Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 03:52
Choose from my list of faves!

Or state your own..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 04:21
The cover art of the two Yes albums stand out here. Relayer has imo the most beautiful album cover ever.

I don't even like the covers of BSS and ItCotCK.

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 04:47
DSOTM. Simple but effective.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 05:44
Uriah Heep's "The Magician Birthday".

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 05:44
Out of this lot, I go for Topographic   

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 05:46
Relayer from this list.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 06:27
Relayer, from this list.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 07:45
Topo is my fave Dean cover---although Relayer is amazing I like the subject matter of Topographic.
But also love SEBTP and Trick

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 08:14
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

DSOTM. Simple but effective.

This.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 09:17
First vote for Brain Salad Surgery.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 09:20
I think Dean peaked with 'Tales although he's done a lot of nice work since. It gets my vote.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 09:43
Hi,

Amon Duul 2 -- Dance of the Lemmings

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 11:49
Tales from those listed here. 

As far as my overall favourite, though, I'd probably pick one of these. I'm a huge sucker for artwork with vivid colours:

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 12:07
"Other" — for Drama by Yes. I love that cover.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 13:04
From the list, Relayer, which I voted for, because of the dramatic angles and ambiguity of whether we are looking at natural formations or artificial structures.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 13:05
I voted for Tales From Topographic Oceans!!! My fave Dean cover.

But for some reason I've always been fascinated by the Larks' Tongues In Aspic artwork. That cover scared the hell out of me as a kid. And then I heard it - and it scared the hell out of me. Still does.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 13:55
ITCOTCK is a atrocious amateur painting that belongs in the museum of bad art or something. Only thing worse I can think of must be the cover on their follow-up album (In the Wake). Can't you tell? 

Relayer is masterful but so is Warrior at the Edge of Time. Not an easy choice.

Trick of the Tail is very cozy. I think I actually bought it for the fairy-taleish cover and not because I thought it would be any good. It was only one or two pounds anyway. Like most UK prog back in the mid 90's. I had discovered Gabriel-are Genesis but was very skeptical about Phil who I knew mainly for I Can't Dance and Against All Odds etc - as a vocalist). 

One of Rush's better covers I think but it feels like just another cover - not a standout.

I can see why people love both Tales and Dark Side but colors and esthetics are kind of miss for me. 

Brain Salad is sort of impressive but looks like a cover for something sounding like Tool. Yeah looks like progmetal and thats not really a compliment. But then again I hate ELP and especially this album.

-------------

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 14:19
ITCOTCK, followed by Relayer.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 14:52
ATOTT

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 15:35
from the list "Warrior on the Edge of Time", but my favorite one is the original cover of "Hawk Meets Penguin" by the British branch of Amon Düül.

I love how mysterious the cover is. what are a hawk and a penguin doing on a cemetery at night? and why are there mines with burning fuses below the penguin and the hawk's place of landing?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 15:44
^ The music is great, too !!

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 17:48
From this list YES Tales from Topogarphic Oceans, but others are very good.  Only by mention some others: Jon Anderson "Olias of Sunhillow", B J Harvest "Octoberem", Kansas "The Point of know Return", Gryphon "Red Queen...", Camel "Moonmadness"....

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 20:35
Relayer has my favourite cover art of all. Brain Salad Surgery must be one of the most striking ones created, though, and one of the best to have on LP format (along with Thick as a Brick).

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 21:01
Topographic was an improvement on CTTE(cover wise)but relayer was an improvement on Tales. I think with most the ones listed though the cover really goes with the music. I haven't the HW album though. All of the Rush album covers from AFTK up to and including Moving Pictures are great too. Anyway, I voted for relayer.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 21:17
Brain Salad Surgery > Relayer

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 00:48
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

from the list "Warrior on the Edge of Time", but my favorite one is the original cover of "Hawk Meets Penguin" by the British branch of Amon Düül.

I love how mysterious the cover is. what are a hawk and a penguin doing on a cemetery at night? and why are there mines with burning fuses below the penguin and the hawk's place of landing?
That's a nice and mysterious one. Amateurishly drawn in a good way. It has the esthetics of a NWOBHM-demo or something like that, though.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 02:02
My vote was for Relayer.

Good to see BSS getting some votes. It was struggling to get off the ground. I think it's a remarkable and groundbreaking cover.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 08:15
Atom Heart Mother

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 09:36
Love Pulsar's "Halloween." Still creeps me out.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 10:42
Genesis - A trick of the tail

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 11:14
Where's Tarkus?! The finest armadillo tank album cover ever!LOL

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 14:38
The first, the only, the ITCOTCK

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 11 2017 at 05:14
Two contenders which blow away all those on the list:
Strawbs - Grave New World. Blake's Dance of Albion/Glad Day on the front, triple gatefold cover and illustrated lyric booklet with illustrations inspired by the I Ching.
Horslips - Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part. The original issue had an octagonal booklet cover like a concertina, with copious illustrations and lyrics in a the many inner pages. It cost too much to produce, so later ones are simpler, but the originals are exceptionally rare and valuable. My original cover was stolen during a party (I know who did it: he didn't take the album, for some reason, just the cover, but he's dead now so no chance of getting it back) and I have been unable to acquire a new one.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: October 11 2017 at 06:06
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Two contenders which blow away all those on the list:
Strawbs - Grave New World. Blake's Dance of Albion/Glad Day on the front, triple gatefold cover and illustrated lyric booklet with illustrations inspired by the I Ching.
Horslips - Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part. The original issue had an octagonal booklet cover like a concertina, with copious illustrations and lyrics in a the many inner pages. It cost too much to produce, so later ones are simpler, but the originals are exceptionally rare and valuable. My original cover was stolen during a party (I know who did it: he didn't take the album, for some reason, just the cover, but he's dead now so no chance of getting it back) and I have been unable to acquire a new one.

oh, when it comes to that nothing can beat the cover of the first Annequs Quam album. it could look many different ways depending on which way you folded the 4 triangles the front consisted of.

here a few examples:

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 11 2017 at 15:43
Probably Animals for all sorts of reasons but I went for Brain Salad Surgery rather than vote 'other'.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 15:50
Soup Remedies album cover
Soup - Remedies

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 21:07
^ I really liked that album a lot. Didn't expect to find such great music from a real unknown band. Too bad I had to buy it on ITunes, given that the physical copy was way too expensive. But indeed this album should be given more attention than it has got.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: January 02 2018 at 22:56
I'm sorry but i can't find that thread that suggests better album covers than the ones on the site so i'm landing here cuz me's tired!

This .....

should replace the horrible example here...

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2725" rel="nofollow - ETHOS Ardour reviews

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: January 02 2018 at 23:47
TFTO....The whole package including the lyrical graphics is stunning. just edges out the disturbing work by Mr Giger...which was unfortunately censored!

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 01:54
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Soup Remedies album cover
Soup - Remedies

Who is this band again,  heard this 2 months ago and cannot remember.

I like this cover, but not the music!...  Shame really!!!........Confused

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 02:28
Love it or hate it, TFTGO has amazing cover artwork. The concept is incredible and perfectly executed by Roger Dean IMHO.

HOWEVER...I'm biased towards both the art style, color direction, and poetry of the RELAYER packaging. It's total and complete. The only drawback from CTtE is the artwork IMHO! The innersleeve art should have been the cover for that one, but it's still the pinnacle of progressive rock regardless.

Genesis SEBTP has always been a favorite of mine. I love that art style. KC ITCoTKC is very close. Great thread!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 14:10
What a nice set, OP. All mentioned covers lie somewhere between 'great' and 'astonishing', in my opinion. Hard to vote against ITCOTCK's haunting take on expressionism, or Roger Dean escapist masterpieces, but I'd like to give some recognition to Selling England by the Pound. As always with classic Genesis, that cover is very oneiric, fascinating to look at and full of contrast. The rich and poor, order and disarray (garden arrangement vs leftovers), sleeping figure and unsettling skies. Plus there is a good bit of lyrical allusions, too.
So, maybe not the best out of given options, but REALLY mesmerizing and thought provoking. And English to the bone.

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: January 29 2018 at 11:26
Since you did provide an "Other" option, Le Orme - Felona e Sorona.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 29 2018 at 11:42
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Oh, I love that album cover!  Oh YES.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 29 2018 at 12:14
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Oh, I love that album cover!  Oh YES.
As elegant as Modigliani.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 29 2018 at 17:05
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Love it or hate it, TFTGO has amazing cover artwork. The concept is incredible and perfectly executed by Roger Dean IMHO.

HOWEVER...I'm biased towards both the art style, color direction, and poetry of the RELAYER packaging. It's total and complete. The only drawback from CTtE is the artwork IMHO! The innersleeve art should have been the cover for that one, but it's still the pinnacle of progressive rock regardless.

Genesis SEBTP has always been a favorite of mine. I love that art style. KC ITCoTKC is very close. Great thread!

I don't know if you are aware of this or not but apparently the reason for CTTE having the cover it did was because Roger Dean wanted the main focus to be on his new logo for the band. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk