Best Pink Floyd Album (really again)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112639
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 01:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best Pink Floyd Album (really again)
Posted By: Mortte
Subject: Best Pink Floyd Album (really again)
Date Posted: January 10 2018 at 22:48
This is asked, so I do it. No multiple votes this time. I put Floyd live albums here too, because there were only three official. Do they get any votes, we will see. If there are now more votes to Endless river than the Wall, I will eat something unhealthy (too much candies). Also I will enjoy that Atom Heart Mother will have at least a minute 100% of votes.

Replies:
Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 02:08
And for this brief, shining moment in time, that incandenscent flicker of life amidst our sorrows, Atom Heart Mother takes the lead. Tomorrow shall bring corruption, but today we realize our collective destiny. 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 02:36
Wish You Were Here (again).

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 02:59
Animals (once again)

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 03:06
I really wait when there comes a vote to the Endless River. There are already one in Obscured by Clouds.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 03:20
Obscured by Clouds, just ahead of Meddle and Animals.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 03:48
Today More. Tomorrow Ummagumma...and the day after Atom Heart Mother......but never ever The Final Cut. Why is that? Because it is rubbish.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 04:20
The Endlless River a hundred times over
Just kidding !!
Today, WYWH, tomorrow, probably Saucerful. Then maybe Atom Heart, More......
I love TER a lot, but it will never be a favourite.

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 04:36
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Obscured by Clouds, just ahead of Meddle and Animals.
This is of course matter of opinions, different tastes etc. and not even absolutely serious but still...Obscured best Pink Floyd album? They composed and recorded it in a few days and you can hear it. I really like tittle track, When Youīre In, Burning Bridges, Mudmen and Childhoodīs End, but the rest is less or more mediocre. I think itīs the same if somebodyīs saying a-side of the Meddle is best Pink Floyd ever made (nobody voted Meddle at all, Obscured got already two votes). If Obscured was the best Pink Floyd album, I donīt think Floyd would have ever risen one of the greatest bands to me.

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 04:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Today More. Tomorrow Ummagumma...and the day after Atom Heart Mother......but never ever The Final Cut. Why is that? Because it is rubbish.
Noooo! Maybe you should give it a one more try? I listened it few days ago, havenīt before that listened it many years and it was a lot better than I remembered. Hundred times better than any solo album of Floyd members!

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 04:41
Atom Heart is leading!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 05:36
Pink Floyd had some amazing albums and a fantastic career, that it's quite difficult to choose which album is the best. My vote will go to Wish You Were Here, but Animals, The Wall, More, Obscure By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother, are also excellent choices. I really enjoy their music.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 06:04
Today it's Dark Side of the Moon . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 06:18
Obscured by Clouds (again)

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 06:27
WYWH...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Michael P. Dawson
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 06:29
I've always liked the post-Syd/pre-DSOTM era best. I went with Atom Heart Mother, but it could easily have been Ummagumma. But, wow, where's the love for Meddle?

-------------
Buy this thing!
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson" rel="nofollow - https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 06:38
I love most every release they ever put out...I mean, even if `The Endless River' is hardly memorable, it's by no means a bad album. Pretty amazing bad to have not a single bad album in their discography!

But I always adore `More', their last full blown psychedelic album, and I love its acid-friend rough n' heavy edges and hazy folk flavours. It's such a `summer' album as well, sits alongside albums like Ash Ra Tempel's `Starring Rosi' very nicely

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 06:46
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Noooo! Maybe you should give it a one more try? I listened it few days ago, havenīt before that listened it many years and it was a lot better than I remembered. Hundred times better than any solo album of Floyd members!

I took your advice and put it on. Sorry but I couldn't make it past the 15 minute mark before I had to turn it off. To me it genuinely sounds like outtakes from The Wall served up without the 'magic' that is Floyd when they are at their absolute best: together cooperating as a team.

Btw I completely understand how some would consider Obscured by Clouds their best album. Maybe it was their first Floyd album. Maybe it was the one that finally spoke to them. Maybe they heard it while drunk/happy/drugged out their minds and it made sense.
The more I learn about other people and their listening habits the more I believe in subjectivity and how nothing is worth measuring without a set of tastebuds...individual as they may be.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 06:47
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I love most every release they ever put out...I mean, even if `The Endless River' is hardly memorable, it's by no means a bad album. Pretty amazing bad to have not a single bad album in their discography!

But I always adore `More', their last full blown psychedelic album, and I love its acid-friend rough n' heavy edges and hazy folk flavours. It's such a `summer' album as well, sits alongside albums like Ash Ra Tempel's `Starring Rosi' very nicely

One more for ze more.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 06:57

I took your advice and put it on. Sorry but I couldn't make it past the 15 minute mark before I had to turn it off. To me it genuinely sounds like outtakes from The Wall served up without the 'magic' that is Floyd when they are at their absolute best: together cooperating as a team.

Btw I completely understand how some would consider Obscured by Clouds their best album. Maybe it was their first Floyd album. Maybe it was the one that finally spoke to them. Maybe they heard it while drunk/happy/drugged out their minds and it made sense.
The more I learn about other people and their listening habits the more I believe in subjectivity and how nothing is worth measuring without a set of tastebuds...individual as they may be.
Well, you tried it...

Yes, older I get more obscure this world seem to be. No votes to Piper, Ummagumma of Meddle, but already three of Obscured...Of course subjectivity is a main thing in my opinions. But still I think if I had listened Obscured first, I think it would have taken years to me to go back Floyd. I remembered when I heard it first time, really didnīt make any impression to me. So this voting has gone into same way as before?

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 07:10
If you're looking for an 'objective' votng process then I think you will need a time machine and fly back to whenever the internet was still fresh and people were more...erm...honest??...yeah that is the wrong word surely, but when the same people have talked about the same subject for about 10 years they tend to veer off in directions that appear more 'individual'. 'I am unique and wholly myself'. It is the modern mantra and it manifeste itself wherever you look. Whether it's fashion, tattoos, music, movies or mere communication it is apparently imperative to be 'original'.

Then there are folks who like to be contrarians meaning whatever you say, mean or do they'll automatically take the opposite stance. I do this quite a lot in real life conversations, but that is more because I love showcasing when people are using phony political correctness in order to masque their real intentions.

There are also just members who've done this poll so many times before that it is nice with a little change. I'd peobably say that Atom Heart Mother usually is the one I consider their best...but today my favourite is More.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 07:13
Choose yr favorite and Best are two entirely different polls...just saying.

For me, the best would have to be Dark Side of the Moon, in songwriting, production, presentation, longevity, concept, etc...but it's far from my own favorite.

That would be Piper (thank you, Syd), or Saucerful of Secrets...or the live Ummagumma disc. The earliest stuff just has a more compelling aura...

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 07:27
Ummagumma is my favorite, followed by Piper, Atom Heat Mother and Dark Side. 

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:04
I was tempted to vote for Meddle (as no one else has yet) but Animals is just too damned good.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:11
votes Meddle

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:36
WYWH.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:47
Fav? Piper. Best? Animals.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:52

If you're looking for an 'objective' votng process then I think you will need a time machine and fly back to whenever the internet was still fresh and people were more...erm...honest??...yeah that is the wrong word surely, but when the same people have talked about the same subject for about 10 years they tend to veer off in directions that appear more 'individual'. 'I am unique and wholly myself'. It is the modern mantra and it manifeste itself wherever you look. Whether it's fashion, tattoos, music, movies or mere communication it is apparently imperative to be 'original'.

Then there are folks who like to be contrarians meaning whatever you say, mean or do they'll automatically take the opposite stance. I do this quite a lot in real life conversations, but that is more because I love showcasing when people are using phony political correctness in order to masque their real intentions.

There are also just members who've done this poll so many times before that it is nice with a little change. I'd peobably say that Atom Heart Mother usually is the one I consider their best...but today my favourite is More.
I understand what youīre talking about, seen also lot of that. But anyway I say I think itīs stupid to like some album just the reason most fans donīt like it, just to become original. I like what I like, doesnīt matter to me is something very popular or not. I donīt think somebody is a person if he chooses always something no-one else doesnīt choose, I think then the one is a same kind of robot as the people who choose everything according to fashion or salesmen etc. 

And I am not meaning all who thinks Obscured is Floydīs best album, donīt choose it for honest opinion. I just donīt understand it. Even we all have original tastes, I still believe there is some kind of objectivity in music hearing. I really understand people are not choosing Dark Side the best, also I really understand why you like much More, because itīs very near of Piper or saucerful. But does anyone seriously claim, the Beatles For Sale is Beatles best album?

Anyway there seem to be love almost all Pink Floyd albums which I think is a great thing.

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:55
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Choose yr favorite and Best are two entirely different polls...just saying.

For me, the best would have to be Dark Side of the Moon, in songwriting, production, presentation, longevity, concept, etc...but it's far from my own favorite.

That would be Piper (thank you, Syd), or Saucerful of Secrets...or the live Ummagumma disc. The earliest stuff just has a more compelling aura...
Sorry, I didnīt understand favourite and best are different things, because to me theyīre same. My favourite in every band is that album which I think has the best music IMO. But donīt make that mistake ever again.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 09:48
Ummagumma's live album is the best; the studio/solo album is still fine but nowhere near Pink Floyd's best.
Animals is most consistent and I love it.
Meddle has, in Echoes, probably the best half album of all time.

Vote Ummagumma considering that if I could pick just one out of these to have, Ummagumma would be it, although there's the somewhat unfair situation that Ummagumma gives me twice as many minutes of music as most of the competitors, even though I wouldn't rate half of these minutes that high.

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 10:08
wish you were here (again)

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 10:23
Animals.

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 12:15
Atom Heart Mother (again and again)

My fav always will be Pompeii, indeed.

-------------

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 16:19
Hard to vote against Meddle because Echoes is Floyd's greatest song, but Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece and how I voted. But I do have a special place in my heart for Wish You Were Here as it literally saved my life at college. I was in my dorm (had the room to myself, but that's another story) and was listening to WYWH with the lights out, only a candle burning. If the music hadn't been incredible, I most likely would have fallen asleep and would't have known when my girlfriend's stalker came into the room with a knife to remove his rival (me). Yes, I was stupid and didn't lock the door but it was 1975 and didn't worry about such things then. This guy came in; I pretended to be asleep and when he got close to my bed I punched him in the throat with all my might and he dropped the knife. I kicked it under the bed and jumped at him. He was crazy, I was taller, bigger, stronger and he nearly beat the crap out of me until others in the hall came to my aid. If the music hadn't been so enthralling I would most likely have been stabbed to death in my bed. (Hard to believe I didn't vote WYWH! But Dark Side of Moon is one of greatest albums EVER.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 16:49
Meddle>Wish You Are Here>Dark Side of the Moon

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 18:29
Floyd was the band that got me into all forms of progressive music. I agree there really is not a bad Floyd album. I have real soft spots for Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Meddle (even More and Obscured)...but... I really think The Wall is a singular achievement. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 18:41
A few years back, I voted for WYWH every time.

Now, I vote for Meddle

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 21:41
Indeed for me Pink Floyd did no bad album, and the triad of Dakr Side to Animals (perhaps including the song Echoes, if I may chat a bit) is the run of albums for me (actually, I would also include The Division Bell, but it breaks the continuity, and the feel of the album is different... and perhaps also "Live in Pompeii, but that one being a video sort of doesn't fit either). However, my favourite one is and always will be Wish you were Here (though, actually, Animals is almost tied in my preference). Oh, and for the time, you will have to eat something un-healty, since The Endless River had more votes than The Wall (even if it's only one vote against zero).

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 21:47

Perhaps 15 min is just not enough to get to the better stuff from The Final Cut. Yeah, it's not one of their greater albums, but it is still good. And the best songs are nearer the end. Mostly "The Fletcher Memorial Home" and the title track are just as good as anything on The Wall (actually, the Hero's Return too, but I have heard the single version that includes parts 1 & 2, and while the version on the album is too short to really enjoy it, this other version is really great). I guess the most important thing missing on this album is Wright... the album just misses his atmosphere (even though The Wall itself doesn't have enough Wright... and I guess that's the reason that won't let me put the album at the same level as it's predecesors).

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:22
^Not Now John is nearest of the old Floyd (I think itīs the only one where Gilmour is singing). But I think the Final Cut is just not for David.

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:24
I know the Wall is not respected in the general music world, but not even here? To me itīs after Tommy and Lamb one of the greatest double concept-albums.

Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:25
Just noticed some clown has voted Endless River.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:35
Ummagumma 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 12 2018 at 06:22
Dark Side for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: January 12 2018 at 08:32
i said i voted Meddle but i selected Atom Heart Mother

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 12 2018 at 11:14
I love bits and pieces off all the albums but for ones I love all the way through, it's a tough choice between Piper & The Final Cut...since no one else will likely do it I'll vote for The Final Cut Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 12 2018 at 11:32
Wish you were here is probably my favorite followed by AHM then Meddle. After that probably Animals. Most of the others are a bit too played out for me. Even much of WYWH is played out  but I really like the shine on stuff on there. Whether you want to call them prog or not PF was a band that at one point really wasn't afraid to stretch out and do longer pieces of music. You would think more kiddies would catch on and get into Yes and maybe early Genesis as a result but no instead their record collections consist of PF and all the other stuff being alternative and growling death metal. LOL

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: January 12 2018 at 14:28
Ummagumma

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: January 12 2018 at 19:03
Dark Side and Meddle are my two favourites in that order.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: January 12 2018 at 21:28

^Not Now John is nearest of the old Floyd (I think itīs the only one where Gilmour is singing). But I think the Final Cut is just not for David.

Actually, Not Now John is another of the stand-out tracks for me (just as Two Suns in the Sunset), but I thought the other two ones were just a step ahead. And I do love Gilmour's guitars on the title track... it just shows how important he was to help Waters songs to stand out, as compared to songs from Amused to Death where at many points it shows how a bit of Gilmour could have improved them a lot, even if there was an outstanding guitar player on the album (I particularly remember the song Amused to Death part 3, that really screams for a David Gilmour solo).

Date Posted: January 12 2018 at 21:30

I know the Wall is not respected in the general music world, but not even here? To me itīs after Tommy and Lamb one of the greatest double concept-albums.

I do like The Wall a lot, and it is my favourite Dobule concept album (much better than The Lamb for me, though I don't know Tommy). And I think the lyrics and concept are brilliant. It's just that what the band and done before is notably better. Actually I have a list on my IPod with my favourite tracks from The Wall, plus including the better ones from The Final Cut, and even the solo albums at the time from Gilmour and Wright, putting all the songs in the order that I thought might keep the concept and music flowing the right way (the solo albums because one of the complaints of Waters, as far as I remember, with the band at the time was that Gilmour and Wright were not contributing music, and instead used their ideas for the solo albums). For me it sounds so much better that way.

Date Posted: January 12 2018 at 22:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do like The Wall a lot, and it is my favourite Dobule concept album (much better than The Lamb for me, though I don't know Tommy). And I think the lyrics and concept are brilliant. It's just that what the band and done before is notably better. Actually I have a list on my IPod with my favourite tracks from The Wall, plus including the better ones from The Final Cut, and even the solo albums at the time from Gilmour and Wright, putting all the songs in the order that I thought might keep the concept and music flowing the right way (the solo albums because one of the complaints of Waters, as far as I remember, with the band at the time was that Gilmour and Wright were not contributing music, and instead used their ideas for the solo albums). For me it sounds so much better that way.
Of course I wouldnīt not ever vote the Wall, because there are so many better albums. I am just wondering why it still gets any votes, because even Momentary Lapse has got and Endless already two. Well I quess there are those who donīt like Floyd at all and they want to add some humour here. Itīs ok to me, this is not absolutely serious.

Watched yesterday Fletcher memorial Home and Final Cut-vids and they looked and specially sounded so great! Gilmour solos are really great in those, there any even near in Waters solo albums. I really think now Final Cut is really underrated Floyd album, to me itīs far better than those rest non-Waters albums at the moment.

I think Gilmour did something to the Wall, Wright was only a hired musician in the Wall tour.

Date Posted: January 13 2018 at 21:58

Of course I wouldnīt not ever vote the Wall, because there are so many better albums. I am just wondering why it still gets any votes, because even Momentary Lapse has got and Endless already two. Well I quess there are those who donīt like Floyd at all and they want to add some humour here. Itīs ok to me, this is not absolutely serious.

Watched yesterday Fletcher memorial Home and Final Cut-vids and they looked and specially sounded so great! Gilmour solos are really great in those, there any even near in Waters solo albums. I really think now Final Cut is really underrated Floyd album, to me itīs far better than those rest non-Waters albums at the moment.

I think Gilmour did something to the Wall, Wright was only a hired musician in the Wall tour.

I am actually fond of the Gilmour led Floyd too. Actually, Division Bell is my third favourite Floyd album, and it would have been even better if they had mixed in some of the music that was left for what became Endless River (even if that meant leaving out a few songs that did make it into Division Bell).

Date Posted: January 13 2018 at 22:45

I am actually fond of the Gilmour led Floyd too. Actually, Division Bell is my third favourite Floyd album, and it would have been even better if they had mixed in some of the music that was left for what became Endless River (even if that meant leaving out a few songs that did make it into Division Bell).
Well, I think after Barrett Waters was the greatest creative force of Floydīs, and how great albums the Wall and the Final Cut are comparing to Momentary & Division proofs that. But I have become in my older age mercyful to those two albums, I think they have enough Floyd magic to like them.

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: January 14 2018 at 00:47
The Wall isn't necessarily reviled around here, but I figure that as with many or most concept albums, the narrative starts to dominate the music. The need for plentiful lyrics overwhelms and disintegrates musical inspiration. I do enjoy The Wall from start to finish, but there isn't a single track, in and of itself, that rivals the groups earlier offerings (the same is true of Lamb and Tommy, incidentally). So while many of us may enjoy the album, I can understand it being difficult for any one person to consider it their absolute favorite; it simply isn't distinctive and singular enough. Even The Final Cut, for all its problems, is genuinely daring in how incredibly (and perhaps ill-advisedly) tortured and misanthropic it is. 

Date Posted: January 14 2018 at 01:42
Still I donīt understand why the Wall hasnīt got at least a single vote. All the other studio albums have got (well who knows are those Endless River voters serious). I think there are also great tracks that are better than most of the tracks in Wish You Were Here. All the parts of Another Brick, Goodbye Blue Sky, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell for example. Also even I started to like the Final Cut much more than before, the Wall is far superior to me.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 14 2018 at 02:47
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Wish You Were Here (again).
ditto

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 14 2018 at 18:28
Meddle is the one that resonated with me for personal reasons when I was in college but I think Dark Side is their best.....for me the songwriting is excellent on that one....while their playing reached a peak on Wish and Animals.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: January 14 2018 at 21:04

Well, I think after Barrett Waters was the greatest creative force of Floydīs, and how great albums the Wall and the Final Cut are comparing to Momentary & Division proofs that. But I have become in my older age mercyful to those two albums, I think they have enough Floyd magic to like them.

As far as I understand it, it was not until Dark Side that Waters became the band's greatest creative force, and then it was mostly for the development of concepts, for the music was still more evenly created between the band. But Waters indeed appears in all the credits because of the lyrics, even if he didn't really contribute that much to the writing of the music. It was not until The Wall (and The Final Cut, of course) that he really took control of the music and concept... and that's how I can compare how much I think he wasn't enough to make the band so great... and then his solo albums confirm it.   Once again, as far as Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are concerned, at least I like DB more than The Wall, and I guess MLoR takes the edge over TFC (at least slightly, though I think both are somewhat tied). Still, those two (or 3?) Gilmour led albums did loose something with the loss of Waters... but at the same time they gained a new sound that I am fond of indeed... they seem to have taken the blueprint of Comfortably Numb, actually, the greatest song on The Wall, and many of the songs on those two albums are, for me, at least as great as CN, so that is enough to make them a great addition to Floyd's discography.

Date Posted: January 14 2018 at 22:50

As far as I understand it, it was not until Dark Side that Waters became the band's greatest creative force, and then it was mostly for the development of concepts, for the music was still more evenly created between the band. But Waters indeed appears in all the credits because of the lyrics, even if he didn't really contribute that much to the writing of the music. It was not until The Wall (and The Final Cut, of course) that he really took control of the music and concept... and that's how I can compare how much I think he wasn't enough to make the band so great... and then his solo albums confirm it.   Once again, as far as Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are concerned, at least I like DB more than The Wall, and I guess MLoR takes the edge over TFC (at least slightly, though I think both are somewhat tied). Still, those two (or 3?) Gilmour led albums did loose something with the loss of Waters... but at the same time they gained a new sound that I am fond of indeed... they seem to have taken the blueprint of Comfortably Numb, actually, the greatest song on The Wall, and many of the songs on those two albums are, for me, at least as great as CN, so that is enough to make them a great addition to Floyd's discography.
I just read Pink Floyd book, there is said that after Barrett Waters took the lead of Pink Floyd (also I have read that same thing before somewhere else). I donīt believe Pink Floyd would have continued after Barrett without Waters. It took a while when Gilmour started composing. In Saucerful Of Secrets there are three Waters-songs, two Wrightīs (I really liked all Wright songs), one Barrett and one whole band composition. In More there are five Waters compositions, 6 whole group compositions, one Mason/Wright composition and one Gilmour piece, which really shows his compositions talents of that time. After those albums band started equally compose, although I think Masonīs part has never been big.

I think if Waters hadnīt take the lead in Animals, Floyd albums would have sounded like Wish You Were Here. To me Momentary Lapse & Division Bell are continuation of Wish You Were Here, I donīt think there are much of new (well they modernize their sound, but still those albums are Wish You Were Here of eighties and nineties). Theyīre ok albums to me, but nothing more.

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: January 15 2018 at 10:17
Atom Heart Mother, as ever.

Interesting to see that even after 68 votes, The Wall has yet to receive any votes at all.

If included, I would have voted for Cre/Ation, which is mostly unreleased material.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: January 15 2018 at 13:33
Piper isn't the "best" PF album, it's the "only" PF album (aside from bits of Saucerful).  Without Syd, they were a different band, and one that I'm not particularly fond of.

Date Posted: January 15 2018 at 21:29

I just read Pink Floyd book, there is said that after Barrett Waters took the lead of Pink Floyd (also I have read that same thing before somewhere else). I donīt believe Pink Floyd would have continued after Barrett without Waters. It took a while when Gilmour started composing. In Saucerful Of Secrets there are three Waters-songs, two Wrightīs (I really liked all Wright songs), one Barrett and one whole band composition. In More there are five Waters compositions, 6 whole group compositions, one Mason/Wright composition and one Gilmour piece, which really shows his compositions talents of that time. After those albums band started equally compose, although I think Masonīs part has never been big.

I think if Waters hadnīt take the lead in Animals, Floyd albums would have sounded like Wish You Were Here. To me Momentary Lapse & Division Bell are continuation of Wish You Were Here, I donīt think there are much of new (well they modernize their sound, but still those albums are Wish You Were Here of eighties and nineties). Theyīre ok albums to me, but nothing more.

I guess it's safe to believe Waters was mostly the leader since Barrett "left" the band, perhaps the one that pushed on. But as you say, even in Saucerful Wright was still writing songs, and it's only 3 against 2. More is indeed dominated by Waters, though. And after that it's pretty even indeed. Still, I guess it does show more input from Waters since Dark Side in the concept part, and I still don't buy that Waters had the lead on Animals, at least not in the writing department. Yeah, it's only one song co-written with Gilmour, but once again, credits to Waters are because of the lyrics, but as far as I understand, it is mostly a Gilmour song, and that one takes almost half the album, and it is for me the best song on the album (though of course I do love it all). I don't think the Gilmour led albums are so similar to Wish you were Here, for the format of that album is very different... much more atmospheric and less song-oriented (mostly because of Shine On), but I guess great part of what I do love from them is indeed whatever similarities they might have had with Wish you were Here indeed. Though I insist they are more of a continuation of Comfrotably Numb.

Date Posted: January 15 2018 at 22:42

I guess it's safe to believe Waters was mostly the leader since Barrett "left" the band, perhaps the one that pushed on. But as you say, even in Saucerful Wright was still writing songs, and it's only 3 against 2. More is indeed dominated by Waters, though. And after that it's pretty even indeed. Still, I guess it does show more input from Waters since Dark Side in the concept part, and I still don't buy that Waters had the lead on Animals, at least not in the writing department. Yeah, it's only one song co-written with Gilmour, but once again, credits to Waters are because of the lyrics, but as far as I understand, it is mostly a Gilmour song, and that one takes almost half the album, and it is for me the best song on the album (though of course I do love it all). I don't think the Gilmour led albums are so similar to Wish you were Here, for the format of that album is very different... much more atmospheric and less song-oriented (mostly because of Shine On), but I guess great part of what I do love from them is indeed whatever similarities they might have had with Wish you were Here indeed. Though I insist they are more of a continuation of Comfrotably Numb.
Well, itīs not belief, itīs something that I read from the Pink Floyd book Smile. Of course itīs hard to know what truly happend those days when Barrett got sick, but I understood Mason & Wright were quite hopeless for the future of Pink Floyd, Gilmour has just become to the band, so Waters decided to take a lead. Although he didnīt wrote all the songs, he was a kind of mentally leader who made others to believe they could make it without Syd. And they did. I think youīre right about Dogs, I think also itīs the greatest piece in Animals and I believe too itīs mostly made by Gilmour. Anyway that time Wright was mostly out of the game. I think there are lots of people, who claim Waters about that what he did to Wright. But it was true Wright had that time really big drug problem and he truly wasnīt interested to do anything in Pink Floyd. Of course Roger could have handle the situation better way, but in the book it was said he regreted the those things afterwards.

Date Posted: January 15 2018 at 22:51
Well, I think there are quite much of atmospheric and less song oriented stuff in the Momentary and Division just like Wish You Were. Signs Of Life, Round and Around, New Machineīs and Terminal Frost in Momentary and Cluster One and Marooned in Division. Less in the Division, but then again Endless is full of it and itīs made same time as Division.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 16 2018 at 15:00

I love TFC, too. I happened to relisten to it recently, and even if it misses Wright who I think has been essential to the Floyd sound, Southampton Docks is a great track.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 16 2018 at 15:00
Btw, I can't vote. Today I'd say Piper, but usually it's Meddle

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: January 16 2018 at 15:12
Curious to see DSOTM keeps getting (much deserved) anonymous votes - no one wants to acknowledge out in the open the obvious choice of the silent masses, why is that so?

Date Posted: January 16 2018 at 21:31

Well, itīs not belief, itīs something that I read from the Pink Floyd book Smile. Of course itīs hard to know what truly happend those days when Barrett got sick, but I understood Mason & Wright were quite hopeless for the future of Pink Floyd, Gilmour has just become to the band, so Waters decided to take a lead. Although he didnīt wrote all the songs, he was a kind of mentally leader who made others to believe they could make it without Syd. And they did. I think youīre right about Dogs, I think also itīs the greatest piece in Animals and I believe too itīs mostly made by Gilmour. Anyway that time Wright was mostly out of the game. I think there are lots of people, who claim Waters about that what he did to Wright. But it was true Wright had that time really big drug problem and he truly wasnīt interested to do anything in Pink Floyd. Of course Roger could have handle the situation better way, but in the book it was said he regreted the those things afterwards.

I still might wonder how well informed was the writer, specially on those internal affairs. Better than us, at least. However, I would expect Nick Mason's book to be the best to get a good idea about the inner workings of the band through it's different eras.

Date Posted: January 16 2018 at 21:37

Well, I think there are quite much of atmospheric and less song oriented stuff in the Momentary and Division just like Wish You Were. Signs Of Life, Round and Around, New Machineīs and Terminal Frost in Momentary and Cluster One and Marooned in Division. Less in the Division, but then again Endless is full of it and itīs made same time as Division.

Yeah, but those pieces on Momentary Lapse are more like an intro and interludes, rather short pieces. Except for Terminal Frost, but even though it's instrumental, it sounds more like an instrumental song than an ambient piece. And the album does has it's good bits of instrumental guitar solos on the songs, but it doesn't quiet sound the same as in Echoes, Shine On, Dogs... or some others. And indeed Division Bell has a bit less of those moments, and even though The Endless River is full of it, well, it was not chosen to be used on DB. Even though I do love DB, I believe if they had used some of those instrumental ambient music and incorporated it into the album, they could have rivaled what they achieved in the 70's, but it just seems it's not what they were looking for.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 17 2018 at 00:06
This trio are as close to perfection as Pink Floyd ever came to my ears. As I even like Seamus I'll give my vote to the one on top:
Meddle
Saucerful Of Secrets
Piper at the Gates Of Dawn

Almost there:
Atom Heart Mother 

One and a half off: 
Ummagumma
The Wall 
Dark Side Of the Moon (love the opening and end, not so much the middle)

I think I understand the appeal, but these classics only works for me in parts:
Wish You Were Here
Animals

-Great in parts but extremely patchy:
More
Obscured by Clouds

-The rest are about as interesting to me as Chris Rea or a Mark Knopfler solo album (=not the worst music on the planet but I'm indifferent/bored)

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 30 2018 at 16:53
Meddle 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: January 30 2018 at 18:51
I just voted for The Wall (I am finally able to vote in these polls! yay). 

While I love Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Meddle, DSOTM, Wish, Animals...etc to death, and on any given day I might prefer to listen to those, I really think that The Wall is a singular achievement in the history of music that has to this day never been matched (in terms of the cohesion, weight and depth of its concept and message).

Date Posted: January 30 2018 at 22:23
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

I just voted for The Wall (I am finally able to vote in these polls! yay). 

While I love Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Meddle, DSOTM, Wish, Animals...etc to death, and on any given day I might prefer to listen to those, I really think that The Wall is a singular achievement in the history of music that has to this day never been matched (in terms of the cohesion, weight and depth of its concept and message).
Really great the Wall finally got itīs first vote! I think also it really deserved much more than many other Floyd albums!

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 03 2018 at 21:53
Umma Gumma > Meddle > Wish You Were Here > Saucerful of Secrets > Animals > Dark Side of the Moon > Atom Heart Mother > Momentary Lapse of Reason > Piper at the Gates of Dawn > The Wall

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 01:30
What about Dramatisation, Germination, Cambridge Station, Obfuscation, Deviation, Reverberation and Continuation? Unless kicking over the same old ground is enough? Umpteen hours of new old Floyd, someone must be interested.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 02:19
WYWH > Animals > Meddle > Dark Side >

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 02:24
First and only ...

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 04:18
I was torn between "Meddle" and "Ummagumma" (and perhaps "Atom Heart Mother"), and I chose "Meddle". and I like side one of "Meddle" just a much as side two, including the much hated "Seamus"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 04:27
^I like Seamus too, I donīt think itīs meant to taken seriously originally. Kind of light ending of the side. Also Madamoiselle Nobs in the Pompeii is really hearty.

I am a big acoustic Blues-fan, maybe thatīs also one explanation.

Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 22:04
^ I'm not really very fond of Seamus, but somehow Mademoisell Nobs bothers me less, and doesn't really bring down Live at Pompeii as Seamus does on Meddle.

Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 22:08
^no, Seamus doesnīt bring down Meddle. Itīs just a little snack before the great supper.

Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 22:13
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

What about Dramatisation, Germination, Cambridge Station, Obfuscation, Deviation, Reverberation and Continuation? Unless kicking over the same old ground is enough? Umpteen hours of new old Floyd, someone must be interested.

I have been listening to those new compilations, and even though they are really interesting, I wouldn't think they are greater than any of their real albums. Besides, I don't like the format they were released... first, Pink Floyd has always had outstanding covers and presentation (at least since they started working with Hypgnosis), while this ones have lame presentation and names. Also, I really think they are rather expensive given the amount of new material offered (though maybe I am biased because I had just got a few years earlier some available BBC recordings that were used on this sets... if I hadn't done so I would have loved to hear those recordings for the first time on this sets). However, I think they could rather have released a few new "lost" studio albums, (such as the Syd Barrett singles and unreleased songs making the format of a lost album, as well as the singles from early Gilmour songs... yeah, many of them have been released already, but not in a consistent and long enough format to make as an album), and perhaps a special edition of More with the extra new songs. And a release of a purley Pink Floyd album with all the music recorded by them for Zabriskie Poing. Plus a few live BBC albums and DVD's. Any of those at reasonable album prices and not over priced sets.

Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 22:14

^no, Seamus doesnīt bring down Meddle. Itīs just a little snack before the great supper.

Yeah well, I guess it's short enough to be inofensive, really, just like More Fool Me on Selling England by the Pound.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 02:16

I have been listening to those new compilations, and even though they are really interesting, I wouldn't think they are greater than any of their real albums. Besides, I don't like the format they were released... first, Pink Floyd has always had outstanding covers and presentation (at least since they started working with Hypgnosis), while this ones have lame presentation and names. Also, I really think they are rather expensive given the amount of new material offered (though maybe I am biased because I had just got a few years earlier some available BBC recordings that were used on this sets... if I hadn't done so I would have loved to hear those recordings for the first time on this sets). However, I think they could rather have released a few new "lost" studio albums, (such as the Syd Barrett singles and unreleased songs making the format of a lost album, as well as the singles from early Gilmour songs... yeah, many of them have been released already, but not in a consistent and long enough format to make as an album), and perhaps a special edition of More with the extra new songs. And a release of a purley Pink Floyd album with all the music recorded by them for Zabriskie Poing. Plus a few live BBC albums and DVD's. Any of those at reasonable album prices and not over priced sets.

All true. Yes they are expensive (or it is expensive). Yes they have been out there, I know I've got the whole lot (well, a lot) in bootleg form.

However covers, price not withstanding - given that t all works out at about 20 something CDs (I extract the audio as my blu ray and stereo seem incompatible and I prefer listening to watching) brings it down to merely prohibitively expensive.

I don't know about too much archive studio albums waiting to never be unearthed but  what they did release is all wonderful. Unedited Set The Controls (unlike Ummagumma's which could have been released as the original unfaded version. Alas those who actually want vinyl will have to endure the short version.Including c. disc listeners.

I hope this lot gets released in a way that people can actually buy 'em, write about how disappointed they are Sl*g the lot off, listen to them, think about it and make polls about them. It's a lot to absorb even for those who have boots of them so there is a alot to look forward to.

The accidental release of the Pompeii soundtrack was one amusing moment. Couldn't tell too much about the remix of Obscured. But it's good to have the movies at long last. All those BBC Sessions as well.

Sigh. It's my favourite PF era.

One of these days the box set should be cut into little pieces so people can get it and argue and we can progress as usual.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 02:57
........after 4000 pages, it’s always gonna be whatever it is !!!
For me, the Floyd magic period is between ‘68 - ‘73, with Piper being really something, too.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 03:12
The Embryo, Libest Spacement Monitor, One Of These Days and the Best of Tour 72 from Swingin Pig are all really great bootlegs. Really love also early versions of Dogs & Sheep. As many not-fans thinks, Pink Floyd really didnīt play their stuff same way in the live 60-70ties and that makes those great quality bootlegs very interesting.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 03:19
^
Love their ability to just chop-and-change their compositions in the live setting. As much as they suck (not all of them ) early Floyd boots are f**king priceless.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 04:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^
Love their ability to just chop-and-change their compositions in the live setting. As much as they suck (not all of them ) early Floyd boots are f**king priceless.
Well, I have got three of those Swingin Pig booties I mentioned and I havenīt paid them much. 20-30 euros of each. Also what is great the cover quality of Swingin Pig is just excellent.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 22:13
Actually the different parts of the set are available separatley in the store I visit frequently, and they have lowered the price (between 32 and 35 dollars each, depending on what exchange rate I consider). That's the way I got them... and ended up getting them all, though I was tempted to leave out the last two (well, those last two were given to me for Christmas, so I didn't have to make up my mind about buying them or not). Though this way I did miss a few of the material, like the movies, and the last extra set of bonus.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 23:07
To me this poll seems to show quite honest picture of the taste of Floyd fans. Naturally I would have like to see the Wall and Saucerful get more votes, because they belong into my great Floyd albums more than for example Wish You Were Here, but I quess that is just the way it is.

Date Posted: February 09 2018 at 02:13
It might be better to find a good ROIO torrenting site and get yer stacks of Floyd there. You expend band width rather than cash. And you get some awesome PF recordings usually done by people who really care rather than bootleggers looking to make a little killing.

The Montreux 70 and 71 sets (only Atom Heart Mother from the 1970 show is on the box set) are absolutely essential.

Date Posted: February 09 2018 at 22:27
That sounds like an interesting idea, but I wouldn't know how to find a trustworthy torrent site. And I don't think this forum is the best place to discuss such things without getting into trouble.

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 07:57

Seamus and SanTropez are little bits of fun on Meddle. Pillow of Winds and Fearless are a bit of a letdown on that album. Of course Echoes and One of These Days more than make up for it.

Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 08:17
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Curious to see DSOTM keeps getting (much deserved) anonymous votes - no one wants to acknowledge out in the open the obvious choice of the silent masses, why is that so?

Been on a serious PF kick lately. Saucerful was playing yesterday. My fav is Dark Side. It's got everything. The music enhances the lyrics. The sound is incredible. The interplay between Wright and Gilmour is stunning. For years i thought WYWH and DSOTM as 1/1a. But lately I have to go with Dark Side

Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 08:25

I have 1969, 1970 and 1972. Worth the price of admission. Live at Pompeii on cd is incredible by having it all in one place and Echoes put together instead of how its on the movie. I think that disc would have gotten some votes by itself.   

So happy that these disks were released and especially when they broke it down into the separate releases. Not interested that much into the pre and Syd era, although of course there are some interesting things from the Early Years box set that I would like to have.

Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 21:47
^ I thought the most interesting one was exactly the Syd era one, since that one has the 65 songs that have never been released before. Though the one with "The Man and the Journey" is great indeed. And finally having that version of "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" from Pompeii on CD is great too.

Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:16
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Seamus and SanTropez are little bits of fun on Meddle. Pillow of Winds and Fearless are a bit of a letdown on that album. Of course Echoes and One of These Days more than make up for it.
I really love Pillow Of Winds! I think One of these, Pillow and Echoes are absolutely excellent, the rest is ok. But anyway those three songs make me that, Atom heart is my favourite because I think there just arenīt any weak moment in Atom heart.

Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:21
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Been on a serious PF kick lately. Saucerful was playing yesterday. My fav is Dark Side. It's got everything. The music enhances the lyrics. The sound is incredible. The interplay between Wright and Gilmour is stunning. For years i thought WYWH and DSOTM as 1/1a. But lately I have to go with Dark Side
When I started to listen Floyd, Dark side was also my favourite long time. I wasnīt very excited about their 1967-1970 era at first, but then started to love it even more than their 1973> era. One reason why Atom Heart is my favourite, that there is something from both, some psychedelic and also some later kind of stuff.

I believe Floyd will stay my big favourites rest of my life, because I have now listened them over 30 years and not ever get bored to them. Of course not now listen them as much as I have listened.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 06:26
Animals

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk