Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111914
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 21:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Start of the Neo Prog Era
Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Subject: The Start of the Neo Prog Era
Date Posted: September 15 2017 at 16:52
In another thread, a discussion of whether 70's bands that were overtly influenced by Genesis and other early Symphonic bands could/should be considered Neo Prog has come up.  Rather than limit responses to those following that thread...not to mention totally hijacking the thread which I've already been accused of once Wink...I wanted to start a new one to hear opinions on this.

So, when do you define the start of the Neo Prog era?  Even the PA definition seems open to interpretation:

Neo-Progressive rock (more commonly "Neo-Prog") is a subgenre of Progressive Rock that originally was used to describe artists strongly influenced by the classic symphonic prog bands that flourished during the 1970s. At the beginning of the neo-prog movement, the primary influence was early to mid-70's Genesis. Debate over when Neo-Prog actually came into being often takes place, with some asserting it began with Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear in 1983. Others contend it began with Twelfth Night at the dawn of the 80s, while some even suggest the popular symphonic prog band Genesis gave rise to Neo-Prog with their 1976 album, A Trick of the Tail.

I'd be curious to hear when others would define the start of Neo Prog.  Is it simply a question of being overtly influenced by the original 70's symphonic prog bands?  If so, would you consider the 70's output of bands like Ange or Eloy to be the start of Neo Prog?  On the other hand, was it stylistically defined by the release of a specific album, say Script From a Jester's Tear for example?  Instead, was there a cultural aspect of it as well that ties Neo Prog to the rise of the NWOBPR?  Or do you have a totally different interpretation?

I always considered it tied to the NWOBPR at the start, but then it spread out to include non-British bands in a stylistic rather than cultural definition.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Replies:
Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: September 15 2017 at 17:14
Saga.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: September 15 2017 at 19:51
I always thought that they were waaaay better than Rush. I'll listen to any Saga  album. In Transit is a great live record engineered by Deiter Dierks. Just never could get into the newer bands that started coming out in the 80s. Marillion was interesting but they had run their course after Misplaced Childhood. For me they were a novelty when they came out. I still listen to them. Actually listened to Clutching At Straws the other day. 

Neo prog could have started as early as the early seventies with copycat bands like Triumvirat because when you really consider it most of the groundbreaking bands of progressive rock had stated their cases by 1974 or so.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: September 15 2017 at 21:06
Saga seems to be a good contender for first neo prog band. I've also heard that ATTWT by Genesis was the first neo prog album. There was some stuff before that that maybe hinted at neo prog. It's hard to tell but I don't think neo prog became official until the eighties.

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 06:01
The first neo progressive rock album ?

Twelfth Night -Live At The Target (UK-1981).

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 10:24
^Entirely instrumental, so definitely not neo-prog. 

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 10:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Saga seems to be a good contender for first neo prog band. I've also heard that ATTWT by Genesis was the first neo prog album. There was some stuff before that that maybe hinted at neo prog. It's hard to tell but I don't think neo prog became official until the eighties.

Saga's a symph band that took inspiration from Styx, Gentle Giant, Yes and other bands. They didn't sound like emulators, though. 

Now Starcastle were essentially Yes wannabes, and they got their first album out two years earlier (1976). So those guys would be neo way before Saga would.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 10:46
Adonis by Anyone´s Daughter (1979)

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 10:49
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

why? neo-prog is not supposed to be instrumental?

I listened a while ago to an Italian band, all instrumental that I would definitely call neo-prog; did not like them that much, but they were neo. 

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 11:22
Saga, though influenced by other progressive bands of the era, had a unique approach to their music, and the way they composed it. I think Neo-prog was a slow progress (or evolution if you wish) from the 70s sound, mixing less classical influences than the original bands, and more of the tendencies that flourished during the late 70s and early 80s. By the time Marillion came, the sound had fully blossomed and had taken a life of it's own, giving birth to what we now call Neo-prog.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 14:44
In the UK a lot of the older bands (who had 'survived' the (supposed) 'purge' of punk) had been re-thinking (or trying) to re-think their style. So lps like 'I can see your house from here', 'Duke' and 'the Wall' are a selection of these bands trying to adapt (successfully or not) to different times. Also when NWOBHM came along, it was looking at the earlier 70s metal but energised to some extent by punk and the 'spirit of the times' and so when British neo prog (NWOBPR) came along it was trying to recapture elements of earlier prog but also energised and imbued with some of the post punk/ new wave ethic. Also I remember that Rush were just beginning to get big here and were still considered more of a heavy rock band but they crossed lots of musical boundries and had a fresher sound that lots of the old Brit bands had lost.. I think that they helped knit quite a bit of NWOBHM and NWOBPR scene together, at least initially.

Of course that's just one 'Brits' view from the time but every country had its own version i'm sure.

-------------

Posted By: ClaudeV
Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 16:18
Neo-Prog is an invention by some purists. It does not exist. All those 80's bands were prog forced to put a few pop songs in there for record companies to bbe happy.

Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 16:29
Originally posted by ClaudeV ClaudeV wrote:

Neo-Prog is an invention by some purists. It does not exist. All those 80's bands were prog forced to put a few pop songs in there for record companies to bbe happy.

Most of the Brit Neo prog bands (with the exception of Marillion) were all originally released on small, private or independent labels so (relatively) free of those pressures.  Yes I think the 'Genre' was invented but not by 'purists' but by lazy music journalists. And Yes, I think the urge to maybe reflect/ relate to some elements of 'pop' was there but I think that was more to do with these guys being 18-21 years in age rather than 40+ years.. and remember, Genesis thought they were writing 'pop' songs in the tradition of the Beatles etc when they made Trespass, Nursery Cryme etc

-------------

Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 16:33

This is correct.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 16:40
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

This is correct.

I respect your view and maybe for the late 60's/ 70's bands this is true but the bands referred to as 'Neo prog' from the UK started very small and it was a very small and fairly underground and released on cassettes and very limited private pressings. EMI saw the success they were having with Iron Maiden and that interest was starting to shift towards prog and went out looking and found Marillion.

-------------

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 18:26
I'm with Cosmiclawnmover on this one
Those were young lads listening to all these Genesis and Floyd vinyls their older brothers had, trying to recreate this type of music, while also being no strangers to then-current trends and enjoying loads of other music, be it punk, new wave, post-pink or gothic rock.

Also freaking hate it when ANY post-70s Prog band gets called Neo-Prog. Neo-Prog was a British phenomenon, gradually influencing other countries - Polish Neo scene was HUGE in the 90s, and don't you forget Italy, Sweden or USA, too - but it's got that signature sound/manner/style about it, so calling ANY non-classic Prog band (Anglagard, Dream Theater, Radiohead, The Mars Volta, what have you) "Neo" is simply wrong

Posted By: ClaudeV
Date Posted: September 16 2017 at 21:02
Marillion started on EMI with simpler songs right away, while doing Grendel. 

Twelfth Night took a turn to shorter simple songs when they signed with a record company, Music for Nations, than Virgin.

IQ were very prog until they signed with Vertigo

Pallas were forced to cut great songs from their first album on EMI, The Sentinel.

If those bands are neoprog, then Genesis was neoprog in the seventies. Happy the man, I know what I like, Cuckoo Cocoon, Counting out time,  Carpet Crawlers, It. Trick of the tail, Your own special way, etc...All simpler songs that are not really prog, but within great prog albums it was OK.

That being said, it is clear that bands in the 80's did not have the same artistic freedom, except on self produced albums like Fact and Fiction or Tales from the Lush Attic.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: September 17 2017 at 10:02
I vacillate between Trick of the Tail and Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.  

Date Posted: September 17 2017 at 10:09
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I vacillate between Trick of the Tail and Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.  

Genesis and symphony prog + some Pink Floyd influenced the neo prog sound, that's all. 

Date Posted: September 17 2017 at 12:46

Clap Some 20ish years ago, some guy called Martin Orford declared "There is no 'neo-prog'!"

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 17 2017 at 13:01
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Adonis by Anyone´s Daughter (1979)

I'm always happy when the great AD is referenced, even when being accused of starting neo prog!
But really, I think Adonis is a symph prog album.  One might consider the sub titled second album, or even "Neu Sterne" from 1982 to be the first, even though sung in German.  

Then again, there are only a few officially neo prog albums that I consider to be better than any of the Anyone's Daughter studio albums. 

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: September 17 2017 at 16:26
It started with ATTWT, and Dukes Travels & Dukes End, perfected with Second Home By the Sea. Yes, they were a pale imitation of themselves. However, it was also a part of a period which saw a lot of tribute bands, especially Genesis tribute bands. Neo Prog bands were tribute bands that did not want to do covers.

All Neo stuff is not bad. Some stuff in the Script had some small micro innovations in the Prog spirit. I do not see a problem in gaining influence and inspiration from older bands. However, for those who define Prog by its fusion with other styles (not me necessarily), Neo was not this and it was probably pretty noticeable to a lot of people. I remember a couple Marillion guys were interviewed on the radio once when passing through Buffalo. Someone calling in asked them why they sounded like Old Genesis, and the Marillion guys got immediately defensive, denying much of an influence. The keyboardist insisted he was much more influenced by Yes. I thought it was odd at the time that Old Genesis as an influence could be a negative thing. The real question is what the music achieves.

For me, Neo-Prog got real boring, as it either avoided doing instrumental stuff, or did very bland instrumentals with synth atmospherics worthy of anyone's time on an elevator.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: September 17 2017 at 18:56

Saga's a symph band that took inspiration from Styx, Gentle Giant, Yes and other bands. They didn't sound like emulators, though. 

Now Starcastle were essentially Yes wannabes, and they got their first album out two years earlier (1976). So those guys would be neo way before Saga would.

This is the first time I've ever heard it suggested that emulating someone(whether intentionally or not) automatically equals neo prog. If you listen to Starcastle their music is way more traditional symph prog and complex than typical neo prog so imo they don't qualify. I would even say Styx would be a better candidate than Starcastle.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 02:05
The second Machiavel album (1977) is also an early example.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 04:08
To me, neo prog is a less of a genre and more of a designation for the 2nd wave of prog bands that formed in the eighties and nothing more than that. Prog is prog.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 05:16

All genre labels are such inventions; the music can happily live without them, and the question of "existence" is always a question about how we like to talk rather than what's really in the music. This doesn't make neo-prog any less useful or fitting as a genre label than any other.

I think neo-prog is associated with a certain attitude of starting something new that is distinctly different from other musical trends of the time but makes very conscious reference to more classic prog (which at that time was frowned upon). I found this attitude pretty explicitly in Marillion for the first time, but I may not know earlier contenders. Surely, in my view, the label should not apply to bands that were around for a long time already in 1980, because regardless of how their music sounded at that time (or be it even 1976), this was not their attitude.

PS: I came across Saga before Marillion but I think that the conscious reference element wasn't as strong in their music; they wanted to do their own thing entirely. I love Anyone's Daughter but in the framework of the neo-prog discussion I'm afraid that they came late to the party (if as an extremely welcome guest) rather than being part of the creation of a new movement.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 06:12
Neo is just a sticker. After the initial surge of 80s prog had slowed down and the internet got up and running people have found a lot of bands from the end of the 70s that sounded very close to the neo sound ie a distinct 80s sounding production especially heard through the keyboards.
Doesn't mean anything other than music, just like every other artistic merit, flourishes differently under different banners and circumstances. Back when The Stooges started out nobody called them punk mostly because punk didn't exist...at least not as music style or attitude. Still you will find a LOT of music journalists and connoisseurs alike who claim The Stooges as one of the pioneering acts inside punk.
Music is a story that skewes time...for better or worse.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 06:45
If you count Saga as neo-prog, than Kingdom of Madness by Magnum should be a neo-prog record, or the debut by Toto.

But I don't think Saga is neoprog. The were too much of a pop-prog band. They didn't have extended songs and until Generation 13, they didn't even have a conceptalbum (except for the chapter, but that's different).

I love Saga to bits, but mainly because they were more direct and had a combined hardrock/synthpop approach. Both of wich are not really prog-genres.

I guess the whole, Twelfth Night/Pendragon/Pallas/Marillion-movement count as neoprog, also because other neoproggers base their sound on those bands.

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 06:55
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

I guess the whole, Twelfth Night/Pendragon/Pallas/Marillion-movement count as neoprog, also because other neoproggers base their sound on those bands.

you forgot about IQ who released music before Pendragon and Pallas. 

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 08:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

you forgot about IQ who released music before Pendragon and Pallas. 

That would be a typo. How could I ever forget the great IQ, or even The Lens which existed even before IQ.

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:52

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 10:08
I believe Vienna by Ultravox both album and song hade some impact on neo progs sound aesthetics as did other new romantics act. Midge Ure era Ultravox reminds me of the pathos of Pallas and Marillion

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:26
Ultravox were one of my favorite groups of that era.  You couldn't really call them prog but they did have that serious arty aspect that we prog fans like.  I thought Vienna superb and then "Quartet" was also a great album, particularly "Hymn"

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:35
Vienna is such a great album...but I must say that I've never thought of Ultravox as a prog band or even affiliated with the scene.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 12:55

I would even say Styx would be a better candidate than Starcastle.

Styx isn't prog. Wink

-------------

Posted By: progrockdeepcuts
Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 17:33
early Split Enz?

-------------

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 17:37

But I don't think Saga is neoprog. The were too much of a pop-prog band. They didn't have extended songs and until Generation 13, they didn't even have a conceptalbum (except for the chapter, but that's different).

I love Saga to bits, but mainly because they were more direct and had a combined hardrock/synthpop approach. Both of which are not really prog-genres.

Good points.

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2017 at 17:43
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

early Split Enz?

Mental Notes (1976) is an excellent album, but I wouldn't call it neo prog.  To me it doesn't sound like they're trying to emulate any 70's prog bands, it has it's own style Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 07:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

To me, neo prog is a less of a genre and more of a designation for the 2nd wave of prog bands that formed in the eighties and nothing more than that. Prog is prog.

This makes a lot of sense to meSmile

And perhaps there needed to be a "label" when Marillion made it big and people actually noticed that prog was still around.

I like the idea that Ultravox influenced '80s prog, I've often thought that they could have made a great concept album with long complex songs: Vienna is such a brilliant mini-epic and still sounds absolutely amazingClap

Anyway, for what it's worth, IQ (for me) are still the best and most consistent neo-prog band, whether the label is right or not...

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 07:56
Well, according to Wikipedia which you should always take with a grain of salt, neo-prog took lots of influence from Genesis, Camel and Pink Floyd with touches of funk, punk and hard rock.

The Enid also gets credit as a predecessor for fusing rock with classical especially with Ralph Vaughan Williams influence. Another influence seems to be the keyboards on Rush's "Grace Under Pressure" however i'm not sure i buy that since Twelfth Night and Marillion were well under way as bands at that point. 

There is also word that the Swiss band Nautilus could be a link between the symphonic prog of Genesis and the true neo-prog as RYM classifies it as neo-prog and PA as symph. Defining when genres and subgenres begin is usually not so easy as it is an introduction of elements over time that usually gently nudge a style in any particular direction. Some have even called Genesis' "Wind And Wuthering" a neo-prog album.

Personally i would go with Twelfth Night

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 15:43
I tend to think of Neo as just being a simpler form of symphonic prog rock. Genesis were already plotting the future away from mainstream prog when they recorded ATOTT. It was not necessary to be so complex to be successful and that was a message that got through to a number of young musicians at the time.
In any case many of the eighties bands just didn't have the chops to be like an early ELP or Yes so had to settle for this style anyway. IQ are one of my favourite bands and seemingly came from a very mixed up punk versus prog background which made them more interesting than most other bands of the era. Marillion were able to break through to commercial success thanks in the main to having a great showman who could 'sell' the music (and write the odd catchy tune along the way!) . I can't say that I took much notice of anyone else at the time although It Bites perhaps were the other notable band that surfaced during this time. Blatant 'pop prog' and they did very well indeed! Perhaps that was just what it was meant to be all along.

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: October 11 2017 at 08:42
Genre labels are a necessary evil. Try describing, in words, how a band sounds without referencing any other band or any music that previously existed, and you'll see that this is the case.

Date Posted: October 11 2017 at 09:31
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Genre labels are a necessary evil. Try describing, in words, how a band sounds without referencing any other band or any music that previously existed, and you'll see that this is the case.

Interesting though that no one really used very many genre labels until the mid to late 70's...before that there were a few big buckets like rock, soul, classical, etc.  Nowadays things have gotten so extreme and narrow it's silly.  A band can't just be considered, "metal", they're, "progressive funeral doom metal"...and what if a "progressive funeral doom metal" band went outside the narrow bounds and released a "neo prog" album back in 1975?  All the "I'm a progressive funeral doom metal" fanatics would blow a gasket and we'd have to incorporate that album into our debate in this thread LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 11 2017 at 15:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

why? neo-prog is not supposed to be instrumental?

I listened a while ago to an Italian band, all instrumental that I would definitely call neo-prog; did not like them that much, but they were neo. 

Submarine Silence?

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: October 11 2017 at 20:41
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Neo prog could have started as early as the early seventies with copycat bands like Triumvirat because when you really consider it most of the groundbreaking bands of progressive rock had stated their cases by 1974 or so.

Har!  Don't let Presdoug see that!!  

Not to mention the other famous copycat, Starcastle (friends of mine actually). 

I don't have a clue when "Neoprog" started, I never even heard of it before I started hanging out around here.  
If it is original bands that were heavily influenced by classic 1970s bands, I would argue there is no such thing as "neoprog," as it is simply a spectrum that spans time.   Even a band such as Flash could be considered as "neoprog" using some of the definitions on PA. 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: October 11 2017 at 21:21
^yeah! actually the correct question would be: when did the term NEO-PROG actually come into existence? Then someone had to retroactively designate bands from the past to fit into the newly coined sub

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 11 2017 at 23:05
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Har!  Don't let Presdoug see that!!  

Not to mention the other famous copycat, Starcastle (friends of mine actually). 

I don't have a clue when "Neoprog" started, I never even heard of it before I started hanging out around here.  
If it is original bands that were heavily influenced by classic 1970s bands, I would argue there is no such thing as "neoprog," as it is simply a spectrum that spans time.   Even a band such as Flash could be considered as "neoprog" using some of the definitions on PA. 

Ah, Charles, as spot on as ever. Mind you, I had to leave the neo prog team for spouting this, and other similar, heretical opinions

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 02:19
I think Genesis were the front runners in the so called neo-prog movement. You could argue that started with ATOTT, maybe even the Lamb, but for certain I would say neo really took off between 1977 - 1980 with albums like And then there were three, The UK debut album and maybe even Going for the One/Tormato by Yes.

The sound of changed and the approach to songwriting both musically and lyrically.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 06:55
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^yeah! actually the correct question would be: when did the term NEO-PROG actually come into existence? Then someone had to retroactively designate bands from the past to fit into the newly coined sub
I agree. I wasn't aware of the term "neo-prog" until I joined PA and there certainly wasn't any talk of a new type of prog when Marillion were in their infancy, or in the days of post -Gabriel Genesis.

Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 14:40
What would be the antonym of neo-prog??

Old prog?  Classic prog?  The good stuff??

-------------

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 14:57
Neo-Retro ?
Furious Nostalgia ?

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 15:17
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

What would be the antonym of neo-prog??

Old prog?  Classic prog?  The good stuff??

Paleo-reg (i.e. old-regressive)

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 15:39
It is my understanding from a previous conversation with a member of the Symphonic Team is that the main difference between bands being labeled as Neo bands instead of Symphonic bands has to do with the use/sound of the keyboards/strings.  Where as symphonic uses mellotrons and moogs and pianos and hammonds and violins and cellos for their strings, Neo uses that 80's synth sound generated by keyboards that are able to emulate the mellotrons and pianos and hammonds, etc.  There are probably more complicated reasons as well, but coming from somebody who attempted to suggest many, many bands for symphonic only to have them rejected and added to either Neo or Crossover, this was the understanding/conclusion that I came too.

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 16:13
If a band uses DX7's & D50's, they're neo! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 18:30
My band was just added to PA as Neo Prog last month, but the issue of whether my Mellotron or Hammond sounds were made by a 70's Mellotron or a 2 ton B3 vs a modern day Yamaha XF sampler playing actual samples of a Mellotron 400 & B3 never came up.  The technology of the keyboard producing the sounds didn't seem to matter.  My understanding of why I was eventually a fit for Neo was because I formed the band in the 80's and it was influenced by 70's symphonic.  Guilty as charged and proud of it LOL

As part of the PA Neo Prog description reads:

"While the Neo-Progressive genre initially consisted of artists exploring a modernized version of Symphonic Prog, these days artists coined as Neo-Progressive cover a multitude of musical expressions, where the common denominator is the inclusion - within a progressive rock framework - of musical elements developed just prior to and after 1980."

Seems like a pretty wide net Wink

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 13 2017 at 03:56
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I agree. I wasn't aware of the term "neo-prog" until I joined PA and there certainly wasn't any talk of a new type of prog when Marillion were in their infancy, or in the days of post -Gabriel Genesis.

Me too. Hadn't heard the term before coming here. I was all just prog rock to me, to be honest, regardles of how it sounded and how the bands differed from each other or changed over time.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: October 13 2017 at 21:03

If a band uses DX7's & D50's, they're neo! LOL

I had the EXACT same thought!!  LOL!!

-------------

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 13:19
I wouldn't tie it to those new synthesizers, though they of course influenced the sound greatly. A DX7 just doesn't sound like a Mellotron after all. Yet, I think influences from new wave and hard rock are just as important.

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 13:31

Saga seems to be a good contender for first neo prog band.
Don't get me going on that whole Saga thing (they blow!).

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 13:51
I like most genres of prog and to expand this has often confused me over the past few years.  The fact Neo came on the seen during the 80s period and explored newer symphonic bands,  I was happy and willing accept the new genre..  Now I'm finding there's too many genres,  to which leaves me confused to further my discovery of new music.  I have to admit the newer Rio/Avant genre I find too complex and difficult to get into.   But saying that,  I have a number of great artists that fall under that category, which I love too bits.

The only true test is to listen and buy..  Glad that we have bandcamp and YouTube to help us.  Big smile

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 15:27
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

It is my understanding from a previous conversation with a member of the Symphonic Team is that the main difference between bands being labeled as Neo bands instead of Symphonic bands has to do with the use/sound of the keyboards/strings.  Where as symphonic uses mellotrons and moogs and pianos and hammonds and violins and cellos for their strings, Neo uses that 80's synth sound generated by keyboards that are able to emulate the mellotrons and pianos and hammonds, etc.  There are probably more complicated reasons as well, but coming from somebody who attempted to suggest many, many bands for symphonic only to have them rejected and added to either Neo or Crossover, this was the understanding/conclusion that I came too.

There is something in this certainly and some modern symph bands follow the rules exactly as you say (Glass Hammer , Par Lindh Project , Deluge Grander etc) . IQ have recorded some complex music but generally fall back on sampled sounds quite a lot.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 17:36
The Start of the Neo Prog Era 

I thought it was Script for a Jester's Tear.. 

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 18:41
Could never figure out the difference between Symphonic and Neo.  Are these not similar in sound?...Confused  Smile

Specially when comparing newer bands of this generation.  Wink

Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 20:45
Most(if not all)of the neo bands were influenced by the classic symph bands such as Yes, Genesis and Camel but there was an added "cutting edge" element that also showed a slight influence from punk, new wave and heavy metal at times(probably mostly new wave though)and just modern rock in general. The songs were also shorter(for the most part)and not as complex as the old symph stuff.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 23:39
A genre doesn't appear by art of magic with one album, it's a process that lasts years or even decades.

People used to say that Prog was born with ITCOTCK, but where should we leave Procol Harum, The Nice, etc?

The same is with Neo Prog.

Symphonic golden era reached it's peak in 1974, but at the same time people had more problems accepting Relayer and The Lamb, and wanted something simpler.

ATOTT is a starting point, UK second album is even closer, I believe that of Pavlov's Dog would had released Pampered Menial, a few years later, they would had been considered the first Neo band so I would say that Neo Prog is defined somewhere  between 1978 and and 1980.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 05:29
When I was an early teen in the mid to late 70's - Genesis and Yes were referred to as 'Contemporary Rock' as I can remember - or was this just my local group of friends and sharers of my early music influences?
I think the tag "Progressive Rock" was attached later - 'Art Rock' was also used to describe both Genesis and Queen ?? "2nd generation symphonic progressive rock" or 2GSPR began in the year 1980! - 'Live at the Target' is a brilliant example of this I think! - Sequences without the lyrics is superb!

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 08:37
I've always felt it's an unnecessary category since it's essentially just a slightly later version/origin  of symph prog.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk