Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113943
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 14:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Genesis vs. Yes (Drums!!)
Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Subject: Genesis vs. Yes (Drums!!)
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 22:13
Which drummer of the classic era ( I am excluding Alan White because he didn't play on most of the albums) do you prefer more?? 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 22:23
Love Bruford’s drumming, love Phil’s more !!

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 22:41
Phil is great, but Bill is the best drummer in the world!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 17 2018 at 23:07
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Which drummer of the classic era ( I am excluding Alan White because he didn't play on most of the albums) do you prefer more?? 

Actually White played on more albums than Bill. 

No vote, I can't choose, I cannot vote against Bill and I cannot vote against Phil. 

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 02:40
The one with hair

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 02:46
^ this guy? LOL

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 02:55
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Love Bruford’s drumming, love Phil’s more !!

Nailed it Tom.
Pretty even skills-wise methinks (most folks probably laugh at such a statement and yet have never heard Brand X). I just prefer Collins' style.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 03:19
Bruford is technically a very good drummer, but he tends to play in a style I really don't like (too jazz influenced).

Collins is less flashy but so precise and so in tune with his band mates.

It's like comparing Allan Holdsworth and Steve Hackett: Holdsworth is technical perfection, but Hackett makes far better music (for me).

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 03:21
Bill Bruford is my favorite drummer.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 03:23
I really like both styles. Collins is definitely next after Bill when I am ranking drummers, like his style much more than Neil Peart style although he´s really great too.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 04:51
Like both, but my vote goes to Bill.

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 05:17
My vote, Bruford.  Collins is very good but Bruford is one of those rare, special talents.

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 05:20
next we'll probably have vocalists and then keyboardists, that's gonna be interesting to see LOL

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 05:53
^I'm ready lol.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 06:29
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

next we'll probably have vocalists and then keyboardists, that's gonna be interesting to see LOL

perhaps with the keyboardists we'll get the bagel that some fool denied us in the bassist category.  Most thinkers, not the fanboys, should fully realize that Banks was the musical weak link of that group.  Rutherford was decent,  Hatchett fully capable but CRIMINANALLY underused, Collins talented enough I suppose, but Banks... urgggg...

anywho.. for this one... not the Bruford idolizer some are. I don't think Yes were THAT unhappy to see him go for his limitations as drummer which White was able to fill.

So a draw.. and no vote.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 06:46
Collins by a thin margin !

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 07:42

Exactly, White played on more Yes albums than Bruford.

To the question, both Collins and Bruford are great drummers, but my vote goes to Bruford.
Not only for his work with Yes, but also how he played for King Crimson, and also his solo works.
There is also a recording where he played with Genesis, where I could hear that I like his drumming style more than that of Collins, because of the jazzy vibe he added to the songs.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 07:45
^ Collins sited at some point that Mahavishnu Orchestra was an influence on him and he tried to bring that into Genesis. 
Don't forget about Brand X...

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 07:53

^ Collins sited at some point that Mahavishnu Orchestra was an influence on him and he tried to bring that into Genesis. 
Don't forget about Brand X...

I did not forget about Brand X. I did not say that Collins cannot play jazz/rock/fusion. He is a good drummer and can play everything.
It is just that he is no contest to the jazz/rock that Bill Bruford plays with Earthworks or his collaborations with Patrick Moraz and many others.
Plus he added something special to the Genesis songs when he played on them.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 08:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

perhaps with the keyboardists we'll get the bagel that some fool denied us in the bassist category.  Most thinkers, not the fanboys, should fully realize that Banks was the musical weak link of that group.  Rutherford was decent,  Hatchett fully capable but CRIMINANALLY underused, Collins talented enough I suppose, but Banks... urgggg...

anywho.. for this one... not the Bruford idolizer some are. I don't think Yes were THAT unhappy to see him go for his limitations as drummer which White was able to fill.

So a draw.. and no vote.

"Banks was the musical weak link of that group"

Horsesh*t. Utter complete horsesh*t. 

Banks may have been quite an unpleasant and domineering personality, but his musical talent is undeniable. And I'm no Genesis fanboy.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 08:35
Bill is one of a kindWink

and he plays like the song is all about him
Phil is just as good in a different kind of way and blends more with the song---
Phil picked Bill to replace him in Genesis

voted Bill

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 09:31

So a draw.. and no vote.

Methinks Phil a GREAT drummer--always love his work on any and every project he ever contributed to (and I collected them all!) 

But Bill stands out for me because he stands out. He doesn't just fill and keep (odd) time. He creates a musical line that seems to be reacting to and thinking about music as if from another dimension, another perspective, almost like a West African musician. When I drum, I find myself playing like Bill: drawn to explore rhythms that are not naturally heard within the other musicians' play; I hear hits in the spaces or off-beats, like Bill and Steve Jansen and Mark Heron and, to a lesser degree, Huxflux Nettermalm. These are the kind of drummers that make my soul sing with joy and adoration!  

(Sorry to wax a little too rhapsodic there, but we are talking about the core of what I love about progressive rock music: the exceptional; the idiosyncratic; those beings serving a stream of consciousness outside of the ordinary.)

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 10:10
Actually I think Alan White played on as many Yes records as Bill Bruford(if not more during the 70's). Bruford left relatively early on imo. However, the classic period and arguably the pinnacle of the band was when he was still with them.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 12:36
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

So a draw.. and no vote.

Methinks Phil a GREAT drummer--always love his work on any and every project he ever contributed to (and I collected them all!) 

But Bill stands out for me because he stands out. He doesn't just fill and keep (odd) time. He creates a musical line that seems to be reacting to and thinking about music as if from another dimension, another perspective, almost like a West African musician. When I drum, I find myself playing like Bill: drawn to explore rhythms that are not naturally heard within the other musicians' play; I hear hits in the spaces or off-beats, like Bill and Steve Jansen and Mark Heron and, to a lesser degree, Huxflux Nettermalm. These are the kind of drummers that make my soul sing with joy and adoration!  

(Sorry to wax a little too rhapsodic there, but we are talking about the core of what I love about progressive rock music: the exceptional; the idiosyncratic; those beings serving a stream of consciousness outside of the ordinary.)

Wonderfully stated! I also voted for Bill for very much the same reasons.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

This^

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 13:10
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Well obviously, but I suppose the point was the classic era as defined by the topic's starter. White played on a ton of Yes albums, but Yes classics? 

I can stretch the classic Yes period going from The Yes Album to Going For The One, and that makes it 3-3, but maybe he values the first two albums more.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 13:16
Subjectively, I prefer 'Collins' but have to admit that 'Bruford' may have the technical edge. On saying that, was there much between them when they both played together on the 'Trick of The Tail' tour? Both exceptional talents.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 13:28
Bill Bruford.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:15

So a draw.. and no vote.

well elocuted Drew.  I can't disagree with anything you wrote there.  I think highly of each, which is why I took a no vote on this one, which would be the Yes-Genesis matchup I'd rate a draw.   However I think neither really is a patch on Palmer who is in my mind the pinnacle of prog drumming.  Heard on many 70's boots... Carl Palmer.. best drummer in the world. Damn right he was. Perfect chemistry of pure talent, speed, stylistic diversity, composing ability, and his ace in the whole .. pushing the boundries.. not just a basher.. but an innovator.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:19
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

This^

High-five!

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:49
No "both" option? Bill can play literally anything and I'll love it. Phil's verve is on point. Without PhilBill, the world of drumming would be SO much poorer! On that we all agree. 

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 18 2018 at 21:39

So a draw.. and no vote.

well elocuted Drew.  I can't disagree with anything you wrote there.  I think highly of each, which is why I took a no vote on this one, which would be the Yes-Genesis matchup I'd rate a draw.   However I think neither really is a patch on Palmer who is in my mind the pinnacle of prog drumming.  Heard on many 70's boots... Carl Palmer.. best drummer in the world. Damn right he was. Perfect chemistry of pure talent, speed, stylistic diversity, composing ability, and his ace in the whole .. pushing the boundries.. not just a basher.. but an innovator.

I do love Carl Palmer's drumming too. Actually, for me, I would put him there next to Bruford, and indeed am annoyed that Palmer is usually overlooked around here, specially compared to Bruford... I really don't know whom I would choose between them. Between Bruford and Collins I go with Bruford, even if I find Collins great too, of course.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 01:57
This poll should really be Alan White versus Phil Collins, in which case Phil Collins wins easily, but you can't vote against Bill Bruford who's a superb drummer and actually pretty close to Phil Collins style of drumming (Chester Thompson versus Bill Bruford would be an interesting contest as well).

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 02:02
^ I guess the poll is about Bill's drumming in yes vs Phil's drumming in Genesis. 
I also think the poll creator does not know White played on more Yes albums than Bill. I may be wrong. :)

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 02:18
There's no doubting Brufords skill, but of all those top drummers; Collins, Palmer, Bonham, Peart etc I would say Bruford is my least favourite.

He can be too jazzy for me at time. Phil Collins gets the vote here, he plays with a precission and warmth that seems to compliment the music better. I've always loved his unmistakable drum sound too. His playing from A Trick of the Tail to Duke inclusive, is some of the best rock fusion drumming I've heard.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 05:26
Really tough call!
Today it's Bruford.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 06:59
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Bill is one of a kindWink

and he plays like the song is all about him
Phil is just as good in a different kind of way and blends more with the song---
Phil picked Bill to replace him in Genesis

voted Bill

I'm reading Phil's autobiography at the moment and it turns out Phil didn't technically pick anyone to replace him. Phil and Bill are actually good friends and Phil was contemplating how he he would sing and drum at the same time for the Trick of the Tail tour. Bill, hearing this and not tied down to any projects at the time, offered his services and Phil took him up on this offer. Phil thought Bill did an admirable job, but it sounds like Tony and Mike had problems with Bill wanting to mix it up at every show and play some part a bit different. Bill left after the tour to work on his solo stuff. Phil did pick Chester after hearing Chester's work on some of Frank Zappa's stuff.

There is footage of both Bruford and Collins playing together here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0hmpZRFPM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0hmpZRFPM

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 07:09
In addition to Brand X, Collins also drummed in the Phil Collins Big Band which rearranged Collins solo and Genesis songs into big band format, chiefly influenced by Buddy Rich. Their rendition of "Los Endos" is pretty good. Quincy Jones, and even Tony Bennett were involved at some point. In Collins' autobiography, he credits Sonny Payne as a big influence on him. 

See:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5UslpgPUA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5UslpgPUA

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 07:20
Hi,

My thoughts are that Phil stopped drumming much too soon to be able to be in a comparison show. But doing two jobs in a major band, was not conducive to his being able to concentrate on drumming, is the way I thought this went down.

Bill is likely the better of the two, given that he went on to King Crimson and even doing some very nice, and different things, later in his career whereas you look at Phil and it was just another song, and the drumming was not even interesting to my ears. And at least two of those albums by King Crimson are still considered some of the best work it has ever done ... and a staple in their shows ... Red and Starless and Bible Black. On top of Fragile and CTTE, this would make Bill a much more important drummer, than Phil.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 07:41
I'm a drummer & a big fan of both players. 
Very different styles with Bruford bring more jazzy & Phil more in your face.
I went with Phil  but you can make a case for either.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 08:07

So a draw.. and no vote.

Banks the weak link? Definitely not---on the classic period--he is the heart of Genesis and Hackett the soul--or the other way around depending. And from all I read Yes were pretty upset over Bill leaving---but Alan did a great job on so many levels.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 08:23
It's actually really close but c'mon. It's Bill Bruford.

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 08:29

^ I guess the poll is about Bill's drumming in yes vs Phil's drumming in Genesis. 
I also think the poll creator does not know White played on more Yes albums than Bill. I may be wrong. :)
I believe you're wrong, since he's specifically talking about the classic era of Yes, which, anyway you look at it, includes very little of White's overall work with Yes.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 09:07
No Alan White or Chester Thompson?? Cry

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 12:08
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Correct, No Alan White.  But Chester Thompson (imo) is better than both Collins or Bruford.

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 15:11
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

It's like comparing Allan Holdsworth and Steve Hackett: Holdsworth is technical perfection, but Hackett makes far better music (for me).
Well put. 

-------------
-John

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 21:56
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Well obviously, but I suppose the point was the classic era as defined by the topic's starter. White played on a ton of Yes albums, but Yes classics? 

I can stretch the classic Yes period going from The Yes Album to Going For The One, and that makes it 3-3, but maybe he values the first two albums more.

I consider the first 2 Yes albums Yes classics. That's just my take though LOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: February 19 2018 at 21:59

Sorry bro. I wanted to pin the classic lineups against each other

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 01:43

No Alan White or Chester Thompson??

but Bill left Yes in 1972 if I remember right...

Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 02:55

No Alan White or Chester Thompson??

but Bill left Yes in 1972 if I remember right...

Yes   

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 12:42
Love both, gotta go Bruf. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 20 2018 at 14:06
Hard (for me) to concentrate more than 30 seconds on Bruford's playing.

Phil is just perfect for this retarded (me).

-------------

Date Posted: March 15 2018 at 00:33
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

So a draw.. and no vote.

Banks the weak link? Definitely not---on the classic period--he is the heart of Genesis and Hackett the soul--or the other way around depending. And from all I read Yes were pretty upset over Bill leaving---but Alan did a great job on so many levels.

Hatchett LOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: March 15 2018 at 16:35
BB over PC

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com