Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113972
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 02:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Stones UK studio album
Posted By: Mortte
Subject: Favourite Stones UK studio album
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:38
There was a Beatles poll, so hereīs Stones poll! Put it favourite way, so I think there will more different votes. Mine is Beggars, I also think itīs their best. You can vote although you havenīt heard them all, just pick your favourite.

Although I think Beatles may be the most important band in the pop music history, I always say Stones in that 60`ties Beatles vs. Stones competition. I think the reason is although I really love art & odd music, I have a RīN`R heart (just like Lou Reed).

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:43
call it nostalgia but Aftermath was the first album RS album I listened to, so it got my vote. 

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:47
^Aftermath was also one of my first Stones albums. Really great, although I love also those earlier Rhythm`n`Blues-albums and they sound really Stones to me, Aftermath was the first album where they found their own true sound. Between also really great, also I think Their Satanic is quite great album although itīs bad reputation.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 09:51
Exile

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:37
Beggars Banquet for me.  It's got everything I could ever want in a Stones album.  Since Brian was such a wreck, Keith handled nearly all the guitar duties (other than the slide part on No Expectations) and the bass part on Sympathy as well...it's Keith's finest hour.

2nd place would go to Exile...

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 10:44
While I consider Exile to be the most overrated canonized classic rock-album of all times, I think Stones were pretty awesome from 1966 to 1969. Perhaps Buttons is a little weaker than the other four albums released during that period, but Aftermath, Satanic, Beggars and Bleed gets more spins than The Beatles albums of the same era. I'm not saying that they're "better" and to my ears none of them are perfect from start to finish - I just enjoy them very much. Let it Bleed perhaps but I could have voted for any of my favorite quartet. 

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 11:06
Sticky Fingers was always my favorite followed by Exile & Beggars Banquet.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 11:27
Like Saper I too find Exiles to be one of the most "overrated" classic rock albums. It's perhaps my least favourite from the 70s. Goats Head Soup today for me...but I guess you already knew that Mårtte
The documentary on Exiles though is a blast! Big french villa, lots of musicians, instruments and drugs. Yep that was a great documentary.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 11:48
there can be only one: "Their Satanic Majestic Request"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 14:50
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

there can be only one: "Their Satanic Majestic Request"
Agree !! One of my favourites from 1967. Mick and the boys crafted one for the ages right here.
Then Goat’s Head Soup is also quite good for the most part.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 16:03
Been a Stones fan from day one...my brother and I had all the 45's.....I think all LP's up to and including It's Only Rock n Roll are fantastic classic rock....some good tracks here and there on the later ones.

Let It Bleed for me...Gimme Shelter is simply superb rock....menacing... rocking...and it's apocalyptic....though on any given day it could be Beggars , Sticky, or Exiles...

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 16:22
Exile - Mick Taylor brought something special to the band.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 17:08
LET IT BLEED... a perfect album.  I rank it SO highly.. in my top 10 albums alltime.. I even got it included on the PA's greatest album list hahah. I've accomplished many great things in my time here at PA's.. but that one might have just taken the cake.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 22:18
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Like Saper I too find Exiles to be one of the most "overrated" classic rock albums. It's perhaps my least favourite from the 70s. Goats Head Soup today for me...but I guess you already knew that Mårtte
The documentary on Exiles though is a blast! Big french villa, lots of musicians, instruments and drugs. Yep that was a great documentary.
...Specially when the final album is mostly recorded in the L.A. They used lot of hours in French to this album and then made the final record quite fast in the L.A. To me Exile is not overrated at all, it really works great as a double (much better for example than Yes Topograph). To me Beggars, Let it Bleed, Sticky and Exile are almost as great, but if I had to choose itīs Beggars. But Goats, Between and Itīs Only RīN`R are also really close.

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 22:21
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Gimme Shelter is simply superb rock..
Best Stones song IMO!

Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 22:23
Great so many different albums voted! Have to say here I think Stones made quite good albums in the eighties and nineties, to me Tattoo You, Undercover, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon are better than Black And Blue or Emotional Rescue.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk