Print Page | Close Window

Zeppelin Sabbath

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11337
Printed Date: June 09 2024 at 19:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Zeppelin Sabbath
Posted By: Meddle9
Subject: Zeppelin Sabbath
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 01:25

OK, archivers you are doing a fine job. Recently you added Deep Purple, Mercury Rev, Vangelis & Traffic to name but a few.....so with this level of flexibility of what bands go on progarchives, it is now time to add:

Black Sabbath

Led Zeppelin

Grand Funk

I mean you even have Radiohead

Keep up the good work.

Replies:
Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 01:26
When will this end?????????

-------------
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty

Posted By: gabbel ratchett
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 01:31

Lets add Milli Vanilli, Prince and the Spice Girls too!

And I almost forgot, Bruce Springsteen.

-------------
dead things don't talk too well, they've got a shaky sense of diction.

Posted By: Damen
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 01:32
Milli Vanilli is progressive lip synch, duh

-------------
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 01:38

STOP IT OR I WILL

Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Grand Funk are great bands but they will NEVER be in the archives.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 01:39
Please make it stop!

-------------

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 01:40
as long as there are noobies on the site.....

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 01:42
NEVER EVER NEVER EVER!

-------------

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 01:44

Yes... are great bands... but never...

deep purple shouldnt be here

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: yesman72
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:14

Why would someone do this????? Why?????? Do these people know what progressive rock is about??????? Why must a good thing be ruined?

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:14
.....but obscure bands from the remote corners of Siberia get added just because they are deemed progressive. I don't believe Deep Purple are progressive but I do believe they should be added to this site. Progressive Archives as a site has grown in stature, it also has proven to be flexible including bands from Kraftwerk to Paatos. So let's ,just because we frequently visit this site and have great input, not become too judgemental on bands like say Sabbath or Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin in particular  deserve inclusion if only for the ' Rune ' album. Prog archives IMHO is the best site because it has such a wide variety of taste that dictate inclusion by merit. I mean I mostly dislike Radiohead intensley but respect the decision to have them included. Good call on Zep and Black Sabbath, hey we have Uriah Heep and Deep Purple. Keep up the good work and open minds.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:20
So when do we include Jean Luc Ponty and Jan Hammer, Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck? Their prog elements are just as strong as Black Sabbath or some other rock bands. Doesnt a line need to be drawn somewhere?

-------------

Posted By: cobb
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:22
And while the admins are at it why not change the name to Progressive/Rock Archives. And then we can add them all.

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:27

YES! ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

The Archies, Menudo, the Partridge Family, Bobby Sherman, the Cowsills, the Jackson Five, the Osmonds, Cher, Abba, Barry Manilow, the Bee Gees, the Village People, Barbara Streisand, the Platters, Sha Na Na, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, the Andrews Sisters, Vera Lynn, Edith Piaf, Charlotte Church and Acker Bilk, next, please!Smile

Big smileProg Arsehives.com HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:27
Again,people use the "if X is here,why not add Y"...

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:29
DANNY BONADUCHE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

-------------
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire

Posted By: cobb
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:30
Excellent Peter, but I don't think they'll get the message!

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:32
Danny was THE most bad-assed bassist of all time. Chris, Geddy, Jaco, Levin, Wetton, Wooten & Putin all pale in comparison to DANNY>

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:44
BTW How much longer till Deep Purple is erased??

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:53

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Gonna be a while, we're still trying to get Queen out.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 02:55
Originally posted by caston Band caston Band wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Gonna be a while, we're still trying to get Queen out.

Well Queen is still questionable,but Deep Purple is WITHOUT A DOUBT not fit here,with Concerto or not...

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 03:01

Queen/Deep Purple ----I say they are here...so wake up and move on.....enjoy the site. BTW, do you guys own it??? If it pisses you off move on...or shrug it off. Queen on the site....another good move only for their first four albums, can't deny the progressive element. Sorry but it is a damning fact.

peace and love and lennon....

-------------

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: video vertigo
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 03:15
I didn't really think Styx and Supertramp were prog before I got here, now I can see why, but I think Why not Blue Oyster Cult? They are as prog as Styx and Supertramp right? But I hope BOC will never be added to this site because they are clearly not prog.

-------------
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 03:16

Originally posted by gabbel ratchett gabbel ratchett wrote:

So when do we include Jean Luc Ponty and Jan Hammer, Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck? Their prog elements are just as strong as Black Sabbath or some other rock bands. Doesnt a line need to be drawn somewhere?

I would argue that JLP deserves inclusion and maybe Brubeck but not Miles Davis or Jan Hammer c'mon! JLP contribution is a definite. I would say that Jazz Fusion is more Prog orientated than pure Jazz like Miles Davis...although equally respectable

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 03:20

Originally posted by video vertigo video vertigo wrote:

I didn't really think Styx and Supertramp were prog before I got here, now I can see why, but I think Why not Blue Oyster Cult? They are as prog as Styx and Supertramp right? But I hope BOC will never be added to this site because they are clearly not prog.

Blue Oyster Cult deserve inclusion if only for their 70's contributions as would Spooky Tooth.

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 03:26
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

why not? they are definitely precursors of prog metal. I had in fact wondered why there is such a huge section of prog metal bands and no Deep Purple when I first came to this side

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Tony Fisher
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 03:42

Hang on, some of us don't even think Rush are prog!!

Deep Purple, Radiohead and Queen are definitely not prog IMO, but I suspect they're here to stay.

What about:

Golden Earring

Wishbone Ash

Runrig

All those are at least as prog as the recent additions but for God's sake don't add them!!!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 03:44

Peter

Chaps PLEASE don't turn this site into a general rock site.Led Zep and Sabbath are geat bands but there is absolutely no good reason in the world to include them.

JUST SAY NO..YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 03:52
Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Deep Purple, Radiohead and Queen are definitely not prog IMO, but I suspect they're here to stay.

What about:

Golden Earring

Wishbone Ash

Runrig

All those are at least as prog as the recent additions but for God's sake don't add them!!!

How can you say ' Ballad of the Beacon' is not prog or anything from the debut to Pilgrimage. ' Front Page News' is commercial but a darn site better than Invisible touch and noone questions Genesis because of their highly important early work. Let's not deny the early 70's created prog in bands that did not perhaps even have a leaning towards prog at the time but still went along for the ride. Therefore excluding them reduces the credibility of this fine site.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 04:15
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

What about:

Golden Earring

Wishbone Ash

Runrig

How can you say ' Ballad of the Beacon' is not prog or anything from the debut to Pilgrimage. ' Front Page News' is commercial but a darn site better than Invisible touch and noone questions Genesis because of their highly important early work. Let's not deny the early 70's created prog in bands that did not perhaps even have a leaning towards prog at the time but still went along for the ride. Therefore excluding them reduces the credibility of this fine site.

I don't agree with the last line at all.Why? I grew up in the seventies (like many here) and Sabbath and Led Zep (not to mention Queen) were never considered prog.It will distort and dilute the importnace of this site to include them.They are great ROCK icons.Leave them be.Deep Purple did produce the concerto for group and orchesta album so they have some reason for being here although I would have kept them out as the lines are now getting too blurry and inevitably we are getting the calls to include Sabbath and Led Zep as well.Slippery slope... 

btw I still think there was a justification for including Radiohead who have produced at least 2 full prog albums.

Posted By: Wolf Spider
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 07:30
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

why not? they are definitely precursors of prog metal. I had in fact wondered why there is such a huge section of prog metal bands and no Deep Purple when I first came to this side

I would say that Rush was the precursor of prog metal. Deep Purple had nothing to do with it.

-------------
http://www.lastfm.pl/user/tomash33 - Last.fm

Posted By: dmille
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 08:57
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

Originally posted by gabbel ratchett gabbel ratchett wrote:

I would argue that JLP deserves inclusion and maybe Brubeck but not Miles Davis or Jan Hammer c'mon! JLP contribution is a definite. I would say that Jazz Fusion is more Prog orientated than pure Jazz like Miles Davis...although equally respectable

Miles' Bitches Brew IS Fusion. The key members of MO, RTF and WR played on Miles' albums.

-------------
why do we never get an answer when we're knocking at the door?

Posted By: dmille
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 08:58
How is it that folks on this site don't understand the difference between heavy metal and progressive-rock?

-------------
why do we never get an answer when we're knocking at the door?

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 16:15

Originally posted by dmille dmille wrote:

How is it that folks on this site don't understand the difference between heavy metal and progressive-rock?

ErmmMany are too young to have lived through the classic prog era -- they see metal bands (with keyboards) here, so they think that classic hard rock bands must now somhow be "prog" by default. (They're trying to get them "in through the out door."Wink)

As so-called "prog" fans, many think that everything they like must somehow now be prog.Wacko

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 16:35
Black Sabbath?
Grand Funk ?
Led Zep?
Blue Oyster Cult?

We tiptoe around the edges of etiquette far too much on this forum.
Anyone who suggested any of those bands or agrees that they are Prog is mentally-retarded.

This is not an opinion.It is the only conclusion one can draw from this lunacy!

Go away quickly please.

Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 04:37
I agree with Tony.

Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 10:02

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Black Sabbath?
Grand Funk ?
Led Zep?
Blue Oyster Cult?

We tiptoe around the edges of etiquette far too much on this forum.
Anyone who suggested any of those bands or agrees that they are Prog is mentally-retarded.

This is not an opinion.It is the only conclusion one can draw from this lunacy!

Go away quickly please.

Just start banning people who make ridiculous threads like this.

-------------

-Chris Squire

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk