Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112230
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 08:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Longest gap between listenings?
Posted By: M27Barney
Subject: Longest gap between listenings?
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 05:48
On Friday night I spun a CD which I had purchased sometime last year. This was a double CD release of 1974 - Spyglass Guest and 1975 -Time and Tide (Greenslade) - I listened and a few of the tracks I immediately recognised (the better tracks like "Siam Seasaw" and "Joie de Vivre" and "Catalan" and "The Ass's Ears" - then I realised the last time I had heard these - was the vinyl versions circa 1983/84. I was amazed that some of the music was immediately recognised - in my mind's eye I could hear what was coming next so to speak....
33 years later.....This is going to happen to me a lot as I am now going to embark on an early seventies vinyl replacement spree (as well as exploring stuff I have missed).

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Replies:
Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 06:55
I have no idea what my longest gap is ...but I have been meaning to buy that double Greenslade disc for sometime now. I have the vinyl but can't seem to play them on the way to work in my car,

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 06:59
44 years and counting, I guess...

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 07:56
For me it might be Brain Salad Surgery, by ELP, I just heard it last week, and made me realized how long it had been since the last time I gave it a spin; over 25 years. Another could be The Yes Album, though I heard some of the songs, it's been quite a while since I heard the whole record.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 08:10
I'm guessing Rainbow - Rising, I've never owned it on CD so probably last played it when I played vinyl back in the mid 80's. Rebought it last year as a download.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 10:02
I haven't decided; it's either 23 seconds or 155,235 years.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 10:22
A couple from my pre-Prog days: Bachman-Turner-Overdrive II and You Get What You Play For by R.E.O. Speedwagon.  36 years.  I sold my vinyl records of them in 1981, regretted it within months, and only replaced them on CD this year.  There is some Prog in my collection, too many to count or even remember, that sat between five and ten years without a listen.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 15:12
RIO/Avant Cow - UZ - Art Zoyd etc

Listened to these bands for a couple of years and enjoyed them but never really returned to the genre...someday maybe.

That was 15 years ago.

-------------

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 16:04
I really don't remember...   I'm a  54 years old, since 1974 my passion for music  mainly classical and rock ( specially prog rock ) , makes me start my collection and research ... so... I've a very large collection , maybe due this fact I already "forgot" for long time some pearls, as for instance "The Yes album", "A Farewell To Kings", "In a Glass House", "Trilogy"... maybe for 5 years !!!

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 05:31
Normally, I can go a couple years or so between listening to certain albums. However, there are some albums from the 80s that I had on cassette but not CD and I haven't heard them since I got rid of my cassettes about 20 years ago. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 07:59
I bought Islands when it first came out (having loved the first three King Crimson albums) and listened to it a couple of times. I absolutely hated it and didn't pick it up again until maybe 2012 or 2013. So that's what, 41 years? (It sounds way better to me now. I was, after all, 10 years old in 1972.)

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 08:15
^ You bought Islands and other KC when you were ten....? Now that's what I call precocious.

Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 09:29
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

On Friday night I spun a CD which I had purchased sometime last year. This was a double CD release of 1974 - Spyglass Guest and 1975 -Time and Tide (Greenslade) - I listened and a few of the tracks I immediately recognised (the better tracks like "Siam Seasaw" and "Joie de Vivre" and "Catalan" and "The Ass's Ears" - then I realised the last time I had heard these - was the vinyl versions circa 1983/84. I was amazed that some of the music was immediately recognised - in my mind's eye I could hear what was coming next so to speak....
33 years later.....This is going to happen to me a lot as I am now going to embark on an early seventies vinyl replacement spree (as well as exploring stuff I have missed).
Strangely enough "Catalan" was a track that Nicky Horne used to play on the radio a lot and I taped it, I guess that would have been around 1983/4 then. I remembered it a few years ago and bought a CD copy of the album. Still love Catalan, not made keen on the rest of the album sadly.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 14:07
Ive got a lot of vinyl lps which I bought 10-15 years ago from the USA, still sealed, which I never got around to playing and (sort of) forgot I had.. in the last few years ive been selling off quite a lot but have decided to open one a month and play (Sod 'keeping them mint and sealed.. ive been far too anal about it over the years!) Recent openings have been-

2 x Humus lps from Mexico which I bought 10 years ago in a batch of lps from the States..Really really great lps, not sure how I forgot they were there!

A batch of US Todd Rungren lps; most recent opening and not heard in 15 years was 'POV'

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: November 08 2017 at 01:48
The Beatles. I thought I knew them too well. Rediscovering theses albums on vinyl 10 years later is an enchantment.

Posted By: ProgBob
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 03:46
Genesis were my favourite band for a few months in 1981. I stopped listening to them quite abruptly as I discovered other music (prog and otherwise). I was completely bored with them and had absolutely no desire to play their albums.

With other music I got into at about the same time, such as Mike Oldfield and Yes, my interest waned but not in such an extreme way and I did come back to them again over the years, sometimes with quite a lot of enthusiasm.

With Genesis, I can say with absolute certainty that the only album I ever tried to listen to since 1981 was the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I remember it because it was on one of the occasions I got my turntable out of storage. Incidentally, I thought it had some good tracks but fizzled out quite badly towards the end.

This year, I went to see Steve Hackett to keep a friend company and really enjoyed it, and as a result of that I bought Wind and Wuthering on CD. I had never properly owned this but I used to have it on a cassette that I had taped from a friend's vinyl. When I played the CD, I remembered it very well and was able to sing along to most of it. So what's that? 36 years. There might be others where the gap is slightly longer but that is one I can be certain about.

-------------
Bob

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 14:09
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have no idea what my longest gap is ...but I have been meaning to buy that double Greenslade disc for sometime now. I have the vinyl but can't seem to play them on the way to work in my car,

;)

Don't know about my listening gap...but...I bought all 4 Greenslade albums when they came out on Japanese import CD in the 90's and still regularly give them a spin.  I find "Time and Tide" the weakest of the 4 but love them all.  It's especially cool to hear Andy McCulloch fresh from Crimso's Lizard in a band where he really shines.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 15:09
Threads like this get me to dig into my collection again, thanks! I will sit down in front of them and look for some overlooked or long lost treasures and give them a spin. Or rarely find something that is not filed in the right spot. Some disks deservedly do not get played and I should probably get rid of them. But from a big prog group, I would have to go with Genesis Live. The only thing I remember about it is PG's crack about Rutherford's unaccompanied bass pedal solo. Probably been 30 years since I last heard it, and I am not sure why. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 12:11
Atom heart mother: 45 years (1972-2017)

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 11 2017 at 17:50
I hadn't heard King Crimson's "Islands" much since I bought the LP (I never cared for it much), and they performed "Islands" at their Chicago show, 28 June 2017.  

That makes about....well...46 years??

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crimson/2017/chicago-theatre-chicago-il-3e4d54f.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crimson/2017/chicago-theatre-chicago-il-3e4d54f.html

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: peregrino
Date Posted: November 11 2017 at 20:21
I beat one yesterday, 10+ years without listening to The Final Cut.
All in all, I'd say it's better than The Wall, mostly because it's more concise. And it has actual songs on it. And the fact that it fits seamlessly with Pros and Cons and Amused to Death as some sort of "saga", if you will.
I listened to a download version, since I still have my good old cassette tape but no system to play it. I don't know about the addition of Tigers, though. It fits the theme, but the record was not like that at first. I'm picky like that. 

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 12 2017 at 00:14
Hi,

Countless examples ... to the point that many times I can not even remember who that was ... and I likely have the CD/Album for it in my collection.

Of all the hours of the show I have from the 70's, there are probably over 500 bands in there, and since the whole design of the show is not hit radio, sometimes things are mixed in together and sometimes they are not, and the value of the experience of listening to that show increased so much, that it was hard to miss it, and not enjoy it.

It was not about listening to your favorite stuff ... of which you already had the album/CD, either. It was always a new adventure to a new place in a far off distant land ... and one minute I might recognize some Popol Vuh (1st two albums), and the next ... who is that?

I can tell you that I can sit back, and listen to anything ... and remember when I first heard it. For me, there really is no gap per se ... as I still have the appreciation of the guy playing THIRD EAR BAND, right after a PINK FLOYD moment. Or Colin Townes. Or Eberhard Schoenner. Or Vangelis. Or Royale Academia de Musica. Or Uno .... it's hard to remember them all by name ... countless albums, and countless experiences, of the most beautiful kind.

I, personally, don't consider it a gap at all ... I find it a golden moment to blend today, yesterday and hopefully tomorrow, into something new ... a new art ... a new feeling ... a new something or other ... and the artist is my best friend all the time.

... where do you want to be? ...

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: November 13 2017 at 22:47
Some music is edged into the mind and what happens is you lose the vinyl recording from your original purchase in the seventies and then the next time you hear the music is when you pick up the CD sometime in the recent few years and play it for the first time since you played the original vinyl. I find I don't forget the music but sometimes the music sounds better or worse depending how your tastes have changed over the years. The Beatles are an interesting example. Everything from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road is a masterpiece, but nearly everything before Rubber Soul is rather ordinary to my ears. It could be imitation Everly Brothers to me. The Kinks, Small Faces and the Beach Boys all get better over time to my ears while The Beatles prior to Rubber Soul fades into the distant past. 

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 14 2017 at 07:23
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Some music is edged into the mind and what happens is you lose the vinyl recording from your original purchase in the seventies and then the next time you hear the music is when you pick up the CD sometime in the recent few years and play it for the first time since you played the original vinyl.

I, personally, do not like that excuse ... it's like saying that I forgot Mozart, Beethoven and Stravinsky, just because we had the LP, and I never listened to it again, and until some re-mastering was done (what a joke that is!!!!!) ... and it didn't change anything, or matter anything ... the memory of the great music was still in my mind.

Music, just like all the arts, leave an impression. And you are not likely to forget that feeling for your whole life, so not hearing something for a long time, might not be as important, as if you actually "heard" it, the first time ... unless it was just another hit on the radio you never paid attention to.

I can relive my very first moment with Tangerine Dream some 45 years ago, as if it were yesterday. The gap between listening to the album Phaedra again, or not, has not been an issue whatsoever. 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: November 14 2017 at 12:15
Superwombling.  I reckon it's been just over 40 years since I put that beauty on my dad's turntable...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk