Print Page | Close Window

Yes songs

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112690
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 19:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes songs
Posted By: condor
Subject: Yes songs
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 03:05
Is Owner of a Lonely Heart any more pop than I've Seen All Good People?

Replies:
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 03:08
Great idea for a thread

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 03:11
I think it is, but I can see where you're coming from.

ISAGP (IIRC) doesn't quite fit the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle bit/chorus to fade pop format that OOALH does.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 03:15
Yes.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 05:03
Yes, given that it's far more likely to be played on the radio and has had some remixes done.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 05:08
OOALH is more pop than most pop.....so obviously YES

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 10:54
Is Tonight, Tonight, Tonight anymore pop than Return of the Giant Hogweed?

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 12:00
YesWest peaked early, but 75% of 90125 is a fine album. It doesn't have to be prog, and it's not trying to be.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 12:08
Owner is a fairly straight forward pop rock song with some slick production. All Good People is a longer piece with two distinctly different sections. It's certainly not the most prog rock thing Yes ever did, it's much less pop then OOALH.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 22:48
Quite different instrumentation..."All Good People" actually uses genuine recorders (the wind instruments) played by guest Colin Goldring; guitarra portuguesa, or Portuguese guitar, played by Howe; and old-fashioned Hammond organ vs. synth.  I don't think "All Good People" really fits the definition of "pop" as we use it on PA.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 18 2018 at 23:21
I´ve seen all good people owner of a lonely heart really much better than owner of a broken heart.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 19 2018 at 00:04
Yes. A better question would be is it any more pop than "wonderous stories?"

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 19 2018 at 04:09
Seriously I think one reason, why Yes became so popular, is that they´ve always added great pop vocal melodies into their prog. In their two first albums they made great versions from some great that time pop tunes for example from Beatles and Buffalo Springfield. I think one reason why I started to love prog is when I heard first time great melodies of Yours is no Disgrace. Roundabout is another great example. Between Close to the Edge and Relayer were their most prog time, but they came back to more pop direction in Going For the One (tittle song, also Don´t Kill the Whale in Tormato). So to me 90125 has never been any "they sold their souls to AOR"-album. I still think Yes, Genesis & Caravan eighties albums sounds a lot better than many other old prog band albums of that time.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 20 2018 at 01:31
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Seriously I think one reason, why Yes became so popular, is that they´ve always added great pop vocal melodies into their prog. In their two first albums they made great versions from some great that time pop tunes for example from Beatles and Buffalo Springfield. I think one reason why I started to love prog is when I heard first time great melodies of Yours is no Disgrace. Roundabout is another great example. Between Close to the Edge and Relayer were their most prog time, but they came back to more pop direction in Going For the One (tittle song, also Don´t Kill the Whale in Tormato). So to me 90125 has never been any "they sold their souls to AOR"-album. I still think Yes, Genesis & Caravan eighties albums sounds a lot better than many other old prog band albums of that time.

It's a good point and also the reason why Relayer just didn't quite 'take' when it came out. They returned to the winning formula on GFTO. Yes have always been on the friendly side of prog and Jon Anderson must be the most unthreatening person everSmile

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 20 2018 at 18:57
I have no idea but there must surely be something in the water in Norwich.

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: January 21 2018 at 13:17
If you think Owner of a Lonely Heart is poppy, you should listen to Trevor Rabin's original version! (starts 1:30 in, after an acoustic demo)

I would say OoaLH definitely sounds more like it was written to be a hit pop tune; much easier to sing the chorus than trying to keep up with "Cause it's time it's time in time with your time" etc... how many times do we sing time again? And what is "I've seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way" supposed to mean, and how come they sing it on loop for 3 minutes straight? I think the average person can understand "Owner of a lonely heart, much better than an owner of a broken heart" a lot better.

While I've Seen All Good People is certainly catchy and fairly straightforward for a Yes song (plus each of the movements could stand on their own and be a nice length for radio play), it just doesn't sound as designed for radio as Lonely Heart.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 22 2018 at 14:55
Stop. Just stop.

Date Posted: January 22 2018 at 17:14
^Sweet demo, never heard that one!

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: January 22 2018 at 17:18
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Owner is a fairly straight forward pop rock song with some slick production. All Good People is a longer piece with two distinctly different sections. It's certainly not the most prog rock thing Yes ever did, it's much less pop then OOALH.

I agree.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 21:20
And I see we returned to discuss Yes, while leaving the TTT/ROTGH Genesis comparison alone. Perhaps because that it will ultimately devolve into an '80's Genesis bashing?

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 01:55
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

neither are pop songs if you ask me, if I played them to people that listen to pop music, they wouldn't stand for it. 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 21:20
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

neither are pop songs if you ask me, if I played them to people that listen to pop music, they wouldn't stand for it. 

There are some around here that say that Close to the Edge is a pop song. And they seem to be very serious about it, not just fooling around.

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 02:28
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

There are some around here that say that Close to the Edge is a pop song. And they seem to be very serious about it, not just fooling around.

I have heard such discussions, and it's hard to un-see it IMHO. I still get them by arguing over the seemingly-free form jazz intro, though.

I'd say Owner of a Lonely Heart qualifies as pop rock at least.

-------------

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 11:26
I thought the argument was that CttE was just a very expanded version of a typical pop-song structure... but they've obviously done some very non-pop things in order to make it interesting. So much so, that it's definitely not a pop song... if all you had to do was write a very long pop song to get on PA, then Arlo Guthrie would be here too.

In the context of 80s music, Owner Of A Lonely Heart is quite pop, and in the context of early 70s music, I've Seen All Good People is like 2 pop songs in a row (or at least an accessible folky song, followed by an accessible rock song). In the context of today's music, maybe not so if that's what Cristi had in mind.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 15:27

Oh...that's just Mick having some fun after a few beers.

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 21:36
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Oh...that's just Mick having some fun after a few beers.

;)

Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 02:21
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I thought the argument was that CttE was just a very expanded version of a typical pop-song structure... but they've obviously done some very non-pop things in order to make it interesting. So much so, that it's definitely not a pop song... if all you had to do was write a very long pop song to get on PA, then Arlo Guthrie would be here too.

In the context of 80s music, Owner Of A Lonely Heart is quite pop, and in the context of early 70s music, I've Seen All Good People is like 2 pop songs in a row (or at least an accessible folky song, followed by an accessible rock song). In the context of today's music, maybe not so if that's what Cristi had in mind.

It sounds like a pop sound, but isn't a pop song...

...In the exact same way I've been told that "sounds jazzy" and "is actually jazz" are two different things Cool

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk