Print Page | Close Window

Could you play 2000s prog songs in the 70s?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111938
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 10:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Could you play 2000s prog songs in the 70s?
Posted By: paganinio
Subject: Could you play 2000s prog songs in the 70s?
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 06:35
I've been thinking about the evolution of rock instruments. They haven't changed much have they? Of course I'm no guitarist or anything myself, but I guess 70s King Crimson might have been able to play a 2000s Opeth song? Do you think they could do that?

If the answer is no, would it be because new guitar playing techniques have developed over the past 30 years? Is it because the modern guitar amplifiers or other equipment offer a new texture of sound? Let's hear your opinions guys.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: JD
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 06:57
Of course not, for KC to play Opeth in the 70's would require time travel so...

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 06:58
I was thinking more of

Could you play 70's prog in the early 60's??

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 08:07
Strange question. Sorta like asking whether or not Da Vinci could've made an aeroplane if he'd had the right tools. After all he did have a pretty good idea of the parametres of flight.

But yeah sure King Crimson could've played what Opeth plays now...if they'd thunk of it...but just like every other thing that evolves over time music too has it's limitations or boundaries often held up by the very people playing and/or buying the stuff.
A lot of the new prog rock is influenced by what came after the initial wave of prog. Stuff like post-punk, electronica, shoegaze and metal has slowly crept in the backdoor...which tbh is far from sounding like anything produced during that early time period.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 10:31
I don't see why not. If it can be written down on a score, than the notes can be played by anybody that is proficient on their instrument and can read music.

Now, if you mean to duplicate the sounds of the 2000s, that's a different question. The recording technologies are, for the most part, different. So the end result will probably sound somewhat different. Sounds made with software and newer synthesizers probably can't be replicated exactly, but there's a lot that can be done with a Moog synthesizer and the ingenuity of many talented engineers from the 1970s.

I suspect that retro prog bands would be the easiest to replicate in the 1970s: like The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Anglagard, etc.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 21:15
Jordan Rudess does some pretty complex things with keyboard programming that wouldn't really have been possible with one keyboardist in a live setting in the 70s. That being said, I'm sure a creative keyboardist could come up with a part that would work in its place, even if they don't reproduce every single sound.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 21:45
In terms of composition, arrangements, orchestration, I don't see why not. In terms of sound, it would be a little different, since analog had more warmth and imprecisions that gave it a unique flavor to the music, but  got lost with the digital era.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 19 2017 at 23:18
Influence and evolution aside, I guess the modern music could have been played/recorded back then without much trouble... as far as the melodies go. Many of the sounds would surely not have been possible to record exactly as they can be created now, but sureley some equivalent ones could have been used. I mean, I guess Apocalyptica has shown us that metal could have been played in the renaissance days with cellos.

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: September 20 2017 at 00:09
There was a certain mindset back in the late 60s and early seventies that had a lot to do with what was being created. It was a new and exciting concept, blending the classics with rock and jazz ( maybe not so new for jazz, eg Miles Davis Sketches of Spain 1961 ! ) As far as prog goes I don't really care for anything past the late 70s. It was more or less a done deal by then. All these other bands seem to be just retreading a lot. As was pointed out digital recording that appeared really killed the tone of recorded music.  For me you can't beat all that primitive technology that sounded so raw and in your face. Just listen to,Yes playing Perpetual Change in 1973 and then in the 90s. Doesn't compare. To get your answer you would have to get a test band with all that wonderful old equipment and technology and make a record using a seventies mindset neglecting anything that occurred after say, 1978 . It's a very hypothetically loaded question. Impossible to answer really.

Posted By: dbeckton89
Date Posted: September 20 2017 at 03:07
What a pointless topic. They didn't so they couldn't have.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: September 20 2017 at 06:15
The next big thing in time travel novels: Young artist, skilled at multiple instruments but terrible at writing his own music, fed up with Spotify, meets some wacko prog wizard, sends him back in time to London in 1970 with a suitcase full of scores from the 1990s and 2000, seeks out other talented musicians and starts recording them, but keeps the scores locked up in a vault somewhere...

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: September 21 2017 at 03:51
Wow I never knew that.  I thought the equipment required to play modern prog metal and prog rock would be new models newly developped by their manufacturers. So I thought the modern prog sound was a result of new instrument models from Gibson, Fender, Korg and the like.

Looks like that's not the case.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: September 21 2017 at 17:30
No, one could not. The old in the court era King Crimson could not produce anything close to sounding like the Sheltering Sky. Fast forward to know and advances in current guitar synthesizers leave even that in the dust. Then there are other things like the Moog Guitar and such. Even such mundane things nowadays like digital delays with extra long delays, looping devices and energy bows came toward the end or a little after the Prog era. Delays and loopers had an enormous effect on composition. Energy bows literally redefined the duration of notes a guitar is capable of, and now with sustainer pickups infinite sustain comes with a flip of a switch.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk