Print Page | Close Window

add ulver

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11370
Printed Date: May 21 2024 at 15:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: add ulver
Posted By: Pseud0
Subject: add ulver
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:02
truthfully, this is the most progressive (in the true sense of the word - not just technical ability or the fact that there is a mellotron) band in the past 10 or so years, if not of all time.

bergtatt - best folk black metal album ever (best black metal album ever actually )
kveldssanger - acoustic folk music - incredible
nattens madrigal - harshest black metal album ever recorded
themes from william blakes the marriage of heaven and hell - an electronic double album where the scriptures of the plates of william blakes poem are the lyrics.

the incredibly risky jump from a harsh lo fi black metal album to electronic music while maintaining the same name has to be one of the craziest things ever.  people must have been like wtf?!

each album could really be made by a different band.  Even garms clean singing has completely changed since the black metal "trilogie" years.  even if they arn't added, LISTEN TO THIS BAND

their new album, blood inside is my favorite of the year (close between that and ghost reveries... but i think BI defeats it in the long run)

Replies:
Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:04

How about no? They might be better off than some of the Black Metal I've heard in my small lifetime  But they can NOT QUALIFY AS PROGRESSIVE! If this goes onto Progarchives, I'm going to Maani!!!!!

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:09
arcturus are in the archives.

also, queen are in the archives

stop acting like an ignoramus

btw, they arn't a black metal band.  They have only had 2 black metal albums.

nattens madrigal (the madrigal of the night) was in 1996.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:10
Arcturus are not really BM really...... They IMO are like 1000000000 times more Progressive than Ulver, but I once complained about that too you know?

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:11
haha arcturus are as black metal as ulver.  ever heard aspera hiems symphonia?

Open your eyes, Nicholas!!!

dream theater arn't progressive

at all.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:12

If you don't think DT is Progressive, then I guess Marillion isn't either.

Open your eyes! Dream Theater is Neo-Progressive Metal!!!!

Posted By: ulver982
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:14

Ulver progressive? YES...Listen to any of thier 12 releases and tell me they are not progressive.  Ulver can't be put into one genre of music, which I think makes them progressive.  You don't have to like black metal to even like Ulver..just don't listen to their 1st or 3rd releases.  If you like music, I think there will be a high chance that you will like Ulver.

-------------
Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:15
lol at subgenres like that

tell me how dream theater are progressive.  I could see how they would be if all there is to "prog" is w**king off and awful vocals.....

also,ive heard all of their albums besides the new one (multiple times) so you can't really say im as ignorant as you are about ulver

edit: "Ulver progressive? YES...Listen to any of thier 12 releases and tell me they are not progressive.  Ulver can't be put into one genre of music, which I think makes them progressive.  You don't have to like black metal to even like Ulver..just don't listen to their 1st or 3rd releases.  If you like music, I think there will be a high chance that you will like Ulver."

this man knows

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:16
However, I think Ulver are not that bad, but not Progressive. Fair enough? Remember I'm nice enough to recognize Coheed and Cambria as Prog (After a long debate too). WE could definitely do that here too!

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:19
ok... download these tracks and listen to them in order.

I Troldskog Faren Vild
ulvsblakk
Lost in Moments
something from lyckantropen themes or svidd neger
christmas

not progressive eh?

1. Moving forward; advancing.
  2. Proceeding in steps; continuing steadily by increments: progressive change.
  3. Promoting or favoring progress toward better conditions or new policies, ideas, or methods: a progressive politician; progressive business leadership.

Posted By: ulver982
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 23:30

Another note...this was written in their Metamorphosis ep:

"Note:  Ulver is obviously not a black metal band and does not wish to be stigmatized as such.  We acknowledge the relation of part I & III of the Trilogie ("Bergtatt" & "Nattens Madrigal") to this culture, but stress that these endeavours were written as stepping stones rather than conclusions.  We are proud of our former instincts, but wish to liken our association with said genre to that of the snake with Eve.  An incentive to further frolic only.

If this discourages you in any way, please have the courtesy to refrain from voicing superficial remarks regarding our music and/or personae.  We are as unknown to you as we always were."

-------------
Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.

Posted By: Mahonster
Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 09:29
A band that hops around from death metal, to folk music, to electronica soundrack style music in the form of concept albums that sounds different from pretty much any other band deserves to be here/

Posted By: Wolf Spider
Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 09:31
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

How about no? They might be better off than some of the Black Metal I've heard in my small lifetime  But they can NOT QUALIFY AS PROGRESSIVE! If this goes onto Progarchives, I'm going to Maani!!!!!

Dude they are now not black metal, they are experimenta/electronic and yes they are prog, just listen to Perdition City or Blood Inside.

BTW: this is probably 8-10 thread about adding Ulver since I`m here and I`m here only for a month! If you guys like them so much go ahead and add them.

KoL - your`e against adding Ulver but you have nothing against Borknagar?

-------------
http://www.lastfm.pl/user/tomash33 - Last.fm

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 10:08
Garm rules.

Posted By: morpheusdraven
Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 10:28
Ulver has a pretty undeniable spot on prog-archives, methinks, and most
of the arguments here seem to have a pretty good handle on the reasons
why.

Even if none of the other albums could be considered prog (which they
are), Blood Inside is such a daring evolution into aural layering and
composition that it would make up for three band's entire non-prog
discographies.

Thankfully, Ulver hasn't sat still EVER during their 13 year career. So that's
not a worry. Duh.

edit: as for a soundtrack piece of theirs for folks to check out, my favorite
from the three STs I've heard of theirs is Wheel of Conclusion from Svidd
Neger. Lycantropen Themes is a bit repetitive, although still quite
interesting and rewarding, and their contributions to the Uno soundtrack
are a bit half-assed (since Blood Inside was taking up a huge amount of
their time, presumably), but Svidd Neger is a dynamic, versatile
conceptual work that stands alone as brilliantly as it must have matched
the film it was for.

Posted By: Wolf Spider
Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 10:45
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Garm rules.

So simple and yet so true

-------------
http://www.lastfm.pl/user/tomash33 - Last.fm

Posted By: Bryan
Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 13:51
It's definitely true that they're progressive in that they've had an extremely diverse career, but the question is... should their music really be viewed as "progressive rock"?  I'd say that Bergtatt narrowly slides into the prog-metal category, while their more recent works like Perdition City and Blood Inside could probably fit in nicely under post-rock (or maybe electronic prog).  Great band, but I'm a little uncertain as to whether I'd include them on the site.

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 15:11
Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

Ulver can't be put into one genre of music, which I think makes them progressive.

It doesn't . That's not to say they aren't, but that's not a reason.

Posted By: mrzero
Date Posted: September 11 2005 at 15:35
If Ulver is prog or not falls into the evergoing discussion of wat prog in its essense is, is it a form of music defined by the pionering bands of the seventies, or is a artist prog if the mentalety of the performer is to always seek new ekspressions with the help of new musical tecnology and new ways to perform on their instruments. But at the same time keeping within the bounderys of  wat you can identefy as rock, jazz, metal, folk  

Posted By: Mnemosyne
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 12:12
They can be easily on the Archives as "Progressive Electronic" or as "Experimental"

-------------
I'm a Man-Owl-Fish.
Creator-Observer-Muse.

Posted By: Retrovertigo
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 22:57
Ulver is not a Progressive Metal band.  Even if their sound is varied is does not warrant them the Prog title.  Death Metal or Scandinavian fits their bill for categorization's sake.  Not to say I don't like Ulver, in fact I really like Bergtatt.

Posted By: Angeldust
Date Posted: September 19 2005 at 15:25

I think that they should be on the archives ,but i find that too difficult because of their earlier recordings.Prog is experimentation and they've pushed the limits.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk