Print Page | Close Window

Is Prog fan base getting older and older?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113971
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 23:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is Prog fan base getting older and older?
Posted By: fredyair
Subject: Is Prog fan base getting older and older?
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:28
When I attend prog gigs I notice that the average attendant is about my age, fifties, mostly guys and a few ladies, my wife occasionally goes depending on the show. Are we a dying breed?

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Replies:
Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:30
Most of the fans of classic prog are old farts (like me.)

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:35
Last time I saw Yes was probably the first gig I've been to where the queue for the gents was longer than the queue for the ladies.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:40
It depends on the gig. Go see some classic band from the 70s/80s and you're bound to end up with the majority of attendees being over 50. On the other hand, buy tickets to a Dungen/Battles/Kayo Dot/elephant9/insert newer band(and or newer style of prog) and the kiddies come out to play.
Old people tend to favour old music just like younger people mostly go for the newer stuff. PA is a rare exception where you come across teenagers who are into the older bands...and a few older guys digging the contemporary sounds.

Seems pretty logical to me.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:44
I think fans of music from that era are getting older in general ( 70's rock, prog, Classic rock, whatever)
I know some younger people have discovered it but I would assume the vast majority of prog fans are people that grew up with it (Like any other kind of music)

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:45
I am actually getting younger every day. 

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:19
I know some young progfans here Finland. Of course not many. Mostly progfans here are older than I.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:27
I guess a lot of young people like prog, but with the concert prices these days, many of them cannot afford to go to a show. It's the older fans, who have better jobs and don't mind spending $200 on a ticket to see a band they like, the ones you will see on a concert.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:32
All fan bases are getting older.......

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:35
LOL

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

This is correct, and the dr beat me to it! Wink

I'd say overall, appreciation for classic 70's progressive rock is less and less for the younger crowd. I was 20 when I got into Yes, and I just turned 30 this year. It was cool amongst my college friends and bandmates to hit up the record stores and scoop up the back catalogs of all these killer bands!

Now when I ask peers if they like progressive music, they almost always assume/link me to some sub-par extreme djent-core stuff.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:49
^To me it seems music isn´t really even near as important to today´s youth as it was my youth.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It depends on the gig. Go see some classic band from the 70s/80s and you're bound to end up with the majority of attendees being over 50. On the other hand, buy tickets to a Dungen/Battles/Kayo Dot/elephant9/insert newer band(and or newer style of prog) and the kiddies come out to play.
Old people tend to favour old music just like younger people mostly go for the newer stuff. PA is a rare exception where you come across teenagers who are into the older bands...and a few older guys digging the contemporary sounds.

This is certainly true, I've seen Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Bent Knee, MUSE, Chelsea Wolfe and the demographic was distinctly younger that the Hackett, Yes, Roger Waters crowds.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:23
I remember going to a Yes concert in New Orleans back when it was still part of the Louisiana Purchase.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:26
I think that I was at that show too!!!

-------------

Posted By: ReactioninG
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:48
I got into Prog when I was 12 and now I'm 30. Oldness happened. But maybe members of the younger generations somewhere are listening to the prog bands on Spotify or something  for the first time at this very moment.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:59
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^To me it seems music isn´t really even near as important to today´s youth as it was my youth.

I think it's just oversaturation - kids these days seem to be wearing headphones 24/7 if they can. Of course, if you have a choice of millions of artists anywhere you are, it's really not as special as back in the day where you'd have to pick and choose a few albums and wait until you get home to listen to it. At least that's what one of my music teachers theorized (makes sense though).

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 11:45
I guess another way to look at the original question is:

When a prog fan dies of old age, is there a young prog fan stepping in to take their place?  I'd guess no, so the fan base average age continues to get higher Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 12:26
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

[QUOTE=Mortte] it's really not as special as back in the day where you'd have to pick and choose a few albums and wait until you get home to listen to it. At least that's what one of my music teachers theorized (makes sense though).

I've thought similarly many times. I'm thankful to have been a teenager when physical media was still a requirement, and you couldn't just download. You had to go to the store. Wait for it to come out, get to the store, get it home, whole different experience.

One isn't better than the other, just different.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 12:59

This pretty much sums it for me as well. That's not to say it's written in stone and that there are no exceptions to the rule but generally speaking this seems to be the case more times than not. Also, to some degree it depends on the band and the exposure the band gets in the mainstream. For example Rush and Pink Floyd both seem to have a lot of younger fans(I'm talking about really big fans too not just casual ones). When I saw Roger Waters last year there were plenty of people in their twenties and thirties there. It would actually be hard to pinpoint the average age since there were so many people of varying ages. With Rush it was also true but with probably less women(although to be fair I do feel they have made strides in that dept). Wink For whatever reason, Yes, on the other hand doesn't seem to have nearly as many younger fans. There seems to be a few here and there but the last few times I've seen them it seemed like there were very few people there under 40(heck even under 50). Genesis seems to have a rather mixed fanbase as well with quite a few women in attendance(when I saw them)but I'm guessing most of the women(not to sound sexist here so please don't get angry)and most of the younger fans are mostly in it for the later pop stuff. Then you have a band like Ozric Tentacles who have several older fans(late forties and fifties on up)and lot's of younger fans. The older fans seem to be the prog heads while most of the younger fans probably got into them through them also being sometimes labelled a jam band(just a guess here). Porcupine Tree have or had a lot of younger fans but it seems to me that most of them got into the band through their Opeth/Mikael and metal connections. 

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 13:03
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I guess another way to look at the original question is:

When a prog fan dies of old age, is there a young prog fan stepping in to take their place?  I'd guess no, so the fan base average age continues to get higher Wink

I think a big part of this puzzle has just as much to do with the average age of the musicians. WHen the older prog musicians die what will the younger ones sound like? Symphonic prog already seems to be getting more rare and I doubt many younger bands are playing it. So maybe most of the younger bands and fans will be shifting more to metal and post rock which I get the sense is already happening.

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 13:28
I think most of the older bands that still appeal to the younger crowd do so not because they are prog, but because the band went above and beyond the prog sticker....like the Floyd...who to some never really was a prog band. There's been many folks on PA expressing exactly that. Ask a Floyd fan under 25 about prog and you'll most likely get a 'huh?' look right back atcha.
The up and coming bands that share some form of success in today's music scene, that also happen to be listed on PA, are not really known as prog rock to the general consumer. Experimental rock/post-something/metal/avantguardista and so forth are more oftenly monikers associated with such acts.

In the case the OP is referring to prog like in the classic prog sound, then think about how long it's been since a symph prog band made a hit record or just one that resonated broadly amongst the younger crowd. Yep. You'd have to fly back to 1976.
Does that mean the rest of us can't enjoy the music? Thankfully no

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 14:04
[Ask a Floyd fan under 25 about prog and you'll most likely get a 'huh?' look right back atcha]

I think for 99 percent of them that's the case but then there's the one percent(at the most) who maybe got into prog through Floyd. I know there are several on here like that. Then there's also fans who somehow discovered prog maybe through prog metal or something then discovered Pink Floyd or Rush(who they were already fans of) are often labelled prog and got into prog that way. Yes, I realize those are the exception and not the rule. Smile

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 14:39
The other day, I saw a young fella in at my work doing the shopping with his mother. He would’ve been around 17, and wearing a Floyd shirt of The Wall. I said I dig his shirt, and he thanked me and said   “ Floyd are cool, I really love ‘Stoner’ “. He was familiar with WYWH and Animals !! Point is, many of the younger generation aren’t really aware of the term ‘Prog’.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 14:57
Yes it is.

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 15:01
I was recently in a non prog environment where I was talking a little bit to a guy who happens to be a local musician. I thought he said he was 31 but I can't remember for sure now. Anyway, out of curiosity I asked him if he knew the term prog and he said something like "yeah, isn't that like Rush?" I didn't press on further but mentioned that PF are considered prog too. For some reason I didn't continue much with that particular conversation or try to "school" him about prog. There was another guy at the same place(maybe in his early or mid fifties)who's favorite band is Yes and he unsurprisingly knew a bit more about prog but still not really what I would call a huge prog head(just mainly the most well known seventies bands and not a whole lot beyond that). 

These days I think it's mixed. While there's a lot of people who aren't even necessarily prog fans who know what it is(yes even younger people)there's probably just as many who don't. However, I think most people who spend a good amount of time looking up music stuff on the computer probably at least know what prog is(eve if they aren't into it)regardless of age.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 15:22
Getting serious for a moment......almost everyone (make that everyone) I know that's into prog rock are already older guys. I tried to get my son in law, age 36, into prog rock but he doesn't seem interested.
The young man (age 24) who works for me likes a few prog bands he's heard but he's not really into prog per se. 
The youngest prog head  I know is 50...the rest are in their mid to late sixties.

I did introduce a lady friend who is 37 to Porcupine Tree and Wilson and now she's a huge fan of them and I burned quite a few prog things for her from other bands both known and obscure...and though she says she likes most of it she seems to be only interested in Wilson's material.

I have a few patient's that are into prog and they are all old farts like me. I am often surprised how many young people are on this forum that are into various prog bands.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 15:35
My son who is a musician/producer says that most of his contemporaries discover prog through tech metal/math rock route; I took him and some of his mates to see Rush and Hawkwind and although initially I think they were a bit bemused, they certainly started to explore whats out there. My son and I fairly regularly have sessions where we listen to some of my old lps and he is pretty astounded by what he hears- it may not be to his personal taste but he is amazed that this music was ever made and the discipline and ingenuity that went into it with the technology that was available then. It may not all be to his taste but he has developed a hefty respect for those artists and bands that went before.

We oldies are just getting older and we cant halt time. that's just the way it is. Hopefully, a younger generation is at least seeing and respecting the effort, strength of will and pure inventiveness that went into a lot of music from the 60's, 70's and 80's and using that as a springboard to create new music..

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 17:02
older an older.. yet better and better haha. My ass hasn't starting sagging yet and my legs will stop 20 year old strippers in their tracks (until they see my face at least hahah).

Oh what was the topic. Let me guess without bothering to read.  However some are trapped by nostalgia.. look at the idiocy we see in polls here.  Yet advancing age does not have to mean one is stuck in the past.  Open ones eyes.. and see today's progressive scene rivals... tops I'd argue.. the classic prog scene of the 70's.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 18:20
Of course first and second gen proggies are getting older but frankly it seems the 'new' fanbase, if such a thing exists, is actually getting younger .

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 19:46
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Of course first and second gen proggies are getting older but frankly it seems the 'new' fanbase, if such a thing exists, is actually getting younger .

If such a thing exists? Yeah, all these young people who listen to Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Opeth, Haken etc only refer to themselves as metal fans because none of them know what prog is. Tongue

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 20:20
Post-rock is THE new genre. In my opinion, it is the most promising, and it is still fairly new, so it could expand and expand and expand.

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 21:08
Haven't listened to much post-rock, but GY!BE just turned me right off the whole genre. Maybe it's just them, but I found it way too ambient and boring. A bit of ambience is nice, but a whole album of it? No thank you.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 22:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

If such a thing exists? Yeah, all these young people who listen to Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Opeth, Haken etc only refer to themselves as metal fans because none of them know what prog is. Tongue

I was commenting more on the status of progressive rock rather than the existence of a young fanbase.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 00:27

I think it's just oversaturation - kids these days seem to be wearing headphones 24/7 if they can. Of course, if you have a choice of millions of artists anywhere you are, it's really not as special as back in the day where you'd have to pick and choose a few albums and wait until you get home to listen to it. At least that's what one of my music teachers theorized (makes sense though).
I think quite many young people of today music is just the back of doing something else in the internet. In my youth - no internet, no playstations etc. Commandore 64 become in the eighties, I used it, but never had it on my own, also music was a lot more interesting to me. Still I enjoy much more to pick few great powerchords from the guitar than sitting and staring the screen.

But yes, when you hadn´t got the endless collection as today´s people have, you also listened those few ten albums much more and really found out how great they were!

Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 02:22
I agree with whomever asserted most kids these days associate prog = metal bands.

This has been happening for about a decade here in New England. We even have the NE Hardcore and Metal Fest yearly. Lots of "progressive" acts on that bill.

Most kids think Mastodon is the top of the heap, and bands like Rush and Yes were just primitive attempts at being heavy and brutal, but from the 70's! LOL

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 06:17
Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

I got into Prog when I was 12 and now I'm 30. Oldness happened. But maybe members of the younger generations somewhere are listening to the prog bands on Spotify or something  for the first time at this very moment.

Oldness hasn't happened to you yet...

30 is very young for a prog rock fan. I'm going to see King Crimson in November with my girlfriend. I've warned her we would be among the youngest people there, and we're 50!

We went to see Kyros last year; a young prog band from the UK, probably in their late 20's. The audience looked like a combination of their dads and uncles...

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 06:49
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

Post-rock is THE new genre. In my opinion, it is the most promising, and it is still fairly new, so it could expand and expand and expand.

Mmmh really? I found out about post rock in some cool radio shows in the mid 1990s, and in my perception, these cool shows have long moved on to newer more or less (!) exciting things (or are not cool anymore ;-) ).
Post rock has produced the odd classic that hopefully won't be forgotten and still has some potential in my view, but as a trend it is on a downward trajectory for quite some time.  

Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 06:58
What I like about this whole discussion is that at least still there is influx of young new fans for this music that is almost 50 years old now. When I really started to get into music about 1980 I wouldn't give a toss about anything done between 1930 and 1960, say, perhaps except the odd "modern classic" composer such as Ligeti. I appreciate musicians like Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonius Monk now bit still prog looks much more alive now than whatever one would deem the analogous "thing from the past" in those days except jazz which is still going about as strong as prog or even stronger.

Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 07:00

Haven't listened to much post-rock, but GY!BE just turned me right off the whole genre. Maybe it's just them, but I found it way too ambient and boring. A bit of ambience is nice, but a whole album of it? No thank you.
That was my exact same feeling about them.  When I first came to PA GY!BE were all the rage so I had to check them out.  One of my bigger disappointments since I have come to PA.  That being said, I actually did enjoy most of their most recent album.

-------------

Posted By: progoma
Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 07:19
I guess I lower the age average in here a bit with my 24 years.

Since I discovered prog 3 years ago, I have listened almost exclusively to bands associated, one way or another, with this genre. I listen more to bands from the last 20 years or so (favorites include Porcupine Tree, Motorpsycho, The Mars Volta etc.), but I also love many of the more classic prog bands, such as Soft Machine and King Crimson (seeing the latter live in July!).

I think out of all my friends and acquaintances only 2 are into prog. My impression is that 95% of people my age have no idea what prog is, or even that such music exists. It's a lonely obsession... This forum helps :)  

Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 07:40

I was commenting more on the status of progressive rock rather than the existence of a young fanbase.

Well, other than a few bands who get labelled prog such as Muse or Radiohead or whoever, prog isn't mainstream. It's still underground. I suppose that's not news to most of us here though. Tongue

Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 07:57
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

What I like about this whole discussion is that at least still there is influx of young new fans for this music that is almost 50 years old now. When I really started to get into music about 1980 I wouldn't give a toss about anything done between 1930 and 1960, say, perhaps except the odd "modern classic" composer such as Ligeti. I appreciate musicians like Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonius Monk now bit still prog looks much more alive now than whatever one would deem the analogous "thing from the past" in those days except jazz which is still going about as strong as prog or even stronger.

Revisiting what I just wrote, I'm actually curious whether you think jazz does better than prog in rejuvenating its fanbase and keeping up with the times?

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 07:58
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

That was my exact same feeling about them.  When I first came to PA GY!BE were all the rage so I had to check them out.  One of my bigger disappointments since I have come to PA.  That being said, I actually did enjoy most of their most recent album.

GY!BE is one of my favorites, if only for their masterpiece album... Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is one of the best albums EVER.

I suggest you just try and sit through it one more time. Hopefully, it will click at around 11 at night.

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 08:07

IF you take away the rap .... stuff is as important today to them as it was important to us THEN ... just a different "stage" ... in general the older folks get sent out to the pasture, you know?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 09:23
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

When I attend prog gigs I notice that the average attendant is about my age, fifties, mostly guys and a few ladies, my wife occasionally goes depending on the show. Are we a dying breed?

Well before being a dying breed, we're first an endangered specie.... Ouch

Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 10:19
How many bands from the 70s are still popular today regardless of genre?
How many of these appeal to young people?
Did the 1970s youth listen to much music from the 1930s?

I think most people fall in love with music from their own generation. Every time I am invited somewhere new I instantly go for the in-house music collection (and books), because it is the easiest way for me to break the ice. Most oftenly I find music that corresponds with the owner's age - again regardless of genres. If there's old school stuff to be found, there is a very good chance we're talking classic rock/pop albums.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 21:30

Revisiting what I just wrote, I'm actually curious whether you think jazz does better than prog in rejuvenating its fanbase and keeping up with the times?

I was born in 79, and most of the music of "my time" I guess would be music from the 90's, and even 80's. But I do love music from the 70's and 60's... however, I really am not interested in music from the 30's to 50's (though perhaps I should check out for any good stuff, but somehow I guess it would be the odd one out). Still, I do remember from class mates and so on, music from the 60's, and even more so, 70's, was actually mostly apreciated, as the classics (though not much prog, anyway... still I barely knew about music back then, and even less so about prog).

Date Posted: February 22 2018 at 22:58
In the begin of eighties I really wasn´t interested a music of my own time, found those plastic sounds of Wham an others really awful. It was the time when I found prog, before that listened 60-70 rock, Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, the Who, Creedence, Lynyrd, Allman etc. Naturally it had something to do about my older brothers who also listened those. But when speedmetal came, I also joined to youthcultur of that day. Also when I got friends from the speedmetal listeners, few of them start to listen older music when I gave them examples what to listen. 

Also, there was a period in the very beginning of eighties when my brother was a part of fifties movement. So I also listened fifties music then and I still love Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent and Johnny Burnette.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 19:51
Getting older? GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN!

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Pigwheeler
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 20:29
No

Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 20:30
Younger generations are probably starting to appreciate modern prog more than older prog though 

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 20:50
What is remarkable to me is that ANY young fans get into prog from the 1970s! 

The music is over 40 years old.  When I was in college, listening to CTTE etc., I would have been kicked out of the room had I tried to play music that was 40 years old (1930's vintage).  Some of that was very good (big band jazz, primitive blues etc) but we didn't sit around and listen to it!  

I listen for progressive influences in modern music, and there are quite a few if you look hard enough.  

However, the modern stage spectacles of twitching, twerking dancers detracts from my enjoyment of the music, if that is even possible!  I quite like acts like Lady GaGa, but the emphasis upon dance is rather annoying to me.  

Then again, I'm a guitarist. 

No problem at all with bands like Muse, Tool etc., they carry the torch of the 70s. 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 21:13
Originally posted by Pigwheeler Pigwheeler wrote:

Younger generations are probably starting to appreciate modern prog more than older prog though 

Yep. But you would think most of them would discover Yes, Genesis, ELP, Gentle Giant and other older bands soon after getting into prog through prog metal or whatever way most younger people are getting into it these days.

Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 23:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The music is over 40 years old.  When I was in college, listening to CTTE etc., I would have been kicked out of the room had I tried to play music that was 40 years old (1930's vintage).  Some of that was very good (big band jazz, primitive blues etc) but we didn't sit around and listen to it!  

I listen for progressive influences in modern music, and there are quite a few if you look hard enough.  

However, the modern stage spectacles of twitching, twerking dancers detracts from my enjoyment of the music, if that is even possible!  I quite like acts like Lady GaGa, but the emphasis upon dance is rather annoying to me.  

No problem at all with bands like Muse, Tool etc., they carry the torch of the 70s.

I think the 70s was simply a special time for rock music (prog or not), whereas in the 30s it just didn't exist. Just like classically trained musicians aren't going to forget about Bach, Mozart or Beethoven anytime soon, I think rock musicians are going to remember the greats from the late 60s and 70s for quite a long time.

I also think things are just slowing down in the world of rock music... like people still hail Tool as one of today's modern prog bands, even though they've been around for a good quarter of a century. I mean, 70s prog bands were considered dinosaurs in the late 70s (not to mention that many of the bands were to release more great albums in half a decade each than Tool ever has). So that 40 year gap means less going from today to the 70s than from the 70s to the 30s.

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:35
^I agree totally. I think there happened something really special in 60-70ties, that has not happen as great ever since. At least the new bands I think are great have a lots of influences from that period and really big revolutionary changes in pop music hadn´t happened after seventies (even hip hop born in the end of seventies).

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:10

Old people tend to favour old music just like younger people mostly go for the newer stuff.
You right, in general. But I was a teenager in te 1980s, in the Soviet Union (dark nightmare). And the favorute bands for me and for my friends was Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson and Van Der Graaf Generator. Now I'm old hag, and I still love prog rock. And I grow up with it.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 05:28
Obviously, most of prog fans nowadays are up 50 years old , but in fact I know lots of new prog fans under 30 years old. I believe which Progressive Music is the Classical Music of 20 century and like as traditional classic music tends to rejuvenates their public. 
The quality of composition and musicians is almost a guarantee of this renovation !

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 07:05
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

Obviously, most of prog fans nowadays are up 50 years old , but in fact I know lots of new prog fans under 30 years old. I believe which Progressive Music is the Classical Music of 20 century and like as traditional classic music tends to rejuvenates their public. 
The quality of composition and musicians is almost a guarantee of this renovation !
I'm not sure. Prog is the music of another era, and we lost the spirit of that time.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 15:53

Originally posted by Pigwheeler Pigwheeler wrote:

Yep. But you would think most of them would discover Yes, Genesis, ELP, Gentle Giant and other older bands soon after getting into prog through prog metal or whatever way most younger people are getting into it these days.

Correct! 

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 16:26

It's a bit different though because we are at least talking about the same genre here. Were you listening to seventies big bands in college? I don't think big band was even an active genre thirty years later unless you count one of those Frank Zappa albums. LOL The Grand Wazoo was it? Even that was a bit different. Tongue

Even so I get where you're coming from though. I think the younger generation wants to listen to what is current and hip for the most part. However, some of them do like classic rock so here's the trick. You find the ones who like classic rock and modern prog but haven't discovered classic prog yet. Actually, if that's the case I think it's only a matter of time before they discover "the usual suspects." 

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 16:26
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

Well before being a dying breed, we're first an endangered specie.... Ouch

LOLLOL...Ermm...Cry

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 17:05
Yes, the base is getting older - but all music genres are too (look at some of the old punk rockers at some reunion gigs in cities up and down the country). Each picks up younger, enlightened recruits, but they will never compensate for most of us growing older and sadly some of us passing on. The audience for the classic prog bands can be depressingly grey, balding, rounded, slower walking and still predominately male (although I do think some of our wives or partners now join us more to see what our obsession is all about - my wife will seeing Camel for the first time later this year, for example)

Where I do have faith that prog will continue beyond the next couple of decades, is the support we give to those younger prog or post-rock bands to keep going and at least break even financially. We have a duty to allow this generation to prosper, so they can have a chance to catch and keep younger fans, who will then appreciate the modern and classic and see the strengths in both. Hoping to see a much younger audience soon when I watch Steven Wilson or even Marillion in the next month or so.

In the end though, it will all fade, sadly - so let's enjoy it while we can. I can dream that in several hundred years' time a young couple will discover a dusty old slab of vinyl and hear a song called Supper's Ready, Close to the Edge or Thick as a Brick for the first time, and love them like we did - as we might have done yourselves with Mozart. Beethoven or Mahler etc. from centuries earlier ourselves.

...you think that might be an idea for an album concept for the likes of Rush or Dream Theater?   

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 18:50
I know an 8 year old kid and a 60 year old man, who both listen to medieval era classical music (as do I) - neither know each other or are related. 

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 18:56
I sat next to a pretty old guy at a prog concert once, and it was something like ten years ago.

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 21:31
Prog fans come in all ages though. Stereotyping really does none of us good. I talked to a guy in 2000 at a prog festival who said he was 51. That would make him in his upper sixties now. Also, my brother told me a while back that his son has a friend(probably the same age as his son so around 16 maybe) who is into prog but my brother insisted that it's newer non prog metal bands. I can't think of any popular newer non metal prog bands but he really insisted and I didn't want to go around in circles arguing with him. Lol.

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 22:05
Don't you think the nature of society being entirely nostalgic, as being sort of contradictory to this thread? 

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 23:22
I don´t think nature of society´s is automatically nostalgic. I think it´s more that cultures have their ups and downs. In popular music culture up has been in the sixties and seventies and now we are going down, maybe it is not going up anymore, but coming some other culture form that will come up. But I think when men come older, they become nostalgic. When you have lived quite many years, you just want to remember the great moments in your life. The present life just mostly isn´t full of great moments.

Also, one thing I think why now seem to be a lot of nostalgia in our time is that really big speed of development in many areas in today´s world. I have read somewhere that this all technical and also all kind development is much more faster than evolution, so our brains are in big trouble with all this information and big changes coming every day. So I think nostalgia brings us at least feelings of safety in the middle of this all mess.

Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 07:56
Hi,

I'm inclined to think that it has ALWAYS been like that.

During the 60's there was (still) an appreciation for classical music, and many artists were touring and people were seeing them, and catching many of them was not easy, as the tickets were gone fast. But, it was clear that a lot of the musicians were "fading" and that the experiments were getting far more attention than the intricate details of Rimsky-Korsakoff's 79th Piano Concerto in Z-Minor!

All of a sudden, the wails and movements of Robert Plant on stage were much more fun to watch and interesting, when compared to the blaze and sometimes very boring classical music contingent. And the light shows, though cheap and poop'y in the extreme, was still way better than what they gave Andres Segovia, or Misha, or Nureyev. And you don't even want to discuss Maria, or Pavarotti's lighting ... it was even worse!
Nowadays, I see the Symphony here, cry for help and suggestions ... but when I gave them a suggestion for some Frank Zappa, they promptly put Pink Martini on their program, to make it look like overaged sexy is still cool in the same old classic pieces of music.

Likewise, when I saw YES a couple of years ago (before CS left us sadly!), the thing that bothered me the most? The audience ... the smelliest (not really sweat like the old LZ days! Or dope like PF days!) and the most make up of any audience I have ever seen, to the point of me thinking that this was the kind of imaginary beauty that they all envisioned with YES music? I can handle going on a date at 67 ... but having to put on all that?

Times change and the main audience for most music anywhere is always the 20's and the 30's more or less and they carry it for each generation ... the only fear I have is that the folks that are now listening to rap, are going to kill it before they get old! And never see anything again.

Reminds me of a line in a movie to Mick Jagger ... you'll look funny at 65 with make up on!

What happened to the music?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 21:25
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I really am not interested in music from the 30's to 50's (though perhaps I should check out for any good stuff, but somehow I guess it would be the odd one out).
Gershwin. 

The music of George Gershwin, I feel hits some of the same chords as prog in this proghead. (And I enjoy Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven)

-------------
-John

Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 23:50
About fifties interesting music everybody who is interested in experimental music should check out Harry Partch. It´s not just interesting music, he even made own instruments that are based on the ancient instruments. Really great & weird sounds!

Posted By: Braka
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 02:37
I think there are huge social changes involved in all of this, but one which is probably underappreciated is the role of technology and communications.

Prog rock just doesn't lend itself to the soundbyte mentality of generations raised on MTV and then MP3's and itunes. itunes enourages the downloading of single tracks rather than the in-context downloading of entire concept albums, played track by track in the order they were supposed to be heard. I only have to go and look at the track lists on the music app on my ipad to see that people aren't reviewing (and presumably therefore not downloading) longer, or 'album only' tracks.

I suppose in a sense that's just a modern version of the single vs the album, still, it doesn't seem a very prog-friendly method of accessing music.

Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 02:46
Music just seem not to be as much passion to the most people´s as it has been. Of course there always been quite little people who it means as much as it means to me.

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 12:36
Well, music doesn't mean the same thing to the young people today it meant 40 years ago. I mean, back then, few teenagers had their own TV set, and video games were unheard of. Also, pop music is no longer predominantly based on rock. Rather, it is now mostly based on R&B, hip-hop and EDM, making rock a specialist genre much as jazz has ever been since WWII - a genre predominantly listened to by adults.

There probably is a difference between the audiences of classic prog acts and those of more modern ones - the latter will be younger on average, but still mostly above 20.

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 13:09
Hi,

I might like to add that there is one thought that seems to repeat itself time and again ... and it is that when your kids are old enough they kindly (or unkindly sometimes) tell you to stuff it and go their own way, pretty much the same way you and I did.

That means that what they like is not your cup of tea, and they are into beers and some booze and maybe some dope and rap, and you are not ... anymore!

Thus the fact that "older" music has a tendency to be found again, and appreciated by a different generation and we're seeing that NOW with the "progressive music" thing, and if you go look at the history of many composers, a lot of them were not exactly appreciated during their time, and many biographies study how they coped.

It seems to me that nothing has changed, except the clothing, and now we have some instruments that do not need strings at all! And we still don't like rap, like the kids do. Well, you know them well that many of our parents did not like the loud noise we were listening to, either.

As a joke, in the Edgar Froese book there is a funny bit ... it took a religion 500 years to admit that the earth was not flat ... and apologize to Galileo. Sometimes it takes too long ... but a certain thing called "internet" brought to us music from everywhere, and some folks had not forgotten a great bunch of pieces of music, that will likely be remembered for a long time ... I think we call many of these "progressive", right?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: fredyair
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 21:26
It has been very enlightening reading all the replies to my simple question, many different points of view and interpretations. 
Getting old is not that bad, at least now, like some people pointed out, I can afford to go to any concert that pleases me, not only for the money but because of not having so many obligations with the kids out of the house. 
Have fun guys, keep progging!

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 22:53
^to getting older is not automatically means you have more money, at the moment I have quite as little money as I have when I started my studies.

Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 02:16
"Prog rock? You mean what the cavemen listened to?" Tongue Cool

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 02:22
^No, they didn´t listen it, they´re doing it all together!

Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 07:54
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

"Prog rock? You mean what the cavemen listened to?" Tongue Cool

Nahhhh ... the cavemen and the monkeys (gorillas?) were too busy using bones to bash anything, and I actually had the thought that SK was trying to show us what the first music was in that 2001, A Space Weirdness thing! One problem ... the bones had no strings and were not exactly tuned!

Btw, the sound of the bones is touched up so they do not sound so bad ... and that was the reason why I thought it might have been an attempt at showing us where music came from accidentally. As for us, oh well, who woulda thought that bones were what made us ... the wrong bones, of course!

Embarrassed

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 16:36
Yes is always looking for new ways to make money so I guess a Yes Nursing Home tour is right around the cornerLOL

Posted By: Jzrk
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 17:05
Sorry all you young whipper snappers But can you use a larger font so I can read what you youngins are sayin!

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 17:42
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Yes is always looking for new ways to make money so I guess a Yes Nursing Home tour is right around the cornerLOL

That's cold!!  Funny, but cold!!  LOL

My wife and I just bought a new home in a 55+ housing community in southern Arizona (very near to Mexico, a country I dearly love), and there is an American Indian casino up the road near Tucson.  Morris Day & the Time are playing there, and I saw the old road warriors Foghat (what's left of them) coming, so a Yes appearance wouldn't be a stretch. 

I'll probably put on my own prog show for the 55+ grey hairs, and treat them to my own guitar versions of "Red," "Your's Is No Disgrace" etc.  I rather doubt they'll be appreciative however.  We'll see. 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 22:13
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Well, music doesn't mean the same thing to the young people today it meant 40 years ago. I mean, back then, few teenagers had their own TV set, and video games were unheard of. Also, pop music is no longer predominantly based on rock. Rather, it is now mostly based on R&B, hip-hop and EDM, making rock a specialist genre much as jazz has ever been since WWII - a genre predominantly listened to by adults.

There probably is a difference between the audiences of classic prog acts and those of more modern ones - the latter will be younger on average, but still mostly above 20.

While this may appear to be true, I know of a young band Perfect Strangers (named after Deep Purple indeed) who fuse classic rock and prog but attempt to apply it to contemporary themes (including a track about the 'Selfie' phenomenon). I THINK there's no hard and fast thing that people have to enjoy and emulate current trends in music. That is a carryover from the 60s to 80s when the big labels exerted enormous control over music. Films like Godfather or Taxi Driver have a cult following while literature students are asked to read Jane Austen. Why would it be any different in the case of music? Maybe some styles like 60s/70s rock hold an aesthetic appeal that is more enduring and is revisited even by people born long after the era when these styles were born.

Posted By: dbeckton89
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 04:14
I'm 28 and consider myself a pretty big prog fan. I'll be attending steven wilson, jethro tull, roger waters, camel and king crimson gigs this year....some of those will be with my brother who is 3 years younger than me.

It's a funny thing. Most older people find it weird when they encounter us younger fans.

The amount of older people I've met who can't comprehend or even believe that I like this music is pretty shocking, they've said things like ''...nah you're not old enough to get it.'' or ''you won't understand, you weren't there.''

I know, I'm fully aware of how old I am and when I exist in this timeline... I always feel like saying, put yourself in my shoes, or a younger persons shoes, we didn't get this music handed to us when it came out like you guys did (maybe it wasn't handed to you, but it was definitely more accessible) we had to really search to find this stuff initially. The amount of music (or what passes for music) that's out there these days can be overwhelming if you really think about it.

To have discovered music of this quality, which carries the messages it does, is something almost unheard of anywhere else.

It's going to be hard for teenagers and future generations to discover Prog music because they are so heavily programmed from birth now that the thought of going back and discovering older music wouldn't even enter their head, so not just prog but older music in general. I've spoken to teenagers who think the 90's is super old.

Some young people these days even think that the earth is only 2018 years old.

Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 04:21
^I am just thinking it´s only great when younger people find prog!

But on the other hand I think we have more common than difference, I wasn´t also there (I am "only" 45 years old). I think also most young people just don´t want to listen 20st century music, but I believe there always going to be ones who want.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 05:56
Originally posted by dbeckton89 dbeckton89 wrote:

I'm 28 and consider myself a pretty big prog fan. I'll be attending steven wilson, jethro tull, roger waters, camel and king crimson gigs this year....some of those will be with my brother who is 3 years younger than me.

It's a funny thing. Most older people find it weird when they encounter us younger fans.

The amount of older people I've met who can't comprehend or even believe that I like this music is pretty shocking, they've said things like ''...nah you're not old enough to get it.'' or ''you won't understand, you weren't there.''

I know, I'm fully aware of how old I am and when I exist in this timeline... I always feel like saying, put yourself in my shoes, or a younger persons shoes, we didn't get this music handed to us when it came out like you guys did (maybe it wasn't handed to you, but it was definitely more accessible) we had to really search to find this stuff initially. The amount of music (or what passes for music) that's out there these days can be overwhelming if you really think about it.

To have discovered music of this quality, which carries the messages it does, is something almost unheard of anywhere else.

It's going to be hard for teenagers and future generations to discover Prog music because they are so heavily programmed from birth now that the thought of going back and discovering older music wouldn't even enter their head, so not just prog but older music in general. I've spoken to teenagers who think the 90's is super old.

I am only a few years older than you and was just over 20 when I got into prog rock. Keep on progging.

Posted By: Jzrk
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 17:52
Good for you go with the music you like no mattter when it was made
A lot of people were into the old blues and jazz greats of the 50’s in theb79’s and 80’s and beyond
And nothing worse than someone telling a young fan they don’t get it because they weren’t there
That’s a bunch of bs doesn’t matter when you heard it if you like it!

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 08:16
Originally posted by dbeckton89 dbeckton89 wrote:

Hats off to you my friend!Clap

Although I rabbit on like an old bloke, being in my mid 50's meant I was actually the annoying much younger brother / kid at school who heard this music and loved it and tried to engage with old sibblings/ kids at school who tended to scoff, look down their noses and say f*** off kid, you cant like this sort of music.. but there were older kids and friends older brothers who did encourage, make tapes for you etc.. and I guess its probably the same today. I know there are lots of young musicians and fans out there making and appreciating quality music of all genres and periods (my 22 year old son is one), a lot of respect and willingness to explore and mix it up. Any old fart who says 'you don't understand, you needed to be there' is best ignored as all the history, atmosphere, sense of age and place as well as philosophy, politics, spirituality and science of the age (if you want to see it) is contained in the ready made 'time capsules' that are, basically, any lps from any age. 

But reminiscence and nostalgia are inevitably linked with getting older and, sadly, often with neural degenerative syndromes (my mother suffered from this) and although it was distressing in many ways to hear, the clarity with which she could recall landscapes, events, peoples faces, poetry and music from her youth brought her much joy and became brighter and more vivid as the every day present retreated.. When music that has meant so much and moved one so deeply is so ingrained with ones youth its hardly surprising people revel in and cherish its memory as they get older.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 14:22

^I am just thinking it´s only great when younger people find prog!

But on the other hand I think we have more common than difference, I wasn´t also there (I am "only" 45 years old). I think also most young people just don´t want to listen 20st century music, but I believe there always going to be ones who want.

Yes, it's just sad that the already tiny younger audience is getting even smaller the further we progress.

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 14:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I am only a few years older than you and was just over 20 when I got into prog rock. Keep on progging.

Oh I will my friend, I will. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 14:29
Originally posted by Jzrk Jzrk wrote:

Good for you go with the music you like no mattter when it was made
A lot of people were into the old blues and jazz greats of the 50’s in theb79’s and 80’s and beyond
And nothing worse than someone telling a young fan they don’t get it because they weren’t there
That’s a bunch of bs doesn’t matter when you heard it if you like it!

Exactly, also I think people can get very defensive with music especially if it's something that's had such an impact, it maybe comes across as patronizing when they're just being passionate.

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 14:40
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Hats off to you my friend!Clap

Although I rabbit on like an old bloke, being in my mid 50's meant I was actually the annoying much younger brother / kid at school who heard this music and loved it and tried to engage with old sibblings/ kids at school who tended to scoff, look down their noses and say f*** off kid, you cant like this sort of music.. but there were older kids and friends older brothers who did encourage, make tapes for you etc.. and I guess its probably the same today. I know there are lots of young musicians and fans out there making and appreciating quality music of all genres and periods (my 22 year old son is one), a lot of respect and willingness to explore and mix it up. Any old fart who says 'you don't understand, you needed to be there' is best ignored as all the history, atmosphere, sense of age and place as well as philosophy, politics, spirituality and science of the age (if you want to see it) is contained in the ready made 'time capsules' that are, basically, any lps from any age. 

But reminiscence and nostalgia are inevitably linked with getting older and, sadly, often with neural degenerative syndromes (my mother suffered from this) and although it was distressing in many ways to hear, the clarity with which she could recall landscapes, events, peoples faces, poetry and music from her youth brought her much joy and became brighter and more vivid as the every day present retreated.. When music that has meant so much and moved one so deeply is so ingrained with ones youth its hardly surprising people revel in and cherish its memory as they get older.

Well said.

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 16:48
Yeah, I would just think that most younger people who are into music at least know about prog but only a handful of them are really into it. Why? Because there's so many genres out there and unless they connect the dots from Pink Floyd or Rush(assuming they are fans of them in the first place)to the more obscure stuff they are likely to just say "oh yeah, prog, that's like Pink Floyd" and not explore any further. They might even go through their life thinking Pink Floyd and one or two other bands(probably Rush and Dream Theater)are the only prog bands out there. Prog is off most peoples radar in general though not just younger people. Typically it's something you find out about by accident or like I said before connect the dots from a well known band. However, there's probably a lot of fans of Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, ELP etc who never become big prog fans. I think a lot of it is how much you are into it and how much you want to explore new music.

I myself first got into prog in the eighties as a teen so I wasn't really there from the beginning(no ELP pun intended ;) )either. Sometimes I wonder how many other forty something prog fans are out there. It seems to me that there might actually be more prog fans in their twenties these days then those in my age range. I guess I'll never know for sure. 

I think ultimately it's about exposure. Some younger folks are discovering prog but they are probably finding out about it through the association it has with other genres such as prog metal or post rock.  The younger folks aren't exposed to Yes, Genesis, ELP, KC, GG etc much but they are exposed to the fringe prog and or nu prog(ie Radiohead, Muse, Umphreys, Tool, etc)and prog metal such as Haken, Between the Buried and Me, Mastodon, etc. 

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 18:06

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

That's cold!!  Funny, but cold!!  LOL

Hi,

Well, at least they will have colorful clothing, and above all ... some make up to make the colors more attractive!

Well, if you know how to sue pancake, you can hide some wrinkles ... and color makes it nicer ... it's a form of Hollywood, you know?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: starofsirius7
Date Posted: March 15 2018 at 12:45
I'm new to this forum. But just wanted to add that I just recently saw Steve Hackett and Carl Palmer. At 26 I was the youngest person at the shows. I also met Carl and he seemed really happy to see a younger fan. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way. I WISH I could have seen everyone in their prime! I also know of a few teens on instagram that are into prog. I do feel kind of bummed and wished the fan base was bigger. I don't want this beautiful music to disapear and prog metal/post rock just isn't the same for me. It sucks that's what younger people are into. I also wonder if one's location comes into play. I have never known anyone that was into prog and found out about it through Crimson. I have heard prog was really big in Philadelphia. 

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: March 15 2018 at 21:13
I have 5 kids, all have grown up listening to mom & dad's music (prog, electronic, krautrock, jazz, fusion, classic rock, classical, you name it).

We started taking them to shows as they got a little older... my kids have seen Magma, Jean-Michel Jarre, King Crimson, Stick Men, Steve Hackett... we're all going to see Jarre again in April.

Three of the five show some dedication to the cause.  My oldest daughter (24) typically likes more mainstream stuff, but she was pretty blown away by Magma's show.

My second oldest girl (22), after seeing King Crimson's 2014 show, exclaimed directly after the closing encore of 21st Century Schizoid Man, "I don't think I'll ever get over how good that was."

My son, who is 17, is a full-fledged prog-head, and it's been fun to see him open his ears to new things.  His first ever concert was Magma.  Then Stick Men, then JMJ, then KC... but his favorite band is Ayreon, and he's really starting to get into Rush a lot now too.

My two younger daughters are unimpressed, and I have to listen to Panic at the Disco, 21 Pilots, and various other pop artists when it's their turn at the stereo.

Date Posted: March 15 2018 at 23:17
^You have a great family! From your post came into my mind that near my home village there is small town, where few years ago young guys (about 20 years or so old) founded Zeuhl-group called Dai Kaht. They´ve released one album, haven´t seen them played yet live, but I have seen clips from the internet and they´re really good! Anyway I was in a Magma gig and recocnized one of the player of Dai Kaht. He was there with his parents and what is funny, those parents were sixties-seventies music lovers, but not haven´t listened much prog that time. They said to me even King Crimson wasn´t known in Finland that time at least in their hometown. So their son has started to listen prog and introduced also his parents to it!

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: March 17 2018 at 16:58
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

This is correct, and the dr beat me to it! Wink

I'd say overall, appreciation for classic 70's progressive rock is less and less for the younger crowd. I was 20 when I got into Yes, and I just turned 30 this year. It was cool amongst my college friends and bandmates to hit up the record stores and scoop up the back catalogs of all these killer bands!

Now when I ask peers if they like progressive music, they almost always assume/link me to some sub-par extreme djent-core stuff.

Agree, I was 20 when I got into Yes, but I just turned 66 this year Cry

Posted By: Argos
Date Posted: March 18 2018 at 06:00
I think I'm one of the younger members of this forum (turning 19 in a few days) and I agree with the fact that prog audience might be getting older. While new younger fans may pop up from time to time I still don't know any real-life friends or acquaintances who listen to it. Been trying to get my best friend into it and I'm still waiting for the how it turns out. 

As people above me said there's just so much oversaturation of music nowadays, that even though you can discover any type of music anytime, the chance of ending up listen to prog is very very slim. I think newer and younger fans of prog are more getting into it by following youtubers or suggestions from friends. And this type of spread won't really expand their audience that much.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk