Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 04:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Passion vs Topographics vs Lamb
Posted By: thief
Subject: Passion vs Topographics vs Lamb
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 16:41
I find it fascinating how much aforementioned albums have in common:

- all were released in 1973/74, progressive rock era at its zenith;
- all follow up consensual best albums from these bands (Thick As a Brick; Close to the Edge; Selling England by the Pound);
- all of them should be considered concept albums. Those were probably the most ambitious attempts from given bands (on top of that, 2/3 are double LPs!);
- all of them are more or less controversial: they divide both fans and critics and you'll find hundred different opinions on their quality.

Please pick the one you consider "the best" as a progressive rock achievement. Opinions and discussion are really welcome :)

Replies:
Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 16:48
First vote for 'Lamb'.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 16:51
First vote for Topo

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 17:03
I love all 3 about equally, but as far as choosing which is, "the best as a progressive rock achievement", I'd have to go with Tales.  Back in the vinyl days of 1973, a double album with only 4 songs was an unbelievably ambitious project and represented the best (or according to most critics) the worst boundary pushing rock had to offer.  Besides that, to choose Eastern philosophy as your concept album subject matter was yet another reason why Tales was in a class of it's own.  When I wanted to blow my Led Zep fan friends minds I'd tell them...you think Stairway is a long song?  I've got this double Yes album with only 4 songs!  

Now, if I were to include the accompanying tour that supported the album, I'd have to seriously consider voting for The Lamb instead as that was about an equally incredible achievement Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 17:14
There was a hush along the Fulham Road...

Definitely, particularly with the release of A Passion Play - Extended Performance. Throwing in the great Skating Away and Solitaire certainly outweighs the half of Lamb that's any good.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 17:14
There was a rush
Along the Fulham Road
There was a hush in the Passion Plaaayyy

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 17:15
In the order presented. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 17:20
Voted for Lamb. I love Tales, and obviously Yes.. but not more than The Lamb, no. 

Don't know Jethro Tull except the songs I've heard on classic rock radio.  

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 17:47
Tales by a pretentious hair---LOL

But depending on my mood The Lamb is right up there as numero uno.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 18:38
Topographic Oceans all the way.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 18:45
Tales

-------------

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 19:35
Genesis.

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 19:38
hmmmm... oh that is easy man

Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

Genesis.

sucks
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Tales

rules.....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 21:03
^ Yessir! Clap

Admittedly there are a couple of tracks I enjoy on The Lamb but Tales just absolutely smokes the competition here.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 22:10
I’m going with Topographic. Still one of my top 5 albums, ever !!
Passion Play is superb, I love John Evan’s use of the ARP Synth, and occasional Gentle Giant-isms. And The Hare Who Lost his Spectacles, of course.
Lamb is great, but quite a few albums down the Genesis list for me.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 23:06
It was a big battle between Lamb and Passion in my mind. Lamb won. If there had been Thick, it really would be my choise.

Really wonder the love of Topograhic here. I would understand it, if they had put out it only one album lenght (the first album).

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 02:16
The Lamb two stars ahead of what comes next.

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 02:29
The Lamb is far from perfect, but it thrashes the other two into a cocked hat.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 03:13
The Lamb by Far.

TFTO could have been condesned into one killer album, giving CTTE and Relayer a good run for their money, but ended up at least 30% filler, and APP although very good is simply not AS good as The Lamb IMO.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 03:53
I'm genuinely surprised to see Tales is ahead.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 04:14
Tales over Lamb by a short head.

Although Lamb does have Carpet Crawlers.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 08:29
The Lamb...

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 08:55
Went with Lamb on this one.
 Topographic Oceans was kind of hit & miss for me & I need to check out Passion Play again.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 09:45
Tales and The Lamb are my two favorite albums ever!!!

1. Tales From Topographic Oceans
2. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

So yeah, I voted for Yes.

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 10:21
Yes

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 10:45
toss up between Tull and Genesis for me

not a Tales fan

voted  Lamb

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 11:41
Three great albums. A Passion Play takes my vote.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:53
Topo drags on and on

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 12:54
This site is really a Yes fan club lol. Tull Crap on them

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 13:50
Definitely The Lamb!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 15:02
All 3 albums are overwrought and over thought......but still 3 great bands......and all 3 lp's are pretentious as someone already mentioned above.
Chose Lamb simply because in my mind it has a nice variety of things going on.....while PP and TFTO are simply exercises in how far Tull and Yes wanted to take their music before they pissed off their fans.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 18:47
My vote for Tull here as well. And again I'm not surprised they're losing.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 19:28
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Yeah this is the Yes and Genesis fan club after all lol.
Not sure why we are comparing 1974 and 73 Genesis to 1973 and 72 Tull and Yes though.

-------------

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 19:43
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Yeah this is the Yes and Genesis fan club after all lol

Well I've got the right username then. :)

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 22:08
Tales from Topographic Oceans may be overlong, and the only song I really love on the album is The Revealing Science of God... but that one is better than anything on the other two albums for me... so Tales.

Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 22:58
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Tales from Topographic Oceans may be overlong, and the only song I really love on the album is The Revealing Science of God... but that one is better than anything on the other two albums for me... so Tales.
What? Have you listened enough Passion & Lamb? I think theyīre both really great, to me Lamb is the greatest album by Genesis.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 23:13
I'm with the minority here.

Lamb is good. Not an automatic rotation album, but in the upper 50 percentile of my collection.

A Passion Play is my favorite Tull and probably in my top 10 of the classic era.

Tales I find absolutely dreadful at this point, except for the artwork.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: February 07 2018 at 23:26
I think as a whole, A Passion Play is the best. To me, it doesn't really feel like there are any particularly weak/wasted moments (I'm sure many would disagree), plus the concept is a lot more coherent (TFTO is just typical Yes mumbo-jumbo, and The Lamb is kind of all over the place). Granted, it has the advantage that it's half as long as the other two.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Date Posted: February 08 2018 at 05:27
So it's not that easy.

Admittedly, A Passion Play remains a somewhat uncharted territory for me. Well, I gave it a dozen spins last couple of years, but perhaps it isn't enough to truly understand and catch what's going on there. Or is it? I remember it was always the least listened-to and talked-about Jethro album in our house, my father felt rather indifferent about it. I can see why: musical passages are often quirky, hard to follow, and some of them rather "unmelodic". There are strong sections for sure, like Memory Bank, Overseer Overture or refreshing Magus Perde... I adore Forest Dance, especially how it comes back to life after Spectacles Story. The main theme of "Fulham Road" is always catchy, I really enjoy The Silver Cord where it's introduced for the first time. I could think of more highlights, but in the end it's no more than 50% of running time. What about the other half? As I said, it's not outright bad, but it doesn't sit very well with me, definitely Thick As a Brick has a much better flow.

Tales from Topographic Oceans is such an ambitious project, I really WISH I loved this album. Such a broad scope, monolithic album cover, the title itself promises such a deep and unparalleled musical adventure... Yet it has its flows. Most of the tracks are a tad too long - I believe Rick Wakeman that the band stretched it out to fill 2 LPs, you can definitely hear some plodding here and there. Compositions aren't as tight and focused as Close to the Edge or Relayer ones. The exception is The Revealing Science of God, which I consider a truly moving masterpiece, almost on par with greatest Yes songs, engaging listener all the way through. The rest have some drawbacks, unfortunately - I tend to lose interest at times. I might change my opinion in the future after another hundred listens... because I'd love to buy the hype, for real.

I think that The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is the easiest to get into and probably the most enjoyable. Although it's much longer than other two, it consists mostly of short compositions, most of them having their own identity, breathing their own life. Of course it also suffers from missteps and some plain, unmemorable moments (I'm not entirely sold on In the Cage or The Colony of Slippermen), but majority of the album is a pure WIN. Those ~5 min songs strike home consistently, be it the opening track, Back in N.Y.C., Carpet Crawlers or The Waiting Room. The Lamia is definitely the greatest piece here, equal to anything that came before (perhaps the only song reaching those heights). I love closing ~15 minutes of the album, entire run between Ravine and It - very emotional and uplifting. So yes, I consider Lamb the best of the three, although it's not my favorite Genesis effort - I prefer Dickensian atmosphere of past albums... not to mention their compositional superiority. 

All 3 deserve repeated listens.

Date Posted: February 08 2018 at 12:41
I trimmed the Lamb down to a single album. Some tracks don't interest me much. Some of the vocals are unbearable. Back in NYC sucks lol. The title song and It start well then the horrible vocals ruin them

Slipper, Cage, Anyway are definitely the best tracks. Scree, Lamia, Lifeless, Cuckoo, Chamber, Supernatural are other good ones

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 08 2018 at 12:58
The Lamb is the best album ever. Nothing beats the Lamb. I give it 6 stars out of 5. Side three is the best of the four sides.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 08 2018 at 15:37
Yes  wins ; I like Genesis and J Tull but not of these albums !!!

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: February 08 2018 at 16:15
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

Date Posted: February 08 2018 at 21:45
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

What? Have you listened enough Passion & Lamb? I think theyīre both really great, to me Lamb is the greatest album by Genesis.

Actually, I must admit I have barely heard A Passion Play, but of the few times I did, I didn't find it so great, nor did I find any hooks to make me want to listen to it again and give it another chance... but I do know that might be a mistake and I should give it more listens... still I haven't bought it yet, so I guess I'll get to it later. The Lamb really doesn't do much for me, I think it was a step or two down from their previous albums, they just lost the touch and the atmosphere and so on... going mostly into shorter songs... just like Pink Floyd with The Wall (though I like The Wall much better than The Lamb).

Date Posted: February 08 2018 at 22:34
^Both albums grow me really slow, but when they hit, they hit really hard! I really remembered when bought a Passion Play after listened Thick As a Brick, Aqualung, Benefit, Stand Up, This Was, Warchild and Songs From the Wood and they all have hit almost immediately. Naturally expected a Passion Play be as great, but I think because itīs much more darker than Thick as a Brick, I just didnīt get into it at first. But now itīs really one of the greatest Tull albums to me. Also one thing noticed my first version was eighties re-issue, many years later bought the original and it has really much greater sounds! 

Also Lamb was the first Genesis album to me, I think I was 11 years then, the tittle song hit me immediately, but really not the whole album. But I kept on listening it and some years ago after that it hit really hard! I think Genesis were quote revolutionary that time, when Yes had just done overlong Topograph (I think that album is one reason to proghaters) they decided to put out concept double with short songs. All that really works me, really like also that a little bit paranoidic atmosphere and sounds in the album.

Date Posted: February 09 2018 at 00:48
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I trimmed the Lamb down to a single album. Some tracks don't interest me much. Some of the vocals are unbearable. Back in NYC sucks lol. The title song and It start well then the horrible vocals ruin them

Slipper, Cage, Anyway are definitely the best tracks. Scree, Lamia, Lifeless, Cuckoo, Chamber, Supernatural are other good ones

Hah, different strokes for different folks. I guess Gabriel's vocals don't bother me that much :)

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 09 2018 at 10:54
Tales

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: February 09 2018 at 12:51
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

There was a hush along the Fulham Road...

Definitely, particularly with the release of A Passion Play - Extended Performance. Throwing in the great Skating Away and Solitaire certainly outweighs the half of Lamb that's any good.

The new sounds to be heard over the album, the extension to foot of the stairs and the great sound improvement to Big top, Left right and Audition make this release 25% better now

-------------

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: February 09 2018 at 15:10
Yes, then Genesis

Date Posted: February 09 2018 at 22:18

^Both albums grow me really slow, but when they hit, they hit really hard! I really remembered when bought a Passion Play after listened Thick As a Brick, Aqualung, Benefit, Stand Up, This Was, Warchild and Songs From the Wood and they all have hit almost immediately. Naturally expected a Passion Play be as great, but I think because itīs much more darker than Thick as a Brick, I just didnīt get into it at first. But now itīs really one of the greatest Tull albums to me. Also one thing noticed my first version was eighties re-issue, many years later bought the original and it has really much greater sounds! 

Also Lamb was the first Genesis album to me, I think I was 11 years then, the tittle song hit me immediately, but really not the whole album. But I kept on listening it and some years ago after that it hit really hard! I think Genesis were quote revolutionary that time, when Yes had just done overlong Topograph (I think that album is one reason to proghaters) they decided to put out concept double with short songs. All that really works me, really like also that a little bit paranoidic atmosphere and sounds in the album.

For me Tales is the one I keep expecting to end up hitting me hard. I really only love Revealing Science of God, the rest is patchy at best... enjoyable, but I don't really love it (at some points, perhaps not even enjoyable). But I still believe that is an album greater than just a rock (or even prog) album, something more... but still, I can't come to love it. When discussions about it appear around here, sometimes I'll get curious and put it on again... and yes, sitting or laying down and listening the the whole of it in one go really helps to enjoy it much better, but in the end I think Yes has much better songs... at least in a more traditional rock / prog sense.

Date Posted: February 09 2018 at 22:40

For me Tales is the one I keep expecting to end up hitting me hard. I really only love Revealing Science of God, the rest is patchy at best... enjoyable, but I don't really love it (at some points, perhaps not even enjoyable). But I still believe that is an album greater than just a rock (or even prog) album, something more... but still, I can't come to love it. When discussions about it appear around here, sometimes I'll get curious and put it on again... and yes, sitting or laying down and listening the the whole of it in one go really helps to enjoy it much better, but in the end I think Yes has much better songs... at least in a more traditional rock / prog sense.
I really love the Remembering too. It would be dynamite album with those two songs. On the other hand hard to think it that way when knowing itīs a double, I always listen it as whole (but not listen it often). Really shame there isnīt any live versions of Remembering, they played it only about half year after released the album, then never played it again.

Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 02:30

I really love the Remembering too. It would be dynamite album with those two songs. On the other hand hard to think it that way when knowing itīs a double, I always listen it as whole (but not listen it often). Really shame there isnīt any live versions of Remembering, they played it only about half year after released the album, then never played it again.

For what it's worth, even after the first couple time of listening to Tales, it stuck with me. I remember "breaking in" that record on long stretches of road between towns/band rehearsals. The way those absolutely perfect 70's synths hit during the intro to "The Revealing Science of God" is burned into my soul. I've never felt the album was too long. Perhaps I'm just predisposed for unconventional stuff, and thus why Yes really clicks with me.

-------------

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 11:31
Well, these three right here are my top 3 prog albums of all time XD

I'll give the vote to A Passion Play, since it's the most underrated of the bunch and it will get less votes.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 21:39
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

For what it's worth, even after the first couple time of listening to Tales, it stuck with me. I remember "breaking in" that record on long stretches of road between towns/band rehearsals. The way those absolutely perfect 70's synths hit during the intro to "The Revealing Science of God" is burned into my soul. I've never felt the album was too long. Perhaps I'm just predisposed for unconventional stuff, and thus why Yes really clicks with me.

I guess we are all at least a little bit predisposed to unconventional stuff, otherwise why are we at a prog forum willing, and even eager, to find new unconventional stuff. The thing is how unconventional we like our music, and which kinds of unconventional each one of us likes.

Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 22:10
We need some Tull fans in this GeneYes fan club. Tales of boring oceans should be last LOL

-------------

Posted By: Braka
Date Posted: February 14 2018 at 13:59
I voted for 'Lamb', but FWIW I consider all of these albums to be from bands after they peaked - albeit narrowly, in every case.

Date Posted: February 14 2018 at 22:37

I guess we are all at least a little bit predisposed to unconventional stuff, otherwise why are we at a prog forum willing, and even eager, to find new unconventional stuff. The thing is how unconventional we like our music, and which kinds of unconventional each one of us likes.
I really started to go into unconventional stuff when started to listen prog in my early teens. I have two elder brothers who really havenīt ever been in prog. Before my progperiod I listen same music as they (southern rock, Country, Blues, old Rīn`R). But after prog hit me, I have really wanted to search the odd ways in the music. Over ten years ago I even started to like really experimental & avantgarde stuff. But In Tales I just think they havenīt got enough ideas to whole double. To me it sounds they`ve added to much ideas in Revealing (yes, I am thinking too itīs great) and then havenīt got enough ideas to second album. But, some odd reason, when I am in certain mood, the whole album works really well to me. It has happened only twice, second time was last time I listened it.

Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 02:19

Yes, of course; I thought that was implied but perhaps I didn't articulate enough. There's a clear divide between the "types of weird" people enjoy here, that's for sure Cool

Tales is/was unconventional for the time due to its sheer volume of music. It was a herculean task at first listen!

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 05:23
Went with the hare today, but it's really a tie between the lamb and it. My fave studio Tull album together with Stand Up.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 05:28
^ I love Stand Up, I thought I was the only one who had this album as a favorite :)

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 05:36
Nahh you are definitely not the only one. I know two other guys, in real life no less, who feel the same. It is just such a wonderful album and actually very diverse sounding. Highlights for me are 1) the drums!!! Monsieur Bunker is the best drummer they ever had imo 2) thrilling emotional guitar solos like fx the one found on We Used To Know 3) those wonderful extended rhythmic breaks they spice up the songs with - perhaps most noticeably in the ending minutes of Back To The Family. Brilliance.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 08:01
At first I was really disappointed to Stand Up. Great Finnish reviewer Jake Nyman said in Rock book that many thinks itīs the best Jethro-album. So my expectations were really high, when I was heard before it Thick as a Brick, Aqualung and Benefit. But after many listenings it become one of my Jethro favourites! itīs not just so prog, but has really great songs!

About drumming, Bunker is ok, but Barriemore is my man!

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 08:46
Lamb Lies by far for me...

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 13:33

I really started to go into unconventional stuff when started to listen prog in my early teens. I have two elder brothers who really havenīt ever been in prog. Before my progperiod I listen same music as they (southern rock, Country, Blues, old Rīn`R). But after prog hit me, I have really wanted to search the odd ways in the music. Over ten years ago I even started to like really experimental & avantgarde stuff. But In Tales I just think they havenīt got enough ideas to whole double. To me it sounds they`ve added to much ideas in Revealing (yes, I am thinking too itīs great) and then havenīt got enough ideas to second album. But, some odd reason, when I am in certain mood, the whole album works really well to me. It has happened only twice, second time was last time I listened it.

There was a time after I got into prog that I could hardly listen to more conventional pop or rock (or even metal) without getting bored and loosing my patience. I have come around and listen, or even enjoy, such things... as long as I consider the music good. But still I need to listen to prog and unconventional stuff in a regular basis. As for Revealing, that one is my favourite... actually almost the only song I really like on Tales... but I do feel, as you say, that they added too much to it... a few less changes of pace or melodies or whatever might have done some good to the song.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 15:54
Lamb lies etc. > A Passion Play >>>> Tales from etc.

'Tales' is one of the Yes albums I do not like so much. There are at least 5 Yes albums I like more.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 21:34
Referring back to the Tull comments above.......Stand Up and Benefit are  and have always been my favorite Tull albums (throw in Agualung too)....they are Tull being Tull. .....whatever the f**k that means.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: February 16 2018 at 09:26
Dull

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 16 2018 at 11:21
Had to go with 'Play. Not an wasted note; an effort that reportedly was done in relatively little time after the band had to shelve another problematic one they'd originally intended to release. Brilliant in all regards. The others seem a little overblown in both concept and execution. Both came with stories that not all participants were on board for the proceedings. They drag in places. Their popularity is questionable.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: February 16 2018 at 13:40
^I think you talk albout Chateu D`isaster Tapes. They used very much of itīs material in a Passion Play, but of course those that are in 20 Years of Jethro Tull-box are really great and not in a Passion Play.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk