Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112587
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 20:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best KC studio album
Posted By: Mortte
Subject: Best KC studio album
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 06:39
I know, there are KC-fans who prefer more their newer stuff than the classic early. Just curious how many of them are here. I donīt vote, because I havenīt heard Beat, Three of Perfect Pair and THRAK as whole. But I believe my choise will be Red.

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 06:47
Islands.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 06:52
Great, very interesting choise at first!

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 07:01
LTIA

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 07:27
In the Court for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 07:51
This is a hard one, since I love King Crimson's music through their multiple faces. I'll go with starless now, but it could change by this afternoon.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 08:01
Not much of a Crimson fan.Red is the only one I can listen to from start to finish.Do really like some of the songs Greg Lake sang on.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 08:13
1. Lizard 
2. Islands 
3. Larks' Tongues In Aspic 
4. In The Wake of Poseidon
5. In The Court of the Crimson King

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 08:24
Tempted to go with Discipline, but always comes back to Red.  
Wetton, Bruford & Fripp?  
At the top of their game?
Red.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 08:32
1. Lizard 
2. Red
4. In The Court of the Crimson King
5. Starless and Bible Black

Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 08:34
This is my KC album order now:
1. Red
2. In the Court Of the Crimson King
3. Lizard
4. Larks`Tongues in Aspic
5. In the Wake Of Poseidon
6. Starless & Bible Black
7. Islands
8. the Power to Believe
9. the ConstruKction Of Light
10. Discipline

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 08:58
the first by a wide margin

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 09:21
Tough call for me between In the Court, Larks and Red. Went with Red for today's mood.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 09:35
Red and ITCOTCK.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 09:36
Debut, duh.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 09:44
Lizard, followed by Islands.

Posted By: hieronymous
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 09:53
I voted for Red because it really is my favorite. Actually, USA is my favorite but that's live! But Discipline is up there too. I stopped listening after Three of a Perfect Pair.

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 10:00
Best? Discipline.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 10:08
Red.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 10:25
Tough call, but ill give it to Lizard. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 10:37
Oddly enough, my #1 is the one that took the longest to appreciate, but is the one I listen to most often...

Lizard
Starless & Bible Black
ITCOTCK
Poseidon
Islands

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 10:52
I love the first four albums beyond belief, and "Red" as well, but voted for their first because it is the album with which I discovered prog and changed my life. It was spring of 1973 and I had just bought Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy." I brought it over to my friend's house and we got sufficiently breathless before listening. When we were done my buddy said, "Bob check this out, tell me what  you think." Then he played both sides of "In the Court ..." and I was totally mesmerized. I'd never heard anything like it. The way "I Talk to the Wind" evolved into "Epitaph," and the way that song touched me to my core like nothing ever had, I knew that I was hearing something incredible. The evening wound up with me trading the Zeppelin album for the Crimson and walking home practically dancing, thinking I'd really ripped off my friend.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 10:55
In the Court

-------------

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 13:37
Larks...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:07
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

1. Lizard 
2. Islands 
4. In The Wake of Poseidon

The very same order for me.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:09
Court, but closely followed by Red and then Larks

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:26
Think this is the first time I've ever seen Lizard winning one of these polls.

LTiA
Red
ITCOTCK
Lizard
Islands
Discipline
SABB
INWOP
TPTB
Thrak
TOAPP
Beat
TCOL

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:55
Tie between Red (always loved it) and Discipline (probably the best "rebirth" of a previously defunct band ever heard).

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 15:54
Discipline fan here, my #2 album of all time. I love the whole trilogy; I'd give Beat and TOAPP 5 stars, too, and I also love Thrak. I have favourites among their earlier work, too, but the early eighties period is the pinnacle if you ask me.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:20

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:22
Good to see Lizard finally having its day...

Lizard
Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Islands
Discipline
In The Court of The Crimson King
Starless and Bible Black
In The Wake of Poseidon
Red

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:34
LARKS

Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:49
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Indeed surprising. Seems that all the Lizard lovers who up to now have always sounded as if they were the only lonely enlightened cowboy or -girl in a desert of ignorance have to stop this kind of talk now. Tongue

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 20:49
Court for me. And indeed I'm surprised Lizard is getting so much love now.

Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 23:27
I am not suprised Lizard has got some much attention. Itīs one of the strongest entity in KC albums, only "lady of the dancing water" is a little bit weaker song although itīs very beautiful. Great that Discipline has got votes too. What I am suprised is Wake of Poseidon hasnīt got any votes. I really love that album too and I think itīs really great when knowing whatīs situation band has when making the album.

Date Posted: January 03 2018 at 23:33
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

I love the first four albums beyond belief, and "Red" as well, but voted for their first because it is the album with which I discovered prog and changed my life. It was spring of 1973 and I had just bought Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy." I brought it over to my friend's house and we got sufficiently breathless before listening. When we were done my buddy said, "Bob check this out, tell me what  you think." Then he played both sides of "In the Court ..." and I was totally mesmerized. I'd never heard anything like it. The way "I Talk to the Wind" evolved into "Epitaph," and the way that song touched me to my core like nothing ever had, I knew that I was hearing something incredible. The evening wound up with me trading the Zeppelin album for the Crimson and walking home practically dancing, thinking I'd really ripped off my friend.
Great story! I was born in the year you heard it first time...This brought into my mind when I heard KC first time. My brother bought in the eighties old reel-to-reel taperecorder. He got with machine tapes that had recorded. There was compilation, where was Crimsonīs Epitaph and tittle song. That time I listened CCR, Skynyrd, Hendrix, so those KC songs sounded quite UFO to me. Many years later one my relative got In the Court Of, really remembered How I loved I talked to the wind immediately! Then I already listened Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush and Yes.

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 00:27
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Indeed surprising. Seems that all the Lizard lovers who up to now have always sounded as if they were the only lonely enlightened cowboy or -girl in a desert of ignorance have to stop this kind of talk now. Tongue

Dear God... prog fans unable to bemoan how unique and misunderstood they are?! A fate worse than death... LOL

Now all we need is Atom Heart Mother to win a Pink Floyd poll, and there'll be nothing left for us special snowflakes to complain about.

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 01:50
^I will be more than glad if Atom Heart win the Floyd poll, it has been my favourite a long time.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 03:59
More or less in order:
Lizard
Court
Aspic

Red
Poseidon

Thrak/Vroom
Power
Bible
Islands
Discipline

the rest

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 04:46
Red and LTIA equally.

They never made a bad album.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 09:02
Two things surprise me on this poll....the low number of votes in general  and that Lizard received the most.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 09:59
Maybe people are tired to the polls.

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:18
LTIA, today

Then Islands, Discipline, Red, ITCOTCK, Lizard...

Now all we need is Atom Heart Mother to win a Pink Floyd poll, and there'll be nothing left for us special snowflakes to complain about.

Big smile

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:32
Larks' Tongues for me. It's unlike anything else ever made.

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:34
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Two things surprise me on this poll....the low number of votes in general  and that Lizard received the most.
Maybe it's because most who saw the title thought it referred to KC and the Sunshine Band. LOLTongue

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:40
I remember that Lizard was completely excluded from the first compilation. "A Young OPerson's Guide", and that Fripp, at least at the time, didn't like the album.  I like both Lizard and Islands, but not what came after, apart from a few songs.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 11:07
I'd say Red, but Lizard pulled out all the plugs.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 11:27
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I remember that Lizard was completely excluded from the first compilation. "A Young OPerson's Guide", and that Fripp, at least at the time, didn't like the album.  I like both Lizard and Islands, but not what came after, apart from a few songs.
Well, maybe he has started to like it because Cirkus and part of the Lizard are in the new live. Really great versions, very near of original arrangements!

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 12:29
There wasn't much from "In the Wake of Poseidon" on "A Young Persons Guide" either and I think only "Ladies of the Road" from Islands. Anyway, I had that on cassette back in the eighties when I first got into KC and I wish they would reissue it on cd. 

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 12:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

There wasn't much from "In the Wake of Poseidon" on "A Young Persons Guide" either and I think only "Ladies of the Road" from Islands. Anyway, I had that on cassette back in the eighties when I first got into KC and I wish they would reissue it on cd. 

it had only cadence and cascade and cat food I think from ITWOP, plus you could sort of count "Groon" as being from the same sessions.  It was notable that there was nothing from Lizard, even though the cover was shown along with the others.

I have also heard a few great alternate versions of Cirkus from the original era, which, along with "Prince Rupert Awakes", I consider among KC's best songs.  Some of Lizard is a bit too weird for me, but both it and Islands are unique within the discography, whereas to me the next 3 albums are cut from the same cloth, and the 3 1980s albums are an imperfect pair as well.

I read that "Fallen Angel" was the last time Fripp used acoustic guitar in the studio.  Anyone know why he stopped using it?

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 13:02
I just looked it up on here and it seems that "peace- a theme" was on there as well. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1913

Anyway, I'm not sure why nothing from Lizard is on there either. I think maybe because in Fripp's mind nothing really stood out? I think the main reason is he's just not that big a fan of that album in general. Still, I think "lady of the dancing water" or "indoor games" could have been included.

Edit: Not sure why Fripp stopped using the acoustic guitar. I never noticed that before but now that you mention it you are probably right. 

Also, the cover of AYPGTCK features some strange animal with twenty legs walking up a mountain with a guy playing keyboards on top of it so I'm not sure what you mean when you said the covers are on it? I only had it on cassette though so I don't know what was in the gatefold vinyl version. I actually had to send a letter requesting the booklet that came with the vinyl copy. I must have lost that booklet over 25 years ago. Lol. 

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 13:33
^ in the gatefold there were pictures of all the albums from KC up to that point Smile
I had the LP and you're right about peace a theme, I forgot
Interestingly also, lots from the first album but not "Schizoid Man", which at the time the compilation was released was the only first album song they were playing live I think.
I always loved his acoustic guitar style and the lack of it on later albums is just one of the many reasons I prefer the earlier ones

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 13:38
Oh ok. See I wouldn't know because I've never owned it or seen it. I would like to have a copy one of these days but for now I don't feel like spending 80 dollars for it(If I'm lucky)on ebay. 

I like the later stuff but much of it seems to lack the imagination and experimentation of the first incarnation of the band. Not sure if you are a fan of Rush but most of their later stuff doesn't include much acoustic guitar either(after Permanent Waves) except for a bit on presto and maybe a little bit on their most recent ones. 

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 13:41
hmm I might still have it, thought I got rid of almost all my collection just before the market improved for albums, naturally, but I might have inherited a copy more recently.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 16:39
Itchycock.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 16:44
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Best? Discipline.

This. For "best"--i.e. a collaboration of four musicians each at their very creative & technical peaks.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 23:23
They havenīt used mellotron after seventies, that I think is the one reason why I love seventies material much more. I just love that instrument! But of course not only mellotron can make music great, I donīt think Barcley James Harvest is even near of Crimson greatness although BJH has used a lot more mellotron than Crimson.

Date Posted: January 04 2018 at 23:27
In discogs cheapest young persons... with booklet is 17 euros.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 02:44
I just listened to Lizard for the first time in years, and it's much better than I remember.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 02:55
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Itchycock.

Thumbs Up

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 02:56
One wonders what Fripp's favorite is.....?

;)

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 03:09
"Hello Robert, can you take a part of our poll?"

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:15
Best KC albums? Lizard and Shark Thongs.

My favourite right this minute? Islands because I just span it...also happen to vote for it.

Other tomfoolery? Starless & Bible Black is a better album than Red.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Other tomfoolery? Starless & Bible Black is a better album than Red.
Noooooo! Well, have to admit Starless & Bible is almost as great, really love The Night Watch and Trio in it. And those long jams have many great moments. Improvisations in SABB is better than Providence in Red.

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:33
Still no votes to Poseidon...should I vote it?

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:35
As much as I dig Poseidon it is still a poor man's Itchycock. It is certainly built the same way.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: amity62
Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 06:43
red

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 07:31
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

They havenīt used mellotron after seventies, that I think is the one reason why I love seventies material much more. I just love that instrument! But of course not only mellotron can make music great, I donīt think Barcley James Harvest is even near of Crimson greatness although BJH has used a lot more mellotron than Crimson.

I think both bands are great in their niche.  KC is obviously much more big p Progressive.

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 07:57

As much as I dig Poseidon it is still a poor man's Itchycock. It is certainly built the same way.
No idea whatīs Itchycock. Anyway I think Poseidon work very well as an album, loved it immediately after heard it first time. Sometimes I think their only seventies "failure" was Islands (only b-side, loved always a-side) but nowadays love it too.

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 08:05
I use google and understand it is In the court of... Well, I though same quite soon, after hearing it first time. There is something same in the Pictures Of City and Schizoid, Cadence and I Talk, tittle song and Epitaph. But to me specially that first side just is so great that it didnīt bother me at all. At the moment I love more In the wake of than Epitaph, maybe because sometimes I listened in the court of so much. How many bands of these days make a same album again and again and much duller way?

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 08:09

I use google and understand it is In the court of... Well, I though same quite soon, after hearing it first time. There is something same in the Pictures Of City and Schizoid, Cadence and I Talk, tittle song and Epitaph. But to me specially that first side just is so great that it didnīt bother me at all. At the moment I love more In the wake of than Epitaph, maybe because sometimes I listened in the court of so much. How many bands of these days make a same album again and again and much duller way?

I'd think there are lots of people here who love Poseidon but still wouldn't vote it to be KC's best on a list that has Court and all the other greats, too. I agree, arguably it's something of a Court clone but still great to listen to. It wouldn't qualify for the top spot at all with that description.

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 09:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'd think there are lots of people here who love Poseidon but still wouldn't vote it to be KC's best on a list that has Court and all the other greats, too. I agree, arguably it's something of a Court clone but still great to listen to. It wouldn't qualify for the top spot at all with that description.
I wouldnīt say it a court clone, because b-sides are totally different. Donīt know at all, would Fripp wanted to do it same as Court, there are even part of the tittle song heard in the end of the album although the whole other b-side is different. Anyway great album and I could imagine to vote it Crimsonīs best. It really has all that greatness that is in Crimson music. If somebody thinks Islands is the best, why not Poseidon too?

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 09:31
LTIA

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 15:22

I actually like the song ITWOP more than Epitaph.  It's not the same as saying I think it's better.  But that mellotron theme and the way it builds before the final verse is perhaps my favorite KC moment 

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 15:29

Poor men often get itchycock because they spend all their easy money on ladies of the road. Tongue

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 15:40
So far, I can't vote. I really can't pick between Red, Lizard, and Lark's Tongue.

And then part of me thinks that it needs to go to the Grand daddy of Prog, ITCOTCK. 

-------------
-John

Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 22:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I actually like the song ITWOP more than Epitaph.  It's not the same as saying I think it's better.  But that mellotron theme and the way it builds before the final verse is perhaps my favorite KC moment 
I agree. I touched me a lot when I heard it first time and still touches. Hope new Crimson going to play it.

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: January 05 2018 at 23:07
Not a great fan of KC, but ?I do have 4-5 of their albums.
I voted for their first one.

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: January 13 2018 at 18:33
Larks Tongues in Aspic

This is too easy lol

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: January 14 2018 at 09:15
Red

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 15 2018 at 15:05
Red easily although The Power To Believe is my second favourite.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:19
Out of the classic UK biggies KC is my favorite by quite a margin and I never grow tired of any of their seven first album. Even Poseidon, Islands and Starless are pretty much pure perfection to my ears. Lizard is probably the album that has been growing on me the most over the 25 years I've been a fan. The titletrack is simply out of this world spectaular - something I didn't think the first time I ever heard it and neither the second or third...

But I can't vote for one treasured work of art over another.    

-------------

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: January 17 2018 at 20:51
ITCOTCK and LTIA are out and out masterpieces. Considering the greatness of ITCOTCK the follow up album ITWOP is a little bit disappointing although it has it's moments. Also considering how good Discipline is, the follow up album Beat is a bit disappointing. All the early albums are indispensable owning if you follow the band.

Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 06:04
Although I didn't vote it as number one, I think Beat is criminally underrated. It surely isn't a weak clone of Discipline. It may seem so to some because Discipline was such a groundbreaking thing when it came out. There was nothing even remotely like Discipline in existence (no, it doesn't sound like the Talking Heads). And then when Beat came, it had at least some things in common with Discipline, the general sound setup and some ways of doing things, and of course the same great cover concept, so people would say "it sounds like Discipline" for lack of a better comparison. But all the songs on Beat have a very strong life of their own. Surely considering all aspects the two are at least as different from each other as any randomly drawn two subsequent albums from any good band. Then some criticise Beat for being too commercial, which is even more nonsensical - just for the two or so somewhat catchy tunes on it? I actually like that they manage to put things such as Heartbeat together with Requiem and Neurotica on the same album without making it sound disjointed. A truly great album, listen to it again if you haven't for some time!

(Then, given that The Wall struggles to get votes in the Pink Floyd poll, it is in good company.)

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 13:02
If I were to review all King Crimson albums, I'd be tempted to rate everything from 1969 to 1974 with 5 stars... and maybe even Discipline, on top of that. So it's a really, really tough choice.
That given, in this poll I'd take Lizard. I always save it for good occasions and treat every single listen as a sonical experience. Sounds like stuff inspired by the most colorful and eerie dreams. Such a unique piece of art.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: January 19 2018 at 15:07
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

1. Lizard 
2. Red
4. In The Court of the Crimson King
5. Starless and Bible Black

These are my top 5 as well, though I'd put it in a different order:

1. Red
2. Lizard
4. Starless and Bible Black

Tongue

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: January 19 2018 at 20:39
1. Red, for me, is one of the best rock albums ever. 

2. Discipline

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: January 20 2018 at 00:18
Larks
Discipline
Starless
Court
Power
Thrak

-------------
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: January 21 2018 at 15:48
In the court. I was really amazed when I could hear it in 1970.

Date Posted: January 21 2018 at 17:11
^And it was released in 1969....groundbreaking indeed.....

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 21 2018 at 19:28
Tough choice, but I went with Lark's.  

More than any other KC album, that one floored me. 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: January 22 2018 at 23:15
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Tough choice, but I went with Lark's.  

More than any other KC album, that one floored me. 

Floored me as well, but I think it comes down to when you hear something for the first time and how receptive your ears are. I think I was too young when ITCOTCK came out, so consequently didn't appreciate it as much as LTIA.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk