or discard them, if it isn't good enough for the album don't waste my time on it, extra's on a seperate cd please. if I'm interested and I think it's worth it I'll buy it)

JUST THE MUSIC PLEASE

As for the art work, I like a good albumcover, somehow it tells something about the music, if not the musicians

Please add the lyrics, though sometimes meaningless it helps one to get through the music like a guide, for me important.

But again not to many extra's, it's not a novell or a picture book like a family album, just enough to support the music. I know there's much to say about a band and it's influence, but leave some mysticisme to the band. 

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: October 04 2004 at 22:23

I like good pictures of the band... in case you want to scan them in and promote them on other websites....  Or frame and put on the wall... either or...

I also miss the merchandize orders... I never got my "Love Beach" jogging shorts and I'm just so bummed about that now.  I guess I'll have to bid on the next pair I see on ebay!

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: Carl floyd fan
Date Posted: October 05 2004 at 00:07

I don't mind bonus tracks but sometimes they really annoy me.  Take Time and a word for instance.  Three of the songs appear on the album twice, as orignals mixs or single versions, whatever.  but really, who gives a f**k ?  Why do I want to hear the same song twice.  Or even three times, as this is what happened on my version of closer to home by grand funk railroad.  I don't care about radio or single or orginal versions!  Give me the list of songs with no repeats and if you're going to tack on extras, make them different from the orginal lineup! 

Oh, and I voted for artwork.

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: October 05 2004 at 01:46
I agree, who need the single edits !!!

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: Fitzcarraldo
Date Posted: October 05 2004 at 17:45

Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

I agree, who need the single edits !!!

Yep, I agree too. But I have found an exception that proves the rule: the US single version of 'Hocus Pocus' which is tacked onto the end of the 1994 album "The Best Of Focus" absolutely rocks. It's quite different from the original, which of course is also on the album. But it's the only example I've ever heard where I've been pleased a "bonus" single has been stuck on the end of a CD.

Date Posted: October 05 2004 at 17:58

I have come across a very useful tool that would improve some Cd's; specifically the following

All ELP albums since 1977

All Genesis albums since 1977

All Yes albums since 1977

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: October 06 2004 at 05:43

With Amazon.UK selling burnable CDs for 10 quid a hundred, i.e. 10 p each, then you have to know a recorded CD has to be the same price. So the packaging, advertising, artist royalties and significantly the price are disproportionately large. (In the Uk CDs are sold wholesale into the shops for £8 to £11 each!!!).

In my other life as a materials engineer, and about ten years ago I asked the MD of Nimbus Records, how much it cost them to manufacture a recorded CD. He was quite candid, and told me the company at the time were sub-contracted by EMI to press up most of the remastered Pink Floyd albums. His company were selling each CD to EMI, fully packaged for ~60p  and being pressed to knock 10p off that price (they did). Ten years later I'll put a small bet on  fully packaged CDs being 30 to 40p each - what 50 to 70 US cents.

My other frustration is the diabolical jewel case - makes an excellent case study (no apologies for the pun) for design students , i.e. what not to design, what plastics you shouldn't use and how a process can make  bad much worse. Gramophone magazine published a long technical letter of mine on the subject in the late 80's - clearly  little change in 15 years.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk