Print Page | Close Window

King Crimson European 2018 Tour

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
Forum Description: Announce (shows, dates and more) and discuss progressive events and bands touring (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112312
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 06:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: King Crimson European 2018 Tour
Posted By: AEProgman
Subject: King Crimson European 2018 Tour
Date Posted: November 20 2017 at 09:21
FYI, just announced last week via DGM email...date details to come on the 22nd.

KING CRIMSON EUROPEAN TOUR 2018 ANNOUNCEMENT

Next week, King Crimson will be announcing the dates for next year's European tour - visiting Poland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Sweden, Norway, The Netherlands, Italy, France and UK.

Dates will be announced on Wednesday 22nd November and pre-sale VIP tickets will go on sale on 23rd November. We will be offering both the Royal Package and also a new Courtiers Package. 

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 20 2017 at 09:56
clearly I won't be at any of these, but! I'm glad to see they are continuing to exist. Hope the free songs per gig continue too!

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: November 20 2017 at 15:25
Thanks a lot for the heads up, Progman. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: November 22 2017 at 06:43
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

clearly I won't be at any of these, but! I'm glad to see they are continuing to exist. Hope the free songs per gig continue too!

Me either.  From your post, I was not aware those songs were free (thanks!).  Went to their website and downloaded a few, especially the one from the show I was at.  Having time to listen more intently, I hear a little more improvisation at times than I remember during the show...which is a good thing to me!

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2017 at 06:55
OK, they posted the European 2018 schedule...hope some of you can make it, a must for any Crimson fan and for those that have never seen them (IMHO).

In addition to the regular tickets the band will be offering two packages - The Royal Package (as before) and a new Courtiers Package to try and prevent mass scalping of the best tickets. These will be available from DGMLive on the Tour page of the website and via the promoters in the UK and Germany.

As on previous occasions the touring is split into two sections.

The Summer concerts are as follows.

Wed 13th June
Poland, Poznan
Earth Hall

Thu 14th June
Poland, Poznan
Earth Hall

Sat 16th June
Poland, Krakow
ICE Congress Hall

Sun 17th June
Poland, Krakow
ICE Congress Hall

Mon 18th June
Poland, Krakow
ICE Congress Hall

Wed 20th June
Germany, Essen
Lichtburg

Sat 23rd June
Austria, Vienna
Stadthalle

Sun 24th June
Austria, Vienna
Stadthalle

Tue 26th June
Czech Republic, Prague
Forum Karlin

Wed 27th June
Czech Republic, Prague
Forum Karlin

Sun 1st Jul
Germany, Berlin
Admiralspalast

Thu 5th Jul
Sweden, Stockholm
Cirkus

Fri 6th Jul
Sweden, Stockholm
Cirkus

Sun 8th Jul
Norway, Oslo
Sentrum Scene

Mon 9th Jul
Norway, Oslo
Sentrum Scene

Tue 10th Jul
Norway, Oslo
Sentrum Scene

Fri 13th Jul
The Netherlands, Amsterdam
Concertgebouw

Mon 16th Jul
Germany, Munich
Philharmonie

Thu 19th Jul
Italy, Pompeii
Teatro Grande

Fri 20th Jul
Italy, Pompeii
Teatro Grande

Sun 22nd Jul
Italy, Rome
Auditorium Cavea

Mon 23rd Jul
Italy, Rome
Auditorium Cavea

Wed 25th Jul
Italy, Lucca
Piazza Napoleone

Fri 27th July
Italy, Venice
Teatro La Fenice

Sat 28th Jul
Italy, Venice
Teatro La Fenice

UK & European Autumn dates

Mon 29th Oct
UK, Bournemouth
Pavilion Theatre

Wed 31st Oct
UK, Cardiff
St Davids

Fri 2nd Nov
UK, London
Palladium

Tue 6th Nov
UK, Birmingham
Symphony Hall

Fri 9th Nov
UK, Manchester
Bridgewater Hall

Mon 12th Nov
UK, Glasgow
Royal Concert Hall

Thu 15th Nov
France, Paris
L’Olympia

Fri 16th Nov
France, Paris
L’Olympia

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 22 2017 at 06:59
Ahh nuts. I missed them the last time they visited Copenhagen due to back problems (I even had a ticket!!!), and now it looks as if it was my only chance to see Bob and cohorts in the flesh

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: November 23 2017 at 20:24
I'm gonna kill myself if I'm not going this time.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 24 2017 at 00:14
I will definitely go to Cardiff

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: November 24 2017 at 11:32
Fk yeah! Was hoping for this to happen, must go to see them indeed!!

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Date Posted: November 24 2017 at 14:28
Hope you all can make it for sure!

Saw them on the Fall tour of the USA 2017 tour and they were a beast!  I believe the European tour will still be the 8 man lineup (3 drummers) with Bill Rieflin back at keyboard duties who did not make the Fall 2017 USA tour for reasons I am not sure of.  I rarely go to concerts anymore, but could not miss this when it came to town and I think it was the best show I ever saw/heard (although some of the 70s shows I saw were in altered states of mind and don't remember a darn thing...wink, wink).

Regarding Bill missing the Fall USA tour, I would give a positive shout out to Chris Gibson who filled in for him with only a 2 week notice before the tour started!  Can you imagine getting that call from Fripp and Co. and have to cram in all the songs they used on their sets.  Job well done Chris!

-------------

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: November 24 2017 at 18:47

I wonder if they are planning to record all their gigs for a future release, such as boxed set. In any case, they won't do that in Greece

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 28 2017 at 06:54
I'm gonna try and make the Palladium, London.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 30 2017 at 09:47
And three tickets purchased for Cardiff today

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: December 07 2017 at 15:50
I preferred going for Amsterdam but the ticket's comission was insane, anyway I settled for Berlin. Man am I waiting for this...

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: December 07 2017 at 16:19
I see they have by-passed the North-East of England once again. I think they might have had a good chance of filling the Sage in Gateshead?

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: December 09 2017 at 06:30
Just saw on Crimson's website, they have added 2 shows.  A second show in Amsterdam and another one in London.

-------------

Date Posted: December 29 2017 at 13:47
More shows added, from KCs web site pasted below:

Amid all the Christmas hullaballo it may have escaped your attention that three extra dates have been added to King Crimson’s 2018 tour. They are...

Essen 21st June 2018
Berlin 2nd July 2018 
London 3rd November

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2018 at 14:04
Updated shows added.

Two extra shows in Berlin and Munich have been added to King Crimson's Uncertain Times tour taking place later this year. The additional performances are :

Berlin 3rd July

Munich 17th July

-------------

Posted By: Crimsonsnowdog
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 14:42
I have seen King Crimson a few times in the last four years and even though I won't be making the trip across the pond, I'm interested to find out what changes they make to the set lists. The songs I still would like to hear would be: Great Deceiver, Lament, and Thela Hun Ginjeet. They usually put on a great performance and play for about 2 and 1/2 hours.

Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 08:00
The 1rst show of the 2018 tour set list at Poznan.  Second show there indicates a different set list via Levin's tour diary page.

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 00:22
^ yay larks 4!

great to see fracture and discipline stick around as well. 

-------------

Posted By: austrianprogfan
Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 10:40
Saw them in Vienna last Saturday. They were too loud for me (rock concerts always are), and I can't get over the fact that they didn't play "Schizoid Man" - of course they did at the second gig the next day, which I couldn't attend. Argh! Apart from that, it was a great show with some nice surprises for me (Moonchild, Bolero, Discipline), because I didn't look at the setlists of earlier concerts of this tour before, fortunately.
(Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this.)

Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 10:54
^ Yes this is the place to post for this tour.  The url below shows Tony Levin's road diary/photos of the show you were at in Vienna.  According to the set list photo, they were supposed to play Schizoid Man as an encore.  Maybe they ran long or something and did not get to it.  Glad you got to see them!  I saw them on the 2017 USA tour and it was a little loud but it was great.

https://tonylevin.com/road-diaries/king-crimson-2018-uncertain-times-tour-part-1/vienna-show1

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 14:50
Thank you, but I'm already aware of Levin's blog and have seen the setlist picture (I even tried to spot myself in the audience shot, but the resolution was too low). They stuck to it until LTIA 2, after which they left the stage under sustained applause, to come back and play "Starless" a bit later - everything as usual so far, but the waiting time until they reentered was remarkably long. When "Starless" ended, there was another applause, but it receded quickly, the lights went on, and everybody headed for the exit. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I know that "Schizoid Man" wasn't played that night, and I read in a review that they did it on Sunday. I don't remember the exact time the concert ended, but it was approximately 23 o'clock (it started at eight).

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 20:30
I read earlier that Adrian Belew might be on forthcoming tours. Any idea if Belew is in the lineup?

Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 01:29
Really? That would be greater than great. IMHO, Belew's absence is the only flaw of the current lineup ("Indiscipline" in particular doesn't convince me with Jakko singing). But on June 23 it was clearly Collins, Levin, Rieflin, Jakszyk, Fripp, Mastelotto, Stacey, Harrison, and I haven't heard this information anywhere else (other than Fripp and Belew have overcome their differences and Belew was added as a currently inactive ninth member a while ago). Where did you get it from?

Date Posted: June 29 2018 at 14:59
Looks like they are doing a bit of the later Larks and mixing in some Red material in this tour.  As well as dropping Level 5.  Set list from Prague 2nd show.

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2018 at 15:27
I assumed LTIA 5 is Level 5. People who are going to these concerts, is that true?

Great to see One More Red Nightmare come back. Now if we can convince Fripp to bring back Sailor's Tale. :p 

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2018 at 15:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I assumed LTIA 5 is Level 5. People who are going to these concerts, is that true?
Good question. I'm not too familiar with 90s and newer Crimson so I lost track a bit at this section (setlist is six posts above), and since it's almost a week ago now, I can't tell for sure whether LTIA 5 was Level Five or not. From what I've seen at Levin's blog, it was always called Level Five on the 2017 tour, but in 2018 only LTIA 5 shows up (quite on the same places in the set, but that could be a placebo of mine). Probably they've just altered the name on the setlists, it's known that Fripp considers it to be part of LTIA.

Quote Great to see One More Red Nightmare come back. Now if we can convince Fripp to bring back Sailor's Tale. :p 
Yes, I missed Sailor's Tale too...

Date Posted: June 29 2018 at 19:44
^  Wow, that is a good question.  I have the Power to Believe CD from 2003 which has the song title of Level 5 (my favorite of the album) and is the song I heard in the concert in 2017, right before Starless...amazing.  A very intense, powerful song.  I can't say that I have heard LTIA 5 (at least by that title), if they are interchanging the title of the song, then it is more of Fripp's mind games that he likes to play that we all love.

Oh yeah, I would love to have heard Sailor's Tale live!

I hope someone who has seen the current tour can verify.

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2018 at 06:15
Was there in Amsterdam yesterday, it was outstanding! The power of the double-quartet is very refreshing, also a bit loud but with a lot of energy that they keep during the long show which took a full three hours not including the pause. During the first set there was an amazing suite which took about 25 minutes I guess, very intense...: Radical Action I (abbreviated) - Radical Action III - Meltdown - Radical Action II - Level Five
Maybe the most beautiful piece though was Islands just before the intermission, that really moved me and was so unique compared to the rest. Maybe that's about the only negative thing I could say about it, it's all very much the same style almost the whole show, the old songs sound like they could've been released on the latest album. On the other hand, it's quite an accomplishment to make music for some 50 years and making it all comprehensive but ever refreshing in sound. Anyway, overall there was so much to listen to, because each of them was playing excellent.
Also I like the idea behind the tour, a bit like John Cage if you like: each performance is unique and based upon a little coincidence, the set is namely different every time which explains the title: Uncertain Times (in my interpretation), like he said himself here:  http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/David%20Singleton/free_the_music" rel="nofollow - https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/David%20Singleton/free_the_music   (a great little read!)

BTW, I haven't seen pictures of the printed setlist, so I don't know of Larks' V means Level 5, but actually I do think it is.

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Date Posted: July 15 2018 at 11:06
Ah Tony's blog is updated, the great Level 5 is called LTIA V

-------------

Posted By: Crimsonsnowdog
Date Posted: July 19 2018 at 15:05
Glad to see the brought back One More Red Nightmare, which was able to see them perform a few years ago. I also see they've added Bolero to the lizard suite, Cadence and Cascade, and one or two more versions of LTIA. Now  let see if they can bring back Great Deceiver and Lament. I seen them a few times ,but I may have to see them again if they come back to the states.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 14:55
Anyone else going to see KC at the London Palladium on Saturday?

I'm starting to get excited

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 17:06
Friday...

Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 18:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Friday...

Enjoy!  I'll be interested to hear your thoughts afterwards

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 16:36
It's been over a week now and I've been a bit dilatory, but I wanted to put down a few thoughts after seeing King Crimson's concert at the London Palladium on 3rd November, and I'd be interested to hear any thoughts from anyone else who saw them.

They were certainly in fine fettle, and the eight musicians generated a powerful sound.

Unfortunately I found that they were over amplified at the beginning of the concert, and the first two tracks were uncomfortable because the volume was just too high.

It wasn't just me.  Other people around me clearly experienced the same thing.  My ears were ringing after those first couple of tracks. I couldn't pick out the more subtle sounds as it was just a wall of noise, and it adversely affected my enjoyment of those pieces.

Fortunately, as the concert went on, the sound engineers seemed to get the levels sorted out and I was able to enjoy the wonderful sound of King Crimson without it rupturing my ear drums!

The three drummers were excellent, and they way they worked in unison was something to behold.

The big surprise on the night was the performance of Cirkus, followed by an extended medley from Lizard.  I certainly wasn't expecting to hear anything from Lizard so that was a real treat.

Great to hear a lot of stuff from the early albums, like Moonchild and Court of the Crimson King, but the best track of the evening for me was, surprisingly, Islands!

Islands has never been my favourite KC album, but the version of the title track that they played live was sublime.  The interplay between Mel Collins and Robert Fripp was wonderful and it left me gasping for more.  Needless to say, it was Islands that I was spinning after the concert.

Gavin Harrison's amazing drum solo, when he played both rhythm and melody at the same time using just sticks, drawing applause from his fellow drummers, was an amazing exhibition of skill and a fitting end to a wonderful evening.

A shame about the volume levels early on, but it didn't dent my overall enjoyment of an amazing concert by an incredible band

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk