Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111815
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 15:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The shockingly decent 1982-1984 Poll
Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Subject: The shockingly decent 1982-1984 Poll
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 01:13
As I only allow one entry for per band*, I ran out of favorites and had to add 1984. According to me 1980-1981 showed that prog was vital as ever - while the three following years; not as much. Still lots of lovely albums to be found here. If you know a few pick a favorite and if you don't why not start getting acquainted with a some of them.

*How about if you wanted to vote for Univers Zéro Uzed or Art Zoyd Les Espaces Inquiets perhaps just vote for the available option and specify in the comment section?... and while we're at it why not give your vote to Zanov if you wanted to vote for Marillion - or maybe Fabio Frizzi if you'd prefer one of the two Rush albums released (which btw the album is also known as Paura Nella Cittŕ dei Morti Viventi). Just let us know lol. 

-------------

Replies:
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 01:22
Rather innovative and lovely isn't it?

Zanov - a genuis

Fabio Frizzi - where Morte Macabre got their whole sound from (and a couple of the tunes)

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 01:46
Went with Art Zoyd for the poll.

And "The Shockingly Decent" might be the best inadvertent band name suggestion ever.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 05:50
There are quite a few on this list that I don't know, so I cannot vote.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 06:06
I think I've heard two of them!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 06:18
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I think that's one more than me.

Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 06:19
^sorry it was the only way to keep the quality shockingly decent. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 06:43
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've only heard Dead Can Dance and Kate Bush. I have a Danielle Dax album but not that one.

Not sure the DCD album can be described as prog either, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It's more goth/world music. Quite good though.

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 06:56

Not sure the DCD album can be described as prog either, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It's more goth/world music. Quite good though.

Yes Its not really prog but that can be said about almost every DCD-album. I think DCD's approach to what they brought to the table was progressive right from the start though - which is more important to me than whether the music fits the "prog"-term.

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 07:40
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Yes Its not really prog but that can be said about almost every DCD-album. I think DCD's approach to what they brought to the table was progressive right from the start though - which is more important to me than whether the music fits the "prog"-term.

Yes, I agree, they were certainly 'progressive' if not actual prog. Intriguing band.

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 08:25
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Haven't heard any of them but this is the great thing about this site. I never want for new bands to check out. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 09:20

Ms. Bush's best album, slightly above Univers Zero

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 09:37
The Dreaming.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 09:42
Don't know most of them, but Art Zoyd of the ones I do.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 09:48
Went for the Dead Can Dance album...ProgGoth at it's finest Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 11:33
I'm going full Frizzi!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 12:07
UZ

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 14:32
Went with Yog Sothoth (obviously), but I will say that the DCD debut gets a lot of play from me lately...very cool old-school goth rock.

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 15:15
I've only heard about half of them but voted for Fabio Frizzi closely followed by Univers Zéro. Nice selection instead of the usual albums. I liked the Zanov and am off to search youtube for the whole album to listen to.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 20:01
Add to the list l: Henry Kaiser - Devil in the Drain, Fred Frith and Henry Kaiser - With Friends Like These..., French, Frith, Kaiser and Thompson - Live Love Larf and Loaf

From the list: Art Zoyd with Univers Zero runner up. Then again, other than Kate Bush and Dead Can Dance I don't know the rest, so I haven't voted.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 20:21
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Went with Yog Sothoth (obviously), but I will say that the DCD debut gets a lot of play from me lately...very cool old-school goth rock.

Yog Sothoth is my pick as well over Eskaton then Art Zoyd.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 20:26
nice list... I don't get stumped often.. but you got me here. Only half I know.. so no vote. Great list Clap

and you are really starting to piss me off tonight Captcha... not a wise thing to do...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 00:25
Art Zoid here

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 01:43
Osjan over Codona and Nekropolis, coincidentally somewhat similar albums, though I feel like I do still need to hear those records by Embryo, Cos and Haniwa-Chan(didn't they share some members with Wha-Ha-Ha?)

-------------

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 02:39
First vote for The Tunes of Two Cities, as I really like that Res album, and picked it up in San Francisco a few weeks ago. Fabio Frizzi was great to see live, actually very progressive and that was unexpected (my friend's far more familiar with him than I am)

Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 02:55
And you forgot one Wink

Of course, Bacamarte's Depois is from 1983, but that would probably BLOW AWAY this poll (as that album has the tendency to do that on any poll)

Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 04:25
^Guess I never associated Associates with prog - I'm in a minority that didn't get bolwan away by Depois... besides its a 1978-album released five years later so it doesn't really represent this era.

Pleasantly surprised to see Yog Sothoth doing so well. I was certain it was doomed to end up among the ones with zero votes. Not surprised however to see Kate getting the most votes - its pretty high up on my own favorite albums (ever) and if I'm honest I may have to give it my own vote.

Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

I've only heard about half of them but voted for Fabio Frizzi closely followed by Univers Zéro. Nice selection instead of the usual albums. I liked the Zanov and am off to search youtube for the whole album to listen to.
Zanov has never been reissued (and not available for streaming or digital files) but you can still get his all albums at a reasonable price. The opening/title track here is just about my favorite slice of progressive electronic:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Add to the list l: Henry Kaiser - Devil in the Drain, Fred Frith and Henry Kaiser - With Friends Like These..., French, Frith, Kaiser and Thompson - Live Love Larf and Loaf
Thanks! Don't know any of these. 

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 04:44
The Dreaming +1

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 06:14
Zanov sounds like Jean Michel Jarre in the 70s. Depends on what you want to call progressive rock  I guess. For me it was the first half of the seventies and then a lot of music, however good, just sounded recycled. Genesis, as much as the progheads hate the post Wind & Wuthering or post Gabriel albums, did the right thing by re-inventing themselves. Fripp also did the right thing by getting out of a sinking ship or quiting while he was ahead and moving on. I was into other stuff in the 80s and found that there was more to creative and adventurous  music than just progressive rock during that decade. i couldn't really cast a vote here. Just because something is obscure doesn't mean it's that great.

Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 07:03
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Zanov sounds like Jean Michel Jarre in the 70s. Depends on what you want to call progressive rock  I guess. For me it was the first half of the seventies and then a lot of music, however good, just sounded recycled. Genesis, as much as the progheads hate the post Wind & Wuthering or post Gabriel albums, did the right thing by re-inventing themselves. Fripp also did the right thing by getting out of a sinking ship or quiting while he was ahead and moving on. I was into other stuff in the 80s and found that there was more to creative and adventurous  music than just progressive rock during that decade. i couldn't really cast a vote here. Just because something is obscure doesn't mean it's that great.
The Zanov-tune I just posted is from a 1976-album though. I appreciate innovation but I would never hold a lack thereof against something I love. Some are best at creating art within established traditions and refining what's already there to work with. And although Tangerine Dream has a well deserved place in the history of electronic music that Zanov will never achieve - I respect him and love the beauties he created a few years "too late"* nevertheless. From a 2017 point of view my ears certainly doesn't care whether some music is recorded in 1973 or 1983. Of course the pioneers are both more important and more impressive (I also might add, often more interesting) but that stuff is mainly for music historians and not essential for my listening pleasure.

Anyway I don't know where you got the idea that I think these obscurities are great because they are obscure. I'm not some insecure teenager trying to impress you with things you haven't heard before. I'm a treasure/crate digger always on the lookout for whatever forgotten and overlooked artists I might possibly enjoy more than what gets shoved down our throats. I think these albums are great because I like them - much more than any of the relatively known alternatives I left out. 

*infact he just recently released two albums sounding like lost gems from ca. 1976 and I applaud him for that because I prefer his retrosound to most modern electronic music.   

-------------

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 07:12
Phase IV - just wonderful but on another day I might have picked Ceux

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 07:58
Wow. I only know about half of these but I voted for Univers Zero because it's an awesome record.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 08:45
The Dreaming - top 5 album of all time.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 11:10
^^^^ Being a little retro is not a problem for me (a a few years too late), in fact there's plenty of modern retro that has decased old retro qualities that I love.   Had I the skills, I would love to make an album similar to Sven Libaek's Inner Space.

I know about two thirds of these, and love those albums, and only discovered the majority of them in the past decade, as well as most of what they are similar to, so not discovering them at the time it matters even less to me except from a historical perspective how innovative they were.

Anyway, right now I'm torn between the Frizzi and the Zanov. Giving it to Zanov, but I really love "Paura E Liberazione" off City of the Living Dead.

Incidentally, some of you might recognise this first John Hyde piece, but this which is on a 1982 album featured in Chocky in 1984 and played a part in my development of my love for electronic music.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 15:10
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^^^ Being a little retro is not a problem for me (a a few years too late), in fact there's plenty of modern retro that has decased old retro qualities that I love.   Had I the skills, I would love to make an album similar to Sven Libaek's Inner Space. 

I know about two thirds of these, and love those albums, and only discovered the majority of them in the past decade, as well as most of what they are similar to, so not discovering them at the time it matters even less to me except from a historical perspective how innovative they were.

Anyway, right now I'm torn between the Frizzi and the Zanov. Giving it to Zanov, but I really love "Paura E Liberazione" off City of the Living Dead.

Incidentally, some of you might recognise this first John Hyde piece, but this which is on a 1982 album featured in Chocky in 1984 and played a part in my development of my love for electronic music. 

that John Hyde was lovely. Both music and cover feels so familiar. Maybe you've posted these in another context here previously?

-oh had I either the gift to compose in the style of 70's Morricone, could I make jazz that reminded people of Herbie's Mwandishi-sextet, create soundscapes similar to (Klaus Schulze's) Mirage or had the skills to perform complex Bartok-inspired chamberprog on bassoon, I would have done so proudly - even if my individual voice or personality was the only uniquely "new" aspect about it. According to me as long as I'm enthralled or just moved, intrigued or challenged there's always room for another interpretation. It would probably still sound more forward thinking and innovative than most modern music I hear anyway.

I still haven't given any option my vote. Lately I guess for me too Zanov and Frizzi has been a bigger part of my life/listening than the handful of albums and artists here I've been a fan of for a decade or decades (AZ, UZ, Residents, Kate Bush...)  

-------------

Posted By: unclemeat69
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 02:21
I only the Dreaming but I can't imagine liking any of the other albums listed here any more than that one.

-------------
Follow your bliss

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 03:27
I went for Eskaton's Fiction, which filled with humour

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 03:53
Top list  Clap I go with Kate here.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 11:04

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
that John Hyde was lovely. Both music and cover feels so familiar. Maybe you've posted these in another context here previously?</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">-oh had I either the gift to compose in the style of 70's Morricone, could I make jazz that reminded people of Herbie's Mwandishi-sextet, create soundscapes similar to </span><span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">(Klaus Schulze's) </span><span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Mirage or had the skills to perform complex Bartok-inspired chamberprog on </span>bassoon, I would have done so proudly - even if my individual voice or personality was the only uniquely "new" aspect about it. According to me as long as I'm enthralled or just moved, intrigued or challenged there's always room for another interpretation. It would probably still sound more forward thinking and innovative than most modern music I hear anyway.

I still haven't given any option my vote. Lately I guess for me too Zanov and Frizzi has been a bigger part of my life/listening than the handful of albums and artists here I've been a fan of for a decade or decades (AZ, UZ, Residents, Kate Bush...)  

I've posted the first clip elsewhere when talking sci-fi shows, because Chocky is an, I think, beautiful, quite strange, and poignant children's series, but the of more stagy, teleplay kind of shows that I think more adults would enjoy these days (seems like far too many shows aimed at kids, and adults for that matter, are for the ADD audience), based on a John Wyndham novel. One of my favourite themes these days is the Stranger Things one, which deliberately has a retro 80's electronic feel to it a la Tangerine Dream.

Wholeheartedly agree with your comment about always having room for another interpretation. And if you had the gift to make music like that well, I would buy it. Side-note, but the best composers commonly emulate other composers, but then bring their personalities into it and bring in their own innovations, then the next group emulates them, and so on.... I think that Zanov is terrific, and although he makes music similar to others that came before, I would not call him derivative, and even if he were, I'd call it bloody good derivative, or no, I take that back, I'd just call it bloody good.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 13:31
Another opportunity to vote for the Residents!

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 01:32
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Yaaay! 

Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 04:19
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Yaaay! 
Glad an opportunity to vote for The Residents makes some of you happy. Up to and including Tunes... and the gorgeous Intermission-EP released the same year - their whole discography is just perfect. I love every single release I've managed to get my hands on. But (except the Renaldo & The Loaf-collaboration Title in Limbo) its all downhill from here imo. Its like they suddenly lost interest in creating genuinely fascinating tunes. From 1983-84 and onwards they became 90% uninteresting, bad or dull musically speaking. Any of you think otherwise?

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 16:42

Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Yaaay! 
Glad an opportunity to vote for The Residents makes some of you happy. Up to and including Tunes... and the gorgeous Intermission-EP released the same year - their whole discography is just perfect. I love every single release I've managed to get my hands on. But (except the Renaldo & The Loaf-collaboration Title in Limbo) its all downhill from here imo. Its like they suddenly lost interest in creating genuinely fascinating tunes. From 1983-84 and onwards they became 90% uninteresting, bad or dull musically speaking. Any of you think otherwise?

Many people like God In Three Persons, I wanted to try it out at my local store and the clerk saw it and went, "That's a good one!" It's their best after that classic period. I'm not too big on Demons Dance Alone, but perhaps that will change over time. Many people like Animal Lover considering it their best album. I'm not one of them.

But God In Three Persons is fantastic, and indubitably creative.

Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 16:49
But at the rate they were releasing albums, yeah, probably.. 90% is about right, some really good albums within those years, but very few and far-between. Those albums from the classic-period that get mixed-reception (Fingerprince and Tunes..) age phenomenally, such original pieces of art. Fingerprince is one of my favorite albums, definitely one of their most ambitious. And somehow the perfect middle-ground from the Third Reich to the Commercial Album (I hear elements of each on that album)

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: September 07 2017 at 11:36
Finally, I get to vote for Kate Bush.  And I'm in with the plurality for once!  That was the album which introduced me to Kate's work.  I'd read a rave review in Trouser Press and rushed out and bought it.  I wasn't disappointed.  To this day, it remains my favorite album by her.
"Shockingly Decent" is an understatement.  Finalists include Art Zoyd (who I voted for in a different year), Univers Zéro, Uakti, Pierre Henry & Urban Sax, Cos, Nekropolis, Eskaton, Yog Sothoth & Lacrymosa.  I'm also very fond of Dead Can Dance, After Dinner & Danielle Dax.  Tunes of Two Cities isn't one of my favorite Residents albums.  I'm not familiar with:  Osjan, Zanov, Clara Mondshine or Haniwa-Chan.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 02:16
Kate Bush.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 02:39
Absolutely Kate Bush, one of her greatest albums.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 15:50
Zanov (my French bias?)

Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 16:55
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Zanov (my French bias?)
No all his three first albums are masterworks (especially first and third) even for a non-french such as myself.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk