Which band first got you into prog?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111829
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 10:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which band first got you into prog?
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Which band first got you into prog?
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:03
Which of these bands is the most responsible for you getting into prog for the first time?

Replies:
Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:18
Pink Floyd, although the material wasn't the epic lengths Prog Rock usually had.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:19
The Doors

Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:23
Some of you might be wondering why Devin Townsend is one of the choices. The reason for that is very simple. I once talked to a guy(probably in his twenties)who told me Devin Townsend was who got him into prog when I asked. Although I'm still not very familiar with him he does seem to be rather popular among the younger prog fans(especially prog metal)so I decided to include him. I wanted to list bands here who would represent the diverse age range of prog fans if you know what I mean. In other words older fans are more likely to first get into prog through Gentle Giant than younger fans and younger fans are more likely to get into it through Tool. As with these things there are always ones I left off by accident. A few that come to mind are Asia(although they still get a mention), Styx, Supertramp, Haken and UK. I initially had Haken but decided to add Tool instead. 

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:37
Rush, baby.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 18:40
Pink Floyd

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 20:04
Triumvirat  (who, me?)

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 20:13
Pink Floyd albums listened to in high school on Youtube

Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 20:16
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Triumvirat  (who, me?)

I was actually going to add them as an option just for you but I couldn't think of the name of the band off the top of my head. Lol. I was going to add Eloy also. I also should have added Frank Zappa. Oh well.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 20:27
The first prog band that I was familiar with and liked was Yes, but the band that actually got me exploring the genre more in depth, and in particular 70's symphonic prog, was Camel, so they get my vote here.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:15
It was Jethro Tull, which was recommended to me by a friend who had Aqualung. I listened to it, and I was hooked. Later, I found Stand Up in a record store and I bought it. As I listened to it, I fell in love with the music and wanted to know more about the band, and others with similar approach and tendencies. I went back to my friend, who introduced me to Hendrix, Cream, King Crimson, ELP, etc, and the rest is history.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:15
Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Moody Blues, ELP and Pink Floyd simultaneously. You heard them all on any given day in the early 70s. People didn't listen to music in a sterile internet vacuum back then. FM radio, unadulterated, non-corporate and rebellious, gave you the whole shebang. Often album by album.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Moody Blues, ELP and Pink Floyd simultaneously. You heard them all on any given day in the early 70s. People didn't listen to music in a sterile internet vacuum back then. FM radio, unadulterated, non-corporate and rebellious, gave you the whole shebang. Often album by album.

What about Genesis?

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

What about Genesis?
In my area of suburban Detroit, no one listened to Genesis until probably Selling England by the Pound. So not really until early 74 at the earliest (it was released late 73). So, they were a couple years behind the groups I mentioned. Actually, from what I remember they weren't really big until The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Run Home Slow
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 21:40
My first ever bought LP was Yes Tormato in '80 while entering CEGEP or College for others...at 17 i think, they were coming in Montreal, but i didn't go. Next LP was Genesis: Seconds Out and third was Close To the Edge again by Yes, then someone at school talk to me about Fripp a guitarist... not far behing or next was: In The Court, followed by what will become a passion for me Zappa: Over-nite Sensation, then discoved the other side: Van Der Graaf and Peter solo... Was fun years... Still listening to Can: Radio Waves: Up the Bakerloo, while writing this  :)

This was all playing on my Dad's stereo thing where he played Dalida and other not my genre French Canadian singers like Ginette Reno for those who know her, then i bought my first sound system and enjoy music... and other things related at the time :)

-------------
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 22:07
Actually, it came from several parts, and I didn't even know it was prog. There were some vinyls my grandmother had that I borrowed, and some music I was lent by a friend, so there came Pink Floyd (which I was interested in and asked for), Hamburger Concerto by Focus, the Fifth Season album by Harmonium, Wakeman's Arthur album, Alan Parsons. I got the name of prog seaching for info from Pink Floyd and Rick Wakeman, and because of the Wakeman connection I got interested in Yes. I guess Yes would be the most correct answer to this thread, though, because they are the ones I got into with the knowledge that they were prog, and are the ones that got me into searching for other prog bands.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 22:17
other: Tommy

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 00:20
In this order:

Queen
Saga (!!!!)
Marillion
Fish (Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors)
Barclay James Harvest / Camel /Jethro Tull (bought them simultaneously)

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 01:15
My very first was ELP.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 01:34
From the list, Floyd's DSOTM album (second or third album I ever bought  with my money).

but Supertramp's COTC is the album that threw me in prog back when it was released (Sept 74), though preceded by Harmonium's debut album a couple of months before and Jethro Tull's Stand Up & Aqualung (from my dad) a few years before...

Posted By: Paco Fox
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 02:13
I started listening serioulsy to music in the late 80s. So you know what that means to prog. My introduction to prog was not by a prog band. It was the Love Over Gold LP from Dire Straits. After that, I got into Mike Oldfield. Some time later I met a guy who asked me what I liked, and I told him that 'Telegraph Road' was my favourite song and probably Omadawn was my favourite album. "Aha... so you are a progger and you don't know it". So he gave me The Snow Goose. Then it was a run for listening to the most important groups of the genre and to never ever talk about music with a woman or even getting laid.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 04:50
Pink Floyd. The others came later.

-------------

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 05:31
YES>GENESIS>RENAISSANCE>CAMEL>EL&P>RUSH>KANSAS

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 05:51
The Beatles for me

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 08:29
Genesis,ELP and Camel

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 09:07
I wrote a long post going through my history based on sometimes vague recollections, but no one, or hardly anyone, wants to hear me reminisce.
I'm going to say The Alan Parsons Project. I fell in love with I Robot early on in my life and I think that album more than any other set me on this journey.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 09:25
Tangerine Dream, followed by Jean-Michel Jarre, Goblin, Kraftwerk, Synergy, Vangelis, Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP and King Crimson.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 09:28
Yes, Going for the One, swiftly followed by Genesis, Floyd, Oldfield....the usual suspects

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 09:37
From the moment the needle dropped on "The Musical Box" circa 1976, I was hooked.  Would veer away for a couple of years from time to time, but I always came back to prog.  (BTW, after listening to that we listened to the whole of Trick of the Tail. Sealed the deal.)

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 10:38
Genesis kicked it off for me, with Yes just around the same time.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: questionsneverknown
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 11:16
I think the sequence went something like this:
Rush-->Yes-->Pink Floyd-->King Crimson-->Zappa--> . . .

-------------
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 11:59
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

From the moment the needle dropped on "The Musical Box" circa 1976, I was hooked.  Would veer away for a couple of years from time to time, but I always came back to prog.  (BTW, after listening to that we listened to the whole of Trick of the Tail. Sealed the deal.)

I remember getting Nursery Cryme at school, and looking forward to putting on the turntable when I got home. It didn't disappoint, and it is still, to these ears, the embodiment of all I love about that particular era of prog.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 12:14
Other:  The Beatles.  

For me, the innovation of Sgt Peppers makes it by definition the first "progressive rock" album and opened the flood gates for all innovative prog that followed. 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 12:52
Strawbs first really piqued my interest when Noel Edmonds played Benedictus on his Saturday morning show(and I now love the band), Pink Floyd caused me to look further, but Camel made me a lifelong fan.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 13:28
Pink Floyd got me into prog, although during my teen years I listened a lot The Beatles and ELO beside the new wave stuff.
Then came Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Gong, Yes and Genesis.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 13:38
Since early Prog was part of popular music at the time I woke up to listening, there were a number of artists and bands I was familiar with before I started collecting.  The one that probably stands out the most is Yes, followed by Tull, ELP, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and The Moody Blues.  These were all bands I was familiar with from radio play.  After that came Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Hackett, Gabriel era Genesis, and Kansas.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 13:42
Wow, still no votes for Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Opeth, Tool or Dream Theater and relatively few votes for Rush. Where are the younger voters out there? Smile

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 15:51
King Crimson.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 01:58
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

For me, the innovation of Sgt Peppers makes it by definition the first "progressive rock" album and opened the flood gates for all innovative prog that followed. 
The Doors were doing songs like "The End" before Sgt Peppers.

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 02:08
I put ELP down as they are the best band on this list, but the truth is back in the early 70s we did not know we were listening to 'prog' - the genre had not been really defined then (when I was a teenager, this great new music was filed under 'contemporary rock' in the record shops!)

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 06:25
Rush.

Exit stage left changed how I listened to music. It changed what I considered t be important I rock music. I had heard and enjoyed Floyd before then, but it was this Rush live album tha really got me into prog rock. Genesis, caught my ear next, and that was me hooked, and confirmed a prog rock fan.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 06:49
I loved prog metal when I was in high school (Angra, Dream Theater,etc.)
ELP got me into full-blown prog.rock

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: WrytXander
Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 09:56
Pink Floyd came first, but Dream Theatre got me interested in the actual genre. Surprised there weren't any others though, maybe the website needs some younger users? :P

-------------
20+ prog bands discovered and explored in 3 years, still going strong...

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 11:56
Kansas. Leftoverture was there first album of any kind I ever bought. Big fan of Carry on Wayward Son, but the rest of the album sounded weird to me. Oddly enough the first of the deeper cuts I took a looking to was Magnum Opus.

As my taste grew, Genesis became my favorite. But I sort of got into Hackett via Walsh's vocals on Narnia, played by my local AOR station. And whether or not I knew it was him, Hackett's guitar drew me to Genesis.

-------------
-John

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 15:09
1974: Mike Oldfield, Rick Wakeman, Camel, Focus, Stackridge, BJH, and Genesis.

But the first 'band' that really pulled me in has to be Camel and the lp 'Mirage' 

-------------

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 16:24
Rush all the way... maybe it's because I'm Canadian and quite a bit younger than many of the people here. Started listening to them in the mid-2000s, around the time of R30.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 17:38
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

The Doors were doing songs like "The End" before Sgt Peppers.

Ya, The Doors were very cool and The End is brilliant and unlike any song that came before, but the album as a whole hardly stands up to the musical innovation of Sgt Peppers where multiple styles, unusual instrumentation, odd time signatures, cutting edge production techniques, introducing recorded samples of other material and album cover design all combined to create a cohesive work of art that changed the entire musical landscape.

Besides, I doubt The Doors could have gotten away with printing the lyrics to The End on the album cover LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: September 03 2017 at 17:59
I probably should have included more proto bands(of which I do consider the Doors to be a part of)but I guess I didn't think most of them would have turned music fans into prog fans. Still, I suppose I could have included the Beatles, The Doors, The Nice, Sot Machine, Procol Harum, Traffic, MOI(or even just Frank) etc.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 01:09
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Rush all the way... maybe it's because I'm Canadian and quite a bit younger than many of the people here. Started listening to them in the mid-2000s, around the time of R30.

Good to see that someone else was reeled in to the world of prog by Rush, like I was.

I'm reasonably old though - 48- but still missed the 'golden era' of prog, so the Moving Pictures/Singals era was my introduction.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 01:34
Queensryche, Dream Theater, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, Progresiv TM, Sfinx, Magellan, Vander Graff Generator, etc

Posted By: thebeastmustdie
Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 13:03
Keith Harris & Orville.

closely followed by King Crimson.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 13:49
Genesis. Had heard 'Moon, but things stuck with 'Tail.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 16:03
I got into a bunch of bands roughly around the same time(this was the 80's).. Genesis, Yes, ELP, Rush, Pink Floyd.. Hard to look back now and put them exactly in the order that I discovered them lol. 

Other bands I discovered MUCH later.. Camel, Caravan, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant, Marillion, Eloy, Barclay James Harvest, etc. 

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 16:50
Floyd for me, shortly followed by Oldfield, Yes & Genesis.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 20:35
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Genesis. Had heard 'Moon, but things stuck with 'Tail.

Mad Man Moon or Dancing with the Moonlit Knight? Wink

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: September 04 2017 at 20:50
Rush, Jethro Tull, and Pink Floyd

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 08:48
My older brother went away to University in 1972 and came home with a cassette tape that had Fragile on Side A and Meddle on Side B.

So I voted Yes. Had he inverted that it would have been Pink Floyd.

Either way, my life was forever changed.

(Although I was already in love with the first two Chicago LP's and was deep into We're Only In It For The Money. Does that count?)

Maybe it was the "Englishness" of the two bands on that fateful cassette tape that just made them feel so different. So important. So awesome.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 09:11
voted Yes

I was also listening to Tull and Kansas around the same time

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 10:15
KC 

followed by Zappa, GG, Genesis, and Yes. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 14:34
Fates Warning got me into Prog.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:48
Uriah Heep (Demons & Wizards) and Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed), 
then Yes and Nektar and Pink Floyd

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:55
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Uriah Heep (Demons & Wizards) and Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed), 
then Yes and Nektar and Pink Floyd

very nice 

Moodies (DoFP)
Uriah Heep (Salisbury)
Bo Hansson (LotR)
JMJ (Oxygene)
Yes (TYA)

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: September 07 2017 at 10:32
I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was a sunny Friday afternoon in the late summer of 1969.  I was out in the backyard of my parents' house on Long Island.  I was on summer break before my senior year at Stevens Tech.  I was reading and listening to the radio while stretched out on the chaise longue.  Every Friday afternoon Scott Muni had a show on WNEW-FM called "Things from England" where he played rock not released in the US or at all yet.  He played the track In the Court of the Crimson King from the album of that name.  I sat bolt upright and have never been the same.

Date Posted: September 08 2017 at 21:22
^Only thing is that album was released in mid October of 1969 and not late summer. 

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: September 08 2017 at 21:30
For me it was YES. I didn't know it was called prog at the time :)

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: September 09 2017 at 02:33
I'm not certain, but it probably was some Krautrock. my parents were hippies and very much into Krautrock. a friend of them did military service in Kaiserslautern, Germany and sent them all the new Krautrock albums, and I heard them all day. they were always stoned and so was I because of all the sweet smoke in the air

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 09 2017 at 03:23

^Only thing is that album was released in mid October of 1969 and not late summer. 

Which explains this "... Every Friday afternoon Scott Muni had a show on WNEW-FM called "Things from England" where he played rock not released in the US or at all yet...."

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 09 2017 at 12:11
Manfred Mann's Earthband

Date Posted: September 09 2017 at 12:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Which explains this "... Every Friday afternoon Scott Muni had a show on WNEW-FM called "Things from England" where he played rock not released in the US or at all yet...."

Point taken. However, he would still have to wait a couple of months before he could actually buy the album. Wink

Date Posted: September 09 2017 at 18:48

Point taken. However, he would still have to wait a couple of months before he could actually buy the album. Wink

And I did.  Long, long months.  But my enthusiasm never waned.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: September 12 2017 at 15:33
The moody blues in 67, then Pink Floyd in 68

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: September 12 2017 at 18:18
I heard Pink Floyd all throughout my childhood but don't consider them prog and they never turned me over to any other prog artists either. So I vote King Crimson who got me looking at Yes, ELP and Dream Theater 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Date Posted: September 13 2017 at 09:03
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Well, if you first heard it in late August of 69 on that radio show then that's actually less than two months so maybe more like a month and a half. Tongue

Date Posted: September 13 2017 at 19:28

Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Well, if you first heard it in late August of 69 on that radio show then that's actually less than two months so maybe more like a month and a half. Tongue

I know, but I was so gobsmacked by the track that it seemed like freakin' forever!

Posted By: spacecaptain53
Date Posted: September 14 2017 at 00:26
It was in the early 70's and Allison Steele 'the Night bird'  on WNEW-FM in NY played Tangerine Dream's Sunrise in the Third System. I followed up on my own to hear their other records- Phaedra, Zeit, Alpha-Centuari, Rubicon and Ricochet. Forty five years later that same music is still unsurpassed.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: September 15 2017 at 10:58
The first Two prog bands I remember as a kid were Yes & Renaissance .
( My brothers record collection)

Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:21
Pink Floyd came in first place
Yes came in second 
King Crimson came in third

Here's the final tally:

Marillion have one vote
Dream Theater, Kansas and Tool all have 2
Camel and Moody Blues both have 3
ELP has 4
Jethro Tull has 6
Rush have 8
Genesis (any era)have 9 (this means some might have first gotten into Genesis through their pop period but worked their way backwards and became prog fans later; This could be the case with other bands too but especially Genesis since they were the most overtly poppy imo). 
King Crimson has 10 votes 
Other(various bands) 11 votes
Yes have 15 votes
Pink Floyd have 18 votes
No votes for the rest which is surprising considering Opeth, Gentle Giant, PT and Steven Wilson are among those with no votes whatsoever. Voting is still open but I'm probably not going to update this list again so this is where it stands now.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:37
FLOYD. Guess they would be many folks' gateway to Prog.
Hah ! Opeth were my gateway to Tech-Death !!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:17
Yes "Fragile".

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: May 15 2018 at 11:10
Pink Floyd got me first into prog - but Gabriel/Hackett -era Genesis turned it into a life-long passion.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 16 2018 at 07:57
Yes, ELP and Pink Floyd but I heard Yes first (by a few days...)

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 16 2018 at 10:41
Probably The Moody Blues and Tull in '68 and '69....though I also liked early Procol Harum and Traffic.
After I heard the first KC in the spring of 1970...it had come out in the fall of '69....I really started to look for other bands/ albums in that style.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: May 16 2018 at 12:18
SBB

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: tempest_77
Date Posted: May 16 2018 at 12:49
Muse was first

Then Queen

Then Pink Floyd

And at last, Yes.

-------------
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on https://tempestsounds.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - my bandcamp !

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: May 16 2018 at 14:03
First it was Dream Theater and Steve Vai (about 20 years ago).

Before that the closest to prog was Queen and Vangelis.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 17 2018 at 08:33
Manfred Mann's Earthband (and Floyd in second place).

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 17 2018 at 08:49
toss up between Tull (Stand Up at age 6) Supertramp (Crime at age 11) and Floyd (nearly all of them existing at the time  at age 12)

EDIT: f**k ,Censored I voted and answered already on page 1

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: May 17 2018 at 11:51

There was no group that made me think "This type of music is much better than the crap I've been listening to previously, I'll continue listening to that from now on." And although it wasn't the first prog rock music that I had heard or even liked, Pink Floyd was the prog rock group that had the greatest early influence on me.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: May 17 2018 at 12:05
Absolutely Pink Floyd.

Date Posted: May 17 2018 at 17:45
My guess would be that Pink Floyd probably has by far the most non prog fans. ;)

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 17 2018 at 20:08
Thinking way back, it was probably Pink Floyd. My dad had DSOTM, WYWH, Ummagumma and Animals, and I branched out and got Meddle on my own. It really whetted my appetite for extended works.

Edit: hang on, I didn’t notice the Moodies as an option. I was listening to them avidly as early as age 4. I just didn’t think of them as prog. They were more like the Beatles to me.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: May 18 2018 at 20:48
Other: Santana... you know, the early stuff, not "Smooth"

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: May 19 2018 at 01:54
First progband I heard was Yes, but I was then four or five years old. Can´t really say Yes got me into prog then, it was Pink Floyd much later when I understood how great music prog was.

Posted By: Mattie Konig
Date Posted: May 19 2018 at 13:20
Gotta be Fink Ployd, followed by the usual other suspects (Yes, KC, ELP, Genesis, etc)

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: May 19 2018 at 21:12
Floyd was first at an early age. But it were weren't for Soft Machine and Crimson and Yes and Rush and many of the other earlier bands listed it is hard to say how things would have turned out...

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 00:34
Pink Floyd

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: RomerilloLaMissFripp
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 08:42
My prog fire was first sparked by Muse, Pink Floyd and Tool, it slowly burned with psych/stoner/doom bands, got fueled by guitar virtuosi like Buckethead/Vai/Satriani, then finally burst into flames with King Crimson, Soft Machine and Yes. The fire has only gotten stronger since then, though these days I'm so used to it that unless I turn the radio on prog music doesn't sound that mind-blowing anymore. Kinda wish I could go back to the first time I listened to these bands to experience that wonder again.

Posted By: REXFORD
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 09:12

The Doors
they aren't prog.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 10:13
Originally posted by REXFORD REXFORD wrote:

The Doors
they aren't prog.

what they were doing is seen by many as proto-prog. I kinda agree. :)

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 15:38
^^The OP asked which band...didn't say prog only, but then listed prog bands on his list., but did have a spot for 'other'.
I always liked the more 'atmospheric' bands like The Doors and Jefferson Airplane when growing up over say Credence or The Stones, though I listened to all of them back then and bought many single 45's. and later the lp's. I really didn't have a single 'prog' band that led me into that direction(and I think that's true for a lot of us old timers...)..it was a combination of many interesting bands...

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk