Voyage of the Acolyte or Tubular Bells?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112249
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 21:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Voyage of the Acolyte or Tubular Bells?
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Voyage of the Acolyte or Tubular Bells?
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 10:51
Which of these 70's prog staples do you prefer? 

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 10:59
Oldfield 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 11:03
I voted for both, because each album is representative of an artist nearing the peak of his powers, and they're both undisputed classics that have stood the test of time. 

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 11:15
Easily Tubular Bells. As much as I love Hackett's guitar playing and compositional style, I think the lack of Genesis to back him up (or rather to be up front if we consider his often subtle guitar playing) kept his solo output from being great. It's still a good album but nowhere near the absolute masterpiece that is Tubular Bells.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 11:38
Very interesting choice. I'll probably listen to Voyage more but Tubular Bells is certainly more important.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 11:43
Bells

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 12:34
I prefer VOTA, but it's close. Tubular Bells is a pretty special album.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 12:52
love both

but

Tubular Bells

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 13:13
Voyage. Sally Oldfield on both funnily enough.

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 13:22
I love Voyage.....but Tubular Bells was a groundbreaking moment that resonated throughout music - not just prog.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 13:28
Voyage is a great album but TB is superb.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 14:19
I simply can't imagine anyone voting for that  amateur hour record Tubular Bells over a prog classic like
Voyage Of The Acolyte.

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 15:34
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Is that true? I didn't know that. Where does she sing on TB? 

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 15:53
Both fantastic albums but... Tubullar Bells is my favorite !

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 16:02
It's close, but Voyage gets my vote. I'm more of a guitar lover, so I enjoy Voyage much more. Tubular Bells is also quite awesome.

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 16:37
Tubular Bells is one of those albums that I tried very hard to like but it never clicked with me. Hacketts first album is also best. VotA by a mile

Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 16:53
I actually haven't heard much Mike Oldfield but I am very familiar with Tubular Bells. It's a great album for sure but I voted for Steve. 

As a side note I was actually going to add "the geese and the ghost" by Anthony Phillips to the list but I think maybe that should go head to head with either of these at a later time. 

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 17:15
I like Steve Hackett's work in general and also VOTA, but Tubular Bells is unique, special and atmospheric and will win against most.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 17:30
Tubular Bells. I do like Voyage a lot, and Shadow of the Hierophant is just a monumental piece, but still there are more minutes I love on TB.

Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 17:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I actually haven't heard much Mike Oldfield but I am very familiar with Tubular Bells. It's a great album for sure but I voted for Steve. 

As a side note I was actually going to add "the geese and the ghost" by Anthony Phillips to the list but I think maybe that should go head to head with either of these at a later time. 

Actually I already did a Voyage versus Geese poll several years ago. Voyage won by a comfortable margin if I remember correctly.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 18:01
I said both equally although I think the second side of Tubular Bells slightly disappoints but you can't take away from a brilliant first side of the vinyl record.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 19:14
Voyage for me...a magical album in the same way I consider Trespass Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 19:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Actually I already did a Voyage versus Geese poll several years ago. Voyage won by a comfortable margin if I remember correctly.

That sounds familiar. I looked for it just now but couldn't find it. Anyway, I can see Voyage winning but Geese is a great album in it's own right also. I think of both of them as sort of "lost Genesis" albums regardless. 

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 20:11
Love both but Tubular Bells is unique and special to me.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 21:07

That sounds familiar. I looked for it just now but couldn't find it. Anyway, I can see Voyage winning but Geese is a great album in it's own right also. I think of both of them as sort of "lost Genesis" albums regardless. 

I understand the thread searcher has by default threads 6 months or newer. Usually to have a better chance to find something you should put that one without restriction of time.

Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 21:18

I understand the thread searcher has by default threads 6 months or newer. Usually to have a better chance to find something you should put that one without restriction of time.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86993&KW=acolyte+geese

Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 21:25
^Thanks. I'll take a look. Smile

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 01:55
Both are great, but Tubular Bells is an easy winner for me.

-------------

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 05:35
"Geese & Ghost" is an awesome album.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 06:04
Voyage. Man, what an album!
Bells is no slouch either. Totally enjoyable, but it doesn't hit all the points for me.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 07:53
I do think Voyage is a proper prog album--and TB is very important but seems more like a movie soundtrack.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 08:11
First time I've ever voted "both" in one of these polls.
Love them both to death.
They're both perfect.
No need to choose.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 11:51
Voyage, by a mile

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 16:37
Voyage. I've never been particularly moved by Tubular Bells.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 17:04
I'm not saying this to be a putdown or anything but Tubular Bells seems like a bit of a stoner album to me(so is DSOTM but that's another story). Smile

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 19:32
Hmm, tough one. I find both to have quality moments, but are shaky on the whole. All things considered, I think I prefer Tubular Bells, but only for the more folk-oriented sections on side two - and "The Caveman", of course! 

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: November 12 2017 at 13:15
TB, which I bought when it came out.  The best version, though, is the 1973 Live at the BBC with members of Soft Machine, Gong & Henry Cow.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: November 12 2017 at 13:24
Acolyte, I don't care for Tubular Bells at all. 

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 13 2017 at 09:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I simply can't imagine anyone voting for that  amateur hour record Tubular Bells over a prog classic like
Voyage Of The Acolyte.

;)
Yeah, two different animals here. 'Bells has never grabbed my attention.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 13 2017 at 09:35
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Easily Tubular Bells. As much as I love Hackett's guitar playing and compositional style, I think the lack of Genesis to back him up (or rather to be up front if we consider his often subtle guitar playing) kept his solo output from being great. It's still a good album but nowhere near the absolute masterpiece that is Tubular Bells.
What? Two-thirds of the other musicians on Genesis at the time played on VOTA. How is that not backing Hackett up? As an auspicious backing of of a burgeoning solo career as one can imagine.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: November 13 2017 at 13:04
^ Only Rutherford and Collins are featured if i'm not mistaken (that's two-thirds sure) but still the musicianship feels weak to me on this album compared to any Genesis album up to this point (except the debut). I only enjoy "Ace of Wands", "Hands of the Priestess" and "Shadow of the Hierophant" and even those three are vanilla prog to my ears. 

I'm glad this album is getting some love but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that it has twice as many votes as Tubular Bells on a PROG forum.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 13 2017 at 17:31
The Bells the Bells!

Date Posted: November 13 2017 at 17:35
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

^ Only Rutherford and Collins are featured if i'm not mistaken (that's two-thirds sure) but still the musicianship feels weak to me on this album compared to any Genesis album up to this point (except the debut). I only enjoy "Ace of Wands", "Hands of the Priestess" and "Shadow of the Hierophant" and even those three are vanilla prog to my ears. 

I'm glad this album is getting some love but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that it has twice as many votes as Tubular Bells on a PROG forum.

Why not? Close to the Edge had more votes than Dark side of the Moon on here. Same basic principle. Not everyone considers TB to be prog for one thing(maybe more like proto new age). Plus being that most fans of early(ie PG era)Genesis are familiar with VotA it makes sense(at least to me)that more would be familiar with it if not like it more than TB. 

Date Posted: November 14 2017 at 07:46
It looks like it comes down to the fact that in general more people like Hackett than Oldfield....regarding the artists and not just the album chosen above.
I have always found Oldfield to be a bit boring and TB to me is 8 or 10 pieces cobbled together into two side long tracks. While there are some nice bits here and there much of it sounds amateurish to me in it's composition and playing. Voyage might not be as good as the early Genesis works but it works an an album of engaging prog rock for me...and it's worth it alone for Shadow of the Hierophant.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: November 14 2017 at 07:49
Voyage 4.23 with 1236 votes
Tubular Bells 4.09 with 1038 votes

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 14 2017 at 20:38
I saw Oldfield live in 1982 and can assure you there was nothing amateurish about him or his band.  

Not that it matters, but Oldfield has certainly sold a great many more records than Hackett could have ever dreamed of, and that's pretty much across the board, all over the world.  I know that doesn't guarantee quality, but Floyd fans are always so glad to point out how much they've sold, so there you go.  
And, sorry, talk about boring, while I like some Hackett albums a great deal, that debut is a colossal yawn.  And my opinion is based on liking both artists. 

Date Posted: November 14 2017 at 20:51
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I saw Oldfield live in 1982 and can assure you there was nothing amateurish about him or his band.  

Not that it matters, but Oldfield has certainly sold a great many more records than Hackett could have ever dreamed of, and that's pretty much across the board, all over the world.  I know that doesn't guarantee quality, but Floyd fans are always so glad to point out how much they've sold, so there you go.  
And, sorry, talk about boring, while I like some Hackett albums a great deal, that debut is a colossal yawn.  And my opinion is based on liking both artists. 

And I guess it's a great achievment to reach the sales Oldfield did with such uncommercial albums. Well, I don't really know how many albums he has sold, really, and how many of them were from his 70's works... but I understand Tubular Bells itself did very well, and that one certainly wasn't pop material. And about the amateurish sound of Tubular Bells... well, I would like to know how many of our beloved artists around here composed alone, and recorded over 20 instruments, of their debut album at the age of 19. And I do understand most of the bands we love did their best work at a young age, but usually in a band, with the help of the rest of the band members, and I guess not usually that young. However, the Tubular Bells version I have (and love) is the 2003 re-recording; I don't know how much it sounds different in the amateur department, but I really love it and wouldn't really call it so.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 14 2017 at 20:55
Voyage is indeed excellent but it don't even comes close to the near-masterpiece that is Tubular Bells.

-------------

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: November 15 2017 at 01:28
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Oldfield sells for the same reason The Rolling Stones sells. There's an incredible riff that runs through Tubular Bells that appeals to people (appeals to me as well). He doesn't always get it right but when he does it's immediately satisfying. The same can't be said of Steve Hackett who's more of an acquired taste. No disrespect for either artist though. They are both incredible guitarists who you can listen to as performers in their own right, even if they had never composed a note of music in their life.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: November 16 2017 at 03:46
Voyage is a pretty good album but Tubular Bells is a one (or first of it's) kind.

Wonder what would happen if polled with Spectral Mornings... (I think both equally) would have to do it fwiw...

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: November 16 2017 at 04:51

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Is that true? I didn't know that. Where does she sing on TB? 
I'm sure she is used as harmonics (human mellotron) in several places.

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk