Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112133
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 21:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mid period Porcupine Tree albums
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Mid period Porcupine Tree albums
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 19:56
I won't include any other options because if I did I may as well list all their albums. Lol. 

Replies:
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 19:57
Oops. I forgot "recordings." Oh well. 

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 20:10
I go for Signify. At least, for me, it’s absolutely perfect, end to end.
I

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 01:49
Stupid Dream.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 03:15
In Absentia is the only classic and almost flawless album they made, so that gets my vote. It's my top PT album, closely followed by Signify.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 03:23
This is a somewhat strange selection after having read the poll title. I mean Signify is regarded as part of the early psychedelic years whilst In Absentia was PT's first album with their new alt metal sound signature professionally backed up by new drummer Gavin Harrison. The three mid period PT albums I can think of are Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings; all of which fumble around with a certain laid back pop melody on their lips.

Out of the poll choices though it is Signify by quite a vast margin.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 05:18
Signify for me.

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 08:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This is a somewhat strange selection after having read the poll title. I mean Signify is regarded as part of the early psychedelic years whilst In Absentia was PT's first album with their new alt metal sound signature professionally backed up by new drummer Gavin Harrison. The three mid period PT albums I can think of are Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings; all of which fumble around with a certain laid back pop melody on their lips.

Absolutely agree. Of those three, my pick would be Stupid Dream.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 08:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Completely agree. I love all four, though.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 09:09
Stupid Dream.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 09:39
Yep. They don't all fit into the same sound but that wasn't my goal. I was going more by how they fit in within the timeline of their music so it was more of a chronological thing. I agree though you could break down their catalog like this:

Early psych/Krautrock/PF inspired period:

On the Sunday of Life
Up the Downstairs
The Side Moves Sideways
Signify (although this one has hints of the period to follow)

Alternative/pop prog period 

Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
Recordings

Metal influenced period

In Absentia (although in truth this still retains many elements of the previous period and only about maybe three or four tracks have any real metal in them imo)
Deadwing
Fear of  a Blank Planet

Post metal period:
The Incident (this is one of the few I haven't actually heard but it seems they moved away from metal at this point. Sadly this was their last release.)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 09:46
SD

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 10:11
all are excellent

but In Absentia for sure

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 14:39
Signify is my favorite PT album so I voted for it.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:00
Stupid Dream, I guess.
In Absentia is hard rocking prog by the numbers. Massively overrated album by a massively overrated band.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:29
I cannot make a choice, all excellent

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 19:14
Stupid Dream

Recordings is fine too.

-------------

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 22:53
Shouldn't Metanoia be included?
Signify gets my vote just in front of In Absentia.

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 03:05
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The Incident (this is one of the few I haven't actually heard but it seems they moved away from metal at this point. Sadly this was their last release.)
It's not that sad once you hear the album.

I'm giving some love for Lightbulb Sun, there are quite a few favourites on that one.

Posted By: ColonelClaypool
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 03:25
Lightbulb Sun for me, it has ...Evacuate Planet Earth which is one of my favourite tracks on any PT album. Vote could just as easily have gone to Signify or Stupid Dream, however.

I always felt PT became a poorer band when they replaced Chris Maitland with Gav Harrison, the metal influenced style never really suited them imo. In Absentia is one of my least favourite PT albums overall, the only ones I like less are Deadwing and The Incident.

-------------
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 06:09
Stupid Dream because I discovered PT with that album. Wink

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 06:14
Well consider me one of the outliers here in that I voted for Lightbulb Sun. A big part of it is I have fond memories of that tour and album and it occupies a special albeit somewhat sentimental place for me.

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 06:18
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It's not that sad once you hear the album.

I'm giving some love for Lightbulb Sun, there are quite a few favourites on that one.

So, the Incident is not a very good album? I'm not sure I understand your comment. 

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 09:04
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Stupid Dream, I guess.
In Absentia is hard rocking prog by the numbers. Massively overrated album by a massively overrated band.

So massively overrated that nobody in North America has ever heard of them

except for the odd proghead

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 11:38
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Stupid Dream, I guess.

So massively overrated that nobody in North America has ever heard of them

except for the odd proghead

That's not true at all. In fact most people who are into music know who Steven Wilson and PT are these days and not just prog heads.

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 11:50
I guess I am hanging out with the wrong people!

I have never heard PTree on the radio before,  so I have trouble believing they are widely known, but I am in Canada.  May be different in other places.  

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 12:49
Signify/Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun

In Absentia

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 13:31
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

I guess I am hanging out with the wrong people!

I have never heard PTree on the radio before,  so I have trouble believing they are widely known, but I am in Canada.  May be different in other places.  

I honestly don't think being Canadian has much to do with it. I admit that PT are probably one of those rare bands that became rather big without the radio. I did hear one PT song on the radio once and that was even before they had an album on the charts(but just before; it was "blackest eyes" from In Absentia). But I remember growing up in the eighties Iron Maiden and Metallica were very popular and they didn't get any time on the radio either so it is possible. 

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 19:28
Very close between Stupid Dream & Lightbulb Sun.. .. On any given day I might pick one over the other.. ..
Giving it to Lightbulb Sun today.

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 20:15
^ My feeling as well. It's basically a toss up. However, for personal(and sentimental) reasons(having met SW in person and seeing them twice in 01 on that tour)I chose Lightbulb Sun. 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 21:30
Originally posted by ColonelClaypool ColonelClaypool wrote:

Lightbulb Sun for me, it has ...Evacuate Planet Earth which is one of my favourite tracks on any PT album. Vote could just as easily have gone to Signify or Stupid Dream, however.

I always felt PT became a poorer band when they replaced Chris Maitland with Gav Harrison, the metal influenced style never really suited them imo. In Absentia is one of my least favourite PT albums overall, the only ones I like less are Deadwing and The Incident.

I only have live albums with Chris Maitland, while I do have all their albums with Gavin Harrison... mostly because those were the albums available at the store when I was getting them. However, I did like Maitland's drumming better... or at least there were more drumming parts that would catch my ear from those albums... perhaps because they were live albums. I do want to get those studio albums I'm missing, though I understand they would be more pop and less atmospheric than what I found on the live ones, I don't think they would top them (Coma Divine and Warzawa, specially Coma Divine would be my favourite PT album, out of the ones I have got).

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 21 2017 at 02:41
IA for sure but Stupid Dream is still important to me as it was the first album I bought by them and I still like it. Signify is a really interesting album. All over the place but some great stuff. Never paid enough attention to Lightbulb Sun for some reason.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: October 22 2017 at 03:01
Well, I voted for Lightbulb Sun just to get the vote up because to me it's not the least best album of the four in this poll. Realistically, though, In Absentia is the best album Porcupine Tree ever made.

Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 10:06
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Well, I voted for Lightbulb Sun just to get the vote up because to me it's not the least best album of the four in this poll. Realistically, though, In Absentia is the best album Porcupine Tree ever made.

Then that's the one you should have voted for. Wink I really don't want any skewed poll results. 

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 10:42

So, the Incident is not a very good album? I'm not sure I understand your comment. 
It's their worst album, in my opinion. I feel the band didn't have much else to say by that point.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 16:49
In Absentia is where Wilson found the sound I finally clicked with - although it was Deadwing that really hit the mark! I've enjoyed the earlier three albums retrospectively - although slightly less consistent at times.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 17:15
[I always felt PT became a poorer band when they replaced Chris Maitland with Gav Harrison, the metal influenced style never really suited them imo. In Absentia is one of my least favourite PT albums overall, the only ones I like less are Deadwing and The Incident.]

I agree. In Absentia(while I still quite like it)was the beginning of the end for me.  

I actually never heard the Incident. Was that metal influenced too? Based on what I have heard it seems like they had moved back toward an earlier sound on that and away from metallish music but I don't know for sure since I never heard it. I guess we'll never know what direction they were heading in. Oh well. 

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 23:31

[I always felt PT became a poorer band when they replaced Chris Maitland with Gav Harrison, the metal influenced style never really suited them imo. In Absentia is one of my least favourite PT albums overall, the only ones I like less are Deadwing and The Incident.]

I agree. In Absentia(while I still quite like it)was the beginning of the end for me.  

I actually never heard the Incident. Was that metal influenced too? Based on what I have heard it seems like they had moved back toward an earlier sound on that and away from metallish music but I don't know for sure since I never heard it. I guess we'll never know what direction they were heading in. Oh well. 
In my opinion The Incident is not just strong musically. Musicians lose their inspiration for whatever reason. They can change the band members around, or go solo which is what Steven Wilson did to be inspired again.

Date Posted: October 30 2017 at 15:53
Based on what he said in interviews it sounds like he felt he hit a wall with PT. He felt limited as to what they could do as a band and thus what he could do with them and felt he could only play music the others liked(one member didn't like jazz while another didn't like classical etc). Since PT was his baby he quietly decided to not go back to his "ex." He might not have used that analogy but it seems appropriate.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk