Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11308
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 01:28
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: opeth decadence
Posted By: sabian
Subject: opeth decadence
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 10:36

First of all, i would like to wonder if Opeth are a really prog band. I think that they have such elements in their music in order to admit their progressiveness, but the discussion field could remain open, as well, because i sill see them as a death metal band more than a prog band.

Anyway, i would like to comment that opeth have ceased to be in their last album, which i do find it completely boring, and which it shows a full lack of inspiration. In my personal opinion, it seems that they have abandoned their absolutely great style of playing metal (i think they have been the best metal band in the last 15 years) in order to put a lot of "dream theater" elements in their music that... doesn't suit them. I am not against style evolution and those things, but my impression about opeht's new release is that they've lost their "surpriseness" and "freshness", if we compare "Ghost reveries" with any of their predecesors...

I comment all this because i have only seen excellent reviews about their last album here, and the question is that i am afraid that it is their worst work ever.

Replies:
Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 10:41

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion ... but apparently most people think it's their best album, and I'm one of them.

I can hear absolutely NO Dream Theater elements in Ghost Reveries ... some Tool, some Dead Soul Tribe maybe ... but definitely no Dream Theater.

Why don't you write a review? Or maybe you should give it some more time ... I don't know how long you've been listening to the album.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 15:32
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion ... but apparently most people think it's their best album, and I'm one of them.

I can hear absolutely NO Dream Theater elements in Ghost Reveries ... some Tool, some Dead Soul Tribe maybe ... but definitely no Dream Theater.

Why don't you write a review? Or maybe you should give it some more time ... I don't know how long you've been listening to the album.

Well said, Mike. How is Opeth not a Progressive Metal band?

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 15:42
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

After hearing all the hype about these guys, what would you say is a good album to start on, King of Loss? I'm becoming.....interested in them.

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 16:35
Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

After hearing all the hype about these guys, what would you say is a good album to start on, King of Loss? I'm becoming.....interested in them.

Ya like extreme metal or art rock? Try Damnation & Blackwater Park (pond) maybe...

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: Ty1020
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 16:43
I diagree completely, actually... I think Ghost Reveries is much more original and fresh than most of their more recent material. The songwriting is miles ahead of what they've been doing recently, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I love BWP and Damnation (although Deliverance, I could live without), but in terms of original songwriting, I like Ghost Reveries a lot more and find it to be much more progressive.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Ty1020/">

Posted By: GFoyle
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 17:45
Ghost Reveries went straight to the top of the list of my favorite Opeth
albums. I really like that it is a bit more varied that their previous releases.

Posted By: SomethingGood
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 17:47
Originally posted by sabian sabian wrote:

First of all, i would like to wonder if Opeth are a really prog band. I think that they have such elements in their music in order to admit their progressiveness, but the discussion field could remain open, as well, because i sill see them as a death metal band more than a prog band.

Anyway, i would like to comment that opeth have ceased to be in their last album, which i do find it completely boring, and which it shows a full lack of inspiration. In my personal opinion, it seems that they have abandoned their absolutely great style of playing metal (i think they have been the best metal band in the last 15 years) in order to put a lot of "dream theater" elements in their music that... doesn't suit them. I am not against style evolution and those things, but my impression about opeht's new release is that they've lost their "surpriseness" and "freshness", if we compare "Ghost reveries" with any of their predecesors...

I comment all this because i have only seen excellent reviews about their last album here, and the question is that i am afraid that it is their worst work ever.

you're wrong. about everything.

opeth are a prog band.
ghost reveries isn't boring.
ghost reveries shows bucketloads of inspiration.
opeth haven't abandoned their stlyle of playing metal, they've just added to it and hugely improved it.
i dont hear any dream theater.
ghost reveries surprised me, because it was completely fresh; i was expecting opeth to become more mainstream, they haven't.
ghost reveries deserves the high reviews, it's their best work to date.

usually i try to respect other people's opinions when i post, but i truly believe that every point you made was completely wrong. sorry.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/somethinggood/">
Click the image. CLICK IT!!!

Posted By: Man Overboard
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 17:54
Originally posted by SomethingGood SomethingGood wrote:

you're wrong. about everything.

opeth are a prog band.
ghost reveries isn't boring.
ghost reveries shows bucketloads of inspiration.
opeth haven't abandoned their stlyle of playing metal, they've just added to it and hugely improved it.
i dont hear any dream theater.
ghost reveries surprised me, because it was completely fresh; i was expecting opeth to become more mainstream, they haven't.
ghost reveries deserves the high reviews, it's their best work to date.

usually i try to respect other people's opinions when i post, but i truly believe that every point you made was completely wrong. sorry.

Completely agreed.  I think someone switched Sabian's copy of Ghost Reveries with Octavarium and didn't tell him.  It's the only logical conclusion, I don't think anyone could write the post he did from listening to Ghost Reveries, no one's *that* stupid.

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 17:54
Originally posted by Ed_The_Dead Ed_The_Dead wrote:

Ya like extreme metal or art rock? Try Damnation & Blackwater Park (pond) maybe...

Thanks.

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 18:09

Thanks.

Damnation is great art rocky Anathemisquie kinda music while Blackwater PArk is said 2 be their greatest album.. But WHy Don't You just buy Ghost Reveries.. It beats Blackwater Park IMO

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: R.Darkmoon
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 18:43

Thanks.

Damnation is great art rocky Anathemisquie kinda music while Blackwater PArk is said 2 be their greatest album.. But WHy Don't You just buy Ghost Reveries.. It beats Blackwater Park IMO

Indeed Opeth has evolved like crazy during all this years. Wonder if someday the inspiration will die..

-------------
I'm not antisocial, I just don't like wasting my breath...

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 18:53
I love Ghost Reveries BUT i like Blackwater Park more

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: R.Darkmoon
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 19:08
I think Blackwater Park is more catchy and it was my fav... but Ghost Reveries pwns! 

-------------
I'm not antisocial, I just don't like wasting my breath...

Posted By: Hawkeye
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 19:10

your opinion is balls

Posted By: Progslut
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:04

My definition of Opeth = progressive BLACK metal, not prog metal...

...But Opeth is a unique band - nothing sounds like Opeth...

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:06
Originally posted by Progslut Progslut wrote:

My definition of Opeth = progressive BLACK metal, not prog metal...

...But Opeth is a unique band - nothing sounds like Opeth...

they're more death than black

-------------

Posted By: Man Overboard
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:22
Agreed, Opeth had some SLIGHT black influence in the first two albums in the vocals, but that's *it*.

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:25

I meant Progressive DEATH, they say they are HEAVILY influenced by Morbid Angel (Death!)

Not much into DEATH/BLACK but I love OPETH

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 21:36

Can`t wait for the gig....19/9... Nine days....

Posted By: luke
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 22:20
I consider Opeth Progressive Death Metal, which of course would be a kind of prog. Another death metal band that has prog elements is Children of Bodom, who are known as "progressive melodic death metal" however the main prog stuff they have is the keyboard/guitar solos.

On the subject of prog metal bands, anyone heard into Internity? They have a number of different styles, but they have some prog in them!

Luke

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 22:31
Originally posted by luke luke wrote:

I consider Opeth Progressive Death Metal, which of course would be a kind of prog. Another death metal band that has prog elements is Children of Bodom, who are known as "progressive melodic death metal" however the main prog stuff they have is the keyboard/guitar solos.

What's progressive about CoB? I've listened to the band for years and have never once thought of them as being a prog band.

-------------

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 23:06

Thanks.

Just so you know that Damnation is a departure for Opeth.Steven Wilson produced Blackwater Park,Deliverance and Damnation and also contributes some vocals,guitars and mellotron and piano to those albums.Damnation shows a huge Wilson influence IMO.Very melodic and not a death metal growl to be found on the whole album.A very good album,just different from their others.

And to the topic creator,you are entitled to your opinion but I disagree with you.Ghost Reveries is the best thing Opeth have done and I think it is very progressive.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 05:14

I think you should try Blackwater Park. It's the best album to start with ... and then:

• If you really liked the "extreme" parts, explore their earlier albums - IMO Still Life is their best "tough" album.
  • If you didn't enjoy the extreme parts, try Damnation. Maybe you'll like that one immediately, and in time you might even enjoy their other albums.
  • If you miss keyboards, mellotrons etc., try Ghost Reveries.

But whatever album you choose ... most people who grow to like one of their albums eventually end up liking their entire discography.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 06:29

Well, although i have seen that my opinion seems to be the only one in this direction, i would like to say some things about:

I have been listening opeth since they released "Still Life" and i really LOVE their music. I do not have any favourite album because all of them are superb. And it is because of that that i have enjoyed them so much that i can't see any real progression in their music with "ghost reveries" album. But probably this impression is so personal and could be influenced by a huge personal factors that may be this opinion, from the beguinning, should not have been published here. I mean that it is a personal feeling on that could be related to many other factors.

I know thah Opeth plays progressive music, that's quite obvious. But i also think that "prog" is not a constant element in their style, such as in the case of symphony x, for instance. They go far beyond of that and i love it. This is what i meant when i fas talking about levaing the "debate field opened".

Well, i don't think it is easy to explain, but the "problem" that i find with "ghost reveries" is that i think opeth have introduced some "school-progressive" elements, elements that they only insinuated before, which have made a non-fresh album. i find that they already repeat themselves. The feeling that i had the 1st time i listened to it was some kind of... "ok, i know i've heard that before"  and i thought i was never going to think like that about opeth, who always had surprised me whith their new albums. With the last one, i haven't felt the same. As you see this is a very personal opinion, and i don't understand how can it be qualifed as "idiot", as i have seen (anyway i won't answer to those kind of "wise" interventions)

I have listened to the album and don't like it. I don't know really the reasons why. Maybe cannot be explained here, although i would be able to do it in an oral conversation... 

i've find it very curious that no one have noticed the same same as me in "ghost reveries", and i will think about it.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 07:04

^ The kind of "progression" you miss is not necessary for something to be called "progressive". It's surely nice if a band reinvent themselves with each album, but they don't have to.

I think that Ghost Reveries may not be THAT different from their previous albums, but they surely REFINED their sound and songwriting.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 07:47

i agree with you.

one of these days i will try to write a review of this album, if i am able to put down all what i think about it, and without leaving a complete mess of feelings and ideas, as i have done it in this forum.

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 08:26
I have all of the Opeth albums and am going to see them in Glasgow soon.Their recent album Ghost Reveries is fantastic and grows on you the more you here it.I'D recommend it and ask people to look beyond their death metal roots.

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: frenchie
Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 17:19
Opeth are as prog as they come and GR is an incredible album... best to worst scale...

BEST

- Blackwater Park
- My Arms Your Hearse
- Still Life
- Ghost Reveries
- Deliverance
- Damnation
- Morningrise
- Orchid

WORST

NB i think all albums are great and at least 4 stars and above each, just my order of preferance.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: Olympus
Date Posted: December 13 2005 at 19:49
I do think that Opeth are progressive, but they do seemed to have picked up some things from dream Theater. When Compared to Ayreon or Dream Theater they are Kind of progressive as far as metal goes.

-------------
"Let's get the hell away from this Eerie-ass piece of work so we can get on with the rest of our eerie-ass day"

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: December 13 2005 at 19:54
This may be a stupid question, but the only thing that keeps Opeth from being a band that I really like is the growing so, is there maybe an album where the growing is lets say, not that present?

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: December 13 2005 at 20:04

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

This may be a stupid question, but the only thing that keeps Opeth from being a band that I really like is the growing so, is there maybe an album where the growing is lets say, not that present?

You mean growling?

Yes, get Damnation, it has only clear vocals and it's not at all prog metal. It's light art rock with heavy Porcupine Tree influence (Steven Wilson even sings and plays on it). The whole album feels haunted, it's really creepy.

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2005 at 20:18

Definitely get Damnation, there's no growling on that album at all, as The Miracle already said.

Then, I'd check out Ghost Reveries. There are some songs on that album with no growling, and some with minimal growling, and when there is growling, it fits really well. If you're still put off by it, at least listen to the songs with clean vocals, and then let the others grow on you. It's certainly an acquired taste, but once you get used to it, you'll definitely appreciate the band's music a lot more.

-------------

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: December 13 2005 at 23:48

well Opeth have created almost perfect albums from Still Life until now

I like older material also but Still Life was the first TOP.

and they are definitely prog metal (death/black, whatever you like it to be)

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: December 14 2005 at 00:44
I love Opeth- I think they're prog- but Still Life is one of their LEAST proggy albums- its more straight ahead METAL

Posted By: Moatilliatta
Date Posted: December 14 2005 at 01:04
I think I disagree with every point made in the initial post. Opeth are most definitely prog, and Ghost Reveries is full of inspiration, and it's one of, if not, their finest work. I'm a little late into the thread, so I'll stop there.

Posted By: lynton samuel
Date Posted: December 14 2005 at 04:54
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

I love Opeth- I think they're prog- but Still Life is one of their LEAST proggy albums- its more straight ahead METAL

proggy or not, i think it's their best album.

-------------
[IMG]http://www.denness.net/rpi/u/arners/bc/FFFFFF/bg/FFFFFF/bg1/FFFFFF/bg2/FFFFFF/ac/CC00CC/tc/ff9933/dc/CC00CC/nc/CC00CC/tic/CC00CC/rpi.png">

Posted By: thefalafelking
Date Posted: December 14 2005 at 07:09

I only know two songs

1.death wispered in alullaby

2. face to melinda

they're fantastic, i like the voices, the sound of drums (on the first one) and the solos, but I don't think I'm into the 'growling voice-stuff', any recommendations??

Date Posted: December 14 2005 at 08:56
if you're not into growling, you should try damnation, where theres no growling at all.
but opeth wouldnt be anything at all without the growling, which is absolutely beatuiful in my opinion.

-------------
[IMG]http://www.denness.net/rpi/u/arners/bc/FFFFFF/bg/FFFFFF/bg1/FFFFFF/bg2/FFFFFF/ac/CC00CC/tc/ff9933/dc/CC00CC/nc/CC00CC/tic/CC00CC/rpi.png">

Posted By: Gentle Ronnie
Date Posted: December 14 2005 at 10:00

Originally posted by Ty1020 Ty1020 wrote:

What's progressive about CoB? I've listened to the band for years and have never once thought of them as being a prog band.

CoB are neither prog, nor death metal. They suck too.

And Ghost Reveries is Opeth's worst release easily.

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: December 14 2005 at 23:37

Originally posted by Ty1020 Ty1020 wrote:

Definitely get Damnation, there's no growling on that album at all, as The Miracle already said.

Then, I'd check out Ghost Reveries. There are some songs on that album with no growling, and some with minimal growling, and when there is growling, it fits really well. If you're still put off by it, at least listen to the songs with clean vocals, and then let the others grow on you. It's certainly an acquired taste, but once you get used to it, you'll definitely appreciate the band's music a lot more.

Ok thank you Ty, you to the Miracle...and yes, I meant growling...hehehe

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: December 14 2005 at 23:51

Originally posted by lynton samuel lynton samuel wrote:

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

proggy or not, i think it's their best album.

I cant agree to disagree more!

Posted By: Pafnutij
Date Posted: December 15 2005 at 00:09
Originally posted by Gentle Ronnie Gentle Ronnie wrote:

[CoB are neither prog, nor death metal. They suck too.

Agreed on all accounts.

The first 2 are worse.

Posted By: lovecraft
Date Posted: December 15 2005 at 01:53
Its a good job I can't hear any Dream Theatre in Opeths music, as I would have to take all my Opeth cd's, take them outside and destroy them and then fumigate the house

Date Posted: December 15 2005 at 04:09

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 02:34
Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

Originally posted by Gentle Ronnie Gentle Ronnie wrote:

[CoB are neither prog, nor death metal. They suck too.

Agreed on all accounts.

The first 2 are worse.

Morningrise is their best album, and Orchid is better than half of their works. Opinions...

-------------

Posted By: lovecraft
Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 03:01
Tough call to rate Orchid as I have only just bought it have yet to listen...but of the others I would have to rate BWP, SL and GR near the top closely followed by Del., then MAYH and MR. I have no time for Damnation as it is an utter yawnfest.

Posted By: Zarquino
Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 06:59

On the subject of prog metal bands, anyone heard into Internity? They have a number of different styles, but they have some prog in them!

Luke

Where's death prog metal i CoB? They are heavy metal with that black metla voice, nothing else. If you listen to them they're much more Iron Maiden or Judas Priest than Morbid Angel or any other death metal band.

Into Eternity are really great, I love the technic death metal bands like Coprofago, Necrophagist, Into Eternity, Illogicist, or Quo Vadis. Nowdays I'm much more in extreme metal than in prog rock :(

Bye guys

-------------
There's nothing left to loose

Posted By: Space Dimentia
Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 07:50
Opeth are a prog-metal/prog-death metal band its so obvious, they where it on their sleeves, and I must admit Children of Bodom are in that league to.

-------------
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 08:11

This forum started with a very polite question, but blood started run because the prog metal die-hards seem to be totally closed to any debate about their musical preferences.

I'm not a prog metal fan, but reading positive reviews about Opeth led me to hear the album that reviewers think is their best: Blackwater Park. Well, after carefully listening to this piece, in different moments and moods, I must say: If this is the best Opeth, they really SUCK! Both metal and the most quiet passages are uninspired and boring to death.

I'm sorry, but I have the right of disagree the "specialists". Now, you're allowed to beat me and criticize my ignorance and bad English.  

Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 13:57
Nah, BWP is hardly their best, but if you find their music boring, you're better off listening to Nile, SYL, DEP and Behemoth.

-------------

Posted By: troy
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 14:37
Originally posted by moodyxadi moodyxadi wrote:

This forum started with a very polite question, but blood started run because the prog metal die-hards seem to be totally closed to any debate about their musical preferences.

I'm not a prog metal fan, but reading positive reviews about Opeth led me to hear the album that reviewers think is their best: Blackwater Park. Well, after carefully listening to this piece, in different moments and moods, I must say: If this is the best Opeth, they really SUCK! Both metal and the most quiet passages are uninspired and boring to death.

I'm sorry, but I have the right of disagree the "specialists". Now, you're allowed to beat me and criticize my ignorance and bad English.  

We could always side up and have a fistfight to to settle thisWinkOuch   lets meet out back.  JUST KIDDING!!

-------------
SUNSET IS AN ANGEL WEEPING
HOLDING OUT A BLOODY SWORD
NO MATTER HOW I SQUINT I CANNOT MAKE OUT WHAT IT IS POINTING TOWARD

Posted By: Forgotten Son
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 15:49
Originally posted by moodyxadi moodyxadi wrote:

Your entitled to your opinions on their music, but you not liking them doesn't make them any less Prog.

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 15:56
Originally posted by Space Dimentia Space Dimentia wrote:

Opeth are a prog-metal/prog-death metal band its so obvious, they where it on their sleeves, and I must admit Children of Bodom are in that league to.

What the hell is progressive about COB? They're openly a very simplistic band. The fact that some people consider them prog is even more absurd based on the fact that they've gotten progressively less complex with each of their releases. They started out as a decent neo-classical metal band, and they've developed into some sort of pop/industrial/hardcore abomination that should in no way be associated with progressive music at all.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk