Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112434
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 10:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Some double albums
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Some double albums
Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 17:51
Ok, I know similar polls have probably been done to death but not this exact line up. What say you. I was going to maybe include an obscurity like Four Letter Monday Afternoon by Out of Focus but haven't heard it and suspect many people don't know it anyway. So anyway, what do you think out of these which one is the best or at least your personal favorite?

Replies:
Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 18:36
Genesis, Who, Zeppelin, Yes, Floyd, IQ. Not crazy about the rest.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 18:43
Tales just over The Lamb...tomorrow it would probably be the other way around Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 18:49
Famous bands with no double albums: King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel, PFM, Jethro Tull, Rush, VDGG. That's why you didn't see them on the list. :) Wasn't the first Magma album a double though? 

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 20:05
For me it's definitely Snow from this list. Even though I love The Lamb.. and Physical Graffiti is obviously a monster. But, where's Joe's Garage? - I just listened to the whole thing this afternoon actually and what genius, for me it's almost up there with We're Only It For The Money. I'm on a major Zappa kick right now, don't mind me.

But yeah Snow for sure. 

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 20:21
IQ.

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 20:49
Yes by a very long shot.

Next after that for me would be Arco Iris' Agitor Lucens V.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 21:14
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Yes by a very long shot.

Next after that for me would be Arco Iris' Agitor Lucens V.

Good to know. I'm curious about some of the better lesser known ones as well. 

Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 21:17
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

For me it's definitely Snow from this list. Even though I love The Lamb.. and Physical Graffiti is obviously a monster. But, where's Joe's Garage? - I just listened to the whole thing this afternoon actually and what genius, for me it's almost up there with We're Only It For The Money. I'm on a major Zappa kick right now, don't mind me.

But yeah Snow for sure. 

I actually forgot all about uncle Frank. I'm actually not familiar with Joe's garage and We're only in it for the money is not a double. Freak Out is though. I guess I could have added that one but I forgot. 

Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 21:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

But yeah Snow for sure. 

I actually forgot all about uncle Frank. I'm actually not familiar with Joe's garage and We're only in it for the money is not a double. Freak Out is though. I guess I could have added that one but I forgot. 

Well you still covered more ground then I would have doing a similar poll. I mentioned Joe's Garage because it's a good concept album. You should listen to it some time. One of his best albums imo. 

Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 21:51
Sure. I'd have to buy it first though. :) Actually, there's about two of them isn't there? There's Joe's Garage pt 1 then part two and three on a separate album or something like that.

Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 22:01

Sure. I'd have to buy it first though. :) Actually, there's about two of them isn't there? There's Joe's Garage pt 1 then part two and three on a separate album or something like that.

You buy it all together though in a two disc set. If you're a real big fan of his then I think it's worth getting. 

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 22:49
For me Stardust We Are is a masterpiece and playing it at intervals over the years has yet to change my mind.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 23:03
Lamb, Ummagumma, the Wall & Quadrophenia are just soooo great! Physical and Tales partly too. Not easy to make great double, but I love Exile on Mains, Tommy, Electric Ladyland, Magma´s first, Kate Bushes Aerial & Beefhearts Trout Mask Replica. And I think Wigwam´s Fairyport is the best album in the world! Circle´s Miljard 3Lp is really great too.

Date Posted: December 10 2017 at 23:06
...and love too Amon Düül II`s Tanz der Lemminge and Can´s Tago Mago.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 02:00
Yes>Genesis>Led Zeppelin

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 02:22
Ummagumma. Quadrophenia and The Lamb come next.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 06:50
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Genesis, Who, Zeppelin, Yes, Floyd, IQ. Not crazy about the rest.

This . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 07:18
What about Jethro Tull "Living in the Past"?  I'd vote for that.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 07:19
All great albums, honestly, but The Lamb gets my vote.

Posted By: Peter R
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 07:37
It's high time that Zep's excellent Physical Graffiti got a vote! That was a very important album for me as a teen (as was Quadrophenia). Many of my favourite LZ tracks are on there. Thumbs Up

And try as I might, I just can't regard Topographic Oceans as one of Yes's better albums. I find it overlong, lacking in coherence, and suffering from a dearth of memorable melodies. I think all the better parts could be condensed down to two sides at most. Ditto the bloated, uninspired Works.

Subterranea is also solid, as is The Lamb, but I still find each to be too much for one session--they ramble a bit in parts, I think.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 07:57
Ummagumma

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 08:10
Subby, but The Wall would be very close.

Where is the mighty Ayreon on this list?  So many great double albums from the King of The Netherlands!

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 09:41
From Bone to Satellite by Tarentel (Can and Amon Düül II follow closely). Ummagumma from the list.

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 10:46
Yes, I know this is a prog forum but still  I'm quite surprised there isn't at least one vote for "Physical Graffiti." It's a really good one. I'm also surprised there's only one vote for the Wall and not just because it's probably by far the best selling album on here. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 11:57
From this list, Yes, easily.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 13:03
The Lamb.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 14:17
Tales followed by The Lamb, The Wall and Physical Graffiti.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 15:14
Originally posted by Peter R Peter R wrote:

It's high time that Zep's excellent Physical Graffiti got a vote! That was a very important album for me as a teen. Many of my favourite LZ tracks are on there. Thumbs Up

And try as I might, I just can't regard Topographic Oceans as one of Yes's better albums. I find it overlong, lacking in coherence, and suffering from a dearth of memorable melodies. I think all the better parts could be condensed down to two sides. Ditto the bloated, uninspired Works.

This 

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 15:23
I would rank Tales as maybe my fifth or sixth favorite Yes album. I like what they were trying to do more than I like the outcome itself. That said I still find it to be a special album. I also find Tormato to be special but it's also not one of my very favorites. 

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 17:00

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 17:06
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Great album, really experimental. I just listened to it a few days ago as part of my current Zappa obsession. 

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 17:17
I like Uncle Meat but I didn't know it was a double.

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 17:24
I think of Joe's Garage as more of a classic concept album, but Uncle Meat is really good as well especially if you like experimental. Good stuff. 

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 17:27
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

UM

That would have been my choice, if Ummagumma had not been included in the list. Uncle Meat is one of my favorite albums.

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 17:32
One thing about Uncle Meat(I just checked and it came out before In The Court..). I'll get crucified on here for this but if you listen to both albums back to back(in whatever order), I don't see how you could conclude that the latter sounds more prog. 

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 17:48
1969 was a year of musical revelation, especially those bands that integrated style and avant-garde techniques to rock in a cohesive way, the Dadaist sound of Soft Machine Volume Two, Trout Mask Replica, An Electric Storm, Monster Movie, of course Ummagumma and Uncle Meat. I agree that this music is more progressive, but from an experimental perspective.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 17:52

Famous bands with no double albums: King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel, PFM, Jethro Tull, Rush, VDGG. That's why you didn't see them on the list. :) Wasn't the first Magma album a double though? 

Jethro Tull's Living in the Past was released in the U.S. in 1972, most of it unreleased material on this side of the pond. A great double album.

From the list, Physical Graffiti. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 17:52
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

1969 was a year of musical revelation, especially those bands that integrated style and avant-garde techniques to rock in a cohesive way, the Dadaist sound of Soft Machine Volume Two, Trout Mask Replica, An Electric Storm, Monster Movie, of course Ummagumma and Uncle Meat. I agree that this music is more progressive, but from an experimental perspective.

Yeah. Ok, fair enough. 

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 20:53
I really like Ummagumma and Tales, although Yes and Floyd both certainly have better albums, and I moderately enjoy several others. The best prog double album off the top of my head would probably be Collegium Musicum's Konvergencie. 

Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 23:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Jethro Tull's Living in the Past was released in the U.S. in 1972, most of it unreleased material on this side of the pond. A great double album.

From the list, Physical Graffiti. 
Living In the Past is compilation, most of it´s material not unreleased but from singes and e.p. There haven´t also been any great live doubles. I think the point in this has been, that it´s not easy to make an original great double album. I think there are plenty of great double compilations.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 11 2017 at 23:45
Ummagumma off the list, but my favourites include Soft Machine's Third, Magma's Kobaia, Can's Tago Mago, Tangerine Dream’s Zeit, Amon Düül II's Yeti and Tanz der Lemminge, Art Zoyd’s Le mariage du ciel et de l’enfer and Phase IV, and Cardiacs’ Sing to God.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 07:04
I could vote for Zeppelin, Ummagumma, Lamb or The Wall depending on my mood

voted The Wall

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 07:51
My Top Three all-time are in this poll!!!

1) Tales From Topographic Oceans
2) The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
3) Quadrophenia

(and Stardust We Are isn't too far behind either.)

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 07:52
Subterranea by miles.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 10:25
Probably topographic. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 10:58
Umagumma, then the others

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 14:41
I voted for the Wall because I think it's very consistent for a double album and also I don't think it gets the respect it deserves(at least among prog fans).

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 16:10
Not a fan of doubles but Aphrodite's Child -666 is a rare exception. That gets my vote. Lamb does have the best Genesis music ever (imo) over about 3 sides but goes a bit array around Side 3.  I would have voted for that if there was not an 'Other' option.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 12 2017 at 20:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Not a fan of doubles but Aphrodite's Child -666 is a rare exception. That gets my vote. Lamb does have the best Genesis music ever (imo) over about 3 sides but goes a bit array around Side 3.  I would have voted for that if there was not an 'Other' option.

I just got Aprhodite's Child album this year, and indeed it was great. Perhaps not every single song is up to the same level, but it all flows very nicely and all. Now that you mention it, it might just as well be my favourite double concept album... or very close to it.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: December 13 2017 at 15:34
Yes, TFATO, but I go for The garden from Unitopia, or Tommy from The Who

Date Posted: December 14 2017 at 00:23
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I just got Aprhodite's Child album this year, and indeed it was great. Perhaps not every single song is up to the same level, but it all flows very nicely and all. Now that you mention it, it might just as well be my favourite double concept album... or very close to it.

Thumbs Up

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: December 14 2017 at 01:41
Others: The white album, Third, Uncle Meat, 666, Tago Mago, The secret life of plants ...

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: December 14 2017 at 01:42
Aphex Twin's Drukqs

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: December 14 2017 at 02:27
I love double albums. Ummagumma was the first double album I ever heard, and it gets my vote.
Other faves include Yeti, Tago Mago, Septober Energy, Third, and a heap of live ones.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 19 2017 at 12:19
Unfold the Future

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2017 at 14:56
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

My Top Three all-time are in this poll!!!

1) Tales From Topographic Oceans
2) The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
3) Quadrophenia

(and Stardust We Are isn't too far behind either.)

I've always heard that there is a lot of filler on that TFK double. Do you agree with that?

Date Posted: December 19 2017 at 15:24
TLLDOB has more filler than SWA in my opinion.

Date Posted: December 21 2017 at 17:21
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

controversial. I tend to think that most Flower Kings albums are just filler although I do love Banks Of Eden.

Date Posted: December 21 2017 at 21:25

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

controversial. I tend to think that most Flower Kings albums are just filler although I do love Banks Of Eden.

It's all about personal taste but I don't think it's all that controversial knowing that Steve Hackett and Tony Banks were losing interest during the latter recording sessions of the LLDOB album and it shows in the last 30 minutes or so of the album. If TLLDOB wasn't a concept album would we be talking about the album in such glowing terms? 

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: December 23 2017 at 09:55
the best Led Zep album

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: December 28 2017 at 13:16
Went with Lamb, Then probably Quadrophina, & the Wall

Posted By: ClosetothSupperBrick
Date Posted: December 29 2017 at 20:49
I voted for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, although it is my 4th favorite Genesis album. It is truly amazing how great the top 8 songs on this album are ("In the Cage", "The Lamia", "The Colony of Slippermen", "The Carpet Crawlers", "The Chamber of the 32 Doors", "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", "It" and "Anyway". But that's only about a third of the album, and the rest of the songs have not impressed me as much as the thoroughness of the three earlier Genesis albums. I don't know if you're including live albums though, and this is important as my next favorite after "Lamb" is live... And it's not Seconds Out, it's Uriah Heep Live!

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: December 29 2017 at 21:19
The best double album never was, "Planets" and "Time to Turn" by Eloy.  They were supposed to be released together but the record company put out the first in 1981 and the second in 1982.  Oh wel, they do make two back to back great albums!

Date Posted: December 29 2017 at 22:39
Eloy had a double live album if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, I don't have a problem with live albums but I tend to think they should have a separate poll. I did include Ummagumma which is a bit of an anomaly in that it's half live and half studio but everything else is studio. Alive on Planet Earth by the Flower Kings is a good live album too and imo captures them more or less at their peak. Same thing with Seconds Out(again imo).

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 30 2017 at 12:25
Some good ones up there....I'd like to mention Soft machine 3.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 01 2018 at 13:44

Eloy had a double live album if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, I don't have a problem with live albums but I tend to think they should have a separate poll. I did include Ummagumma which is a bit of an anomaly in that it's half live and half studio but everything else is studio. Alive on Planet Earth by the Flower Kings is a good live album too and imo captures them more or less at their peak. Same thing with Seconds Out(again imo).

yeah I think a double live is a different beast.  It's easy to fill 4 vinyl sides with quality in a long and distinguished career, but coming up with 80+ minutes of new material that fits together was rarer.  The newer albums I like are closer in length to traditional LPs (maybe 45-60 mins) than the 75 minute behemoths that some neo bands in particular put out.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 01 2018 at 17:40
Genesis Lamb all the way.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk