Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112170
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 14:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Guitar Models
Posted By: Larkstongue41
Subject: Guitar Models
Date Posted: October 25 2017 at 16:10
The 4 most famous guitar models (except for the SG; the ES335 seems more popular). I'm really fond of the sound of the Telecaster, the Stratocaster seems like the most versatile guitar model, the Les Paul seems to be the most popular among guitar players but I have to go with the SG. Soooo sharp and it's used by some of my favourite guitar players (Frank Zappa, Manuel Gottsching, Jerry Garcia).

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Replies:
Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: October 25 2017 at 16:34

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: October 25 2017 at 16:53
Fender Esquire/Telecaster

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: October 25 2017 at 19:26
As a player, I tend to gravitate towards my strats.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: October 25 2017 at 23:05
My choice!  Gibson Les Paul, of course!  Superior sustain compared to the others, and a more pleasing scale vs. Fender's Stratocaster in my own opinion.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 05:31
Depends on the track and what you're trying to achieve. 

I'll also put a word in for PRS here as well. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 05:33
Oh puh lease not a Flying V. 

Gibson are $520 million in debt at the moment and haven't come up with a decent design since the SG. The company was recently offered to Peavey for $1, Peavey had a look at the books and refused. 

I do like LPs and SGs but Gibson have produced some howling horrors in the past. By the same token, so have Fender. 

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 05:52
Heritage H 500. It would be the modern day version of the Gibson Les Paul. Quite versatile and amazing sound and sustain!!!!

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 06:50
It depends who is playing it. Just for fun - two teams. One which mostly plays Gibsons, one which mostly plays Fenders (though I know Andy Latimer uses a Strat pretty often!).

Pick!!

Team Gibson       

Steve Hackett

Andy Latimer

Jimmy Page

Martin Barre

Andy Powell

Steve Howe

Tony Iommi

Robert Fripp

Joe Bonamassa

Jan Akkerman

Slash

Team Fender   

Dave Gilmour

Richie Blackmore

Jimi Hendrix

Rory Gallagher

Jeff Beck

Ted Turner

Richard Thompson

Mark Knopfler

Robin Trower

Eric Clapton

Stevie Ray Vaughan

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 09:14
Hi,

Honestly ... the guitar is not the issue ... it's the person behind it that is more important. 

Sometimes one chooses this guitar or that because the neck is thinner or thicker and fits your hand better, and that has little to do with anything else but the person's comfort with the instrument.

This is, btw, quite different from many of the instruments in an orchestra that have been the same for way more years than the electric guitar, which is the one instrument that has been updated and changed to mix/match many people, and it still came out really well and good. Think violin, and you can name only one for the past 300 or so years, I bet!

The player and his/her comfort zone is way more important than it being a Fender or a Gibson ... and tomorrow a Jane or a Kathy!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 11:05
I'm a fanatic SG lover.  In '69 the majority of San Francisco musicians played SGs and a couple of bassists played EBs.  The  only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head were Jorma, Weir & Country Joe (ES-335s), Steve Miller (Strat, I think) & Gary Duncan (ES-175).  And, of course, John Cipollina played a customized batwing-pickguard orange SG.
Jack Casady played a Guild Starfire.  David Freiberg (QMS) & Bruce Barthol (Country Joe) played Fenders, although I don't remember which.  I'd guess Precisions.  I don't remember what Dickie Peterson played on bass with Blue Cheer.
Jerry played an SG & Lesh an EB when I saw them in '68 & '69.  Sam & Jim played SGs (Jim's painted in psychedelic colors) and Peter played in EB with Big Brother when I saw them.  Barry Melton played an SG.  Leigh Stevens (Blue Cheer) played an SG.
Beyond San Francisco, Glen & Michael played SGs and Dennis played a green glitterized EB when I saw The Alice Cooper Band over many years.  When I saw Cream at Hunter College in '68, Eric played a psychedelicized SG and Jack played an EB.  Frampton played a white, three pickup SG when I saw Humble Pie multiple times.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 13:35
It's been done.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 13:51
^ Couldn't find anything with the search engine and anyway there is relatively high participation so what the hell.

^^ Ooph you got me jealous right there with all those shows you attended. Never realized the SG was so popular.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Honestly ... the guitar is not the issue ... it's the person behind it that is more important. 

Sometimes one chooses this guitar or that because the neck is thinner or thicker and fits your hand better, and that has little to do with anything else but the person's comfort with the instrument.
Yea sure of course but still each guitar model has its own specific tonality and it's possible for someone to like the sound of the G chord on a Telecaster better than on a Strat whoever is playing it.

I remember once reading that the acoustic guitar Robert Fripp used for the League of Crafty Guitarists he had chosen only because it was fitting well to his body when sitting.

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

It depends who is playing it. Just for fun - two teams. One which mostly plays Gibsons, one which mostly plays Fenders (though I know Andy Latimer uses a Strat pretty often!).

Pick!!

Team Gibson       

Steve Hackett

Andy Latimer

Jimmy Page

Martin Barre

Andy Powell

Steve Howe

Tony Iommi

Robert Fripp

Joe Bonamassa

Jan Akkerman

Slash

Team Fender   

Dave Gilmour

Richie Blackmore

Jimi Hendrix

Rory Gallagher

Jeff Beck

Ted Turner

Richard Thompson

Mark Knopfler

Robin Trower

Eric Clapton

Stevie Ray Vaughan

With those guys listed I'd choose Team Gibson easily. Fripp (pretty surprising YOU put him in there Wink), Akkerman, Latimer, Hackett, Howe, Page is pretty hard to beat.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 14:03
Les Paul.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 14:06
GLP

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 14:22
In an interview with Rolling Stone, Hendrix was asked 'How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world?' He answered,  'I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher.'

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 14:33
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I'll also put a word in for PRS here as well. 

Yep, best guitars I've ever felt or heard... and probably the most beautiful ~

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwigh5uykY_XAhVF7WMKHU-FBr4QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prsguitars.com%2Findex.php%2Felectrics%2Fcore%2Fcustom_24&psig=AOvVaw1dtTGF6hqlQVvT9eeXKIbF&ust=1509136305751420" rel="nofollow">Image result for PRS Guitars images

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 14:35
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Hendrix was asked 'How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world?' He answered,  'I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher.'

Clapton said the same thing about Prince.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 15:13
My own modest collection....I tend not to throw stones at any good guitar or bass, regardless of brand! 

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 16:44
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Clapton said the same thing about Prince.

After a show Jim Hendrix told the members of the group Chicago, "Your guitar player is better than me."  As we all know that guitar player was the late Terry Kath.

As a side mention two often not mentioned guitarist Terry Kath and Roy Buchanan both played Fender Telecaster.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 17:04
Different tools for different jobs Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 17:17
Les Paul Standard > Fender Telecaster Custom  my top solid electric guitars

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 17:58
Mosquito's comment has it right - it all depends on the player.  Even many of the players listed under Team Gibson or Team Fender have played a variety of guitars depending on the period of time or the individual song.  For myself as a player, I will take a Strat over anything.  Very comfortable with a clean sound, it has amazing flexibility for style and sound.  That is simply my own preference, however, and I would never criticize a guitarist for playing something I myself do not like to play.  Not that I wouldn't mind a Gibson ES335 or a Rickenbacker 6 or 12 string.  I have also been impressed with Gretsch.  I once played a $150 Japanese knock-off of unknown brand or design that played and sounded like a dream.  It often comes down to the individual instrument.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 23:03
^ I also owned a Japanese variation on a strat much like this one, and it too was a joy to play --

http://www.music-trade.co.jp/IMG_8588.jpg

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 23:06
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

My own modest collection....I tend not to throw stones at any good guitar or bass, regardless of brand! 

Nice!  Reminds me of my knife collection.

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2017 at 23:08

Excellent, I've got one of those as well!  The prize is a handmade hunting knife by Ruana!  

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 04:32
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Oh puh lease not a Flying V. 
I used to think the Flying V was cool until I actually tried one :P

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Different tools for different jobs
Exactly!

Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 05:21

Excellent, I've got one of those as well!  The prize is a handmade hunting knife by Ruana!  

Hmm, a fixed blade man, I need a few good ones myself, I like the smaller Skinners (I usually collect folders).  
Here's a few current prizes --

http://www.knifepurveyor.com/jeremy_robertson_calvera_cutlery_el_patron_3v_framelock_knife_7740.aspx" rel="nofollow">Jeremy Robertson Custom Knife Calvera Cutlery El Patron 3V Framelock - Jeremy Robertson custom knife - image 1

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 06:25
Actually having a properly set up guitar with pickups appropriate to the job at hand makes a world of difference as well. 

Here's a few of my guitars, I've got basses and partscasters as well. 

This is what gets me when people say "Les Paul". Well, one there has P-90's, one's got standard humbuckers, you can get mini humbuckers as well etc etc etc. If you say "Strat", then the sound is completely different if you have vintage output pickups or high power rails in. Also, given the setup, action height and gauge of strings, no two guitars will feel or play the same. 

If you're just saying "I know nothing about Stratocasters but I think I like them".... well. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 06:47
Some (yep) of my brother's guitars... he quite likes Fenders. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 07:14
Note to self: next guitar is a cheap PRS or clone. ;-)

One good point above. You can pick up a guitar with, say, serial number 12345. If you pick up one with serial number 12346... it can play completely differently.

So, "would you prefer a good Gibson or bad Fender ? " 

Knock the headstock off a Gibson and you're in a world of pain. Knock it off a Fender ? Get a new neck. Neck moves on a Fender ? Well, some do. They don't tend to on Gibsons. Truss rods bend on Rickenbackers, and can be difficult to fix. Etc etc etc.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 13:20
Gibson Les Paul. Mine was stolen back in June, the one pictured in my avatar. They broke the passenger side window and drug it out. They also got some highly prized guitar synthesizers too and some of my favorite effects devices. I'm using an Aria Pro II - RS Ina Zuma V now. I'm working on replacing my guitar synths and effects. My next major guitar purchase will probably be a Gibson SG, because that's the next guitar I wanted anyway before the theft. It will be awhile before I get together enough to replace my Les Paul, though I expect I will eventually. It was a Les Paul Classic Plus, but once I get sufficient money together, I'd like to get a Les Paul Classic Custom with a vibrato bar and sustainer pickups. I've also been intrigued by the Variax, but it doesn't currently do enough synthy stuff to rise to the top of my wish list.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 16:36
^ Oh Todd really sorry to hear that, in S.F. we have car break-ins constantly. 

Here's hoping you find a good replacement for your lost child.

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2017 at 04:41
Really sorry to hear it, hope it turns up in a guitar shop somewhere soon and you can get it back.

Just to prove I'm not solely a Gibson freak - got out the Partscaster and played some Hendrix. Mighty Mite body, Fender neck, Fender pickups, Wilkinson bridge. 

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 28 2017 at 09:18
There's just something about the look and feel of a Telecaster. Granted, I've never been a lead guitarist, but others seem to like it as well...

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: October 28 2017 at 11:01
Amazing collections gentlemen. Keep the pictures coming.

-------------

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: October 30 2017 at 01:15
In prog I usually don't like the use of the Les Paul too much. It is often turned to warm and fluffy, not at all like the fierce instrument Jan Akkerman played. I would also note that Olly Halsall played the SG wonderfully.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Date Posted: October 30 2017 at 06:23
Well, that can be the case for any guitar.

You just step on the switch on the effects pedal. ;-)

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 30 2017 at 12:35
Supposedly Clapton said Jimi was the best many years ago.....asked in the early 70's I think.
?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 30 2017 at 12:45
Is anyone else sick to death of this Captcha sh*te...?
You can't even quote a post or make link without it effing you up.

At any rate I was going to say that I really like the way old distressed Teles and Strats  look.....from that pic above of Gilmour.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: October 30 2017 at 17:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Is anyone else sick to death of this Captcha sh*te...?
You can't even quote a post or make link without it effing you up.

Me

Date Posted: October 31 2017 at 04:22
All of us. ;-)

-------------

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: October 31 2017 at 05:12
^ We are being punished for (somebody else's)  sins Evil Smile Angry
And no redemption in sight ... (our lord has just left the building)

Date Posted: October 31 2017 at 06:37
I think my next guitar (and probably last guitar, no more room) is going to be a Tokai PRS copy. They're quite difficult to find, now. Whoopsy big image below, sorry !! 

Tremolo arms I don't use. I did have a Bigsby on my Gold Top, that came off pretty quickly, and the trem block is locked down on my Strat. "How to quickly detune a guitar", of course. 

The problem with a lot of "what guitar is best" threads is that non guitarists just comment on the cosmetics or supposed sound. Sound can be varied, that's the whole point of an electric guitar. If you ask what guitar looks best on a jazz or heavy metal forum, you'll probably get told that either a D'Angelico semi acoustic or BC Rich is the guitar to have. 

With guitars, everyone but everyone has an opinion about what to buy, what gauge strings to use, what pickups are best, even what brand of capacitors should be in the tone controls. Guitarists tend to copy their heroes setups. 

So if you want to play like Jimi Hendrix, just get a white Strat. That's all there is to it. 

-------------

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: October 31 2017 at 16:19
Other.
Parker Fly. Such a versatile guitar. Adrian Belew and Roine Stolt make them sing. Although I don't own a Fly, I do own a P42 ( not made anymore) and it just sounds wonderful and never goes out of tune unlike my strat.

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK

Date Posted: November 01 2017 at 06:23
Always wanted to try a Parker Singlecut. 

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 01 2017 at 09:26
clearly I'm team Gibson----as a fan boy I'll follow my 2 guitar hero's to the end of the earthLOL

Date Posted: November 16 2017 at 06:55
Latest acquisition, Vestapol tuning, slide, woooo, have I got a learning curve ???? 

Haven't played slide for years. It sort of shows at the moment. ;-))))))

-------------

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: November 17 2017 at 00:22
Gibson Les Paul, especially in Jimmy Page's hands, was my greatest inspiration in early stages of playing guitar. So this is my pick. BUT, if I were to buy another guitar today - out of these mentioned in the poll - I would give Telecaster a shot. I'd really like to experiment with single coils ringing sound and delicacies of the clean channel. All I owned is humbuckers...

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 02 2018 at 17:39
Fender and Gibson were great for what they were back in the day.

Give me Ibanez guitars and basses over them all.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk