Print Page | Close Window

Prog Musician Longest Tenure With 1 Band?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113939
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 21:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog Musician Longest Tenure With 1 Band?
Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Subject: Prog Musician Longest Tenure With 1 Band?
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 14:05
In another thread we considered musicians who collaborated with a large number of different bands.  Now we consider the opposite question: 

"Which prog musician had the longest running tenure with just one band, without collaborating with anyone else?"

Rules:
1. Tenure is defined as the time from his/her first appearance on an album, to their final appearance on an album by the same group.
2. During that time, the artist cannot have recorded with any other band.

I will offer Jean-Michael Jarre as a starting point.  He started in 1971 with "Les Granges Brulees" and his streak ended in 2016 when he recorded with Gorillaz on their "Humanz" album.  Everything in between with recorded as Jean-Michael Jarre.  Total: 45 years.

Replies:
Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 14:14
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

In another thread we considered musicians who collaborated with a large number of different bands.  Now we consider the opposite question: 

"Which prog musician had the longest running tenure with just one band, without collaborating with anyone else?"

Rules:
1. Tenure is defined as the time from his/her first appearance on an album, to their final appearance on an album by the same group.

I will offer Jean-Michael Jarre as a starting point.  He started in 1971 with "Les Granges Brulees" and his streak ended in 2016 when he recorded with Gorillaz on their "Humanz" album.  Everything in between with recorded as Jean-Michael Jarre.  Total: 45 years.

Jarre does not count by your own rules; he collaborated with numerous other artists like Cindy Lauper, Gary Numan or the Pet Shop Boys

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 14:17
EDGAR FROESE founded Tangerine Dream in 1967. The first LP 'Electronic Meditation' debuted in 1970. He remained the driving force behind TD until his death in 2015.
1970-2015 = 45 years, too!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 14:21
CHRIS SQUIRE formed Yes in 1968. The band's eponymous debut appeared in 1969. Squire is the only musician to appear on every single Yes album, until his death in 2015.

46 years!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 14:23
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Whoops! I guess Edgar Froese wins this thread. Chris Squire participated in other bands like World Trade, Conspiracy and Squackett.

-------------

Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 14:28
Wait a second.

Ralf Hutter co-founded Kraftwerk (first album: 1970) and remains with them to this day! They've endured periods of inactivity but Ralf has remained the sole constant.

2020 will be Kraftwerk's 50th anniversary on album.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 14:28
James Young, guitarist of Styx, has been there for aeons. I don’t think he’s done anything else.

Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 14:30
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

James Young, guitarist of Styx, has been there for aeons. I don’t think he’s done anything else.

One album by the James Young Group in 1995. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 15:26
^

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 16:04
Living? Probably Peter Townshend and Roger Daltrey of the Who, which formed in 1964. If we're sticking with prog, then probably Graeme Edge of the Moody Blues (formed in 1964), Gary Brooker of Procol Harum (1967), or Ian Anderson, if you consider what he still does as being Jethro Tull (1967, although most of the members were playing together under different band names as early as 1964).

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 16:28
Dave Cousins

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 16:33
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

...Gary Brooker of Procol Harum (1967)...

Hate to rule him out as he's one of my all time faves, but Gary Brooker played and is credited on George Harrison's, "All Things Must Pass" and the Kate Bush album, "Aerial" Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 17:30
Dave Brock of Hawkwind.

-------------

Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 18:41
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Dave Brock of Hawkwind.

Clap

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 19:12
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

CHRIS SQUIRE formed Yes in 1968. The band's eponymous debut appeared in 1969. Squire is the only musician to appear on every single Yes album, until his death in 2015.

46 years!

Came here to say this! I'm sure there are others who have been in bands longer, but he's up there!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 19:23

Dave Brock of Hawkwind.

Played on Bob Calvert - Captain Lockheed & The Starfighters and Michael Moorcock & The Deep Fix - New Worlds Fair

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 19:25

Living? Probably Peter Townshend and Roger Daltrey of the Who, which formed in 1964. 

Both been on many collaborations.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 21:12
Robert Fripp, KC 1969-....49 years and still doing it. So to speak! I suppose there were large periods of no KC in those 49 years

Andy Powell Wishbone Ash 1969- cannot think of a year where WA didn't play a concert. Just looked at Wikipedia....no break ever in those 49 years so far.

As far as Ian Anderson with Tull ..... really he doesn't count, seeing he said they were not a band any more in 2012 and suddenly they are again in 2018...just because it's JT's 50 year anniversary!

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 21:20
I was never very good at reading instructions!

I suppose the above 3 can be discounted because all 3 have collaborated; you'd have to be a real loner if you didn't collaborate with anyone!

Of the 3 above, Andy Powell would probably be the one with least collaborations. He did one guitar solo on Renaissance's Ashes Are Burning album; and he was a guest on an album by a band called Blue Law in the 90s. That's about all I can recall he has done but I am sure there are more.

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 01:25

Living? Probably Peter Townshend and Roger Daltrey of the Who, which formed in 1964. If we're sticking with prog, then probably Graeme Edge of the Moody Blues (formed in 1964), Gary Brooker of Procol Harum (1967), or Ian Anderson, if you consider what he still does as being Jethro Tull (1967, although most of the members were playing together under different band names as early as 1964).

Ian Anderson played flute with Honeymoon Suite and Uriah Heep. He did a lot more, but this is out of my head.

Graeme Edge had his own Graeme Edge Band with wich he recorded two albums with Adrian Gurvitz.

Pete Townshend did numerous (great) solo-albums.

Gary Brooker had a lot of solo albums.

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 01:28
I would say Jim Crichton from Saga. Been there since 1977.
The only collabs he did were producing (he has his own studios) and programming keyboards for other bands (Magnum, Yes, etc.)

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 01:33
How about Pye Hastings?
Did he ever do anything else, then play in Caravan?
Although the band was disbanded 3 three times, but still, he played with them since 1968.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 01:37
Latimer - did he ever do anything else other than Camel?

Steve Rothery - he's been in Marillion before anyone else, even Kelly. But I guess he doesn't count because he started having some side projects at some point. 

Prog artists have side projects at some point, they don't just stick to one band. 

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 01:40
^  Andy played guitar on Colin Bass solo album

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 01:41
John Lees with Barclay James Harvest (and his own version of BJH).
He played with the band since 1968, and did only one solo album and played with Mandalaband only once.

Same goes for Les Holroyd (with the other version of the band).

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 01:44
John Deacon of Queen, played from 1971 upto 1997 with the band.

He did very few collaborations. Just playing bass on other's albums/singles, but not really part of a group/band.
He did however release a single in 1986 as The Immortals. So that could be considered his mere solo-effort.

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 03:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Dave Brock of Hawkwind.

Played on Bob Calvert - Captain Lockheed & The Starfighters and Michael Moorcock & The Deep Fix - New Worlds Fair

I know, but these albums are extremely Hawkwind-related, so I mentioned him.

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 06:31
Mick Box of Uriah Heep. He only guested on David Byron's solo-albums. He's been with since 1969, and Heep only once almost broke up.

Phil Ehart and Rich Williams of Kansas (Phil Ehart only guested once on a Steve Hacket-album, as far as I know, Rich never guested anywhere).

Frank Bornemann of Eloy. Although he is a well-known producer and produced a lot of records, he never guested anywhere and only played in Eloy.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 06:38
Mick Box.. umm hmmm...

*click click*

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 06:44
^ yeah, I forgot about him.

Also worth mentioning is Tony Iommi  who kept Sabbath alive for so many years. His collaboration with Glenn Hughes is great, three albums. Seventh star was supposed to be a Iommi solo album, but the powers that be at the record company decided to call that "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi". One of the dumbest thing ever... Oh well...

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 09:39
The leader so far seems to be Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk, currently at 47 years and counting (their last album was "3-D The Catalogue" in 2017).  The next two (verified) are Jean-Michael Jarre and Edgar Froese, each at 45 years.  Jarre's streak stopped because he recorded with another band, and Edgar passed away.

Some folks suggested other names, but many of those have collaborated outside their band.  If you think you have a candidate, please give the exact number of years from their first album to their last album without recording with anyone else.

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 10:20
As I said: 

Rich Williams of Kansas.
 1973 - 2018 (45 years with the band), and no collaborations or perfomances on any other album than Kansas.

Frank Bornemann of Eloy
 1969 - 2018 (49 years with the band), he played only on Eloy-albums and had no solo-albums, collabs or guest-performances elsewhere. 

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 10:59
Frank Bornemann.  First album "Eloy" 1971. Last album (but still counting!) "The Vision, the Sword and the Pyre – Part 1", 2017.  So he's at 46 years.  I'm assuming there will be a "Part 2" pretty soon, so he'll leap-frog past Ralf Hutter for the undisputed lead for iron-man of prog.

The reason I choose to base longevity on album releases is that it is easy to verify, and there's no wishy-washy estimates of when, exactly, did someone start or join a band.  Also, there are a lot of musicians still alive that haven't recorded an album in decades, even though they are technically still part of the band.

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 11:28
If Dave Brock counts he is in the lead (1970 - now). His collaboration on "Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters" and "New World Fair" is after all in the family; both Robert Calvert and Michael Moorcock were members of Hawkwind.

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 11:49
^ He did vocals on 2002's "Space Metal" released by Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Star One, which was not really in the Hawkwind family.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 12:40
Neil Peart(Rush) from 1974 to 2015. 

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 12:45
Mark Kelly of Marillion (1981- present day)
Unlike Rothery, I don't think he did anything else other than Marillion

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 12:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Living? Probably Peter Townshend and Roger Daltrey of the Who, which formed in 1964. 

Both been on many collaborations.

As well as solo careers.

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 14:09
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Maybe not long term but he has played with Edison's Children and Ayreon as a guest. Not sure if that counts or not though.

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 14:13
^ does guesting count? Then I'll never find anyone LOL

like Micky said, Mick Box of Uriah Heep (1970-present day). 

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 14:39
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

The only collabs he did were producing (he has his own studios) and programming keyboards for other bands (Magnum, Yes, etc.)

Jim's played on other bands' albums, e.g. he's credited with keyboards (not producer) on No Sweat's eponymous 1990 debut. Michael Sadler also did some backup vocals on it.

Jim also did some synth programming on Magnum's Goodnight L.A. (released the same year, in 1990).

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 20:40
This is a tough assignment! 

I immediately thought of Daevid Allen of Gong, but he did have Soft Machine and a few other collaborations in his background. 

RIP Daevid, you were amazing! Cry

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 23:27
Jon Field - Jade Warrior
Alex Lifeson - Rush

Edit: No, sorry. Jon Field played flute on Tubular Bells.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 01:51

He played on at least 3 albums of John Wesley.
Then he played with DeeExpus, Edison's Children, Nektar and Ayreon. Wink

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 01:52

Jim's played on other bands' albums, e.g. he's credited with keyboards (not producer) on No Sweat's eponymous 1990 debut. Michael Sadler also did some backup vocals on it.

Jim also did some synth programming on Magnum's Goodnight L.A. (released the same year, in 1990).

That's exactly what I said, hahahaha.
You even quote me on saying exactly that, hahahaha

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 01:54

^ does guesting count? Then I'll never find anyone LOL

like Micky said, Mick Box of Uriah Heep (1970-present day). 

It was me who brought him up, hahaha.

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 02:04
^ well then I did not see your post about Mick LOL, sorry about that, I meant no harm 

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 02:13

Yes, on the Magnum, I did. LOL!

But Jim's still way back in line compared to other prog guys (and Saga is ending, while Eloy, Kraftwerk and Hawkwind are still truckin').

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 02:39

Yes, on the Magnum, I did. LOL!

But Jim's still way back in line compared to other prog guys (and Saga is ending, while Eloy, Kraftwerk and Hawkwind are still truckin').

yeah. But Saga only recently called it quits. Who knows, they will return.
On the other hand, 40 years in the same band, touring and recording is quite something!

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 10:29
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Jon Field - Jade Warrior
Alex Lifeson - Rush

Alex has guested on a few albums by other artists (I Mother Earth, Platinum Blonde, Gowan, Tom Cochrane, Porcupine Tree, and more recently on new albums by Marco Minnemann and Fu Manchu), and he's recorded some one-off tunes as a member of the Big Dirty Band and Bubbles & The Sh*t Rockers.

-------------

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 10:43

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Jon Field - Jade Warrior
Alex Lifeson - Rush

Alex has guested on a few albums by other artists (I Mother Earth, Platinum Blonde, Gowan, Tom Cochrane, Porcupine Tree, and more recently on new albums by Marco Minnemann and Fu Manchu), and he's recorded some one-off tunes as a member of the Big Dirty Band and Bubbles & The Sh*t Rockers.

He also released a side/solo album under the name Victor about 20 years back with the singer from I Mother Earth.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk