Print Page | Close Window

Which album do you wish they had made a clone of?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112115
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 05:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which album do you wish they had made a clone of?
Posted By: condor
Subject: Which album do you wish they had made a clone of?
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 12:34
For me, Blackwater Park

Replies:
Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 12:37
The first Neu! album. Can't get enough of it. Such a great mix of dynamic motorik tracks and experimental contemplative pieces. Thank god Neu! '75 exists.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 14:19
Quiet Sun's Mainstream, perhaps.

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 14:21
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

The first Neu! album. Can't get enough of it. Such a great mix of dynamic motorik tracks and experimental contemplative pieces. Thank god Neu! '75 exists.

Long ago I owned but one Neu! album, and for years I thought I had Neu!

Then one day I discovered I actually had Neu! '75

True story.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 14:27
I'd rather have 2 copies of my favourite lp rather than a 'clone' lp.. I must admit that an lp like 'Rotter's club' by Hatfield and the North, which is one of my top 5 lps, I wish they had made one more lp in a very similar vein.. I know there is the first H&TN lp and the National Health lps but Rotters Club is such a great lp that there should have been more..

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 15:08
KHAN - Space Shanty. And don’t say Hillage’s Fish Rising coz it’s totally different

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 15:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

KHAN - Space Shanty. And don’t say Hillage’s Fish Rising coz it’s totally different

I agree.....great album and they should have stayed together and done another.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 16:59
I would have loved another Relayer, or at least another Yes album with Moraz.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 18:50
None. I like music to be original, and I don't particularly like when an album gets imitated, instead of producing music with original inspiration.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 20:38
^ Yeah, I might be temted to search for albums that would have been nice to get something similar again... but then again, Court of the Crimson King is a cornerstone of prog, and one of the greats, and then came Wake of Poseidon, which has lot's of similarities to the first one, yet for me each and every equivalent part is weaker, being the title track the only one I really like.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 22:08
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yeah!!! A second Khan album would have been absolutely killer.

Like others have said, though, I don't think I'd usually want to listen to any album that was a "clone" of another, but there are definitely some very unique albums where I wish the artists had followed up by exploring that album's sound further, Space Shanty being one.

A couple of others in that vein would be Herbie Hancock's Sextant and T2's It'll All Work Out In Boomland.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 22:36
What would be the point of having two different albums that are exactly the same? Lol. I guess I shouldn't take the question too literally. In any case I would like to hear albums that are very similar to the following:

Relayer
Close to the Edge
Going for the One
Selling England by the Pound
Voyage of the Acolyte
A Trick of the Tail
Emerson Lake and Palmer (self titled debut)

I won't say In the Court of the Crimson King because we already have that in In the Wake of Poseidon. ;)

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 22:54
No, I would not want a clone of any of my favorites.  Instead, I would prefer a new album of similar or greater quality.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 05:08
A clone of an album would be exactly the same as the original. What would be the point of that?
Do you mean one that's similar?

Posted By: condor
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 05:59
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

A clone of an album would be exactly the same as the original. What would be the point of that?
Do you mean one that's similar?

Yes, same structure and message. Different songs.

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 06:07
Gong. To extend the PHP trilogy to a PHP quartet

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 06:48
I think a modern Genesis album WITH Gabriel and Hackett would be the most interesting thing ever.  Considering how far each of these musicians (phil, peter, steve, tony, mike) have changed / progressed since 1975.  I think it would be mind blowing. AND YES  IT SHOULD BE A HUGE EPIC CONCEPT ALBUM.  The world needs thoughtful music.  There's very little out there that is thought provoking beyond a simple booty shaking.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 07:37
UK's original lineup; wish they'd done two.

Space Shanty's a great choice.

A second MacDonald-Giles might be interesting, too.

Why didn't Laurent Thibault keep going after Mais on ne peut pas rêver tout le temps?

I'd love to hear a follow-up to Jannick Top's Infernal Machina.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 07:49
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I would have loved another Relayer, or at least another Yes album with Moraz.
Good call.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 08:29
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I'd love to hear a follow-up to Jannick Top's Infernal Machina.

!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 08:59
Ommadawn

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 09:24
What?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 09:42
When Camel were deciding what to do after Mirage, Pete Bardens suggested a concept album based on Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. Eventually, they went with Doug Ferguson's suggestion of The Snow Goose instead, but they did record two tracks based on the Hesse novel - Autumn and Riverman - which are exquisite.

My regret is that they didn't complete that album at some point. It would not have exactly been a clone of The Snow Goose, but I'm certain it would have been a worthy addition to their discography.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 10:19
I would have liked to see Ambrosia continue down the path they began with their first two albums, rather than go down the path of least resistance.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 18:40
ELP - Trilogy.

I still don't fully understand the whole "We have to be able to play it note for note live" mentality they adopted after that one. Although the complexity of overdubbed keyboard parts would be challenging, I still believe they could have done an excellent job of presenting the music live.

I did sound for a two piece band (keys and drums) and they played Santana, ELP, Genesis and a host of others through the magic of arrangements. The band sounded full. I can recall countless times when people asked "Where's the rest of the band hiding" or "They must use pre-taped backing tracks" which they didn't.

God I love the energy of that album. I can't think of one recording that's like it. If you can, let me know, I'd love to hear it.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 21:28
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Ommadawn

Well, there's the new Return to Ommadawn, which I guess is the closest you'll ever get to having a clone of the first one. Actually, it does feature many equivalent segments. And even though Ommadawn is still Oldfield's best album for me, the new one is magnificent all the same.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 04:17
All of them and none of them.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 08:53
Hercules mentioned two rare Camel tracks.....Autumn and Riverman....where can one find those?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 10:38
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

ELP - Trilogy.

I still don't fully understand the whole "We have to be able to play it note for note live" mentality they adopted after that one. Although the complexity of overdubbed keyboard parts would be challenging, I still believe they could have done an excellent job of presenting the music live.

I did sound for a two piece band (keys and drums) and they played Santana, ELP, Genesis and a host of others through the magic of arrangements. The band sounded full. I can recall countless times when people asked "Where's the rest of the band hiding" or "They must use pre-taped backing tracks" which they didn't.

God I love the energy of that album. I can't think of one recording that's like it. If you can, let me know, I'd love to hear it.

The title track alone. For me, the finest work of the band, and Keith Emerson's masterpiece.

Posted By: Rasvamakkara
Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 09:11
Gentle Giant's Acquiring the Taste comes to mind. The twilight atmosphere of the album is something I really enjoy and the sound of the album is something I haven't found elsewhere. Even though Acquiring the Taste is certainly versatile enough so that I don't seem to get bored of it, I wouldn't mind another album in the same vein. As much as I like some of their later albums as well (especially the live performances), the technical wackiness seemed to overpower the calmer and more mystical sound of AtT a bit too completely.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 10:09
I would have loved another Hemispheres or Farewell To Kings.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 14:38
Tubular Bells........ Oh, I forgot - he did......several times! Sorry, couldn't resist.

On another note, I really wish Dream Theater had kept up with the Images and Words style. Awake didn't reach that peak and really only Scenes came close to that style again.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: frankbostick
Date Posted: November 02 2017 at 09:12
Comus - First Utterance
Black Widow - Sacrifice

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: November 03 2017 at 04:56
Would be nice if a modern prog band would be able to truly match the patience, skill and ambition of Tales From Topographic Oceans...

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: November 03 2017 at 15:00
Bowie's Lodger

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk