Print Page | Close Window

2000's albums by 70's&80's Artist you Should Own..

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112072
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 11:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2000's albums by 70's&80's Artist you Should Own..
Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Subject: 2000's albums by 70's&80's Artist you Should Own..
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 08:49
Much to my surprise several 70's & 80's progressive rock bands have made outstanding 2000's albums.  From my perspective IQ "Road of Bones", David Bowie "Blackstar", Black Sabbath 13, and more than one 2000 era Magma album have dazzled me.  

Anyway, I wanted to comb thru older artists from the 70's & 80's who have made comeback albums in the 2000's,  albums that compare with their halcyon days of yesteryear.   In your opinion, what albums from the 2000's would qualify.   Please include any prog sub genres, proto prog, or prog related album that comes to mind. 

Replies:
Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 08:57
The first that come to my mind are the VDGG post 2000 albums...

Present (2005)
Trisector (2008)
A Grounding in Numbers (2011)
Do Not Disturb (2016)

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 09:16
Marillion - Anoraknophobia and Marbles

Sebastian Hardie - Blueprint
Focus - 8 and 9-New Skin are pretty enjoyable
IQ post 2000 is great, all 4 albums
Pendragon - Pure & Passion
Deep Purple - Now What!
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Fates Warning - all albums starting 2000 (Disconnected) until last year's album. 

I like post 2000 Steve Hackett.

Eloy - Visionary is also a good album. 
Camel - A Nod and a Wink is also quite enjoyable. 

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 09:38
King Crimson - The Construcktion of Light
King Crimson - The Power to Believe
Magma - K.A.
Magma - Emehntehtt-Re
Camel - A Nod and a Wink
PFM - Stati Di Immaginazione
Santana - Shape Shifter
Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
Kate Bush - Aerial
Fripp & Eno - The Equatorial Stars

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 10:12
Deep Purple, King Crimson, Camel, Steve Hackett, PFM have put very good music in the new century, not only one album, but a consistent output of music.

Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 14:23
Great suggestions Guys!  Santa has his work cut out for me. 2000 versions  Wyatt, Deep Purple, Focus, Kate Bush, and VDGG among a few of the others were totally off my radar.   

It will be interesting reading your individual archived reviews of the bands you've listed.  

Posted By: Phipz-97
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 15:02
I think Kansas' "Somewhere to Elsewhere" and "The Prelude Implicit" are great albums

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 15:57
Goblin – Non Ho Sonno (2000); Back to the Goblin 2005 (2006); Four of a Kind (2015) (absolutely essential, as good as they were in their prime!!)

Eloy – Visionary was pretty good, but The Vision, the Sword and the Pyre, Part 1 is on another level entirely!

Tangerine Dream – Views from a Red Train (2008) (a splendid album, and the best all-new offering from Froese & co. since Paul Haslinger left the band)

Ozric Tentacles — Where to start? How about: The Hidden Step (2000), Spirals in Hyperspace (2004), The Yum Yum Tree (2009), and Paper Monkeys (2011).

Fates Warning – Darkness in a Different Light (2013) and Theories of Flight (2016) (an outstanding return to form after two forgettable albums a decade earlier)
Blue Oyster Cult – Curse of the Hidden Mirror (2002) (amazingly, one of their best albums, and they haven't done another studio record since)

Santana – IV (best thing out of that camp in 25+ years)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 19:31
VDGG Trisector, all MAGMA releases, PFM Stati di immaginazione, Wyatt's Cuckooland, Eno's Small Craft on a Milk Sea and others, Ozrics, Thinking Plague, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, anything connected to Tony Levin, some of Steve Hackett's stuff has stellar moments, good call on the Santana IV, Rush had something popular, of course Present and Univers Zero, and Ruyichi Sakamoto continues to push the light fantastic with his cutting edge sound experimentation collaborations. 

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 21:48
For me the first that comes to mind is "Out There" by Rick Wakeman. This year's "Return to Ommadawn" by Mike Oldfield is also really beautiful. For me, Pink Floyd's "The Endless River" was also a very beautiful and enjoyable piece of music. IQ's "The Road of Bones" has been mentioned already, and I do love it (even if it's actually the only album I know from the band). And even though I didn't really love every single song from the album, Iron Maiden's "The Book of Souls" is really great... for what I have heard from the band (which is not a lot, but I might venture to make a guess), this one could just as well end up being my favourite album form them, and I could easily make a choice of songs from it to make a really great single disc album. Now, one last thought... given that 80's bands are included in this thread, Dream Theater could just as well make the cut of choices, since they started in the 80's...

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 03:24
Gong's I See You and Rejoice! I'm Dead are pretty respectable.

Also on a Kavus tip, Cardiacs' Special Garage Concerts, assuming we can count live albums.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 06:11
Camel: The Snow Goose (2013).
Solaris: The Martian Chronicles II.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 08:08
Art Zoyd's offerings in the 2000s may be difficult to access, far more contemporary avantgarde than progressive rock and with a somewhat cold feel to them, but certainly there's no drop in their form. Eyecatcher would be my first nomination but all others (except "Pure Noise" which is just that) are worthwhile, too.

Holger Czukay's 2000s output is also of consistently good quality and innovation value, with Linear City and The New Millenium my favourites.

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 15:15
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Much to my surprise several 70's & 80's progressive rock bands have made outstanding 2000's albums.  From my perspective IQ "Road of Bones", David Bowie "Blackstar", Black Sabbath 13, and more than one 2000 era Magma album have dazzled me.  

Anyway, I wanted to comb thru older artists from the 70's & 80's who have made comeback albums in the 2000's,  albums that compare with their halcyon days of yesteryear.   In your opinion, what albums from the 2000's would qualify.   Please include any prog sub genres, proto prog, or prog related album that comes to mind. 

Hackett has aged very well; I feel To Watch The Storms and Wild Orchids probably outclass any of his classic solo albums. Just marginally predating your stated time period is Hammill's 1999 version of The Fall of the House of Usher, which is enormously high quality.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 15:34
Forgot to mention these...

Ian Anderson - Thick as a Brick 2 (2012), Homo Erraticus (2014)
Roger Waters - Is This the Life We Really Want? (2017)
Cross & Fripp - Starless, Starlight (2015)
Pallas - XXV (2011)
Pulsar - Memory Traces (2007)
Jethro Tull - Christmas Album (2003)

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 05:34
I've been churning thru members recommendations and " What a treasure load of great music!"  

Please delve deeper and recommend more...For me, it's "Christmas in October!"

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 06:11
Magma's K.A. and Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré top my list. VdGG's A Grounding in Numbers, Ian Anderson's Thick as a Brick 2 and David Gilmour's On an Island are other good ones.

-------------

Posted By: David64T
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 06:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Sebastian Hardie - Blueprint

Clap

Seconded - after recording only two albums before splitting up in the 1970's, Seb Hardie released their third (and for now last) album thirty-plus years later in 2012 and it's a nice piece of work, well worth checking out, though with no side-long "epic" (unlike the two '70's albums and the one-off Windchase LP which featured Mario and Toivo).

-------------
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 09:15
Yes Magnification
IQ Dark Matter
David Bowie Blackstar
Kaipa Vittjar
XTC Wasp Star

Posted By: Rasvamakkara
Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 08:38
Gong's I See You is as good as the classic trilogy in my books
Mike Oldfield's Return to Ommadawn is in my opinion also as good as any other Oldfield album
Peter Hammill's Singularity (+ Thin Air, From the Trees etc. if you enjoy his music)
VdGG's Do Not Disturb (and other albums)
Magma's albums
King Crimson's Power to Believe

Posted By: bertolino
Date Posted: December 03 2017 at 03:25
As i am on a mission with Serge Fiori, former lead singer of french canadian band Harmonium, i try to find any place on this forum where i can bring the news so here is an d edit of another post i did on a different post. It could interest quite a few of you and  goes like this:

You may know that, after a third record, Harmonium the Quebecois pastoral prog group disbanded. Some, still  more informed, have heard that it was mainly caused by mental fragility of their charismatic leader, Serge Fiori. Recently he has publicly discussed the fact that a specific drug experience had caused a still damaging kind of paranoia which to this day,  prevent him to come back on stage. Very sad story indeed. After a duo, and a solo album, less and less interesting ones, that was it for him. Years of inner errance, ashrams, meditations had led him to a kind of peacefullness. Now here is the great news.

In 2014, having in his mind sufficiently recover,with  a bunch of songs about his inner experiences, mortality or illness of his parents, overall matters of an aging life, and helped by one Marc Perusse, a musician / producer responsible of some of the best pop/ crossover quebecois records of the last twenty years, he just came back with a solo album simply titled "Serge Fiori". If some of you think Harmonium doesn't qualify as prog', then forget any chance that "... Fiori" will get here anytime soon. Which is a shame in due respect to the administrators. That's why i'm posting this as this seems the only way to duly inform those that can't get enough of the Harmonium sound. 

Because while "Fiori" is not prog at all, it still has all the ingredients that made Serge's music great. First song ,"Le Monde Est Virtuel" is a tribute to the classic Harmonium sound, acoustic guitars, that typical line of bass, more in line with the first record, or the happier, upbeat moments of "Les cinq saisons". Then the fifth song is simply a gift of heart: Serge duets with Monique Fauteux, member of the third incarnation of the band; on "L'Heptade" that's her who is featured on "Le Corridor", apart of all her work as back vocalist all along the record. The song, entitled "Jamais", is simply gorgeous, shivers gauranteed. "Seule" adress his mother's alzheimer in such a sensible and moving way, you are bound to endless tears. Same goes for "Laisse moi partir" (let me go), about his father death. All very sad matters but in true Fiori's fashion, hope is there and the best is kept for the end: "Si bien" (so fine) and his coda "Epilogue" close the record in true uplifting fashion.

And how is his singing will you ask? Because true Harmonium lovers mainly enjoyed Fiori's vocal charisma. One of the nicest, most moving voice in prog or any genre for that matter. To the point that many of you, english speaking, don't give a damn about not understanding the lyrics, not even mentioning that there's always much wordless vocalising in Fiori's music. Here's the true magic: he hasn't lost anything! As an aging sixtygoer, think Peter Gabriel, his voice had lowered a bit, his comfort zone has narrowed, but he still can nail any of the falsetto pitch he tries. And the converted know how much it is part of the most beautiful aspect of his music.
This is a must ear for all those who gave the five stars thumb'up to "Les Cinq saisons, or l'Heptade.
Now more than 40 years of prog listening and still movin'

-------------
45 years of prog listening and still movin'

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 03 2017 at 07:10
Univers Zero - Clivages
Present - Barbaro (Ma Non Troppo)
Magma's K.A. and Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré
Vezhlivy Otkaz - Guis-Lebedi
VdGG's A Grounding in Numbers
Thinking Plague - Decline & Fall, Hoping Against Hope
Mike Oldfield - Return To Ommadawn
King Crimson - The Power To Believe

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 03 2017 at 21:21
Originally posted by bertolino bertolino wrote:

As i am on a mission with Serge Fiori, former lead singer of french canadian band Harmonium, i try to find any place on this forum where i can bring the news so here is an d edit of another post i did on a different post. It could interest quite a few of you and  goes like this:

<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="width: 1487.2px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 13px; table-layout: fixed;"><t><tr ="msgableRow" style="height: 200px; min-height: 200px;"><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider"><div ="msg" style="width: 1334.4px;">

You may know that, after a third record, Harmonium the Quebecois pastoral prog group disbanded. Some, still  more informed, have heard that it was mainly caused by mental fragility of their charismatic leader, Serge Fiori. Recently he has publicly discussed the fact that a specific drug experience had caused a still damaging kind of paranoia which to this day,  prevent him to come back on stage. Very sad story indeed. After a duo, and a solo album, less and less interesting ones, that was it for him. Years of inner errance, ashrams, meditations had led him to a kind of peacefullness. Now here is the great news.

In 2014, having in his mind sufficiently recover,with  a bunch of songs about his inner experiences, mortality or illness of his parents, overall matters of an aging life, and helped by one Marc Perusse, a musician / producer responsible of some of the best pop/ crossover quebecois records of the last twenty years, he just came back with a solo album simply titled "Serge Fiori". If some of you think Harmonium doesn't qualify as prog', then forget any chance that "... Fiori" will get here anytime soon. Which is a shame in due respect to the administrators. That's why i'm posting this as this seems the only way to duly inform those that can't get enough of the Harmonium sound. 

Because while "Fiori" is not prog at all, it still has all the ingredients that made Serge's music great. First song ,"Le Monde Est Virtuel" is a tribute to the classic Harmonium sound, acoustic guitars, that typical line of bass, more in line with the first record, or the happier, upbeat moments of "Les cinq saisons". Then the fifth song is simply a gift of heart: Serge duets with Monique Fauteux, member of the third incarnation of the band; on "L'Heptade" that's her who is featured on "Le Corridor", apart of all her work as back vocalist all along the record. The song, entitled "Jamais", is simply gorgeous, shivers gauranteed. "Seule" adress his mother's alzheimer in such a sensible and moving way, you are bound to endless tears. Same goes for "Laisse moi partir" (let me go), about his father death. All very sad matters but in true Fiori's fashion, hope is there and the best is kept for the end: "Si bien" (so fine) and his coda "Epilogue" close the record in true uplifting fashion.

And how is his singing will you ask? Because true Harmonium lovers mainly enjoyed Fiori's vocal charisma. One of the nicest, most moving voice in prog or any genre for that matter. To the point that many of you, english speaking, don't give a damn about not understanding the lyrics, not even mentioning that there's always much wordless vocalising in Fiori's music. Here's the true magic: he hasn't lost anything! As an aging sixtygoer, think Peter Gabriel, his voice had lowered a bit, his comfort zone has narrowed, but he still can nail any of the falsetto pitch he tries. And the converted know how much it is part of the most beautiful aspect of his music.
This is a must ear for all those who gave the five stars thumb'up to "Les Cinq saisons, or l'Heptade.
</td></tr><tr ="msgableRow"><td ="msgLineDevider"><div ="msgSignature" style="width: 1334.4px;">Now more than 40 years of prog listening and still movin'</td></tr></t></table>

This sounds like something worth checking out indeed. It sounds like it might have more in common with their first album than the next two, if it is less proggy and more song based.

Date Posted: December 04 2017 at 02:05
In a way you're very right Dellinger ; with much better production values quite evidently, and probably with that "prog music is a long gone genre akinded to the seventies"  attitude. So no solos or epics like "L'Heptade" , much more the folk pop facture of the self titled first one. Main difference would be the self awareness provided by a long and tortured life... Don't know how to put it but it's apparent in the music as much as in the lyrics that many of your readers won't catch... Few upbeat tunes but the dominant feeling is one of melancholy. Which is the main value for the "Les cinq saisons" lovers. My motivation in bringing the news, at the end, goes toward those who made of "Les cinq saisons" such a much loved record on this site. 

Thanks for your reaction, it makes my initial post living... Last comment; there is a second entry for Serge Fiori, apart of Harmonium, being Fiori / Seguin. If this one had been put under the "Serge Fiori" solo category (there is another album which don't figure on this site; this one entitled "Fiori", - now he seems to go for that Gabriel thing as long as titles are involved!, truly not a "chef d'oeuvre" but still interesting in that it features mostly Harmonium musicians), it would be much easier to spread the news. Many non prog albums are featured here, by the only fact that some artists were ONCE prog, and turned for something else.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:49
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
Kate Bush - Aerial

I actually like "50 Words for Snow" even more by Kate ... the album is incredible and its compositional style is insanely amazing in that it rarely converts to a "song" format ... she just keeps going and going ... and does not stop, and you get the feeling that many of the pieces in the album could continue for a lot longer ... and some things in this album are amazing ... Steve Gadd's touch with his drums in a couple of pieces are an amazing lesson on how to NOT DRUM in a piece that does not need it ... it's just all touch, and you never get the "mechanical" rock feeling out of it ... and that is an incredible thing to do and see done, and not many folks can do this as well, as Kate did in that album. It is, by far, her most "progressive" album!

RW is different and way better than he was before, however, one thing is very alive now, that you had originally thought was just a joke ... RW is by far the biggest kid on the block having fun with music ... and that fun is contagious!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 04 2017 at 08:10
As a far as i went on a different direction on this post, l can't agree more with what is just being said here about Kate Bush and Robert Wyatt. I love immensely both Aeryal and 50 words... not forgetting that all the second side of Aeryal is one long song cycle; and what about her Before the dawn live album? If an artist has to do one live album in his/ her life this how it should be done.

As for Robert Wyatt , i suppose that it's down to the fact that Robert Wyatt IS Robert Wyatt as simple as this. Constant reinvention within a same framework.

As a little addition , maybe not a record who will turn the prog world upside down, but the new Acqua Fragile, after more than 40 years is a nice little ditty...

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 05 2017 at 08:52
must-own or essential studio albums??? Basically none...Stern Smile

A lot of the better surviving 70's bands still put out worthy albums, but IMHO, none that are essential or must-own (you'll survive if you don't)Evil SmileLOL    UZ, AZ, Present, Gong, Crimson or VdGG all have good (even worthy- albums in the 00's & 10's, but none come to the heels of their 70's stuff

Roger Waters' latest Is This Really... might be better than his previous solo stuff (but not Floyd), even bettering ATD (from 92) and it's certainly not the case of Gilmour. 
Crimson came close with Thrak in 96, but the next ones are just OK 
Wyatt came very close with Shleep (98), but not with his next two.
UZ did do something excellent, but it was sort out of character with Implosion in 04, but went back to its blueprint soundscapes afterwards.
VdGG's best IMHO is Trisector, (better than some classic 70's albums), but essential??  
Santana's IV was pretty good, but I'd say Shape Shifter was even better... are either essential or must-own, though?
Fiori is good, but doesn't equal any of the 3 70's albums.

Date Posted: December 05 2017 at 09:07
Still in crossfire with mr Chantraine!

Total agreement with Roger Waters, as long as one give him the right to quote some Floyd...

I'd let Vdgg with Still life though

As a mellower prog afficionado, my pick is "Scarcity of miracles" but in this case it's down to Mel Collins return

Nice to comment about Fiori as i'm like mentioned earlier on a mission with this one (just look at my new alias) but it IS NOT for his musical value, or prog ratio much even less. So totally in tune with your remark. But if we go for matters of the heart, spiritual values, social impact, and redemption, this may come huge for some quebecois of which i am.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: December 07 2017 at 11:42
Jade Warrior's album, Now, was really quite nice. There was supposed to be another in the works for several years now, but has never actually come out to my knowledge.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: December 07 2017 at 11:47
Oh, and more of an 80s artist, Henry Kaiser, has put out gobs of stuff. I especially like Invisible Rays, which he did with Trey Gunn and Morgen Ågren.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: December 07 2017 at 11:54
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Jade Warrior's album, Now, was really quite nice. There was supposed to be another in the works for several years now, but has never actually come out to my knowledge.

Totally agree, if one doesn't keep in mind the Island era instrumental foursome. It marks the return of the founding member and vocalist. A nice one.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 07 2017 at 12:53
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Oh, and more of an 80s artist, Henry Kaiser, has put out gobs of stuff. I especially like Invisible Rays, which he did with Trey Gunn and Morgen Ågren.

That's a beast of an album.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk