Songs You Have a New Appreciation For?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112602
Printed Date: May 11 2024 at 00:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Songs You Have a New Appreciation For?
Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Subject: Songs You Have a New Appreciation For?
Date Posted: January 06 2018 at 18:31
What songs stand out to you more now, or do you seem to appreciate more now, than you did initially?

For me, said song is Genesis "The Battle of Epping Forest" off Selling England by The Pound.

I say this because with such an obvious top tier band and record, this one always slipped through the cracks with me. It didn't really "click" until recently. I guess I hear it in a new way; perhaps I have more prog experience now? Tongue

Thoughts? Discuss!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Replies:
Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 06 2018 at 20:43
"R.E.S." by Cardiacs. I originally heard it when watching the music video, and it seemed too silly/zany and noisy for me cause I have a serious side and a gentle soul, and I was never a fan of the circus ( https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/18/TheLeagueOfGentlemen-PapaLazarou.jpg" rel="nofollow - Papa Lazarou excepted).

Then I heard it on the album The Seaside, and I like it more, then I heard it (re-recorded) on the album A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window and I loved it in the context of the album. It's not one that gives me chills unlike in, say, "The Breakfast Line" and it's not one I feel the urge to repeat like "The Whole World Window", but I do indeed love it. The whole album needs to be listened to together -- of course that's how Prog fans will usually say albums should be listened to, we don't just listen to tracks, we listen to albums (sometimes those albums are one track, but you know what I mean). I like the contrast it brings to the album as well as the contrasts in the song itself.

Many people do count R.E.S. as one of their particular favourite Cardiacs' songs, but before I had heard the A Little Man... album, not holding it in high esteem, I felt quite estranged when confronted by the zeal of the R.E.S. fans.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: condor
Date Posted: January 06 2018 at 21:58
Starless.

I always thought it was cracking; now I find it sublime.

Posted By: ReactioninG
Date Posted: January 06 2018 at 22:08
Not exactly prog tracks, but 2017 was the "early Pink Floyd" year for me. Matilda Mother from Piper at the Gates of Dawn and If from Atom Heart Mother are favorites now and I've been more or less listening past them since I was 12 and discovered Pink Floyd.

Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 03:19
You guys are providing exactly what I was hoping for, lol. The idea for this thread hit me on the way home from a jam session with my drummer last evening. I live in New Hampshire and it's all snowy right now. Selling England by The Pound 2008 remix in my car, sounds amazing. "Forest" just hit me in a brand new way, particularly Gabriel's delivery of the vocal line:

Coming over the hill are the boys of Bill,
and Johnny's lads stand very still.
With the thumpire's shout, they all start to clout
- there's no guns in this gentleman's bout.

Georgie moves in on the outside left
with a chain flying round his head;
and Harold Demure, from Art Literature,
nips up the nearest tree.
(Here come the cavalry!)

Amidst the battle roar,
accountants keep the score: 10-4.
They've never been alone, after getting a radiophone.
The bluebells are ringing for Sweetmeal Sam, real ham,
handing out bread and jam just like any picnic...picnic...picnic...picnic...

It finally hit me how intricate and dynamic this part of the song is. This is progressive rock in a nutshell. Add Tony Banks' archetypal synth leads (I jokingly call them "PBS synth"; people age 27-32 will in USA will know what I mean by this, lol), and you've got the makings of a prog epic. It's almost like a small Gates of Delirium in a sense.

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 07:56
Birth Of Liquid Plejades by Tangerine Dream. Zeit is an album that I initially hated, rediscovered after many years and now one of my all-time favorite. Never say never...

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 08:00
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

What songs stand out to you more now, or do you seem to appreciate more now, than you did initially?

For me, said song is Genesis "The Battle of Epping Forest" off Selling England by The Pound.

I say this because with such an obvious top tier band and record, this one always slipped through the cracks with me. It didn't really "click" until recently. I guess I hear it in a new way; perhaps I have more prog experience now? Tongue

Thoughts? Discuss!

I agree. Just yesterday, I was listening to Selling England by The Pound, and for the first time in a while, I was paying a lot of attention the musicianship. The Battle of Epping Forest really stood out to me in that regard.

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 08:07
love Epping and always have--it's smart funny epic---musicianship is great and Steve's guitar at the end is sublime.

Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 08:41
Cool to see I'm not the only one. It's definitely my favorite Gabriel-era Genesis record. After the Ordeal is fantastic too!

-------------

Posted By: fredyair
Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 09:49
Everything Yes, ELP...well everything '70s, mostly because now I can afford a muuuuch better sound system...

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 10:50
Trilogy by ELP. I've always enjoyed the album as a whole, although Hoedown and The Endless Enigma always grabbed me more. However, listened to the track with new ears over the last year or so (with Greg and Keith's passing) and I am amazed by the variety of style, pace and depth within it.

The Battle of Epping Forest has always been a favourite, not least for it's lyrical flair. However, focusing on the instrumentation behind it always surprises and seems to stand out even more with every play.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 11:12
Didnīt get into Close to the Edge at first at all. Now I think itīs really great piece.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 12:48
Gong for the One for me, also Rush's Madrigal. I could also add the first Flower Kings album, somehow, it's starting to grow on me a lot.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 07 2018 at 16:04
Hard to think of many examples. Perhaps Rainbow - Stargazer simply because no one else has come remotely close to creating anything like that and it still feels 'relevant' somehow.

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: January 08 2018 at 09:59
Didn't like 80s KC when I first got into prog. Love it, and everything that Belew brought to the band, now. (Mind you I was pretty close-minded back then)

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 08 2018 at 10:11
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Birth Of Liquid Plejades by Tangerine Dream. Zeit is an album that I initially hated, rediscovered after many years and now one of my all-time favorite. Never say never...

That's my new sleepy time album. TD in general left my cold until recently. And really, the 80's output still does. But recently I have become obsessed with aquiring all their 70's output. Zeit and Stratosphere right now being my favourites.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 08 2018 at 10:58
This tends to happen with the music I come to appreciate the most - y'know the stuff that took a little while to sink in. Heck some times it's ditties/sounds/pieces that initially leave no impression at all or conversely make you want to jump out of your own brain through the backdoor....but then something happens, you step on a crab in the right moment while Henry Cow is playing and suddenly everything fits...like a glove. Can be anything really: one day you really LISTEN to the song unlike the other times where it just seemed to be playing by itself. You engage. You decide to open up the ear doors and music that previously seemed like pap or that linned type thread that always accumulates at the end of your mits - now reappears in all of its splendour with silver coconuts and beaming bazookas.
Other times it's simply the result of a good footrub, an unusually succulent pineapple treat, stork in the lavatory or a good shot of horse.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: xhouse
Date Posted: January 08 2018 at 13:17
Funny you should post this now. I was just listening to the song sequence "A Headlong Stretch" from PETER HAMMILL's Roaring Forties release. I never realized what a great song it is. So 23 years later I finally get it and it's a nice, unexpected gift. I'm now re-listening to all Hammill's work to see what else I "missed."

-------------
Between Thought and Expression Lies True Perception

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 08 2018 at 14:50
A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers

Date Posted: January 08 2018 at 17:53
Amidst the battle roar,
accountants keep the score: 10-4.
They've never been alone, after getting a radiophone.
The bluebells are ringing for Sweetmeal Sam, real ham,
handing out bread and jam just like any picnic...picnic...picnic...picnic...

Will not leave my head! LOL

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 08 2018 at 20:42

Cool to see I'm not the only one. It's definitely my favorite Gabriel-era Genesis record. After the Ordeal is fantastic too!

I also love the lyrics--from Epping

There's no one else alive--must be a drawer
So the black cap barons toss a coin to settle the score!

as you may or may not know this song was based on something the guys read in a newspaper---a real story of gangs and gangsters

Posted By: Blinkyjoh
Date Posted: January 09 2018 at 12:16
Onward by Yes. 
I sorta ignored some of the tracks on Tormato, but then last year heard Onward as a part of a medley by ..Unitopia i think..One of my favourite tracks on that album now.

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: January 09 2018 at 22:54
Always been a fan of Epping Forest, and never got the hate some people had for it. I guess I just enjoyed the journey. (Even if I didn't immediately enjoy the keyboard discord near "Picnic")

On a related note. I bought Hackett's Spectral Mournings early in my Hackett catalog. I loved almost all of it. Except the title track. 

It just seemed repetitive and boring. And for decades that's been the reaction that I got every time I tried to listen to it. And then one time I put it on and got the subtle variations. I can't say that it's not repetitive, but I enjoy it more. 

-------------
-John

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 09 2018 at 23:03
I have get into whole Van Der Graaf Generator music just some years ago. Have got Pawn Hearts into cassette over 20 years, listened it sometimes until it hits me some years ago and I started to listen all their other albums. Itīs still not one of my big favourites like Wigwam, Floyd, KC.

Date Posted: January 10 2018 at 02:28
Originally posted by Blinkyjoh Blinkyjoh wrote:

Onward by Yes. 
I sorta ignored some of the tracks on Tormato, but then last year heard Onward as a part of a medley by ..Unitopia i think..One of my favourite tracks on that album now.

I'm a huge Yes fan, and I still ignore this album unfairly. Your post has given me urgency to reprise!

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I also love the lyrics--from Epping

There's no one else alive--must be a drawer
So the black cap barons toss a coin to settle the score!

as you may or may not know this song was based on something the guys read in a newspaper---a real story of gangs and gangsters

Doesn't surprise me! Perhaps they got an early taste for "Robbery, Assault and Battery" while they were at it? Wink 

I LOVE that line btw! It's not just the lyrics that rule, but Gabriel's DELIVERY of them. "Settle the scooooooooooore!" Half of my fascination with that era is how he SPEAKS the words into the songs. Absolute master.

"Oh, no, not me! I'm a man of repute..."

"In with a left hook is the Bethnal Green Butcher,
but he's countered on the right by Mick's chain-gang fight,
and Liquid Len, with his smashed bottle men,
is lobbing Bob the Nob across the gob.
With his kisser in a mess, Bob seems under stress,
but Jones the Jug hits Len right in the mug;
and Harold Demure, who's still not quite sure,
fires acorns from out of his sling.
(Here come the cavalry!)"

^ 10/10 lol. I love how he squeezes the "calvary" line in there almost under his breath but still melodically. It sounds like a separate take, and doesn't matter if it is honestly.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 10 2018 at 03:13
Right - I thought if Devo as a bunch of nerds. Whip It is a very clever song.
The bottom line is :    you gotta look at what they were doing, how they were doing it, and not what presenting overall.

Posted By: mooguy
Date Posted: January 13 2018 at 15:48
Frank Zappa's "The Gumbo Variations" from Hot Rats Clap

Gentle Giant's "Aspirations" as well Tongue

Posted By: mooguy
Date Posted: January 13 2018 at 15:50
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers

I never tire of his track.. timeless Thumbs Up

Date Posted: January 13 2018 at 19:27
Originally posted by mooguy mooguy wrote: