Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113892
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 06:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Songs that took you the longest time to get into
Posted By: ClosetothSupperBrick
Subject: Songs that took you the longest time to get into
Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 19:44
What are songs that took you more than three listenings/several months to love, and why do you think you took so long to love it? I'm pretty sure that this might have been brought up elsewhere, but I don't want to try to find it. This question is very dear to me, as basically all of my favorite prog songs took some time to get into; for example, I keep a list of my favorite songs ranked, from 1- ∞, and songs that are now in my top 25 of all time, i.e. "Close to the Edge", "Shine on You Crazy Diamond", "Supper's Ready", "Thick as a Brick", used to be outside of the top 100/200!

"Close to the Edge" was the most important example of this: the first time I listened to it, I thought it was horrible/too "weird" and never wanted to listen to Yes again, the second time I listened to it, a couple months later, I could actually remember passages from it, but the memorable parts weren't even that to my ears at that time - but I was persistent, because I had read online (maybe from this website, I can't remember though) that "CTTE" was one of the best prog songs ever, so I desperately wanted to "get" that opinion; finally on my third listen (several months later) I found the gold I was searching for: the "I Get Up, I Get Down" finale clicked for the first time, and as I sang along to the impossibly high vocals of Anderson, I felt that for the first time, I understood what the song's, and prog as a whole's, appeal was: progressing towards a cathartic, beautiful melody that makes you want to close your eyes, fist pump and point your head to the sky in sheer, emotional glory... and all that was NOT achieved on the first, second, and to a lesser extent the third time I listened to that song, because anticipating that climactic moment after remembering your last listening to the song gets you deeper into the experience of listening to it.

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 20:02
The whole TOMMY opera. It took me a while to really get into it. Though I liked it at first listen, it was a while before I could appreciate it as much as I do now.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 20:14
Abacab, the entire record.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 23:55
Most prog albums I love. I was 10-11 ages when I started to love prog. Very common was, that there were one or two pieces I love immediately, but the whole album grow slowly.

Posted By: Mista-Gordie
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 01:55
All of Mike Oldfield' "Incantations". It's such an engaging record, even more so than anything else he did, including "Amarok". I clicked instantly with all his albums from "Tubular bells" to "Discovery" but this one took me so much longer to get into. Now I consider it up there with "Ommadawn" among his truly greatest moments. Very minimalist in its compositionnal approach, and yet so intricate.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 03:46
Tangerine Dream's Zeit. It collected powder for years before I attempted it again and it happened to become one of my all tie favorites.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 04:09
Thick as a Brick took a loooong time to click for me.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 04:16
not the longest time, but Supper's ready, for the quirky "A flower?" section. Still not my favorite song on Foxtrot, never was. 

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 07:51
Originally posted by Mista-Gordie Mista-Gordie wrote:

All of Mike Oldfield' "Incantations". It's such an engaging record, even more so than anything else he did, including "Amarok". I clicked instantly with all his albums from "Tubular bells" to "Discovery" but this one took me so much longer to get into. Now I consider it up there with "Ommadawn" among his truly greatest moments. Very minimalist in its compositionnal approach, and yet so intricate.

Same here. I only rediscovered it very recently, inspired by a thread here about it. I first heard it when I was 15 or so and was disappointed how boring it was compared with what else I knew of Oldfield. I have a much better understanding of minimalism now, that may have helped, perhaps some more life and music experience. I probably could've got into it 5 years later or so but by then it had disappeared from my radar so it had to wait until now when I'm over 50.

Also "Zeit", for which the hour came some years ago.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 12:22
Sound Chaser...still waiting for the light bulb to click on the cha-cha-cha section Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 12:41
Probably The Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth by Rush. 
I was introduced to Rush around 1980 and Caress of Steel was the second album I bought. I was thinking to myself, what is this sh*t! 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 12:52
Wobblers 2017 album.  Just cannot get into..  Gave this at least 20 listens,  hoping somehow I would break,  but I just find it tiresome and boring.  Confused   Giving this album a break for now and will look again later,  in a few months time. :)

Posted By: condor
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 16:19
Exiles -

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 17:15
OR: How many times has one to go to The Louvre to "learn" appreciating La Gioconda ?

The concept of forcing me to listen to some music in the hope that someday will be able to like it (when it didn't click in the first place) - this is completely alien to me - never did and guess will never do.

Something completely different  is to love a music even more as I come to discover its nuances with new listens - this happens to me all the time, of course, like to anybody.

Basic, basic thoughts but worth to explain why I'm incapable of giving an example for "...the longest time to get into..."

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 17:29
oh that is easy!!!!

took years to finally get it... and once it clicked it went from being my least favorite to not just absolute favorite on the album.. but pretty much all the way to being favorite overall tack by the band.

Yes - The Ancient.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 17:29
I don't know about individual songs but the entire "clutching at straws" album by Marillion took me a while to get into. 

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 19:29
The album that has taken me forever to get into is Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. Stagger Lee and O'Malley's Bar instantly had me hooked, but I am so glad that I can appreciate the rest of the album now.

Frank Zappa took me awhile to get into - his whole discography. It started with Sheik Yerbouti for me, and then I was able to branch into Apostrophe ('), Joe's Garage, and Hot Rats. The improvisations come naturally for me, but the comedy was what took a long time to grow - the lyrics in general, actually.

One very recent album that has been a tremendous grower is In the Passing Light of Day, by Pain of Salvation. This albums is a true masterpiece because each listen reveals new nuances, and more and more elements can be discovered behind the craziness and held-back tension that is this album.

Oh, and one more. Darwin, by Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, has been one heck of a grower. Francesco Di Giacomo's voice does wonders. L'evoluzione is one of the best songs of all time.

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 19:52
Three Friends by Gentle Giant is another one for me. Also, "tormato" and "wind and wuthering."

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 20:31

Although this thread is about songs, for me albums are more relevant to the topic.

Many years ago, VdGG's World Record was my first exposure to the group, and musically very different to anything I had heard before. I didn't like it at first but gave it a second chance, which led me to see value in the music. A few more listens and I saw VdGG as a group worth exploring further. The second VdGG album I heard was Pawn Hearts which I instantly fell in love with. Third was The Quite Zone / The Pleasure Dome which seemed more mainstream to me and I liked it. Next were H To He, Who Am The Only One and Godbluff, but these did not appeal to me immediately, and it took a few listens for me to see their beauty. I still can't seem to get into Still Life although I do like some of it. This sentence from the VdGG biography very much rings true to me: "For lot of us their music has proven to be very hard to get into, but it is even harder to live without it once you've acquired a taste for the band."

An album that for quite a long time I thought was tediously boring was Stanley Clarke's Journey To Love. And then it clicked! I fell in love with that album, and now it is a favourite of mine.

More recently, Maudlin Of The Well's Part The Second took a few listens for it to grab me, and grab me it did, becoming one of my most favourite albums. When I first listened to that album, I didn't know what to think of it. Although it didn't really appeal to me, there was something about the album that made me want to listen to it again, and again, and ...

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 22:35
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

The album that has taken me forever to get into is Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. Stagger Lee and O'Malley's Bar instantly had me hooked, but I am so glad that I can appreciate the rest of the album now.

I have been a huge Cave-fan so long, but when Murder Ballads came, I thought very long now he´s failed with that one. Of course I loved Henry Lee and Wild Roses immediately, but rest of the album just didn´t give me anything. Now I like the whole album, although it really isn`t still my favourites.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: February 13 2018 at 03:17
Flying colours-Tull

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Jzrk
Date Posted: February 13 2018 at 18:58
Kind of sideways on the subject.I think the mood you are in personally at the time you first listen to something new can affect your like for it.
I have found that something that did not interest me that much changed when I was in a different mind frame so to speak .
As far as direct not like to love some music I can’t say that has happened to me.
It might have but I can’t recall one specifically.Certainly the album growing more and more after several listens is a common thing for sure.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 13 2018 at 23:26
Tangerine Dream, the whole stuff. For now I love the title track of Phaedra. More to come, I hope.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 14 2018 at 06:57
Aphrodite's Child's Infinity. First couple of times I heard this was outside of the album, because peeps often find it funny to post in threads pertaining to generally weird music. It's not a "fave" now as much as I find it to be an integral part of the album...it makes sense in the context of 666.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: February 14 2018 at 10:31
That Popeye the Sailor Man song was a real pain in the ass.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 14 2018 at 11:13
The whole In a Glass House album.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 14 2018 at 11:23
It's been over 44 years and I'm still trying to get into sides 2, 3, and 4 of Tales Of Topographic Oceans...

LOL

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 12:17
Not a song(s) but an album. Phil Manzanera/801's Listen Now was repeatedly foisted on me by a prog afficianado-friend when it came out, and I viewed it as more pop than prog. One listening finally came about when I truly saw the light. The album's a fine mix of several styles, not least of which is prog. For the uninitiated, give City of Light a go.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 12:41
There was that one Billy Joel song...

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 15 2018 at 17:00
^That's too easy - Piano Man!

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: February 16 2018 at 03:43
"Wondering" by VdGG. I am a big VdGG fan, but somehow that song always seemed too pompous for me. It made click at the VdGG reunion concert at the Royal Festival Hall on May 6th 2005, which Jean and I attended (we got tickets from the black market; don't ask me what we paid for them). "Wondering" was the second and last encore, and it somehow was the perfect end for the concert, especially since with the ending it went full circle with the beginning of the concert, "Undercover Man".

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 16 2018 at 03:52
Seriously, the 80’s epitome - Too Shy, by none other than KAJAGOOGOO.
My sis had this debut album of theirs for decades.........Having learnt this was Nick Beggs ( Bassist extraordinare and Chapman Stick wizard) first successful band, I listened and listened.....
Great tune from a rather ‘humiliated’ band of the era.
All I can say is ‘just listen and learn’....../if you can !!!

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: February 16 2018 at 04:05
Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

What are songs that took you more than three listenings/several months to love, and why do you think you took so long to love it?

For me three listenings / several months wouldn't necessarily count as a lot, at least when I was younger and less experienced as a listener. For instance I bought The Power and the Glory on vinyl when I was about fifteen and just getting into prog - my first GG album and for a long time my last!  Most of it was completely outside my frame of reference, and although I could tell right away that there was brilliance there I couldn't feel it or grok it. That one took me just about four years to get. Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden a few years later also evaded me to start with, but that one only took a couple of years for me to switch on to. 

In some ways I think the more time and patience it takes to 'get' something, the more one is apt to love it when one does Thumbs Up

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: February 16 2018 at 04:37
The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread was Igor Wakhevitch...but then again I tend to think of him when topics like this come along. Impenetrable, difficult and highly unorthodox are fairly accurate descriptions of his music, yet that doesn't quite prepare your brain for what is about to happen.
Here's a small bit from my Logos review that perfectly captures my initial beginnings with Igor's music:

-The music is ritualistic and deeply fascinating. It shimmers and lurks with strange hovering almost static segments, where polyphonic musical voices pop up in the most odd of places. Unlike post rock where the crescendo is nigh on foreseeable, you DAAAAAAWWW get the DOOOOOUUMNM feeling BAAAAAAAAAAHHH with DOOOOOOUMM Igor that he seeks to highlight other moments in his music. It's perplexing at first - it even gets annoying - I seem to remember getting furiously angered with myself and the music, because it didn't behave as 'normal' music did. "AAAARGGGHHH!!!!!! Follow the Goddamn rules why dontjah!?!?!?!!"

I did come around though and now consider him to be a true genius.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: February 16 2018 at 05:12
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Aphrodite's Child's Infinity. First couple of times I heard this was outside of the album, because peeps often find it funny to post in threads pertaining to generally weird music. It's not a "fave" now as much as I find it to be an integral part of the album...it makes sense in the context of 666.

I always loved that track. Did you know that originally it was 39 minutes long? The record company did however not want that, especially since this would have turned "666" into a triple album. They also argued that no-one would want to listen to this kind of "music" for 39 minutes. I actually would want to, at least once in a while.

Irene Papas was allegedly on some drug when she performed her vocal contribution, and I very much believe that. You have to be on some kind of drug to go on like this for 39 minutes!

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: February 16 2018 at 05:18

That does not surprise me. She sounds completely deranged on that song. I'm not sure I'm ready for 39 minutes of strange orgasm sounds performed to music...but it'd be fun to hear at least just once.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 02:30
Close to the Edge is probably a good call for me too. I didn't like it that much at first, neither the song nor the album, now both are among my top 5 favorites of all time.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Argos
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:36
Shine on You Crazy Diamond--it took a lot of months and Pink Floyd listens as a whole to get used to it, now it's one of my favourites of theirs. 

Also Starless by King Crimson. I don't even know why I didn't get into it quickly, I mean it's f**king perfect. Maybe it has to do with the fact that at those times I used to tread more in the Heavy Metal/Hard Rock and my ear wasn't really used to prog rock.

Also, a lot of tracks on The Wall (the album). Seriously though, I find it tedious to try and listen it as a whole. Maybe half the tracks here and there I love to listen, but never from beginning to finish. Even if I love Pink Floyd to death my subconscious still reject this particular album.

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

That Popeye the Sailor Man song was a real pain in the ass.

LOL

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 19:07
John Cage- 4'33

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 06:45
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

John Cage- 4'33
Pro tip: you can listen to something else at the same time!

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 06:58
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

John Cage- 4'33
Pro tip: you can listen to something else at the same time!

LOL

Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 08:36
Most of Gorguts Obscura.

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 10:46
Dogs (Pink Floyd)  A little long & took a few listens to get in to but now I like it.

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 12:57
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

-------------

Posted By: Mystic Mamba
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 10:12
Pretty much all of Tales From Topographic Oceans. The first few listens, I found it to be boring and aimless apart from a few good moments here and there. It wasn't until I watched the Symphonic Live version of Ritual then went back and gave the album a few more chances that it finally "clicked" with me. Now it is my number 1 Yes album. Moral of the story: don't give up on songs just because they fly over your head the first time.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk